Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2013 8:39:13 PM EDT
Hey everyone.  I'm thinking about trying appendix carry as I find myself printing often with my current style of carry at 4-5 o'clock using both a Crossbreed Supertuck and a MTac holster using a Glock 26.  I also hate how I have to squat down to pick something up.  I was just reading up on appendix carry and am thinking about giving it a try.  I'm looking for some holster recommendations?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Comp-Tac Minotaur for my USP45C

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=114
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#2]
AIWB is probably the method of carry where holster selection is extremely individual.
IWB, pretty much anyone can do well with a Versa Max2 or Crossbreed or other one of the 'standards'... OWB, similar, some holsters are classic designs, the classic leather pancake or the modern classic of the Raven Phantom for example.

For AIWB I love my PJHolster for my Kahr CM-9.  I like my Raven Phantom LC for my M&P9c w/ TLR3 light.  I also like a Bianchi 100 for my CZ P01 clone (Canik Stingray).   I've tried others with varying degrees of comfort... The 'Summer Special' type holster seems to have promise for a cross draw type AIWB with a fullsize CZ75, will be toying with that more over the next several days.   I find the most comfortable AIWB holsters ride fairly high and have either no cant or very slight cant.

If you like Kydex, I would suggest trying a PJHolster with no cant and mid to high ride.  If you prefer leather, check out something similar to the Bianchi 100 (or any of the hundreds of very similar designs).  Those two are the most comfortable for me to carry AIWB in most situations.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:26:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If you like the hybrid style there is the MTAC neutral can't or the Silent Thunder Solo. The latter is nice because you can adjust the cant and move the single clip if you decide that mode of carry isn't for you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey everyone.  I'm thinking about trying appendix carry as I find myself printing often with my current style of carry at 4-5 o'clock using both a Crossbreed Supertuck and a MTac holster using a Glock 26.  I also hate how I have to squat down to pick something up.  I was just reading up on appendix carry and am thinking about giving it a try.  I'm looking for some holster recommendations?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Appendix carry is also known as AIWB. I've been carrying revolvers that way for a while. I have been looking for a good holster for appendix carry of a  G26 too.
It's a very serious method of carrying in that one screw-up and you can be dead in a hurry. The Glock especially requires far more attention to technique and gear when holstering / re-holstering, adjusting etc IMO. There's not much room for error and the muzzle is pointed at some serious parts no matter where they're pointed. it's very sketchy stuff if taken casually.

I have a Dillon Rosen Leather CLP and a FIST K-1 in ultra-thin kydex. They both carry comfortably and and covertly AIWB, but have too limited access for me for now.

Get a good, appendix specific rig. Something you can do dry-fire reps with.  CCC Shaggy is one, JM Custom Kydex seems popular. There are others too, many others. There're a lot of good offerings out there and it seems to be a growing market trend. Kydex is most popular.

You'll want to just look at a G19 or 17 sized AIWB rig. The longer holster helps hold it in place. I recently experienced what is described as having the gun feel like it's rolling out of your waist-band. Now I can see why it's recommended to get the bigger rig. No worries - everything stayed put though !
Overall it seems AIWB is geared towards the carrying of the mid and larger frames because it's much more possible to do it AIWB. Just keep that in mind when shopping, you're really looking at G9 or G17 models.

Be careful ! AIWB has some advantages and also some very serious hazards too.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The poster above raises some very good points about AIWB. I thought long and hard before i switched to AIWB. I carried in the 4 oclock position for a long time and it was comfortable for me and worked very well. But after having shoulder surgery I just couldn't get to my gun very fast in this position. I have taken several training courses and always carried at the 4 oclock position. After switching to the AIWB my draw stroke is much faster and smoother. I've done alot of dry fire practice and live fire at the AIWB and I now feel confident carrying in this manner. I'm using a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim to carry my Glock 19 and i highly recommend this holster. This is a Kydex holster with a permanent leather lining bonded to the inside of the holster so you can draw and re-holster your gun with very little noise. The retention is adjustable and the belt clip can be adjusted for cant and height for the perfect fit and comfort. The quality of the harware used in the construction of this rig is outstanding and second to none. For me, this is the perfect holster for AIWB.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The two above me made good points anyone considering AIWB carry should keep in mind.... Your muzzle is basically pointed at your femoral artery.  Have an 'ooops' and you will die before help can arrive to you.
As a result, I only reholster by removing the holster from my body, placing the gun into it and returning the holstered gun to position.  Not quick.  Not graceful.  But certainly safer than other options.
I recently started carrying a hammer fired SA/DA with a safety... I am starting to consider reholstering inside the pants with that one as I can hold the hammer in place (impossible with any striker fired gun).

