Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2013 12:25:31 PM EDT
I'm looking to finally get a handgun primarily for concealed carry. I'm sure this topic has been gone over several times, but I was hoping that with my specific personal requirements ARFCOM can help me decide.

It MUST be 9mm. That's my personal choice, and I'm not looking for a discussion on the merits of any caliber over any other.

I'm 6'4" and have a big frame, so I've heard that can help me conceal larger guns; overweight but dropping pounds slowly but steadily (pants currently 36-38" depending on cut). I often wear tighter-fitting clothes, and in the summer it is way too hot for a jacket or vest, so that will restrict size I'm sure. I would much prefer to carry IWB but I almost never tuck my shirts.

I have big hands so very small guns like the baby Glocks don't fit well.

Availability of holsters and magazines is a must. I have a first-gen P99 that I love to shoot but it's too hard to find mags and holsters for it. It would be nice but is not necessary to have widely-available accessories like a threaded barrel for when I want a suppressor platform, etc. Easily available and inexpensive night sights are a HUGE plus. Reliability out of the box is of course a must.

I am seriously considering the Glock 19 (fired it and it feels decent), M&P Shield (held it and it feels good), the CZ-75 compact, the M&P9c, the Sig P229, M11-A1, or P239, or the H&K P2000. I'm mostly leaning towards the Glock 19, probably Gen 3.

I have an absolute max budget of $1000, would strongly prefer to keep it below $700, and would like to keep in the range of $500.

Any other ones I should definitely take a look at? Anything on the list that shouldn't be?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
All that you mentioned are good choices.
H&K or G19.

I am a died in the wool P30 guy but I now carry a G19 and a 38 snub for backup ..

ETA SPELLING.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my P2000 SK.  Accurate,  reliable,  easy to shoot well and easy to carry.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
.357  revolver
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
you carry the gun YOU can make quick, accurate, consistent hits with. if that is a .22 Buckmark or a Deagle wit da beamz, it doesn't matter, hits are what count. You also need to be able to manipulate the weapon( reloads, malfunction clearing, ect.) so for me that rules out the compact guns. you will also be surprised at how large a gun you can conceal. I CC a full size 1911 with a TLR1, in a kydex OWB, daily. Im 6'1, 225. people are clueless.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a CZ fanboy, so I voted 75c.  I EDC a P01, and also like the P07.   The P01 pretty much rides IWB, and is very easy to conceal
on my 6'4"/200lb frame.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Sig P227 SAS Gen2, compact size, proven platform, and 10+1 rounds of .45 acp goodness
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Based on your own personal conditions and parameters, I'd go with the G19 from your set of choices.  You get a quick and easy manual of arms, probably the most holster availability out there right now, with the most options and styles, as well as lower prices because of the proliferation of them.  Some of the other guns are good, and would suit you well, but the Glock doesn't have any sharp edges, big bulges, or pointy parts to jab you when you are carrying IWB, plus it's rust resistance out of the box is basically second to none.

It's also well within your price range, allows you to fit your personal choice of night sights, AND get an IWB and an OWB holster for less than your max out of pocket.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a Springfield XD40sc and really like it. That being said, all of those that you listed would be good choices. As others have and will say, try out as many different guns as you can and get the one that you feel comfortable with. I love to go to the shops and finger handguns now and then so I can see which one(s) I want next.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you carry the gun YOU can make quick, accurate, consistent hits with. if that is a .22 Buckmark or a Deagle wit da beamz, it doesn't matter, hits are what count. You also need to be able to manipulate the weapon( reloads, malfunction clearing, ect.) so for me that rules out the compact guns. you will also be surprised at how large a gun you can conceal. I CC a full size 1911 with a TLR1, in a kydex OWB, daily. Im 6'1, 225. people are clueless.
View Quote

Everything you have there is a good choice, so hard to say one is better than the others. Of those, I like the glock and the M&P line, but personal preference is key.

