BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
45 acp? In a revolver? (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm currently on the lookout for a Brazilian M37. Had one when I was a kid and like an IDIOT sold it.  Big mistake, as it was a fun shooter and I hope to get another.

Seen one this past weekend at the gun show. Its was junk, not worth the asking price.

The search goes on.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Sweetheart grips inbound as well?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:

Sweetheart grips inbound as well?
View Quote

Already got Sambar Stag service grips.  That’ll just have to do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By IHC53:
I'm currently on the lookout for a Brazilian M37. Had one when I was a kid and like an IDIOT sold it.  Big mistake, as it was a fun shooter and I hope to get another.

Seen one this past weekend at the gun show. Its was junk, not worth the asking price.

The search goes on.
View Quote

Yeah, a couple years ago they were $500 all day. Now? They're starting at $750
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View Quote

Like land, no longer made.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Upper left
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

I'll take a 1917 to ride the river with. Stag grips and a milt sparks pmk.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Put another 100 rounds through the 625-8 today.  All the rounds I’ve fired through the 625 so far have been my 255gr SWC Herco load.  Clocks in just shy of 800fps from a full size 1911.  Out of the wheel gun it’s got “healthy” recoil.  Nothing excessive, but it isn’t a 38 either.  I don’t think I’ll be shooting that load in the 325NG.  It would be painful…..

Man, the 625 is a fun gun to shoot.  With the Wilson spring kit the trigger pull is excellent.  So far the accuracy with the 255’s are very good.  I need to try my 200gr SWC midrange load.  I’m assuming it’ll be a pussycat.  The 255’s at 800 from the full lug 625 feel an awful lot like 240gr SWC 44 Specials at 900 from my 4” 624.

@03RN I honestly don’t know how you do it.  255’s at 1000fps would be a handful out of that Mountain Gun of yours.  That’s light 44 magnum territory.  My 240gr 44 mag light load is running at 1050fps from a 4 inch 29 and that’s enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By compuvette:
Put another 100 rounds through the 625-8 today.  All the rounds I’ve fired through the 625 so far have been my 255gr SWC Herco load.  Clocks in just shy of 800fps from a full size 1911.  Out of the wheel gun it’s got “healthy” recoil.  Nothing excessive, but it isn’t a 38 either.  I don’t think I’ll be shooting that load in the 325NG.  It would be painful…..

Man, the 625 is a fun gun to shoot.  With the Wilson spring kit the trigger pull is excellent.  So far the accuracy with the 255’s are very good.  I need to try my 200gr SWC midrange load.  I’m assuming it’ll be a pussycat.  The 255’s at 800 from the full lug 625 feel an awful lot like 240gr SWC 44 Specials at 900 from my 4” 624.

@03RN I honestly don’t know how you do it.  255’s at 1000fps would be a handful out of that Mountain Gun of yours.  That’s light 44 magnum territory.  My 240gr 44 mag light load is running at 1050fps from a 4 inch 29 and that’s enough for me.
View Quote

It's a handful but not bad. It definitely takes some concentration to get 3 sec bill drills.

I shot some of my 200gr swc loads which iirc push 1000fps from a 5" 1911 but are a very light 800fpsish from the mountain gun. I was stacking them in the head last outing. Almost cheating now that I put the wilson springs in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]

What grips are those..
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked this up today. I know @03RN likes mountain guns and 45...
Converted 629-2
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful find
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:25:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Philmore] [#14]

Eye ballin one of those now locally.  It’s in 45LC.  They want $1750 for it.  Trying to work them down some but they’re very rare critters.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Philmore:

Eye ballin one of those now locally.  It’s in 45LC.  They want $1750 for it.  Trying to work them down some but they’re very rare critters.
View All Quotes

Oof, that's a bit much for me.
Attachment Attached File

Carrying mine right now actually
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

That's the going rate. I've got a 25-7 5" lined up right now for $1200. The owner only does face to face and he's 8hrs away, lol. He hooked me up on a .45 colt Anaconda barrel recently. It's worth the drive to meet the guy for stories anway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Do you have info on who did the conversion? I know nothing about it
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes

Oof, that's a bit much for me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000605_jpg-3176287.JPG
Carrying mine right now actually
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000619_jpg-3176288.JPG

Very nice shot!  It’s 80 degrees here now.  Snow looks great!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mississippiflush:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mississippiflush:

Bump so I don’t hide your question.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#20]
Very nice!  Here my 1989 bought the same year.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Gatorade96:
https://i.imgur.com/8Gh2fcO.jpg
Smith & Wesson Model 1917 Brazilian 1937 contract.
View Quote