The linked JM and Shaggy were the two 'standard' AIWB holsters I was trying to recall.  I recommend the PJ as it is cheap. And the Bianchi as it can be used in many other positions as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree on the think hard about it and get your head out of your ass if you carry AIWB part.

It is also true in my experience that a holster for a G34 will be more comfortable AIWB than a short one made for a G26. This also helps get the muzzle away from pointing directly at your hip/femur joint when seated. Just as a joke I stuck my dad's 34 in my Bladetech that I'm trying for AIWB and the 34 was not uncomfortable nor did it stick out like a sore thumb. I was impressed.

This weekend at the movie I moved a Raven with IWB clips for a G19 and TLR-1 to the AIWB position without thinking about it. I found it incredibly comfortable and concealable while I watched a 2 hour movie at the theater. The width of the light actually helps hold the muzzle slightly further off your important bits. The wheels are turning now.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I switched from a MTAC at 4-5 o clock to a Cane and Derby AIWB holster.

I ended up buying a Shaggy. Was worth every penny.

FWIW AIWB was extremely uncomfortable for the first week or so. Then I found my sweet spot and I can't imagine carrying any other way. I carry a HK P30.

Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Dale Fricke makes a variety of AIWB that would be worth looking over.  I personally have experience w his mag pouches, but they are top notch craftsmanship and quality.

Link Posted: 6/19/2013 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
That's right: The Fricke holsters have a good reputation too. There's one for sale in the

EE Here

I had been watching that but can't swing it right now.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I watched a video that showed a guy training with an AIWB holster and each time before he re-holstered his gun he would sweep the opening of the holster with his gun hand thumb. This was to make sure the mouth of the holster was free and clear of his shirt or anything else that might cause a ND. This looked to me to be a very good habit to drill into my head and I've been doing this before I re-holster.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry AIWB with a G19 in a Vanguard 2, its stupid comfortable, I was always a fan of OWB before but its been months since I last picked up my Phantom.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I watched a video that showed a guy training with an AIWB holster and each time before he re-holstered his gun he would sweep the opening of the holster with his gun hand thumb. This was to make sure the mouth of the holster was free and clear of his shirt or anything else that might cause a ND. This looked to me to be a very good habit to drill into my head and I've been doing this before I re-holster.

Not a bad habit for ANY holstering... But certainly a good idea for AIWB.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I carry AIWB with a G19 in a Vanguard 2, its stupid comfortable, I was always a fan of OWB before but its been months since I last picked up my Phantom.

I am waiting patiently for the Vangaurd 2 line to expand a bit....  
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a tactical handgun class later this month and I'm taking it with my G19 at the AIWB position.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you looking to carry?
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Go to pistol-forum.com for AIWB info. No better resource.

Ultimate AIWB thread
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Go to pistol-forum.com for AIWB info. No better resource.

Ultimate AIWB thread

Truth.

In addition, when I reholster, I always keep my thumb over the hammer and go slow.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Comp Tac 2 o'clock

and

I'm also a fan of the Dale Fricke Archangel.   The Glock 17 model also fits the 19.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the help so far everyone!  Some very excellent and informing posts.  Right now I'm looking at several holsters and I have noticed that the AIWB holsters are mostly kydex vs. a hybrid.  Any reasoning for this or opinions on kydex vs. hybrid when it comes to AIWB?
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I should also mention, after posting this topic I had a patient come to the ER who was carrying appendix without a holster and "accidentally" shot himself.  He got lucky, missed his reproducing parts (unfortunately) and the bullet went through his thigh came out the back of his thigh, and then went and lodged himself in his calf.  He said someone shot him...the officer said "Was the guy hiding in a tree that shot you?  How did you get powder burns on the inside of your underwear?"
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help so far everyone!  Some very excellent and informing posts.  Right now I'm looking at several holsters and I have noticed that the AIWB holsters are mostly kydex vs. a hybrid.  Any reasoning for this or opinions on kydex vs. hybrid when it comes to AIWB?

