Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2013 12:07:46 AM EDT
I am looking for a mount for my Vepr .308 and was wondering which is better, the NPZ or ALFA Extra Low AK to Weaver Mount.  The ALFA from Kalinka is supposed to be centered and the NPZ is slightly off center.  I know the NPZ gets high praise, what about the ALFA?

ALFA from Kalinka
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The NPZ mount has been well documented here.  I have been very curious about the Alfa mount for some time now, but have yet to see a single review from anyone on it.  Not willing to be the guinea pig on this one, especially with Kalinka as the vendor.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like the Alpha is an interesting mount based on the pics but after looking at them I see a lot of screws and that the base clamp is different than NPZ's. The weight looks good which is a plus but all things considered I'm doubting it's as durable as the NPZ.

I was going to wait a bit to pick this one up but I went ahead and ordered it tonight. Will post a review when it gets here.

Z
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was going to wait a bit to pick this one up but I went ahead and ordered it tonight. Will post a review when it gets here.
Z
View Quote

I couldn't resist and ordered one today also for my .308 Vepr.  Blew all my accumulated Rubles/points on it.

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they are probably nice enough.  I have seen them in use over there in pictures.  It is similar to the Upiter mount which looks nicer than both the NPZ and Alfa mount.  I have not seen those available but a Russian vendor carries them.  I would have to find the link.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
For $200, it needs to be better than good.  The RS AK-300 series base with AKR rail costs less and I know that is a top of the line piece.  At this price-point, there are really no excuses for anything being substandard.

Got my Alfa for significantly less than $200 because I was able to cash in my Rubles/points.

Expectations are high on my end.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I went ahead and got one of the NPZ mounts off of Oleg.  Can't wait to get it and see how it works.  Thanks for all of the replies, the NPZ seemed to be the safe option to get me up and running.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For $200, it needs to be better than good.  The RS AK-300 series base with AKR rail costs less and I know that is a top of the line piece.  At this price-point, there are really no excuses for anything being substandard.

Got my Alfa for significantly less than $200 because I was able to cash in my Rubles/points.

View Quote

Agreed.  I really see no advantage over the RS or even the MI rail mount except for the person wanting something unique or Russian.  Here is the Jupiter mount.  This is the one you see the guys over there using quite often, usually in combination with an Eotech.

http://www.jupiter-optics.com/kreplenie.htm
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Agreed.  I really see no advantage over the RS or even the MI rail mount except for the person wanting something unique or Russian.  Here is the Jupiter mount.  This is the one you see the guys over there using quite often, usually in combination with an Eotech.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wanted to get a Jupiter mount. I'll have to bug some contacts to see if they can't get one for me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
What advantages does the Jupiter mount have over the NPZ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Without knowing how much it weighs it's hard to say, but looking at the pic it really doesn't seem like they are very different. It looks like slightly more rail-estate to the rear but about the same to the front, so maybe a couple more inches of rail at most. More pics and different angles would help.

Based on my experience with these mounts it looks like the finish and the clamping mechanism are the same or very similar to the NPZ, so IMO they ought to be in the same class quality and weight wise.

Z
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't exactly agree.

Scot's new AK300 mount is very good and has my respect for sure, but the NPZ is in a league of it's own quality wise. I haven't found a single mount yet out of all the ones I've handled that I thought was higher quality. I've handled three different NPZ mounts both AK and SVD and they were all really well built. Big plus for me is the NPZ clamp is the same as the military grade clamps like 1PN34 and Rakurs for example. I still believe the NPZ mount is the best even compared to the SVD mount and it's universal variation, as well as Zeiss and all the others.

Having said that you pay for it in weight compared to some mounts - and in dollars due to rarity. While it's top notch that doesn't mean a few of the other high end rails aren't going to do as good a job in real life. The AK300 is a more practical rail for example...it works, it's tough and is readily available here in the states for a good price. If weight were my primary concern I'd go with it any day of the week. If weight were not the biggest factor, or I wanted to mount an optic to an SVD or use modern night vision I'd pick the NPZ over anything else including MI, KVar and BP02.

Z
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The Alpha mount arrived today and it looks good. Will try to get some pics up this weekend and get a better idea of what it's all about
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty impressed with the mount I have to say. Thought it might cut corners compared to the NPZ but it appears to be a high quality unit. The finish is even and nicely done, the screws look uniform and the clamping mechanism is very good. NPZ definitely has the better clamp but Alpha's is certainly high quality and will probably be just as good. Weight is only 1 oz difference between Alpha and NPZ, with Alpha being 9.1 and NPZ being 10.3.

You can use the irons with this mounted and the front site post will be centered down the channel in the rail. With NPZ you can also still use the irons but NPZ is slightly more to the left of the receiver and the front site post will be visible but not centered in the rail channel.

All in all more impressed than I thought I might be. Alpha looks pretty good.

