Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

J Frame carry (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:  I’ll carry mine in a Nemesis from time to time, but as a rule don’t mess with a BUG.
View Quote

A BUG is one more reason to buy another gun.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:

Same. No holster is needed really, as long as nothing else gets put in the pocket. YMMV
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:
Originally Posted By ckbk:
Yes in a pocket.  Pretty accurate at short range.

Same. No holster is needed really, as long as nothing else gets put in the pocket. YMMV

For a damn-near-ZERO bulk option, Blue Force Gear J-frame holster
Super slim, covers the trigger
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42280/IMG_4678-2638372.jpg

AIWB for seems like forever. Only thing that changes is the grips, I've tried em all. Currently using the Pachmyer Guardian Grips with the pushbutton pinky extender.
View Quote

I think part of revolver ownership is having a box of grips that let you down when they didn't fit your hand right, and a set of, "damn I can't believe these really were the grips that worked the best for me??" ones on the gun
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I still carry a S&W 351PD or 43C on occasion.

They are J frames.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:35:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AdLucem] [#6]
Not so much now, but back in the day.....  my sqaud guys broke my balls b/c they thought my brand new SS 60 was a nickel plated "perp gun:"

love it but its heavy and bulky and the g42 won the carry contest.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
J frames are fantastic “always” guns.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MRW:
You spyin' on me?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Geralt55:

I think part of revolver ownership is having a box of grips that let you down when they didn't fit your hand right, and a set of, "damn I can't believe these really were the grips that worked the best for me??" ones on the gun
You spyin' on me?

It hurts so much to take those expensive new grips out of the box, slap on the frame, and some dry firing later say "............... dammit...."
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes. 442 for the win!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to carry a J frame as a bug, but transitioned to a g26 years ago so I had mag compatibility with my primary weapon. The J frames are great guns, but between the fact I really dont practice enough with revolvers and the the limited capacity, Ive moved on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Pocket carry excellence:

https://aholster.com/pocket-backbone/

https://aholster.com/aholster-bactrian/

(I carry mine with safariland comp I reloads, but it'll work with whatever you like same/difference)

-Also not my pics, ripped from his web-site. I carry a Model 637 in mine, I've found it to be very slim and lightweight for pocket rocket carry. Yes, a loaded air-weight or even lighter air-light. Will weigh a bit less than a P365/Hellcat/G43, this is an important factor to me.

I sold my 2 Ruger LCPs (original and a II) because they were simply not reliable, highly ammo-sensitive, and difficult to actually hold onto, coupled with the cost/availability and 'power' of .380ACP I just ditched that round and stick with 9mm or .38SPL+P when it comes to slim/compact, non-permissive-environment, carry guns. I carry Buffalo Bore .38+P 125gr, they hit my steel targets with authority. Not much different in terms of impact on target when compared to my Glock 17 shooting 124gr 9mm Hornady +P...
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By KillerBD:  Pocket carry excellence:

https://aholster.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BACKBONE-2.jpg

https://aholster.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/bact-4.jpg

(I carry mine with safariland comp I reloads, but it'll work with whatever you like same/difference)

-Also not my pics, ripped from his web-site. I carry a Model 637 in mine, I've found it to be very slim and lightweight for pocket rocket carry. Yes, a loaded air-weight or even lighter air-light. Will weigh a bit less than a P365/Hellcat/G43, this is an important factor to me.

I sold my 2 Ruger LCPs (original and a II) because they were simply not reliable, highly ammo-sensitive, and difficult to actually hold onto, coupled with the cost/availability and 'power' of .380ACP I just ditched that round and stick with 9mm or .38SPL+P when it comes to slim/compact, non-permissive-environment, carry guns. I carry Buffalo Bore .38+P 125gr, they hit my steel targets with authority. Not much different in terms of impact on target when compared to my Glock 17 shooting 124gr 9mm Hornady +P...
View Quote

You might be disappointed in the results from a 2" bbl:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:10:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#13]

https://eadn-wc03-8337747.nxedge.io/cdn/media/magebest_blog/data/__Blog__/BFG_Jframe_Holster.jpg

View Quote

Probably the best pocket holster I’ve ever used. I keep trying leather but always come back to the Blue Force Gear. Don’t know if they still make them though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

You might be disappointed in the results from a 2" bbl:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/
View Quote

I don't see anything for Buffalo Bore 125gr .38 Special +P . They have results for BB 125gr .357, which are acceptable in terms of penetration and expansion.

