Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2014 7:20:49 AM EDT
I have the option of getting a carry license faster by sending in fingerprints versus not sending in fingerprints.  Does it really matter since they have all your information anyway?   Is this common practice in other states?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Texas requires fingerprints.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Colorado has one option....no prints = no permit. Utah is the same way, I'm rather surprised you have the option.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Maybe I was misinformed?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I sent prints in to Illinois when I applied. I had already done so for my Utah permit (required), so I didn't see any reason not to.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#6]
KY takes prints... I can't believe IL gives the option, figured it'd be required regardless
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Indiana requires them. Not only that, they must be electronic fingerprints. All applications are online, as well.

I did prints for IL. As a result, I was able to apply 1/2, in the early group. I should have my CCL in the mail today.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#8]
NH doesn't let you get your prints taken.

We apply by putting down info and 2 references, 2 weeks later we get a permit. My references weren't even contacted (although they both also have their CCW, so maybe that helped).
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Tennessee requires prints, Virginia does not. I would send them in.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Not that I am happy about giving the government anything, but fingerprints are also required in Missouri.  They took them in the army, they took them for security clearances, they take them for CCW.  I'll find out later this year if they take them again to renew.  You'd like to think once or twice would be enough ...
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

We apply by putting down info and 2 references, 2 weeks later we get a permit. My references weren't even contacted (although they both also have their CCW, so maybe that helped).
View Quote
Unless your references live in the same town/city, there is no facility to cross-reference their CCW permits.

According to all 'official' sources I have contacted, CCW info stays with your local police chief, who issued it.

There is no 'central database' in NH for CCW permits. In theory.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]
NC requires prints, PA does not
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Michigan requires prints.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
VA only recently made requesting fingerprints illegal.  

Arlington and Fairfax counties required it, and Arlington in particular made it difficult by only fingerprinting people in a two hour window at the Sheriff's office one day a week.  They then drug their heels as long as possibly and the required 45 day issuance period often drug on for 4-5 months and even then, they would not notify you when the permit was in, it would just magically and coincidentally be in the out box when you went in to bitch about your permit never being issued.   It was horse $__t with a capital H.

With the July 2012 legislative changes they now cannot fingerprint or require any other documentation than what is specified and they are expected to deliver the permit by mail rather than making you come down to get it.

----  

NC requires electronically scanned prints and requires local references as well as a release of information to do mental health back ground checks to confirm you've never been committed to an institution.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#15]
The law does not require that you submit prints. The only penalty is that they say it will take an extra 30 days to approve/deny.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#16]
MI requires it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unless your references live in the same town/city, there is no facility to cross-reference their CCW permits.
According to all 'official' sources I have contacted, CCW info stays with your local police chief, who issued it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of them actually does live in the same town.

But I hear you, good to know that it isn't just floating around in a database somewhere. I'm not particularly paranoid about it, but I have heard stories of people getting hassled because of their CCW on file somewhere. Then again, I heard it on the internet....
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the option of getting a carry license faster by sending in fingerprints versus not sending in fingerprints.
View Quote

Incorrect.

It is not known definitively yet if fingerprints will have any practical effect on the time to issue of permits in Illinois. They just started issuing permits last weekend, and the early applicants were all fingerprint required, so it's completely unknown yet if it will make any difference in practice. They have lots of wait time built into their system as it is, and it's very likely that fingerprints are not going to make any difference.  From the sound of things on the Illinois Carry forum, there are a couple folks who have been denied over mistaken identity issues despite providing fingerprints.

At the pace they're moving for everyone (glacial), I would save the money and wait it out.  You're going to be waiting regardless.  Spend the money on ammo, or apply it toward another non-res permit from somewhere to get additional states for carry.

Quoted:
The law does not require that you submit prints. The only penalty is that they say it will take an extra 30 days to approve/deny.
View Quote

No, the law allows an extra 30 days.  There are already no-print applicants who have been approved within the first few days along with folks who applied weeks earlier with fingerprints.  Given that they're taking 2 months to complete background checks, the fingerprints probably aren't going to make any difference.

