Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/29/2011 6:56:58 PM EDT
Well here is the results after making the knob in my lathe.

I used polyethelen and high temp silver solder. However, I dont think the bcg is getting hot enough to let the solder flow. I guess I need to try oxy acet or arc weld it. The other option is to tap the hole, make another threaded knob, and locktite it. I could tell things wernt working right since the solder stayed in this big bubble and did not flow at all. Copper is much easier.

The other concern I have, and is why I tested this on this bcg when I can easily by another and not my saiga, is the heat on the metal. I am wondering if this romanian metal will weaken from the heating to solder it.

The top cover was easy to do. I cliped it with HVAC heat metal shears and evened it out with the grinder.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I ordered a tap that was appropriate for that size hole last night. I also ordered a matching die. I will have to turn a new handle and thread it. Note, no one had any die handles for a decent price. The one place that did have them for $4 required a $25 minimum order. I guess I will be ordering some more stuff...

Hopefully, I will cut and thread this thing and add some blue locktight. That is if I dont find the desire to go barrow an oxy accetaline torch on monday morning and do this that way............
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a lot of vibration going on with that thing. I would use red loctite. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
For some reason I was thinking blue was nonserviceable and was gona pick some up. I have tons of little tubes of red and some quickset. I will try the red. If that doesnt hold I will have to take another approach with a torch plus seperate flux and silver solder.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I might also have to lop off the right side charging handle in order to allow for a folder when I SBR. Either that or make a design change to the current one. It might be just me but I will hardly use the right one so that should be the weird location one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For some reason I was thinking blue was nonserviceable and was gona pick some up. I have tons of little tubes of red and some quickset. I will try the red. If that doesnt hold I will have to take another approach with a torch plus seperate flux and silver solder.

IMO, silver solder ain't gonna hold it on.  I'd weld it if I were you.....MIG, TIG or Oxy would be fine.

JMO,

Sean
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are a couple pics of one I had my local shop here in Phoenix do;

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#7]
ZIX! THAT THING IS AMAZING! Love the sights!
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Great idea! Mind if I copy it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Tig welded?

My plan is to avoid paying $250 for a carrier with a cocking handle on the correct side...  I am at a wopping $25 for the 3 foot steel rod, the tap, die, and the holders....
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tig welded?

My plan is to avoid paying $250 for a carrier with a cocking handle on the correct side...  I am at a wopping $25 for the 3 foot steel rod, the tap, die, and the holders....

I think my gunsmith charged me $80-100 for everything.  He also notched the safety lever and left a small nub of the original lever so I could use it to lock the bolt open.

EDIT:  Yes, I believe it is tig welded
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ZIX! THAT THING IS AMAZING! Love the sights!

Thanks, the same 'smith that did the left-side charge also put the HK sights on as well...I do like them better than the standard AK sights!
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tig welded?

Yep....that *appears* to be a TIG weld.

Sean
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Zix
What was the name of the shop that did your mods for you?
I would like to contact him, do you have contact info?

Please IM or email me when you get the chance.

TIA
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
IM Sent

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top