I like it. Gives off a steampunk vibe.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I was thinking a 200AW for my 1917, you don't think a 1917 is too long for a PMK?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#23]

That's the going rate. I've got a 25-7 5" lined up right now for $1200. The owner only does face to face and he's 8hrs away, lol. He hooked me up on a .45 colt Anaconda barrel recently. It's worth the drive to meet the guy for stories anway.
View All Quotes

@Philmore

Tyler Gun Works has a 625-9 Mountain Gun for $1200 now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Dave_Williams:

I was thinking a 200AW for my 1917, you don't think a 1917 is too long for a PMK?
View All Quotes

I'm not sure. I've got a pmk for a 3" gun and a 4" gun on order.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#25]
PMK?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
PMK?
View Quote

https://www.miltsparks.com/outside-the-waistband/pmk/

It's a highly regarded revolver holster.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Both ride fairly low, not sure what you mean by too long
PMK puts the bottom of the cylinder about bottom of belt.
200AW it rides just a bit higher.

Both are very low if you want to ever cover the gun with a shirt tail or jacket.

Milt Sparks are open carry holsters to me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  PMK?

Ah.  Milt Sparks I had heard of, the PMK I had not.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Great gp holster
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Serious question, how do you define General Purpose?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:

View All Quotes

Conceals well enough for day to day errands but not at work.

Low enough that a rucksack belt fits above it.

Works great for range use and my competitive needs.

If I worked where I could print or there wasn't a no weapons policy I'd use it 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Since he asked about his 1917, assuming it's still got the 5 1/2" barrel, some people would want it to ride lower making it easier to clear leather. Other people would want it to ride higher to get the bottom of the holster up and easier to cover.
So without info on what the holsters going to be used for, it's an unanswerable question.

Given that the majority on this forum that ever carry a large revolver only do it occasionally, and in the outdoors, my perspective is useless and holster ride height won't matter in those circumstances.
But it's helpful in holster questions to state what exactly they intend to carry it for imo.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:  Since he asked about his 1917, assuming it's still got the 5 1/2" barrel, some people would want it to ride lower making it easier to clear leather. Other people would want it to ride higher to get the bottom of the holster up and easier to cover.
So without info on what the holsters going to be used for, it's an unanswerable question.

Given that the majority on this forum that ever carry a large revolver only do it occasionally, and in the outdoors, my perspective is useless and holster ride height won't matter in those circumstances.
But it's helpful in holster questions to state what exactly they intend to carry it for imo.
View Quote

How are they gonna end up w/ a drawer full of holsters if they state exactly how they're gonna use it & get good advice the first time?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Since he asked about his 1917, assuming it's still got the 5 1/2" barrel, some people would want it to ride lower making it easier to clear leather. Other people would want it to ride higher to get the bottom of the holster up and easier to cover.

View Quote

Sorry, yes, it has the 5 1/2” barrel. When you look at 03’s PMK, on my gun it would be down the end of his pocket. I think 200AW is the way to go for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#35]

How are they gonna end up w/ a drawer full of holsters if they state exactly how they're gonna use it & get good advice the first time?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTMcC:  Since he asked about his 1917, assuming it's still got the 5 1/2" barrel, some people would want it to ride lower making it easier to clear leather. Other people would want it to ride higher to get the bottom of the holster up and easier to cover.

You pose perhaps THE great question of our time.
Sadly I do not have the answer.
I also do not have the proverbial "drawer full of holsters", probably because I do an unreasonable and unhealthy amount of holster research
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Sorry, yes, it has the 5 1/2” barrel. When you look at 03’s PMK, on my gun it would be down the end of his pocket. I think 200AW is the way to go for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45824/IMG_0442_jpeg-3183029.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45824/IMG_0442_jpeg-3183029.JPG

Yeah, it'll hang down lower than the 200 iirc. But it also tucks the grip in more
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Drawer? I'm almost filling a 27gal storage bin at this point, just from holsters I don't use. I have a smaller box of ones I do sometimes use.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
Drawer? I'm almost filling a 27gal storage bin at this point, just from holsters I don't use. I have a smaller box of ones I do sometimes use.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CFletch:

I just throw everything in a big pile on the floor behind and alongside the reloading bench. If I need a holster, I usually just order a new one, because it has become impossible to actually find anything.

The one gun I do carry on a regular basis (a little .380) gets thrown in a Wile E. Coyote mug on top of the gun safe (one of the gun safes) whenever I take my pants off..
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
45 acp? In a revolver? (Page 4 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top