Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/16/2010 2:23:28 PM EDT
Hello all.  I recently purchased a Century WASR 10/63 and while I checked it for a canted front sight, I overlooked the gas tube.  Here are images of the offset shown down the barrel and at the handguard retainer.  My primary questions are:

1. Will the piston rub against the side of the gas tube and wear either the piston or even the gas tube to a point where it would be dangerous?  Or is there enough slop that the piston won't rub?

2. Will the offset affect my ability to mount alternate handguards, either railed or a set like Tapco?

3. What would a gunsmith charge to straighten this?  I am just looking for an estimate to see if it is costly even if this is just a cosmetic issue.

Thanks for any input.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m385/JD-Man_photo/WASR_10_63/photo3.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m385/JD-Man_photo/WASR_10_63/photo2.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m385/JD-Man_photo/WASR_10_63/photo4.jpg

JD
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:40:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1. Will the piston rub against the side of the gas tube and wear either the piston or even the gas tube to a point where it would be dangerous?  Or is there enough slop that the piston won't rub?
The piston may rub depending on how far the gas block is off. More likely is that the front of the carrier will rub against the rear sight base. In any case it's not dangerous.
2. Will the offset affect my ability to mount alternate handguards, either railed or a set like Tapco?
I can't help with that.

3. What would a gunsmith charge to straighten this?  I am just looking for an estimate to see if it is costly even if this is just a cosmetic issue.
You should ask a local 'smith.

Does the rifle cycle when you shoot it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]
It has gone "bang" every time for 200 round.  I am just trying to see if this is strictly a cosmetic issue or if there is a potential issue with replacement hand guards or excessive wear on internal components.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
If you field strip the rifle you will see that the piston can easily rattle around inside the gas tube.  It is not a precision fit (far from it).

Cant is easier to recognize from the muzzle end (obviously - unload the rifle!)  Looking from the rear your eyes can play tricks on you, both when checking for front sight cant, and gas tube cant.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
So operationally there are no issues.  What about the issue with a rail handguard misalignment?
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top