Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2013 1:54:06 PM EDT
Hi, maybe I'm just using the wrong ammo. I have an LCP that I've kept loaded with Gold Dots. I went to the range today and out of the 6 rounds in the mag, 2 jammed.

Every single round that loaded into the chamber wouldn't fire until I pushed the slide forward with my thumb (it kept sticking back a little).

Maybe I need to grease the slide rails? I've always just cleaned my guns with Breakfree and I never had problems like this.

I never even bothered to load a second mag. Hopefully I have less problems with my new Bodyguard .380.

Should I just load it with FMJ ammo and stay away from HP?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You're gonna like that Bodyguard!

Do you need both?  I'd get rid of the LCP (not that I have anything bad to say about them personnally)
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought the Bodyguard because it has a safety. My wife is the one that's been carrying the LCP and she's been uncomfortable with the idea that there's no safety.

I was thinking about selling the LCP on consignment at a local store, but now I can't sell it with a clear consience. If my wife would have needed the LCP for self defense she would have only been able to shoot 1 round. The 1st and 4th ones from the mag jammed.

The rounds she fired off today were the Gold Dots it was loaded with for a little more than a year.

Maybe it just needs a new mag.

My wife tells me now that when we bought the LCP a year ago, she had to push forward the slide back then too and she just never said anything. Maybe I just need to use some grease?

I just use Breakfree on my Glock and it's been loaded for over 10 years now (rotating between 2 mags every year or so), and it's never jammed once in over 4,000 rounds. Too bad Glock doesn't make a smaller .380.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
How many rounds have you put thru the LCP to break it in? I fired about 200 FMJ and carry now with Gold Dots, no problems. It comes out of the pocket weekly for a wipe down, de-linting and run the bore snake thru it. Monthly the gun and the mags gets completely broken down and cleaned.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I've put maybe 200 rds through mine - fmj and cheaper HPs (Privi).    Never a failure of any kind.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I put about 100 rounds through it after I bought it (I cleaned it first).

My wife told me that the slide was not moving all of the way forward back then as well and she never said anything because she didn't want me to return it.

I contacted Ruger and I have a rma number to mail it in.

The lady from Ruger said that sometimes you have to put a couple hundred rounds through it to break it in.

Personally, I find this unacceptable and I think they should reimburse me for my shipping costs if they find it's the gun that's the problem.

If Ruger fixes it, I'll be happy though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My wife told me that the slide was not moving all of the way forward back then as well and she never said anything because she didn't want me to return it.
The lady from Ruger said that sometimes you have to put a couple hundred rounds through it to break it in.
Personally, I find this unacceptable and I think they should reimburse me for my shipping costs if they find it's the gun that's the problem.

I don't own an LCP, but I have handled many pistols, including a few LCPs, P-3ATs, and DC380s.

Of course you have to break a pistol in. What is unacceptable about that? Are you taking your life seriously? I've broken in every weapon that I've owned before I even thought of carrying them, and I've carried many, many weapons. 200 rounds is nothing, if you're becoming proficient with a weapon that you will rely on to possibly defend your life, so defining as unacceptable a break-in of 200 rounds shows an unfortunate lack of perspective on your part. I've got decades of experience, and I wouldn't think of using even one of my ultra-reliable HKs as a carry piece out of the box, without significant range time with it, including over 200 rounds through the tube. It has to be like a part of your body, and you don't get that by firing a couple of boxes through it and shoving it in a holster. You may also find, during that break-in and familiarization process, that a conscious focus on controlling that crazy LCP muzzle flip will miraculously get rid of your feed issues.

800 to 1000 grit sandpaper, used carefully and sparingly on the feed ramp, going in the direction of the bullet feed, then wrapped around a pencil to polish the chamber, again, sparingly, carefully, and going back and forth in the direction/opposite direction of the feed, will get rid of the vast majority of wide-mouth hollowpoint feed issues in the LCP, if one is using the proper form with firing it.

Your problem is with hollowpoints that have a wide opening in the front in order to promote reliable expansion at the low speeds common in short barrels, in combination with the lack of a firm grip on the weapon. It is harder with light, miniature pistols with a small grip area to combat the flip of the muzzle, and this will often cause a failure to feed (and/or eject), even with RN rounds. That's not just an issue with your pistol, but with many small pistols. Not every pistol works fresh out of the box with every bullet, in every person's hands. That's just a fact of life. You can send it back to Ruger, and they will most certainly find it in spec, and then possibly polish the ramp and chamber.

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You're gonna like that Bodyguard!