Not saying this info is bad, I'm endlessly looking up ammo reviews/tests. Have consulted lucky-gunner as well as many other resources... I almost went with Underwood over Buffalo Bore (same advertised bullet/weight/velocities), but from the reviews I've seen. BB actually seems to be the most honest when they advertise velocities, at least based on seeing people chrono'ing their stuff...
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:44:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hangman101] [#15]
I have a Nemesis, but the Aholster just works.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
By BUG I assume you carry two guns?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By KillerBD:
Pocket carry excellence:

https://aholster.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BACKBONE-2.jpg

https://aholster.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/bact-4.jpg

View Quote

My set up is very similar except a 442 for the gun. I am not sold on the speedloader carrier though. The rear facing loader is a snap to get to, but the forward one is tough to get out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:  By BUG I assume you carry two guns?
View Quote

Back
Up
Gun

In the "winter" I do, SP 101 9mm in my coat pocket.  26 is my primary.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be picking up one of the new J Frame .32 H&R Magnums. Six rounds in a small package.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#20]
20 years ago?  Sure.

Now?  The micro compacts make it obsolete.  

Attachment Attached File

10 or 11+1 - 9mm
or
5 - .38 Special

If there's a greater than 1% chance I'll need a firearm, I'll go full size, but until then, I'll opt for something that vanishes and that's weight and size doesn't impact daily life at all.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Oftentimes the 342 finds its way out

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
Kramer Horsehide ankle and pocket holsters. Expensive but so worth it.
View Quote

The Kramer pocket holster is the most versatile pocket holster I’ve ever used. Seems to fit well in any pants or shorts pocket that I wear.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:  20 years ago?  Sure.

Now?  The micro compacts make it obsolete obsolescent.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123106/HC_vs__642_PNG-3114145.JPG

10 or 11+1 - 9mm
or
5 - .38 Special

If there's a greater than 1% chance I'll need a firearm, I'll go full size, but until then, I'll opt for something that vanishes and that's weight and size doesn't impact daily life at all.
View Quote

Take your oldest, rattiest hoodie or get one from Goodwill, go to the range, and fire your Hellcat from w/in the pocket and see how many rounds you get off w/out drawing.  I'd suggest wearing gloves.

Snubs can fire without being drawn, and therefore can serve not just as a BUG, but also as an opening gambit.

If there's a greater than a 1% chance you'll need a firearm, I'd suggest a rifle, helmet & body armor, along w/ at least one other person similarly equipped.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:
20 years ago?  Sure.

10 or 11+1 - 9mm
or
5 - .38 Special

View Quote

And the truth is, for some bodytypes, belts - add in Non-Permissive-Environments, that ends up being a J-frame, or LCR, or LCP380

I think the Micro9s are awesome! But they are a bit larger and carry larger (on the belt and in the pocket) than the ~15oz revolvers.
I said what I said and stand by it.
Enough to matter? For a lot of people, no.
But for some? Honestly, yes.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Lawman75:

Probably the best pocket holster I’ve ever used. I keep trying leather but always come back to the Blue Force Gear. Don’t know if they still make them though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lawman75:

https://eadn-wc03-8337747.nxedge.io/cdn/media/magebest_blog/data/__Blog__/BFG_Jframe_Holster.jpg

It's amazing right?  SUPER thin. After that leather makes it feel like a phonebook by comparison

I didn't know they stopped making them - I guess that's why they were on sale at such low prices awhile ago
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:06:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By KingRat:
I'll be picking up one of the new J Frame .32 H&R Magnums. Six rounds in a small package.
View Quote

I think if I had to pick one J-frame out of their line up for the rest of my life for all J-frame uses?
After looking at the feature set, it would probably be a 432 Ultimate Carry, and I like 38 special wadcutters.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#28]
yes.  when need something small

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I couple of weeks ago I picked up an Aholster for my LCR, works well with my 642 as well and like it quite a lot, works real well for rule #1
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#30]
20 years ago?  Sure.

10 or 11+1 - 9mm
or
5 - .38 Special

View Quote

The issue is weight for pocket carry.