Go shoot them all, and do some drills with the ones you liked and shot the best. Narrow down the choices from there. All have good aftermarket support and holsters so that is a moot point.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Based on your own personal conditions and parameters, I'd go with the G19 from your set of choices.  You get a quick and easy manual of arms, probably the most holster availability out there right now, with the most options and styles, as well as lower prices because of the proliferation of them.  Some of the other guns are good, and would suit you well, but the Glock doesn't have any sharp edges, big bulges, or pointy parts to jab you when you are carrying IWB, plus it's rust resistance out of the box is basically second to none.

It's also well within your price range, allows you to fit your personal choice of night sights, AND get an IWB and an OWB holster for less than your max out of pocket.
View Quote

All of this and you can send the slide to GLOCK and they will install factory night sights and return it to you for about $55.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I voted P229 but like others have said any will work. I'm 6-03 230 and carry a P226 in a Kramer IWB. It's easy to conceal and comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The Glocks are head and shoulders above the rest in parts and accessories availability. There are other good guns on that list but none will come close in mag, night sight and holster selection.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Everybody should have a Glock 19

Second on your list would be the sig m11
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 2:51:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I voted "other". Have you considered the SIG SP2022? It's my EDC and fits your desired $500: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sp2022.aspx
Tomac
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I voted "other". Have you considered the SIG SP2022? It's my EDC and fits your desired $500: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sp2022.aspx
Tomac
View Quote

I hadn't even heard of that one. What are some good sources for IWB holsters for that?
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Whatever you get, make your decision ASAP and buy from palmetto state armory.  Trust me, just visit the site, great deals on S&W/Sig/Springfield right now.

The best gun out of your list is the HK though.  HK > Any other firearm, provided that money is not an issue.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I hadn't even heard of that one. What are some good sources for IWB holsters for that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

What type of IWB holster are you considering? I carry mine AIWB in a Remora #10 during the summer (I was leery of using a clipless holster at first but I'll be darned if it hasn't turned out to be very comfortable w/no retention problems) and a shoulder holster during the winter (YMMV). Both SERPA's and Hogue PowerSpeed holsters are available for casual belt use.
Tomac

ETA: Boise Gun Co. has the SP2022 w/nightsights for $528: http://www.boisegun.com/product.sig-sauer-2022-standard-9mm-385-151-polymer-grip-blue

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Since you listed the Shield you should also consider the Walther PPS, I find it to have a better feel in my large hands.   PPQ is a really nice pistol also but I wish they'd make a smaller carry-oriented version.

Its usually a bad idea to make major firearms decisions two weeks before the SHOT show  Never know what might change your mind.  As an example you have an HK P2000 on there, the rumors are that HK is going to introduce a striker fired pistol.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I love my s&w 40c and like it better than the glocks, so i voted for the 9c.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I chose G19 mainly because that's what I carry daily. Agree with a few other posters. Get what you like and can shoot well. After that, get a good holster...
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm smaller than you with med-lg hands and I wanted a P239 bit its way too small until someone makes grips with an extended tang.  You shouldn't have any issue concealing a 3.5" service weapon like the P229.  I concealed a Sig SP2022 for years with same basic dimensions as a P229, and later an issued G19 (lotsa holster options and very light). I now carry a clone of the CZ Compact and love it, it has a good tang to keep big hands out of the way of the slide.  My knock off is reliable so a real CZ compact should be good for ya.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Glock 19.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Based on your criteria I voted for the G19
9mm
Light
Fairly slim
Holsters/accessories galore
can host a can

Im your size and the G19 is my edc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I say go with an HK USP 9.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock 27 would be my pick…

but of your selections a 23 or shield.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Since you have a P99, you're familiar with Walther quality.  PPS 9mm is the answer to your question.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#27]
If you like the ergonomics of a Glock, the 19 is an excellent choice. I'm a smaller man than you, and I carry one every day. At least consider the Gen 4. I like the more aggressive grip texture and larger mag release. Back straps give you the option of a Gen 3 size grip, slightly smaller, and slightly larger.

