Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Not an expert, but would think it needs to go back to the shop if it's bad enough. Need to get the opposite channel/lug to wear somehow to balance it out, would think anyway.

My bigger concern for mine is the ejector wearing so much it no longer ejects or isn't reliable.  Can always install another barrel and bolt in the future, but not sure you can fix a worn ejector
View Quote

You can weld material back on to an ejector. It's been 20 years since I was really into AK's but I seem to recall hearing that was done back in the day.

Link Posted: 10/29/2022 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By drobs:

You can weld material back on to an ejector. It's been 20 years since I was really into AK's but I seem to recall hearing that was done back in the day.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not an expert, but would think it needs to go back to the shop if it's bad enough. Need to get the opposite channel/lug to wear somehow to balance it out, would think anyway.

My bigger concern for mine is the ejector wearing so much it no longer ejects or isn't reliable.  Can always install another barrel and bolt in the future, but not sure you can fix a worn ejector

Good to know
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
SOB! It ran perfect for 4 mags - 120rds. Then 3 other surplus mags had instant failure to ejects + 2 broken shell casings. Using 55 gr PMC 5.56.
The Tapco mag seems to be flawless.

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS what's your return policy? I'm about done with one I bought from you. It doesn't work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!

I’m jelly
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Everywhere I look Tapcos are OOS....I have also read Tapco is no more, you know if this is true?

I have a WTB for Tapcos but I doubt anyone will sell if that is what the gun runs best with. I guess I will be limited to the one mine came with. I bought two surplus 35 rounders but have not tried them yet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:48:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MSOGDAWG] [#6]
Hopefully my gun will be here this Weds or Thurs

Trying to get a replacement rear for a bonesteel brace but I am not 100% certain what hardware I will need for the rear.

Also thinking of coating my grip and handguard in OD. I did that on iGun pro and it looked pretty cool.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#7]
Originally Posted By MSOGDAWG:

Everywhere I look Tapcos are OOS....I have also read Tapco is no more, you know if this is true?

I have a WTB for Tapcos but I doubt anyone will sell if that is what the gun runs best with. I guess I will be limited to the one mine came with. I bought two surplus 35 rounders but have not tried them yet.
View All Quotes

Should have spent a few more bucks and got the new production rock n lock magazines

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/iwi-galil-rock-n-lock-35-round-magazine.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Should have spent a few more bucks and got the new production rock n lock magazines

View All Quotes

Would have but they were OOS at time of order....I am waiting on restock notification tho.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#9]

View Quote

Per IWI those only work with the Galil Ace. In stock at IWI, hell lets throw some more $ at this turd.
https://iwi.us/product/5-56-nato-rock-n-lock-magazine/

Hopefully they aren't just refinished surplus mags. I got 2 of those (refinished) that don't work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Per IWI those only work with the Galil Ace. In stock at IWI, hell lets throw some more $ at this turd.

Hopefully they aren't just refinished surplus mags. I got 2 of those (refinished) that don't work.
View All Quotes

Are you sure they're the same mags?

If they are I got 5 a few months back and haven't had any issues with mine. Got the ones from mag warehouse.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Zooming in pretty close they appear the same. Tried finding a SKU or part # on IWI to compare to Gunmag Wharehouse but didnt see one (dont mean I didnt overlook it though)
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Are you sure they're the same mags?

If they are I got 5 a few months back and haven't had any issues with mine. Got the ones from mag warehouse.
View Quote

I ordered some, we'll see.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Folks...you  do  know  the   bolt  receiver lug  cut  outs  are  staggered and   their  are like  30  different bolt specs. The   bolt  is a  A7  which  means   the  measurement difference  between  lugs  are  .007.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:12:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#14]
Originally Posted By howardhughes:
Folks...you  do  know  the   bolt  receiver lug  cut  outs  are  staggered and   their  are like  30  different bolt specs. The   bolt  is a  A7  which  means   the  measurement difference  between  lugs  are  .007.
View Quote

Yes on the first part. And second part just makes me think ATI is lazy. Sounds like they don't want to properly fit the bolts to the receiver.  And even if they did want to, if the channels are cut incorrectly one lug will match up great and the other not so much. Look at the pic I posted ones tight AF and the other is like 1/8".
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

And your point is what? Do you have a bucket of spare bolts? Want to send them to me so I can fit the correct one to this receiver? I'll send you this one back to you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:35:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MSOGDAWG] [#16]
I got my "surplus" mags in from mag wharehouse. If these are "surplus" then they were unused surplus. Mine are beautiful, new in wrapper coated in oil and the follower looks 100% untouched. I cleaned the oil off thinking it may be hiding some imperfections....nope not at all. They both lock up firm and great, I am pretty satisfied. Just need to run em on the range now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

@howardhughes

So, my bolt has A5 so that means the measurement different between lugs is .005?

