Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2011 6:57:58 PM EDT
I have a SLR-106UR, and now a AKS-74U on the way. My plan is to mount Aimpoint Micros on both. I know that the preferred mounting options seem to be either a Stormwerkz rail or the new AKSU sized Ultimak rail.

For those that have tried both, which one do you prefer? I realize that the Stormwerkz does not permit co-witness and that the Ultimak does, but from a usability perspective, which one do you like more?
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Arms #31 mount for me, not worried about cowitness because of the QD

eta: haven't tried both on the AKSU but I have used an Ultimak on a fullsize 74 for about a year. I think the Ultimak is fine but not really necessary when there are other effective ways to mount a red dot, since the Stormwerkz has worked great it's not worth the effort to use an Ultimak. Like I said I have no use for cowitness because of the QD and generally don't count cowitness as a must have.

Z
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Midwest Industries also makes a top cover option.
MI Handguards
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I voted ultimak, now I have no experience with it on mine, but I use one for one of my 74's and it's a pretty decent little setup.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 6:00:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I understand that the QD mitigates the lack of co-witness, but that solution seems to make the optic sit awful high. Do you think the optic hight makes it more difficult to get on target?
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Where can I find the Stormwerkz with Micro integral mount?  I checked their site and couldn't locate it, only the railed model.

http://www.stormwerkz.com/Description_Pages/BULGARIAN_SM_AKSU_01_Views.html

Link Posted: 9/6/2011 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that the QD mitigates the lack of co-witness, but that solution seems to make the optic sit awful high. Do you think the optic hight makes it more difficult to get on target?

No, I haven't felt like it's too high at all. Actually for me offhand it's more comfortable than a lower mounted optic.

Z
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where can I find the Stormwerkz with Micro integral mount?  I checked their site and couldn't locate it, only the railed model.

Doesn't exist, I think he was referring to this:
http://www.militarywarfighter.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Aimpoint-12184&gdftrk=gdfV21636_a_7c75_a_7c160_a_7cAimpoint_d_12184
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was referring to the Aimpoint base/mount that comes with the optic, though you can order it without one to I believe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Gotcha, I'm currently using a MI rail with T1 top cover on my 107UR but am always looking at other options.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gotcha, I'm currently using a MI rail with T1 top cover on my 107UR but am always looking at other options.

I really wish that top cover would work without the proprietary lower handguard. I have come to really dislike metal lower HG's.

I wonder if stormwerkz did make an aimpoint specific mount if it would co-witness? Seems like it would be lower but how much lower?
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Damn good looking weapon!  
Not sure how you would improve it.  Not a big co-witness fan either, prefer an uncluttered dot.

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top