IIRC at some point they're supposed to issue within 45 days regardless of prints so I really doubt they are going to have a system set up differently in the meantime.

Quoted:
KY takes prints... I can't believe IL gives the option, figured it'd be required regardless
View Quote

IL was facing a federal court decision which declared concealed carry to be a fundamental civil right.  Requiring fingerprints would likely be found to be an unreasonable burden on a fundamental civil right.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
WA requires fingerprints.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#20]
MO requires prints
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]
IL gives you the option not to send prints as a way to give themselves a reason to take longer to process your application..
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I did not do prints. I was tired of spending money. They have prints for my haz mat, if they really want my prints I'm sure they will access them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]
MS requires prints every 4 years @ renewal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Prints are listed as being optional in Maine, at least with towns that don't use the state police to issue permits. I was not printed and had my license in exactly 14 days.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Finger prints are required in FL.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I had to go down to the county jail after I applied for mine to get printed here in MI.  Luckily where I applied was in the same general vicinity to the jail.

I was one of many in there getting printed at the time for permits, it was all digital as well.  Kinda goofy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#27]
No prints required for Iowa.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have the option of getting a carry license faster by sending in fingerprints versus not sending in fingerprints.  Does it really matter since they have all your information anyway?   Is this common practice in other states?
View Quote

Unless you have a common name, I wouldn't send your prints. I applied with no prints, received my license on 3/8, faster than most applicants and some instructors. No logical reason why, but I wouldn't spend the extra $80 or whatever it is for the prints. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#29]
The four states that I have had carry licenses in all required fingerprints.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Since when does Kentucky take prints.  I have never been finger printed in my initial application or my first renewal this year.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since when are finger prints required for a CCP in Kentucky  it must be only in your county.  I have never been finger printed.  In my initial permit or on my first renewal last month. I just checked the KSP web site and there is no requirement for finger prints to obtain a Kentucky CCP.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#32]
No prints for the great state of KY, but I am moving to IL for family reasons, so I guess I will be figure printed when I get around to getting a CC in IL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Ohio also finger prints so welcome to the club...
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#34]
NY and FL required prints. PA, no prints.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Some people in Illinois who did not submit prints have gotten their licenses before others who did. It doesn't seem to make much difference.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#36]
PA is great, no prints and most counties 15 minute deal and you leave with it in hand and only $20 poorer. I really feel for some of you guys.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ohio also finger prints so welcome to the club...
View Quote

We need to get rid of that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#38]
No prints in SC
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Ohio required fingerprints and a whole hand print.

Meh.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ohio required fingerprints and a whole hand print.

Meh.
View Quote

Might as well do your feet and have you un-zip while they have the ink out
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Florida requires a full set.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Prints needed for Nevada
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oregon too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I just dont get it. What is the stated reason for requiring fingerprints for CCW?

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Both Texas and Oklahoma require fingerprints. No big deal. Since I'm retired LEO, they have them on file anyway.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I just dont get it. What is the stated reason for requiring fingerprints for CCW?
View Quote

"Background check".

The number of CCW applicants that a fingerprint check finds background information on, that the usual background checks haven't already found is essentially zero.

The real reason is simply to add fingerprint records to the database, as well as to potentially disenfranchise applicants.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
WA requires fingerprints.
View Quote

But optional on renewals
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Fingerprints required, need to schedule an appointment in order to give fingerprints and at the moment it's a two week wait
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Indiana requires them. Not only that, they must be electronic fingerprints. All applications are online, as well.

I did prints for IL. As a result, I was able to apply 1/2, in the early group. I should have my CCL in the mail today.

View Quote

FL does electronic fingerprinting also, but our permits are $117 for only seven years.

I am really jealous of Indiana's lifetime permit...
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Required for Out of State for NV, FL and Utah.  

Quoted:
Finger prints are required in FL.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top