A loaded M&P 340 w/ Laser Grips is 15.5oz

An empty P365 is 17.8oz; 22.6oz loaded

The rounded, bulbous profile of the J-frame also helps with printing; it prints more as a 'wallet or something' whereas I find the flat angular profile of autopistols print much more like a gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#31]
When I got on in 97, I carried a air weight model 36 for a few years, ankle holster at first (Galco) and then a vest holster.  I put a Speed Strip in a pocket and I was good to go.  Later I switched to a G26 and was much happier.  I could make hits with the 36 at conversational distances but I could shoot a combat course with the G26.  I went to the detective bureau and changed from the ankle holster to a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Take your oldest, rattiest hoodie or get one from Goodwill, go to the range, and fire your Hellcat from w/in the pocket and see how many rounds you get off w/out drawing.  I'd suggest wearing gloves.

Snubs can fire without being drawn, and therefore can serve not just as a BUG, but also as an opening gambit.

If there's a greater than a 1% chance you'll need a firearm, I'd suggest a rifle, helmet & body armor, along w/ at least one other person similarly equipped.
View Quote

The Hellcat will put at least one hole through that Member's Only jacket.  

Hey, being able to shoot a motherfucker while just looking like a dude with his hands in his pockets could come in handy.  But for me, the ability to shoot more than one round through a garment is less important than sights I can use (and the option of mounting a RDO), and twice the capacity in a more or less equal sized package.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#33]

And the truth is, for some bodytypes, belts - add in Non-Permissive-Environments, that ends up being a J-frame, or LCR, or LCP380

I think the Micro9s are awesome! But they are a bit larger and carry larger (on the belt and in the pocket) than the ~15oz revolvers.

View Quote

Hey, if the size and weight of a J-frame makes you throw it on every time you step out the door, that's great.

In my daily life and the places I go, I want more than a revolver can offer.  Not enough to carry BUG or even a "G19" size handgun though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:34:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HotHolster] [#34]
Model 37 3" airweight with the Bianchi hip grip. With this grip, I can tuck in my shirt, pull just enough back out to fold over the grip, and you never know its there
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The rounded, bulbous profile of the J-frame also helps with printing; it prints more as a 'wallet or something' whereas I find the flat angular profile of autopistols print much more like a gun.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
20 years ago?  Sure.

10 or 11+1 - 9mm
or
5 - .38 Special

I've been an autopistols guy basically my whole adult life, and have only recently begun to REALLY appreciate revolvers if I'm being honest
^ that, "The revolver hugs the body" thing was not something I understood at all and dismissed

But, I know what that means now, and it's a real thing.
In pocket carry, the cylinder can press into the leg a little bit, and now that slim profile (the barrel and frame BOTH thinner than the slides on the micro-9s) disappears well.
Same with the cylinder on the hip/leg.
I think of it like this: With Snowshoes, that broad flat profile sits on top of the snow, where a foot can sink into it.
It kind of works the same way with the slim flat autoloader profile vs the small lumpy revolver.

I'm finding that for belt carry, depending on the style of dress/dress code, the belt itself, everyone's got different ideas on what's comfortable on the belt, the ~15/16oz of a J-frame (loaded with 38 special, in wadcutters it does make the FBI protocol for penetration) basically works across the board. In tons of pockets, the light weight doesn't tug on a belt, even a suboptimal one.
In my opinion, that 18-19oz and up range is where the belt matters more - that's not a crazy weight of course, 22/23oz is still very light - there are guys who somehow CCW 2011s with 25rd mags, 3 reloads, it's got an ACOG on it, and the biggest wallet you've EVER seen.
That works for some people!
It doesn't for others.
Not at all.

Some live and work in "Non permissive environments" where printing isn't a no biggy situation.

I'm just saying that the convenience and reliability of the pocket J-frame is why that platform has endured, why Ruger came out with LCR, why Kimber has come out with a K6XS (Basically a 6round J-frame in .38).
They're awesome.

I totally agree that for Home defense, or for serious police use, a fullsize duty gun is where it's at.
The snub nose revolver is for getting out of trouble.
The truth is (and thank God this is the case) we will carry these things for decades and likely not need them. Thank God for that.
The odds of us needing more than 5-6 rounds isn't Zero, but for normal CCW/"Civilian" life, it's not as likely as that mattering for say, a State Trooper chasing a criminal who doesn't want to go back to jail, and is willing to fight/die over it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geralt55] [#36]

Hey, if the size and weight of a J-frame makes you throw it on every time you step out the door, that's great.

In my daily life and the places I go, I want more than a revolver can offer.  Not enough to carry BUG or even a "G19" size handgun though.
View All Quotes

I hear ya

What's your preferred load in the hellcat?