Do you need both?  I'd get rid of the LCP (not that I have anything bad to say about them personnally)

How many Rugers do you own?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Call Ruger.  I had FTE's with mine.  They had me send it back to them for free, replaced the slide assembly and had it back within a couple of weeks.  In about 100rds there haven't been any issues yet.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]
My LCP has about rounds through it.  FTE every shot.  Slide opens halfway and the exiting empty gets hung no next round in mag.  Someone on here suggested trying a diff. mag.  I bought an aftermarket mag.  same issue still.  
I have cleaned/lubed.  Frustrated as mentioned above, who wants a carry weapon that is a single shot!

sounds like it is time to contact ruge..
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't own an LCP, but I have handled many pistols, including a few LCPs, P-3ATs, and DC380s.

Of course you have to break a pistol in. What is unacceptable about that? Are you taking your life seriously? I've broken in every weapon that I've owned before I even thought of carrying them, and I've carried many, many weapons. 200 rounds is nothing, if you're becoming proficient with a weapon that you will rely on to possibly defend your life, so defining as unacceptable a break-in of 200 rounds shows an unfortunate lack of perspective on your part. I've got decades of experience, and I wouldn't think of using even one of my ultra-reliable HKs as a carry piece out of the box, without significant range time with it, including over 200 rounds through the tube. It has to be like a part of your body, and you don't get that by firing a couple of boxes through it and shoving it in a holster. You may also find, during that break-in and familiarization process, that a conscious focus on controlling that crazy LCP muzzle flip will miraculously get rid of your feed issues.

800 to 1000 grit sandpaper, used carefully and sparingly on the feed ramp, going in the direction of the bullet feed, then wrapped around a pencil to polish the chamber, again, sparingly, carefully, and going back and forth in the direction/opposite direction of the feed, will get rid of the vast majority of wide-mouth hollowpoint feed issues in the LCP, if one is using the proper form with firing it.

Your problem is with hollowpoints that have a wide opening in the front in order to promote reliable expansion at the low speeds common in short barrels, in combination with the lack of a firm grip on the weapon. It is harder with light, miniature pistols with a small grip area to combat the flip of the muzzle, and this will often cause a failure to feed (and/or eject), even with RN rounds. That's not just an issue with your pistol, but with many small pistols. Not every pistol works fresh out of the box with every bullet, in every person's hands. That's just a fact of life. You can send it back to Ruger, and they will most certainly find it in spec, and then possibly polish the ramp and chamber.

I won't ever claim to be a pro when it comes to guns. I like to shoot them and I clean them every time I'm done. That's about it.

You might consider me to be an idiot, but I think a gun should work right out of the box. I've bought several gun's that have never jammed once, and I'm not rich enough to shoot more than a  hundred rounds out of each of my guns per year.

I bought a Taurus 22lr pistol for my wife and it jams about 1 out of 20 rounds, so a week later I bought the LCP to replace it. Now I think the LCP's a piece of crap too.

Hopefully the Bodyguard will be a better gun. I can't just keep buying more and more guns.

I think it's BS that I just had to pay $32.95 for FEDEX to ship the LCP back to Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't ever claim to be a pro when it comes to guns. I like to shoot them and I clean them every time I'm done. That's about it.

You might consider me to be an idiot, but I think a gun should work right out of the box. I've bought several gun's that have never jammed once, and I'm not rich enough to shoot more than a  hundred rounds out of each of my guns per year.

I bought a Taurus 22lr pistol for my wife and it jams about 1 out of 20 rounds, so a week later I bought the LCP to replace it. Now I think the LCP's a piece of crap too.

Hopefully the Bodyguard will be a better gun. I can't just keep buying more and more guns.

I think it's BS that I just had to pay $32.95 for FEDEX to ship the LCP back to Ruger.

I don't think that you're an idiot. Not in the least. I'm just trying to get you to understand the importance of the proper grip of a small pistol with quite a bit of muzzle flip. In order to get such a small, light, package, more is expected out of the shooter, like a good, steady, firm, grip and a conscious attempt during training to reduce muzzle flip as much as possible.

There may indeed be something wrong with your pistol. You'll find out soon enough.

I won't defend the P-3AT/LCP/DB380 design, as it speaks for itself, and it is certainly not for everyone.

The Bodyguard is only a slightly heavier pistol (only about 2 ounces), but it has a bit less muzzle flip than the LCP (P-3AT) design. Unfortunately, by many accounts, it needs to be broken in as well.

Good luck to you!

