Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:53:35 PM EDT
Hey guys I was wondering what suppressor you would recommend for a HK USP Tactical .45?

So far I am looking at:

* SWR H.E.M.S.2
* SWR H.E.M.S. CT
* AAC EVOLUTION .45

Which SWR suppressor do you guys think is right for this gun?

I saw the Knights suppressors, but I wasn't really digging their look. I know stupid reason, but I would like my gun to look "sexy".

Also heard of GemTech, but also heard the above three companies are more desirable.

So what's your take and recommendation?

Link Posted: 5/16/2009 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
TAG for later.
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the AAC Orion can for my H&K Tactical.  I know they don't make it anymore but I assume what I am saying applies to their newer models as well.

Pros - When "wet", the thing is weally weally quiet.  I mean you could shoot the last wabbit in a string and the front ones won't know it  Excellent workmanship, fit and finish.

CONs - I didn't realize is WAS a "wet" can.  It also works dry but the suppression is much less.  

I guess if I was an "operator" instead of a gun nut that likes to shoot neat guns in the desert I would love it cause those guys probably don't shoot more than a magazine.  If they do they are in a real firefight and MR MP5 is probably brought to bear anyway

But, as a dummy who likes blasting stuff for no apparent reason I find it annoying to fill it with grease.  And I don't care for the added mess.  

So I guess I am suggesting you first decide if you  want a dry or wet can.  If you want dry then look at the specs for suppression by the various cans in dry mode and pick that way.

Link Posted: 5/16/2009 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick with a dry can....

Many will do.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought almost all cans could be shot either wet or dry.

With wet producing better sound dampening.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought almost all cans could be shot either wet or dry.

With wet producing better sound dampening.

If so news to me.  Tag to find out if an expert will comment.

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I am not aware of any .45 pistol cans that are very quiet (ie: 30+ dB reduction) when shot dry.  From my conversations with knowledgeable persons (ie Gemtech, SWR), the large bore of the 45 Auto makes it difficult to suppress hence most, if not all, are "wet" suppressors including the Knights.  I think the best you can get with a dry .45 can is around 20-25 dB reduction.    

Now, I don't know if this rule applies to a subgun silencer.  Maybe those can be made quiet without an ablative agent.  

If someone knows about a "dry" .45 pistol can, speak up!
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I went with the EVO-45 from  my research at silencertests.com.

I'll let you know how it works in a couple of months.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, mine is more of a muffler than a suppressor dry

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#9]
All the .45 cans on the market are wet cans. I have an Evo .45 and love it. My dealer also sells AWC cans and they work great also. If you can get over the looks of the Knights can get it, because they are the best in my opinion. When I bought my Evo my buddy decide to wait and order a Knights. All I can say is wow, that thing is good. The only .45 can I have seen that I did not like was the Gemtech Blackslide. It hurts your ears wet or dry.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I went with the SWR HEMS 2. Very quiet as far as .45 goes and their customer service is top notch.

Originally it was a HEMS, but when the new version came out they offered owners the chance to get the upgraded baffles and new LID installed for a small fee rather than saying "tough shit, buy a new one".
That kind of thing is nice these days when Form 4s are taking 4-6 months. Since the upgrade was technically just a repair job with the original manufacturer there were no additional taxes, transfers, or approvals to wait for.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
why not a knights???? nevermind

I heard the HEMS 2 its a great can too
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
The Knights is considered to be the benchmark that the others are compared to - it is also the priciest . The SWR HEMS2 is said to be just as quiet , for a lot less money . I own one , I'm still waiting on the paperwork to clear ... Joe Gaddini , the founder of SWR , used to work for Knights . I wonder if he designed the KAC unit ?
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag erino
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I chose the SWR HEMS2 but since I've been waiting over 3 months for a Form 3 transfer I can't give a range report...hopefully by Thanksgiving
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top