I also got a parts kit that had a A7. How many different types of bolts are there or what is the measurement range?
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 3:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: howardhughes] [#18]
So  the   bolt  lug  mill  out  in  the  receiver  are  staggered ie...their  is  a  incremental  difference that  is  measured  from  the  receiver  Datum  to  the  respective  bolt  lug   mill  out... if  you  measure the  2   there  will  be a  number...  and  that  number  is  the  bolt  lug  split that  is  numbered  to   the  bolt...  .007  is  a  A7  etc. Look  at  Jeff Millers  u-tube  video  for a  exact  explanation. I  am a Smith  on  the  M14/M1a/Garand  which  has  even   lug distance but  different LOA, lapping  is   quite  different.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 4:04:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: howardhughes] [#19]
DROBS ...My  point  is   go  to  u-tube   and  look  at  jeff  millers  video  on  bolt measurement/ lap. Your   remark  is  a  bit sarcastic   to  be  honest I  wouldn't  send  you  jack with  your  remark.  Get  Educated on  the  weapon.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db5oStsfKuA
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db5oStsfKuA
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#22]
DROBS ...My  point  is   go  to  u-tube   and  look  at  jeff  millers  video  on  bolt measurement/ lap. Your   remark  is  a  bit sarcastic   to  be  honest I  wouldn't  send  you  jack with  your  remark.  Get  Educated on  the  weapon.
View Quote

My criticism still stands even after watching your video. Unless you have a bucket of bolts, that I can swap out till I find the right one, that info you posted isn't helpful.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]
This video might actually help.

Pointing out little factoids about bolt specs really isn't helpful unless you're trying to impress with your knowledge.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#24]
This video might actually help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-LRx-qll2A

Pointing out little factoids about bolt specs really isn't helpful unless you're trying to impress with your knowledge.
View Quote

Where does one get a piece of an old barrel?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Where does one get a piece of an old barrel?
View Quote

It would come with a parts kit, if you were building from a parts kit. With a complete built gun, I would be polishing the bolt in the gun, I have. I'd skip that spring loaded shell casing as well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Okay....dont blast me, I am genuinely trying to learn. How would I know that I would need to lap the bolt. I dont know what or how to look for indicators I may need to do this. I have the ATI Galeo in hand now and it "appears" to my uneducated eye things are OK. Some may say I should know the gun before purchase but I look at it the way the Corps taught me. They issued me a rifle I was never exposed to and taught me a lot about it. What they didnt teach I went out and learned with hands on my own ARs. That said I ask what I need to be aware of. Even if you direct me to videos that are truly helpful I would be appreciative.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay....dont blast me, I am genuinely trying to learn. How would I know that I would need to lap the bolt. I dont know what or how to look for indicators I may need to do this. I have the ATI Galeo in hand now and it "appears" to my uneducated eye things are OK. Some may say I should know the gun before purchase but I look at it the way the Corps taught me. They issued me a rifle I was never exposed to and taught me a lot about it. What they didnt teach I went out and learned with hands on my own ARs. That said I ask what I need to be aware of. Even if you direct me to videos that are truly helpful I would be appreciative.
View Quote

I think the question you're really wanting to know is if you need a new barrel/have too much headspace. Lapping the bolt would just make the bolt fit between the barrel and receiver.

If you've shot your gun you should be fine.

The answer to the question you did ask is, you need a 556 go gauge.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:42:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MSOGDAWG] [#28]

I think the question you're really wanting to know is if you need a new barrel/have too much headspace. Lapping the bolt would just make the bolt fit between the barrel and receiver.

View All Quotes

OK that I can do. I have not shot it yet, so I will check headspace and go from there. Thank-You Sir.
ETA: just picked up a 5.56 Clymer gauge set from Primary Arms
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Jeff Millers video on bolt and receiver markings is interesting, but with out the "missing chart"  the numbers on the bolt and receiver are useless.  

And the numbers on the bolt and the receiver on factory guns rarely match.  Again we need the missing chart or you are back to square one.

Headspace  on an ak (galil) that is using mix matching parts (factory bolt and  US trunnion or US receiver) is a lot more involved than a go-nogo-field.   Jeff video on polishing the bolt and never file or grind on the bolt is spot on.  But this is done before you set the headspace on a new barrel.

even if you are just using a live round to check headspace (remove your firing pin or point down range), even lug engagement is what you should also be looking for.  You can use a sharpie if you dont have dykem....but like I said if your gun has a gap on one lug and it closes on a round...$$$ to fix.... as is the gun is junk and should be taken out of service.  Never trust a clone...not until it has been properly inspected, and even then dont trust it 100%.

What you want is even lug contact, near full lug contact, and ideally, tight headspace (barley closes on a GO)

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 6:31:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#30]
A Missouri Arfcommer (@Mattgunguy) who's built Galils went over both my JRA Galil Rifle and ATI Galil Pistol.

The JRA headspaced just fine. The bolt with the extractor removed, would not close on a No Go or Field Gauge, and closed on the Go gauge. Matt opened the Gas Port in the barrel a little wider. Opening day of deer season was Saturday, I wont be able to test fire it for another week.

The ATI failed the headspacing test. The ATI's bolt with extractor removed closed on all 3 gauges.

I'll be looking to replace the barrel. My plan is to swap it with a full length barrel cut down to 16 inches so I can put a folder on it and not mess with SBR'ing this gun in December.