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife and I both own LCP's and both have had hundreds of rounds through them,of many different loads. The first 100rds through them were Herter 95gr FMJ's to break them in. I've run six different brands of .380 through my LCP and have settled on either the Buffalo Bore 100gr hard cast lead FN or Hornady Critical Defense for my carry ammo. My wife's LCP suffered a few FTE's until she learned to quit limp-wristing it and since then has had zero problems through 300rds. My LCP has had zero problems since new,with about 550rds through it.
I prefer the LCP over others because it doesn't have any safeties. You would almost have to be a total idiot to experience an ND with their long trigger pull. I carry mine in a Recluse pocket holster and wouldn't consider any other holster. They are that good.

Depending on a small pocket auto out of the box,or any auto pistol for that matter,is a risky proposition. They ALL need a good break-in before trusting your life to one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Send it back, and let Ruger look at it.  I know that the breaking in period may be a little much, but the nice thing about the LCP is you can carry it without thinking.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, did you get your LCP back from Ruger?  If so, how is it now?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with the others.  You need to learn how to control those little pistols in order for them to fire properly.  I have an LCP, and did have a couple issues in the very beginning, but I am convinced now it was the shooter, and not the ammo.  It feeds everything fine.

One thing I did was put a Packmeyer (SP) rubber grip on the gun.  Just that extra few thousandths of rubber on the grip and my moderate sized hands made a world of difference.  My fiance also shoots it well, and can actually handle it better than I can due to her smaller hands.  She actually likes to shoot it.  

You also might have to try different ammo.  Also, get someone else to shoot it who is a CCW instructor, Police instructor, etc.  You may be amazed that there is something wrong with your grip overall which may be causing the issues.  

Heck, I thought I was a good shot in my Sheriff's Office until I attended an FBI Range Officer class, and found out how bad I sucked, lol.  I am much better now, and that really opened my eyes, even though I was not able to complete the class.  

Have a good one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had issues with mine from the get-go.  I need to send it in.  Mine fails to chamber rounds on occassion.  I have to whack the back of the slide.  I probably have 100-150 rounds through it.  

From what I've heard here and elsewhere, problems are pretty rare with the LCP, so I'm not looking to give it a bad rap.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Me, my dad and 4 close friends all have LCP's.  5 of them required no break in and gobble everything, the 6 required about 100 rounds before it was failure free.  All flawless now in reliability with any type of .380 ammo I can find.

If you got problems, contact ruger, they're good with what we've had done with them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I followed the fluff n buff instructions on kt.org and mine ran flawlessly since, even with my reloads. I couldn't find enough ammo for a good break in back in '09. Now I do this on all of my new guns, or at least polish the chamber and feed ramp.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I just ran the first 160 through my new LCP, 150 FMJ and 10 JHP.  All flawless, I really like this little gun.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one of the early LCP's and it has 500+++ rounds through it, (I stopped counting) I was shooting +P's before Ruger said not too. (OOPS)  Anyway it is 100% reliable with whatever I've fed it.  I've even shot it with no lube and full of pocket lent and it still works.
Ammo used:
Win white box FMJ
Rem UMC FMJ
Reloads 100gr plated
MagTec +P 85gr HP
Hornady Critical Defense

I usually prefer to carry something bigger but it's just so easy to drop it in with a pocket holster and go.

Old Marine
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#21]
New recoil spring.  Give it a shot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Your LCP doesnt like Gold Dot.
Try different ammo.
My choice in .380 is  FMJ.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I picked up a lightly used LCP the other day and ran 100 rounds of summit FMJ through it.  I experienced the same issue FT feed but only sometimes on the initial round being chambered.  Once in battery, it functioned fine.
When I broke the pistol down after for cleaning, I polished the feed ramp with some flitz.  I also noticed that in the frame, right before the feed ramp, there is a sharp shoulder that had shinny metal.  I didn't not address that area but I think cleaning that up should stop the rounds from getting caught on the edge where the projectile meets the brass.  No functioning or ejecting issues and no FTF once in battery, only on initial charging.

Note: After polishing up the edge of the feed ramp in the frame with a stone, the FTF issues are resolved.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

.....Should I just load it with FMJ ammo and stay away from HP?

You have correctly answered your own question.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Seeing this the Ruger forum I'll suggest an LCR to clear up those problems; even though I'm more of a S&W J-frame guy.

-JC
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Same problem here. With fmjs or quality HPs.

I have shot hundreds of rounds through it and it didnt use to ftf

Of glock make a lcp sized 380 there would be no need for any other 380. What good is a unreliable pistol. Hard to have confidence in a defensive pistol like this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same problem here. With fmjs or quality HPs.

