Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
45 acp? In a revolver? (Page 3 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The 45 AR round takes a different speed loader than 45 Colt due to the rim thickness difference.  Sometimes you can make AR speed loaders work with Colt ammo, but not always.  Many years ago I picked up a bunch of speed loaders for AR very cheap because of this.   No one was wanting them at the time so we did some trading.  The HKS ones I have are marked auto rim on the knob above 25.  Not sure how the Colt models were marked.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:34:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dewingrm] [#2]

Also a fan of .45 acp in revolvers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
I'm interested in this, as the charter arms seems to be the easiest way to get into a 45 revolver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'm interested in this, as the charter arms seems to be the easiest way to get into a 45 revolver.

I looked at two of these at a local gun show yesterday. Both were very roughly finished and assembled quite crudely. I know it's only a $400-450 gun, but even at that price point the level of finishing was low to me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I stumbled across a Smith 625-8 JM today at my LGS.  My wife has picked it up for my Christmas present this year.  I’m a lucky man!

It’s going to be sweet with my 325NG and 1917.  Unfortunately I won’t get it till Christmas…….
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I finally got to pick up my new Smith 22-4 Thunder Ranch.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
My 325 TR.  Love it!!!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife’s Christmas Present to me:

Unfortunately I won’t get to shoot it till Christmas……..
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By IcmThrawn:
My 325 TR.  Love it!!!https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/221232/20210625_045352_jpg-3014233.JPG
View Quote

they're awesome guns
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently borrowed some 45AR brass to test in a 44 magnum safariland comp 1. It jammed up due to the rim thickness.

I just acquired some repro SL variants in 44 magnum. I'm 87% sure the 45AR will fit these.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#11]
One BIG plus in a revolver is you get to choose bullet profile based on efficiency rather than "will it cycle".
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Put the factory grips back on the 325NG

The 625-8 JM is under the tree……
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
. . .
How do you know?
View Quote

There haven't been any werewolf sightings in his area. That's how.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By compuvette:
Put the factory grips back on the 325NG

https://i.imgur.com/Bh83gy6.jpg

The 625-8 JM is under the tree  
View Quote
something about the 325NG just appeals to me. I love the way it looks.

One of these days I'll find one for less than stupid pricing...
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GunnyG:
. . .
How do you know?

I can't argue with results
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#17]
something about the 325NG just appeals to me. I love the way it looks.

One of these days I'll find one for less than stupid pricing...
View Quote

Found mine at my local FFL years ago.  It’s just a “mean” looking revolver.  Short barrel, big bore.  It’s nice to carry but that fat cylinder can get uncomfortable after a while.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:
One BIG plus in a revolver is you get to choose bullet profile based on efficiency rather than "will it cycle".
View Quote

More correctly you don’t have to understand the role magazine lip type and taper plays with feeding different point profiles in a 1911.

That said, round nose bullets in a moon clip pretty much throw themselves in to a .45 ACP revolver.  With sharp shouldered semi wad cutters you need to take a bit more care to get them to drop right in.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got a 625 that has the lightest and smoothest action of any S&W revolver I've had.  No light primer strikes, but I only use Federal primers.  And with full moon clips and beveled chambers you can reload it from across the room!

The cylinder notches are starting to peen so it only gets babied now.  

What I really want is an M25, full lug, 4 inch barrel, target hammer, smooth trigger, square grip frame and polished blue.  Pity S&W never made it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Arc-Lite:  I've got a 625 that has the lightest and smoothest action of any S&W revolver I've had.  No light primer strikes, but I only use Federal primers.  And with full moon clips and beveled chambers you can reload it from across the room!

The cylinder notches are starting to peen so it only gets babied now.  

What I really want is an M25, full lug, 4 inch barrel, target hammer, smooth trigger, square grip frame and polished blue.  Pity S&W never made it.
View Quote

Make it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Unwrapped my new to me 625-8 JM this morning.  I swapped the JM grips out for some Ahrends r-to-s combats I had laying around.  Much better fit for me.

I’ve got a bunch of medium 45acp 255gr SWC’s loaded up that I’ll run through it.  I’m hoping the weather will hold off so I can break it in at the range this week……
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, which on of you guys was it that was using fishing tackle boxes to store loaded moon clips in and which boxes were you using again?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Unwrapped my new to me 625-8 JM this morning.  I swapped the JM grips out for some Ahrends r-to-s combats I had laying around.  Much better fit for me.

https://i.imgur.com/ZRKuFhw.jpg

I’ve got a bunch of medium 45acp 255gr SWC’s loaded up that I’ll run through it.  I’m hoping the weather will hold off so I can break it in at the range this week……
View Quote

Sweet
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Flambeau Tuff Tainer/Zerust Container.

You can get them at Walmart or at Amazon.
You will not get enough dividers if you buy 1, so I recommend buying several so you can scavenge the dividers from the other one.
1 container will hold 24 full 45 ACP moonclips so 144 rounds total.  They fit really well in my midway range bag for competitions.

Amazon Product
  • SMART DIVIDER SYSTEM: This tackle storage box offers customization options with 12 adjustable dividers that can create up to 24 different compartments. This ensures quick compartmentalization of your storage space.