NPZ on top

With Konus MRD

PO 4x24P

Z
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Refrained from further comment in this thread until my new rings arrived and I had a chance to get this rig to the range and try it out.  Rifle is a .308 Vepr, scope is a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 Mil/Mil.
I have an obscene number of left-over rings laying around, but all of them were either too short or unnecessarily tall with the Alpha.  I'm kinda OCD about my optics and had to order new rings.  My new Burris XTR medium height rings are perfect, got about 1/16" clearance at the scope's objective.
The Alpha mount is not centered on my .308 Vepr, it's offset approximately 1/16" to the right.  I consider this to be a non-issue, and it's better than the MI mount previously on this rifle, which was offset to the right about 1/8".
Had no issues with the mount at the range, the scope was zeroed at 100 yards quickly and easily with minimal adjustments.  Fired 80 rounds in total.  The scope had previously lived on my other .308 Vepr with a Molot mount and Warne rings.
My Karsten cheek rest is coming off the sidelines and going back on this rifle with this set-up, the cheek weld sucks balls.  The Karsten will easily remedy this.
A couple of pics:

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone has a pic of the NPZ rail on a Vepr 7.62x54R?  I wonder how much rail estate you get in the front compare with the Alpha?  I got a Vepr 7.62x54 with flip rear sight and looking to put a Weaver Super Slam 2-10x42 on it.  Tried MI mount but couldn't get the scope far enough to the front to get a good eye relief.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Anyone has a pic of the NPZ rail on a Vepr 7.62x54R?
View Quote

Pic and rifle belong to Hilljack, another member here:

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like it's longer than MI rail. I'm looking at a Gunbroker auction, this guy selling one that looks identical to NPZ mount but he said it was made by Tula?  I'm not sure if there's any difference.  From the pic he posted (mount on a vepr also?) at Gunbroker Ad it looks just a bid shorter in the front than Hijacks pic?

Had it on MI with Warne forward mount, but puts the scope way too high for my liking.... lf I can just have more rail in the front I can use a regular rings which I hope to put the scope as low as possible...
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Looks like it's longer than MI rail. I'm looking at a Gunbroker auction, this guy selling one that looks identical to NPZ mount but he said it was made by Tula?  I'm not sure if there's any difference.  From the pic he posted (mount on a vepr also?) at Gunbroker Ad it looks just a bid shorter in the front than Hijacks pic?

View Quote

The mount in that Gunbroker auction is a NPZ mount, you can clearly see NPZ's logo in this pic:

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Definitely an NPZ mount as LM said. If I had to guess I'd say in that guy's pic the NPZ isn't pushed all the way forward. There is a larger gap between the rear sight leaf and the front of the mount than there should be.  

There are two versions of the NPZ mount but they are the SVD low profile vs the slightly taller AK mount, I'm not aware of a difference in overall length between the two.

Z
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Liquidmetal and Z, that explains it!!
I thought there's more than one manufactures that make the NPZ type mount.  I guess I'll need a set of high rings for a 42 objective scope to clear the rear sight?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I guess I'll need a set of high rings for a 42 objective scope to clear the rear sight?
View Quote

"High" is a relative term when it comes to rings, each manufacturer has their own height spec for what they consider to be high rings.

I usually wait until I have the mount and scope in hand so I can accurately measure for rings on the rifle.  That way I can tuck that scope in nice and low (while still clearing the RSB/rear sight) for an optimum cheek weld.  Not to imply that the factory stock provides a good cheek weld because it doesn't with scopes that extend over the RSB.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:13:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't exactly agree.

Scot's new AK300 mount is very good and has my respect for sure, but the NPZ is in a league of it's own quality wise. I haven't found a single mount yet out of all the ones I've handled that I thought was higher quality. I've handled three different NPZ mounts both AK and SVD and they were all really well built. Big plus for me is the NPZ clamp is the same as the military grade clamps like 1PN34 and Rakurs for example. I still believe the NPZ mount is the best even compared to the SVD mount and it's universal variation, as well as Zeiss and all the others.

Having said that you pay for it in weight compared to some mounts - and in dollars due to rarity. While it's top notch that doesn't mean a few of the other high end rails aren't going to do as good a job in real life. The AK300 is a more practical rail for example...it works, it's tough and is readily available here in the states for a good price. If weight were my primary concern I'd go with it any day of the week. If weight were not the biggest factor, or I wanted to mount an optic to an SVD or use modern night vision I'd pick the NPZ over anything else including MI, KVar and BP02.

Z
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't exactly agree.

Z

indeed. The NPZ Universial mount and NPZ SVD mount (just sits lower due to the slimmer body of the SVD)are really in the league of their own.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Alright guys I finally got the NPZ mount in... first time using this mount not sure if I did it right.  I turned the lever to the left and pressed it all the way down but not sure if the other side is clamp on completely... I took some pic of it.  Is it properly clamped on?  

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#24]
It looks ok to me from the pics. How was the tension when the lever locked closed? Did it take a lot of force or was it easy to close (or in between)?

Z
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#25]
It took some force to turn the lever.  After I couldn't turn no more I got the little metal hook thing over... I lightly tapped the bottom of it with a hammer to got it over the main metal loop.  I guess that's what locks it in place, but I couldn't get the lever high enough, I think it's as high as it'll go.  Hopefully it'll lock up from the heavy recoils.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top