IMHO if you ever mull over looking at a revolver of any flavor for carry (and i'm coming from the autopistol world), for say quick pocket use or "non permissive environment" use, consider a K6XS or a 6shot .32 variety.
I do prefer 6 shots to 5.  IMHO the differences between 9/10/11 can be debated, but when we're talking pocket guns, pocket gun ballistics in general, the difference between 5 and 6 is one worth thinking about, at least it is to me.
IMHO the 6th adds to the safety margin.

For that reason IMHO the 3 best choices overall for pocket-carry snubnose revolvers on the market that can be bought new today,
1) S&W Ultimate Jframe in .32
2) Kimber K6XS in .38
3) Ruger LCR, .327

All of those hold 6 rounds, all of those have workable triggers and sights (relative to small revolvers) that should make for a less bumpy transition from the more inherently shootable magfed pistols

Of those 3, the Kimber is my personal pick.  I like .38 special as a caliber, I trust it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#38]
If you leave the house with these two incompatible items in your pockets, you might be getting up too early.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:38:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Hey, being able to shoot a motherfucker while just looking like a dude with his hands in his pockets could come in handy.  But for me, the ability to shoot more than one round through a garment is less important than sights I can use (and the option of mounting a RDO), and twice the capacity in a more or less equal sized package.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Take your oldest, rattiest hoodie or get one from Goodwill, go to the range, and fire your Hellcat from w/in the pocket and see how many rounds you get off w/out drawing.  I'd suggest wearing gloves.

I don't carry my 101 by itself - it's the BUG.  Primary is a 26.  And you can mount RDOs on wheel guns now.  And lights on some of em.

Originally Posted By Bklyn_Irish:  If you leave the house with these two incompatible items in your pockets, you might be getting up too early.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33069/1000009877_jpg-3115122.JPG

Why should they be incompatible?  I can reload my wheelgun from my pistol mags.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#40]

I don't carry my 101 by itself - it's the BUG.  Primary is a 26.  And you can mount RDOs on wheel guns now.  And lights on some of em.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Take your oldest, rattiest hoodie or get one from Goodwill, go to the range, and fire your Hellcat from w/in the pocket and see how many rounds you get off w/out drawing.  I'd suggest wearing gloves.

Originally Posted By Bklyn_Irish:  If you leave the house with these two incompatible items in your pockets, you might be getting up too early.

In a .38 SPL?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Detn8r-Red2:

In a .38 SPL?
View All Quotes

In a .38 SPL?

In a 9x19 Ruger SP 101.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#42]

In a 9x19 Ruger SP 101.  
View All Quotes

In a .38 SPL?

In a 9x19 Ruger SP 101.  

That would make sense if that was what he had posted.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

In a .38 SPL?

In a 9x19 Ruger SP 101.  

How can you tell from his picture it's not a S&W 940?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#45]
Yeah, I have looked at his picture a couple times trying to figure out exactly what pistol and ammo he's shooting, and I still don't know for sure.
View Quote

We know it's not a 940 b/c he said his magazine that's loaded w/ 9x19mm is incompatible, so it's a .32, .38, or .357.  My point is they don't need to be incompatible, you can carry a Back Up Revolver in the same caliber as your Primary, unless you're carrying .357 SIG, .30 SC, or 5.7x28mm.

ETA:  Loading a revolver from a magazine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
I frequently carry a no Hillary Hole S&W 642 cut for full moon clips.
View Quote
I carry a no hole 442 when I go on walks with one speed loader.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

AIWB for seems like forever. Only thing that changes is the grips, I've tried em all. Currently using the Pachmyer Guardian Grips with the pushbutton pinky extender.

I have such a box. I was thinking of making mobile or perhaps a chandelier out of the contents.

And then of course there's the box of holsters...
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

I have such a box. I was thinking of making mobile or perhaps a chandelier out of the contents.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Samal:
yes.  when need something small

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277406/20240131_230639_jpg-3114220.JPG

View Quote

@Samal

What Altamont grips are those? I'm looking on their site and can't find them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:29:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Samal] [#50]
Originally Posted By TheOldRepublic:

@Samal

What Altamont grips are those? I'm looking on their site and can't find them.
View Quote

@TheOldRepublic

I bought them from gunbroker altamont outlet store. The item is gone, but the description was "Altamont Wood Grips - S&W J Round Combat Super Walnut Basketweave."

They are called Combat grips - https://altamontengraving.com/shared/photos/SJR-CF07-BW-M03L.jpg on Altamont website - looks like they are out of stock now

Page / 3
J Frame carry (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top