Kydex. It's the only way to go for AIWB if you ask me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kydex. It's the only way to go for AIWB if you ask me.

Especially in an area known for perspiration. I use a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim AIWB holster. It's the best of both worlds. Have used one for an HK P30, Sig 226, Glock 19, Glock 17, and Walther PPQ. Best appendix carry holster I have found.

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#24]
G code incog

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#25]
So I'm trying to decide between the Raven Concealment ACR holster or the Dale Fricke Archangel.  Any opinions on either one?

And is the G34 holster what I should buy for carrying a G26?  Or Should I get a G19 holster?  And the main reasoning I'm finding to do this is so it doesn't tip over and wobble?  Thanks for everything so far guys!
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#26]
incog
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
incog

Blah there's another holster added to the list!  love the price on that one.  Still recommended to get the g-34 length holster?
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you looking to carry?

I would be interested in getting Vangaurd 2 holsters for the CZ P01, Kahr CM9, Smith 642....
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Going to try a Blade-Tech Klipt Appendix for a S&W 642.  If I can't AIWB that, I can't AWIB anything.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 1:36:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 3:11:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Raven Concealment Vanguard 2
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I feel like a major downside to that holster is you have to remove it to reholster...
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 4:55:11 AM EDT
[#35]
It is a drawback....however.... for concealed carry the ability to quickly reholster isn't as necessary.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It is a drawback....however.... for concealed carry the ability to quickly reholster isn't as necessary.

This completely.  Reholstering is my last concern for CCW.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This completely.  Reholstering is my last concern for CCW.

bingo! Made my links hot of what my G26 looks like while carried...
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Fricke Archangel. Expensive, but excellent quality.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fricke Archangel. Expensive, but excellent quality.

From the EE here

Not mine, been eyeing it for a while, that's all.

Cheers!

-JC

Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#41]
The best leather AIWB holster is the AIWB-CDA from JRC Holsters

http://jrcholsters.com/holsters/inside-the-waistband

The best Kydex one is the Keeper

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-keeper-appendix-carry-holster
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel like a major downside to that holster is you have to remove it to reholster...

In some ways I see it as plus for appendix carry.  This makes you reholster in a very controlled manner and the trigger is already covered when you are inserting the pistol into your waistband which should eliminate the chance of an ND during the process.

BTW, I have also tested reholstering with my VG2 and G19 without removing the VG2 from my belt and it is possible to do so...
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Been carrying my 21 in a RC Vanguard 2 for about 4 months now.  Very comfortable sitting or standing if u have a good belt.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#44]
lol you're skinnier then me....im sure that helps quite a bit....
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Just to add to the fire; I use a JM Custom Kydex and VG2 for my M&P9FS.

I stopped carrying my PPS as much because small guns seem to flop over the belt with AIWB. I'm looking into getting a holster made with longer 'body' to it to act like a full size gun would.

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just to add to the fire; I use a JM Custom Kydex and VG2 for my M&P9FS.

I stopped carrying my PPS as much because small guns seem to flop over the belt with AIWB. I'm looking into getting a holster made with longer 'body' to it to act like a full size gun would.

All I carry is AIWB and the shortest thing I have is a G19/P2000.  I have tried shorter guns and they don't work for me. Probably the longest I have carried is a P30L. But it was still comfortable.

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
G code incog

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

G code incog is a great holster for aiwb or 3-4 oclock.  I took the front clip off and run just the rear and it's perfect.  I also carried the vanguard 2 for a year and a half and love it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dale Fricke makes a variety of AIWB that would be worth looking over.  I personally have experience w his mag pouches, but they are top notch craftsmanship and quality.

http://dalefrickeholsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/archangel6.jpghttp://dalefrickeholsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ehud.jpghttp://dalefrickeholsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/joab.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#49]
http://www.glocktech.com/

It works and seems safer for AD than other holsters for Glocks. It works with all 9mm Glock models. It is also easy to reholster.

Very inexpensive too!

It can also be worn in the 5-6 o'clock position successfully.

I like mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top