User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ButchA61:
I stopped at Cabela's this morning, after I was done with my morning school bus runs (yes, yes, not only am I a retired "Coastie", but I drive a school bus for the county public schools - next year will mark 12 years!)

I grabbed a small, storage/carrying case, and a box of Hornady Critical Defense 110gr regular JHP (NOT +P). When I was back home, I loaded the 5 shot cylinder, tossed my S&W 36 in my coat pocket, and took my 82lb Pitbull/Lab mix for a dog walk (yes, I have a CWP here in Virginia). No issues at all...

https://i.imgur.com/GG8c3iw.jpg
View Quote

Congrats on the GB snag. Nice Old School roscoe.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one like yours a decade ago and should have kept it

Now I want another!
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep telling myself I need a nice old 38 but everytime I go on gb to look I don't see anything that's a bargain and I stop looking for 6 months lol
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:
I keep telling myself I need a nice old 38 but everytime I go on gb to look I don't see anything that's a bargain and I stop looking for 6 months lol
View Quote

You'll probably do much better hitting local pawns & gun shops.  I stumbled into mine at a local shop for a decent price.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I called smith and Wesson and asked if I could shoot +p out of it. The guy I talked to said "sure" He said he wouldn't do it all the time but that you could shoot it some with +p and carry it with +p ammo.

Edit I've still only shot and carried standard .38. I did carry it as a back up gun for years but finally bought some newer j frames
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Originally Posted By ButchA61:
Thinking back to my post...

My S&W 36 was made in 1972.  I seriously doubt I could shoot +P out of it.  I wouldn't even want to try!
I called smith and Wesson and asked if I could shoot +p out of it. The guy I talked to said "sure" He said he wouldn't do it all the time but that you could shoot it some with +p and carry it with +p ammo.

Edit I've still only shot and carried standard .38. I did carry it as a back up gun for years but finally bought some newer j frames

In older articles, the writers said that you’ll wear out your hand before wearing out the pistol.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have my Dad's flat latch Chief's Special in nickle that was his off duty revolver from his time in the NYPD.  It is one of the guns I will never ever part with (nor his Model 10 duty gun).  I am still kicking myself for lack of foresight because about 15 to 20 years ago the local PD's were transitioning away from revolvers for autos and the local gun emporium was loaded with off duty guns (mostly S&W Model 36's) with asking prices under $100.  I should have bought all I could back then, who knew?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Old school meets new school.  Both Chief Specials at least 50 years in age difference.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JWnTN:

In older articles, the writers said that you’ll wear out your hand before wearing out the pistol.
View Quote

Exactly. If anyone shoots plus p out of these they fire a partial box then save the last 5-10 to carry. If you do this once a year ( with non plus p practice in between) the gun will run indefinitely
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:
My mom purchased this no dash model 36 for my dad in 1971 for $50.  Its now my safe queen.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20909/IMG_5687_JPG-3044548.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful! Those grips are worth a good penny, too.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]
1977 model 37 I just picked up a few days ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Just won an auction on a beater model 36. $350 after shipping and tax. Finish condition suggests it was carried a lot. Figured there's no point in a nice one if I'm going to carry it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
Just won an auction on a beater model 36. $350 after shipping and tax. Finish condition suggests it was carried a lot. Figured there's no point in a nice one if I'm going to carry it.
View Quote

That is my problem, most I run across and buy are in really decent shape and I hate to start beating it up. Last 2 chiefs I bought.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably my most priced possession. My Dad’s Model 60 purchased in the early 70’s. He carried it everywhere long before IL had CCW. In fact I remember him pulling it on a guy that was trying to steal his watch on the Chicago “EL” when I was probably 7 or so. The only gun I got from his collection, gave it to me a week before he passed. Still have the original box and papers.
Attachment Attached File

A Model 649-2 I picked up a few years ago from a good friend. Was a CPD back-up gun. This one gets carried often.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Smith and Wesson model 60 with John Hurst grips.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top