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Lol, after I read your post I checked eBay for grips and got an identical set. I made the offer and I guess they accepted it right away lol

I like JM grips but prefer Ahrends.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Lol, after I read your post I checked eBay for grips and got an identical set. I made the offer and I guess they accepted it right away lol

View Quote

Well congrats!  My only complaint is I have big hands so the finger grooves are almost small for me.  Otherwise, they fit great and look awesome!  I wish Kim was still making grips.

I lucked out that this full lug revolver fits in the Simply Rugged 4” N frame pancake holster I’ve had for years.  The 625 has some heft to it but once I’ve checked zero and function it’ll get some hip duty.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Well congrats!  My only complaint is I have big hands so the finger grooves are almost small for me.  Otherwise, they fit great and look awesome!  I wish Kim was still making grips.

I lucked out that this full lug revolver fits in the Simply Rugged 4” N frame pancake holster I’ve had for years.  The 625 has some heft to it but once I’ve checked zero and function it’ll get some hip duty.
View All Quotes

I know my k frame grips fit perfectly
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bigdog02:
Flambeau Tuff Tainer/Zerust Container.

You can get them at Walmart or at Amazon.
You will not get enough dividers if you buy 1, so I recommend buying several so you can scavenge the dividers from the other one.
1 container will hold 24 full 45 ACP moonclips so 144 rounds total.  They fit really well in my midway range bag for competitions.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000LF3E8O
View Quote

Thank you. I did some searching and bought the tackle bag from the same manufacturer that comes with three of them, it should be able to hold all my revolver supplies nicely and not look like a range bag
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I also loaded up a variety for my new 22-4. The SWCs look promising, but I'm also about to order some LBT style WFN from Montana Bullets to try out. If they work, I'm going to order a mold.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:

I also loaded up a variety for my new 22-4. The SWCs look promising, but I'm also about to order some LBT style WFN from Montana Bullets to try out. If they work, I'm going to order a mold.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I love a nice wide swc but it definitely slows down reloads.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

These are what I'm eyeing. The LFN will load easier and supposedly trade less terminal performance for better accuracy. The only style they offer for 45acp is the first one with a plain base and no crimp groove.
LFN PB 230gr

These two are for .45 colt and slightly heavier at 250gr. I like the crimp groove, but honestly haven't even had a chance to shoot my 22-4 yet. I've heard that crimp jump happens occasionally on stouter loads. Not sure if that will be an issue around 900fps or not.

LFN GC 250gr

WFN PB 250gr
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if that last one would feed in a 1911...
View Quote

I bet it would with some tinkering on COAL.  I have no issues with 255 SWC’s and 250gr RNFP’s once I found the correct length.  My primary “load testing” 1911 is my well loved series 80 Gold Cup.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#34]

I bet it would with some tinkering on COAL.  I have no issues with 255 SWC’s and 250gr RNFP’s once I found the correct length.  My primary “load testing” 1911 is my well loved series 80 Gold Cup.
View All Quotes
I wonder if that last one would feed in a 1911...

Yeah, I don't see why not. These feed
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:

More correctly you don’t have to understand the role magazine lip type and taper plays with feeding different point profiles in a 1911.

That said, round nose bullets in a moon clip pretty much throw themselves in to a .45 ACP revolver.  With sharp shouldered semi wad cutters you need to take a bit more care to get them to drop right in.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
Originally Posted By JTMcC:

Cool, you "more correctlyed" me AND called me ignorant in one short sentence

More power too anyone who wants to use "lip type and taper" to feed shot shells, WFN's, WLN's and full wadcutters thru a semiauto, but I only have so much free time available and I like revolvers so it's a done deal for me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 8:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#37]
This showed up.

Model 25-3

Feels good in the hand.

Grip color is less reddish-purple garish in real life. Anyone know if these grips were furnished with the original gun back in the day?

(Glock 17 in pic for scale)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Copycat…….
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Copycat…….
View All Quotes

Copycat…….

😎
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I need to break the 1917 out of the safe.  It currently wears a set of Sambar Stag service grips.

The 625 and the 325:

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#41]
From a Facebook group. The guy said he was pushing these 307gr bullets over unique and AA7 from a 625.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:13:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KS95B40] [#44]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My two .45ACP revolvers. The blue one is a 1937 Brazilian that I bought when they were imported back in the late ‘80s. The other one is a US Property marked 1917 that has been heavily buffed and nickel plated. I bought it last year with a pair of Pachmayr grips on it for $75.

Both are good shooters, usually loaded with .45AR ammunition.

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#46]

That is sharp looking.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally took a new pic of the 1917.  It was built in 1918 and has full British proof marks.  I shoot it from time to time but stick to coated lead.  It’s my understanding that the rifling on these is pretty shallow.  Mine looks good but I want to keep it that way.

I wish it could tell me it’s story…….
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally took a new pic of the 1917.  It was built in 1918 and has full British proof marks.  I shoot it from time to time but stick to coated lead.  It’s my understanding that the rifling on these is pretty shallow.  Mine looks good but I want to keep it that way.

https://i.imgur.com/lEQ6rdN.jpeg

I wish it could tell me it’s story…….
View Quote

That's beautiful.

I'd carry that
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#50]
Having this holster made for my 1917....

It'll be tweaked slightly so the 625 will fit as well.....
Page / 4
45 acp? In a revolver? (Page 3 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top