Edited to add: The IWI Rock & Lock mags fit in the ATI but not my JRA.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
@drobs any update on if opening up the gas port helped?  

My galil is so sexy but damn I wish it worked.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
@drobs any update on if opening up the gas port helped?  

My galil is so sexy but damn I wish it worked.
View Quote

Opening up the gas port on the JRA didn't help. Now it FTE's on the 1st round everytime. The Arfcom member that worked on it for me, mentioned trying an adjustable gas piston. I think that will be the next step or sending it back to JRA.

I picked up a new 18 inch barrel for the ATI from here:
https://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/galilbarrel001.htm

Hoping that cures the head spacing issue. Plus it allows me to put a full stock on it.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine has ran perfect (granted, less than 500 rounds) with Tapco mags, and known-good surplus steel.  Thing must have a gas port the size of a dime though the way it recoils and slings brass.  Put an extra power Wolff recoil spring in it and a buffer.  Seems to help a LITTLE.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:
Mine has ran perfect (granted, less than 500 rounds) with Tapco mags, and known-good surplus steel.  Thing must have a gas port the size of a dime though the way it recoils and slings brass.  Put an extra power Wolff recoil spring in it and a buffer.  Seems to help a LITTLE.
View Quote

Have you checked your lug channels, and what number is on your bolt 50+?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#35]
What parts on the galeo pistol make it 922r complaint?

Barrel, receiver, magazine,?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:30:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#36]
Feedback from Matt in regards to swapping barrels on the ATI:

"ATI installed the barrel wrong. Wasn't screwed all the way in & they used a timing / breaching washer to torque it down which made the headspace long.

Basically,  I'd bet that they bought a crap ton of finished barrels & used the washers to to get the gas port & hand guard retainer cuts & extractor cuts to line up correctly.  Then said good enough on headspace.  

Nothing wrong with using a breaching washer to set headspace,  the Brits use them a lot. But the fiddly bits like gas ports shouldn't be done first."

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#37]
What parts on the galeo pistol make it 922r complaint?

Barrel, receiver, magazine,?
View Quote

I like James River Armory's 922R statement:

"We provide a US made magazine for 922 compliance. Once the rifle has been transferred to an individual this compliance requirement no longer applies."
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:47:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#38]
It works! 16.5 inch barrel added to the ATI. Runs perfectly, I shot 4 x 35rd mags in it yesterday. No failures of any kind.

Attachment Attached File

18 inch barrel cut down to 16.5 inches:

Rock n Lock 35rd mags OOS:
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#39]
It works! 16.5 inch barrel added to the ATI. Runs perfectly, I shot 4 x 35rd mags in it yesterday. No failures of any kind.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/ATI_Galil_Rifle_JPG-2710585.JPG

18 inch barrel cut down to 16.5 inches:

Rock n Lock 35rd mags OOS:
View Quote

Probably cuz it's properly head spaced. I take it you're left handed, how are you liking that sling setup. I came to the exact same conclusion on how to set mine up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Probably cuz it's properly head spaced. I take it you're left handed, how are you liking that sling setup. I came to the exact same conclusion on how to set mine up.
View Quote

Yep I am left handed. Head spacing was everything. I use these ebay extra long slings:

Black - he's out of green at the moment:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312728793932

And these sling adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789ZT8ZV?tag=arfcom00-20

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Now figure out what’s wrong with your Jra so I can fix mine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:30:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#42]
RE 922r fudness - your allowed 10 foreign parts from this list. I'm at 11. I've added a couple more US made parts.  

Looks like magazine followers would be the cheapest replacement.
Old thread on them:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/Replacing-followers-in-Galil-35-round-magazines-/92-167390/

I wonder if a AR15 mag floorplate would fit or could be made to fit a Galil Mag?

receiver - US
barrel - US
muzzle device - US
https://www.cncwarrior.com/category-s/1889.htm
bolt - 1
bolt carrier - 2
piston - 3
trigger - 4  
hammer - 5  
disconnector - 6  
butt stock - 7  
pistol grip - US
https://shop.roninsgrips.com/IMI-Galil-Grip-with-Screw-IMI-Galil.htm
hand guard - 8
mag body - 9  
mag follower - 10
mag floorplate - 11
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Just ordered a KNS piston for my SAR.  Any experience using them in a Galil type rifle?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Just ordered a KNS piston for my SAR.  Any experience using them in a Galil type rifle?
View Quote

Looked at getting one, but a stiffer recoil spring tamed it down quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:30:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#45]
2 second vid - ATI Galil Rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gRJ2eJOgl_s
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:00:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#46]
2 second vid - ATI Galil Rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gRJ2eJOgl_s
View Quote

Nice. Looks pretty slick with the SAR gas system and 16" barrel. Like a mini FAiL or something
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Palmetto state has them on clearance for 750.

Even with the issues they're probably worth it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I just ordered one from PSA. Hope its not a turd. Will post updates when it arrives.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

Buffer after ONE range session. The gas port has to be stupid-huge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#50]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499876/20230519_123204_jpg-2822029.JPG

Buffer after ONE range session. The gas port has to be stupid-huge.
View Quote

Recoil spring wore out?
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top