I have shot hundreds of rounds through it and it didnt use to ftf

Of glock make a lcp sized 380 there would be no need for any other 380. What good is a unreliable pistol. Hard to have confidence in a defensive pistol like this.
View Quote

The vast majority of LCP's run reliably for their owners. (Including me.) Have you gone through the motions with Ruger customer service?

Hundreds of rounds and slide doesn't close all the way? Maybe as simple as a new recoil spring set?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I put a new wolf spring in it and it didnt help. The slide doesn't close all the way reliably. I do need to send it back to ruger when I get time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I put a new wolf spring in it and it didnt help. The slide doesn't close all the way reliably. I do need to send it back to ruger when I get time.
View Quote

What poundage of Wolff spring did you use?

I had the same problem as everyone else here and I put a Wolff 13lb. spring in and it runs great now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#30]
It was a step or two above stock iirc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Gents, I don't believe we should have to spend our own money to correct Rugers defective guns by polishing feed ramps, changing recoil springs, shooting 150-200 rds. to "break in" per Rugers reply and paying crazy shipping charges just to have their problems corrected.   After all, we paid good money for their product so shouldn't we expect a little bit of reliability in return?  OK, rant off.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Gents, I don't believe we should have to spend our own money to correct Rugers defective guns by polishing feed ramps, changing recoil springs, shooting 150-200 rds. to "break in" per Rugers reply and paying crazy shipping charges just to have their problems corrected.   After all, we paid good money for their product so shouldn't we expect a little bit of reliability in return?  OK, rant off.
View Quote

You revived this two month old thread for that.

Hey Gents, ever try lubing them?
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Sure, I thought you need a laugh.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't understand how anyone would feel comfortable carrying a gun without putting at LEAST 200 rounds downrange with it.  Maybe you don't carry your LCP, and if that's the case, please feel free to ignore my response.  But I doubt many people buy an LCP for anything BUT concealed carry.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've owned two different LCP's. Still have the second. Both were 100% right out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#36]
After months of resisting an LCP because I thought the .380 round was too ineffective for a defensive weapon I finally bought one about 2 months ago. It has been 100% relaible with all brands of hollowpoint and FMJ ammo I have tried through it. I have also fired some old  lead round nose reloads through it and have been unable to make it hiccup or fail to fire relaibly. It has been 100% relaible with both factory magazines I have for it, a 6 and a 7 rounder. I have become a believer and now carry it daily in my pants pocket as my CCW for work both in the office and out in the field on invests. If I think I may end up in something more serious I still opt for my Glock 30s but this little LCP is GREAT!!....<><....:)
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't understand how anyone would feel comfortable carrying a gun without putting at LEAST 200 rounds downrange with it.  Maybe you don't carry your LCP, and if that's the case, please feel free to ignore my response.  But I doubt many people buy an LCP for anything BUT concealed carry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, for a carry pistol a person should shoot a couple hundred rounds through it just to make sure it functions properly and you would trust your life with it.  Cleaning,and oiling should be a top priority for a carry piece.  I put over 250 rounds using various types of ammunition, name brand, trying to allow mine to "break in" but it just wasn't reliable enough for me to keep.  Other posters have said they have had great results with the LCP and others have had poor results.  YMMV.  I didn't aim to start a shit storm here, so if you were offended, my apology.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How many rounds have you put thru the LCP to break it in? I fired about 200 FMJ and carry now with Gold Dots, no problems. It comes out of the pocket weekly for a wipe down, de-linting and run the bore snake thru it. Monthly the gun and the mags gets completely broken down and cleaned.
View Quote

Exactly. I went shooting with one of my friends who had a LCP and he was having difficulty getting a complete magazine to fire. Then I found out he had been carrying that before breaking it in. I won't carry a gun that I can't fire 200 rounds through without a hiccup.

If you are having trouble at a range with no stress, imagine how much worse it could be on the street, dirty, with lint and sweat, etc and some guy pounding your face into the concrete.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Agreed, for a carry pistol a person should shoot a couple hundred rounds through it just to make sure it functions properly and you would trust your life with it.  Cleaning,and oiling should be a top priority for a carry piece.  I put over 250 rounds using various types of ammunition, name brand, trying to allow mine to "break in" but it just wasn't reliable enough for me to keep.  Other posters have said they have had great results with the LCP and others have had poor results.  YMMV.  I didn't aim to start a shit storm here, so if you were offended, my apology.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense taken, I just trying to understand your response.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't ever buy a Les Baer. 2k+ and it still needs 500+ for break in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top