Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2012 5:45:21 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Recently I've been seeing a lot of people compare the Walther PPQ to the HK P30. It seems like fanboys from both sides of the fence tend to get very defensive when comparing the pistols. In reality, I think these two firearms are more similar than different, and that is a very good thing.
   I just wanted to take the opportunity to do a comparison between the two to perhaps help you decide which one of these fantastic weapons is best for you.

For starters, I realize the P30 would have been a more appropriate test subject, but unfortunately the only one I have available is the P30L, so I won't focus on the barrel/site radius advantage this particular model has on paper.
   Also, it's no secret the HK is considerably more expensive than the Walther. However, I'll try not to focus too much on the pricepoint. It seems like a lot of the HK guys get super defensive and insecure with the thought of a $499 dollar pistol being compared to their HK. Personally, price wasn't so much of a factor. I wanted two particular guns, so I did what any red-blooded American would do: I worked hard and bought both. Moving on.

Ergonomics:

The first thing you'll notice is that these two pistols feel extraordinarily similar in the hand. I have equipped both pistols with the medium sized back-strap.
The P30 obviously has the interchangeable side-panels, which I actually really like since I use the large side panel on the left side as a raise surface for my strong thumb. It seems to fit my hand more comfortably, and it also provides a bit of distance between your thumb and frame, in case accidental slide lever actuation is an issue. This feature on the HK is neat, but by no means is it THAT important.
Also, I personally prefer the texture of the P30 grip slightly more than the PPQ. It has a texture similar to a high grit sandpaper, whereas the PPQ feels a bit smoother. Both are among the most comfortable pistols I have ever held, however.

The mag release. Many people hate the German style paddle system, but if you are looking at this review chances are you like it and it's selling point for you. I know that I personally love it.
The P30/L mag release is a bit more squat and closer to the frame. I found it very easy to not only actuate with your strong middle finger, but also with your thumb if you are adamant on operating it similarly to more conventional push button systems.
The PPQ mag release is much longer and more slender. I find this lever to be best operated with the trigger finger. Also, since the lever is so long there's not only a good amount of leverage, but you don't have to move your trigger finger back towards the frame of the pistol. You simply drop your trigger finger down a centimeter or so and it effortlessly releases the mag.
Both systems are very similar. I am still on the fence in terms of which one I prefer, but since I EDC a PPS, I am starting to like the Walther style lever simply by virtue of the fact that I can use the exact same method.

The slide releases on these pistols are very similar. I personally prefer the PPQ's because they are a bit more slender and closer to the frame. Also, they are nice and snug on the frame. I have not seen any issues of loose fitting levers, like on some of the P series HK pistols.

The PPQ also feels to be slightly thinner. It is also a little bit smaller overall. This may be a plus or minus for you. I found that it is a bit easier to carry than the P30L. Once again, YMMV.

Dissassembly:

Both pistols are very easy to field strip. The HK's take-down/slide lever is captive and you have to pull the slide back and line up the lever with the notch on the slide and simply pop it out (I'm sure there's a youtube video that can better illustrate this).
Field stripping the PPQ is very Glock-like, and in my opinion, simpler than the HK. You'll notice a tab on each side of the pistol just above the trigger guard. You pull down on that, move the slide back slightly, and pull the trigger and bam, done. The tab itself is very easy to get a comfortable purchase on, even with sweaty hands.
Also, you DO NOT have to pull the trigger on the HK in order to disassemble it. However, this was never an issue of concern for me. YMMV.

Trigger:

I'm not even going to get into it. It's no secret the PPQ trigger is a dream. The P30L's single action pull isn't bad by any means, but the double action pull is a bit heavy for some. I personally prefer the PPQ. But anyways...

Barrel & Recoil Assembly

Like I said, since I have the P30L the barrel will be a bit longer than the standard P30 (something like 4.5 vs 3.8 inches respectively, give or take).
The PPQ has a 4 inch barrel. However, the sight radius on the PPQ isn't that much shorter than the P30L
The chamber on the HK seems slightly more bulky than the PPQ, with the feed ramps being nearly the same size, but the one on the HK seems to be a bit "fatter", as you can see in the picture.
Barrel thickness appears to be identical on both.

As far as the recoil system, the HK definitely is more impressive. It uses a steel recoil rod and the magic German recoil buffer. It's definitely a more robust mechanism, however I am not concerned that either will provide any issues, especially given the stellar reputation that Glock and the P99 earned with a polymer guide rod.

Sights:

Both of these pistols have factory sights that are nothing to write home about. The Walther uses a standard white 3 dot system, and the HK uses a 3 dot system with their glow in the dark stuff. I personally prefer the sight picture of the PPQ, but the HK has metal sights, which I prefer (the Walthers' are polymer, like a Glock). However, when you consider aftermarket sights, it doesn't matter too much. Also, POI is pretty much the same when shooting both, which I like.

Slide & Bore Axis:

Both slides are milled very similarly. The Walther seems to have deeper serrations and I think I get a better grasp on them, but the difference is negligible. Also, the front of the HK's slide tapers and the slide also has a lateral relief milled into it. This not only looks pretty, but arguably makes holstering a weapon easier, and I suppose that in theory the increased surface area may add some strength.
The PPQ slide is a little simpler, but is just as functional. Also, note that the PPQ's slide tapers towards the TOP of the slide. I noticed this adds to the "carryability" and overall bulk of the weapon when manipulating the slide, etc.

The PPQ's bore axis also seems to be a bit lower than the HK by however many millimeters. However, in my opinion, too many keyboard nerds and internet shooters put too much emphasis on this. Followup shots and muzzle rise are comparable.

Magazines:

Both pistols have a standard capacity of 15 rounds (with the Walther having the option of 17 rounders). The Walther seems to be the more "size efficient" magazine. I think this is due in part to the HK's robust design and fatter floorplate. Also, the HK mags are in house, German made mags. The PPQ mags are made in Italy by Mec-Gar, if that matters to you. Both mags tend to be around the $50 mark.

Fit & Finish:

I know this will rustle some jimmies, but I am going to have to say that they are about even. No, the HK doesn't use "superior polymer", and no, the Walther didn't "cut corners". Both are fantastic firearms.

Conclusion:

Both are top tier pistols. I have had the HK for years, and I just recently got the PPQ. I didn't think I could get another pistol that would hold a candle to the P30L, but I did. As cliche as it sounds, I think the best option is to get both. However, the Walther is obviously the better bargain. I purchased mine brand new for 490 dollars.
I love certain things about each pistol. I honestly can't pick a favorite. I consider them equal.

Here's my PPQ with the X300 that my P30L usually wears:

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
the BEST write-up/comparison to date, thank you VERY much for your time on this! excellent, and i too love my PPQ!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Great write up RanchDressing!

Wish i could have loaned you my P30 for comparison. Walther has stepped their game up and has put out a loaded gun at a great price on the market for avid shooters or weekend "operators."

Fair and non-bias write up. Thank you for your time Sir Ranch Dressing
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
.... nice socks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top