Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/17/2007 4:53:40 PM EDT
I'm thinking of converting my Romanian SAR-2 rifle into a East German AK-74 type rifle.  Did the East German rifles have an AKM type Gas Block or the newer Russian AK-74 style Gas Block??  If it had the newer AK-74 style Gas Block, which one would be the closest match, a Russian/Bulgarian or the Polish Tantal Gas Block??  

Since I would like to build an "early" version of the rifle with a right side folding stock, did the East Germans use a Pistol Grip Reenforcement Plate on their folding stock rifles??

Any information and or photos on an East German AK-74 rifle showing the factory markings and their locations would be very helpful.  

Also a serial number example would be great too!!

Thanks for all the assistance with this project!!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Only pic I could find of something like that.  MPi-AKS 74N
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the photos!!  This will not be as easy as I though since I now need to find a Polish Tantal Parts Kit to finish this project... Does anybody know where I can find a Tantal Kit or a Tantal Barrel Assembly at a fair price??

Also, did the East Germans make a Fixed Stock version of the AK-74??  If so, can anybody post a photo of it too??

Again, thanks!!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Also, did the East Germans make a Fixed Stock version of the AK-74??  If so, can anybody post a photo of it too??

IIRC same funky pebbled brown plastic stock as their AKM but with a ribbed buttplate & wider sling swivel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the photos!!  This will not be as easy as I though since I now need to find a Polish Tantal Parts Kit to finish this project... Does anybody know where I can find a Tantal Kit or a Tantal Barrel Assembly at a fair price??

Again, thanks!!

[email protected]

Why would you need a Tantal kit? The MPiKS-74N is nothing like a Tantal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I only need the Barrel Assembly.  Since I don't think anybody is willing to sell just the Barrel Assembly and Bolt, I guess have to go with the full kit.  I have a spare Bulgarian Front Sight Block and an East German Muzzle Break with a East German Stock Set to finish the look.  

The Barrel on my SAR-2 seems a little thinner and it has the AKM type Gas Block, which wouldn't work with a newer AK-74 Gas Block without re-drilling the gas port hole.  The more I think about it, I might just go with a stripped AK receiver.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the photo!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top