I find that button down collared shirts conceal better than a Tshirt or polo. I mostly wear the light weight "outdoorsy style" ones. Going up one size helps with a T shirt.

Be aware that carrying may require some wardrobe changes. Most people go up 1~2" in the waist to accommodate IWB. A good stiff belt will go a long way. Carry when you try on clothing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#28]
My only presence would be a single stack 9mm like a kahr, kel tec pf9 , or a ruger lc9

But I wear shorts most of the year ymmv
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#29]
The G19 is winning handily in the poll which is about what I expected. Probably will end up winning overall for many of the reasons mentioned: common, inexpensive for good reliability, available parts and accessories, and it does fit me fairly well.

I wish I could take them all to the range and test them out but the only rental range I know around here simply doesn't have that many options and I don't personally know anybody with all the choices. I would like to handle more though before I decide. Maybe I can rent one of the more common ones like the SIG today; I'm taking the GF to teach her how to shoot a pistol on my P99.

Might wait for SHOT, might not, as just about anything new that's coming out is likely to take a while and be expensive and hard to find at first. The guns I'm choosing from are all well-established, seem to have most of the kinks worked out, and are pretty available.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#30]
glock 19

reliable, durable, long lasting, tough, simple, easy to fix/find parts/accessories, mags, etc
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Glock 19 all the way.

Easy to shoot, good mag capacity, has a light rail, lots of accessories, super reliable

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#32]
HK P30
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I picked up a G19. Thanks for the help, and now to pick out a holster.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
The Desantis Intruder (Optics Planet) is great for the money..

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Weight and size become a issue unless you wear baggy or layers. Shield is my vote.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Crossbreed Supertuck, Galco King Tuk, and Alien Gear holsters for a good leather/kydex hybrid holster. I've got a Crossbreed in Horsehide for my 1911's and it makes a 5" steel Government model disappear. I'm going to be sending a money order out early next week for a NIB Glock 21 Gen4 and I'm going to try out an Alien Gear holster this time around. Same type of style/construction as the crossbreed with the same warranty and a "free trade in" thing where they'll send you a new pistol shell for a different pistol if you change pistols as long as you send them your old shell.

I don't have any recommendations for OWB. The ones I've picked up are sub quality, or flat out not recommended (Blackhawk Serpa).

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Im a huge Sig Fan !

But I wouldn't buy a -1 slide long extractor M11A1 !  Maybe after they are proven a bit more. Will see.

I would buy a MK25 or P229R with short extractor

M&P 9mm  accuracy is IFFY reports of huge groups at 25Y

Glock  is having there share of problems also.

HK  Line I don't hear to many complaints.

Out of your list I would go P2000 or not on your list MK25
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

This pistol is highly underrated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I voted 19. But if you have larger hands the gen 4 rather than 3 would help get a more comfortable grip. It has plenty of aftermarket support for bbl's and holsters as well. I love my 19, wish I could carry it but my thin stature forced me to drop down to the shield.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#40]
i carried a 1911 everyday until i added a shield to my ccw. the shield is very comfortable to carry, the short mag takes a little getting use to when shooting, the extended mag is perfect.  the gun shoots great, but they do come very tight. i would reccomend a shield to anyone but im a huge fan of S&W
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I carry mine in an MTAC. Hard to beat for comfort.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Milt Sparks Versamax II
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#43]
People bitch about glocks all day on here but at the end of the day they are great guns.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:18:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
People bitch about glocks all day on here but at the end of the day they are great guns.
View Quote

Unless you buy a lemon because of there poor QC

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Take a look at the Ruger SR9c if you get a chance.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#46]
You can't go wrong with the G19.  I've shot and carried several different guns over the years, and settled on the Glock for several reasons; such as,  simplicity, reliability, availability of accessories, etc.  It's as close to the perfect gun that you'll ever find.  Spend a little over $500, and have enough left for holster, belt, and ammo.  Maybe some training as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top