Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2010 9:02:20 AM EDT
I am trading for one, and I'm wondering what the Kahr forum thinks about this little .45.  

I am a Glock owner already and have decided to try a CW45 out rather than the Glock 36.  Will I be disappointed?  Pleasantly surprised?  

I love the dimensions of the CW45, and I like the fact that the mags are slimmer than the G36 mags.  IMO, the G36 mags/mag well are really carelessly designed.  

I'd appreciate your thoughts guys!
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
getting info together to do a fairly detailed report on my recent purchase of a new CW45.I have had a great experience with Kahr's customer service ...It's easily concealable... it shoots ball ammo very accurately...You don't want to shoot it all day...beyond that you'll have to wait for my full report.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The CW45 is a very good pistol. I carried one along with a CW9 until I decided to go smaller with a PM45. I have never had a failure of any kind with any of my Kahrs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The CW45 is a very good pistol. I carried one along with a CW9 until I decided to go smaller with a PM45. I have never had a failure of any kind with any of my Kahrs.

Your first post was used HERE?  I'm flattered.  Welcome.

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

getting info together to do a fairly detailed report on my recent purchase of a new CW45.I have had a great experience with Kahr's customer service ...It's easily concealable... it shoots ball ammo very accurately...You don't want to shoot it all day...beyond that you'll have to wait for my full report.

I look forward to reading your write-up.  

Oh, and there is no pistol that I can shoot all day... seeing how I'm not all that wealthy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your first post was used HERE?  I'm flattered.  Welcome.  

We all have to start somewhere. <G>

Link Posted: 5/23/2010 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two and I'm happy with both of them. It is pretty much my daily carry unless I need something smaller/lighter and then it's either a CW9 or PM9.

My daily carry CW45 on the left in a Comp-Tac MTAC and my "backup" CW45 next to it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have two and I'm happy with both of them. It is pretty much my daily carry unless I need something smaller/lighter and then it's either a CW9 or PM9.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/Engineer303/ammo_and_guns/Kahr_Family_s.jpg

My daily carry CW45 on the left in a Comp-Tac MTAC and my "backup" CW45 next to it.

Whoa!  That's a lot of Kahrs!!  I can't wait until mine arrives...

Link Posted: 5/30/2010 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Got to take my CW45 out to the range on Friday, still no problems with it.  Let me dad try it out for the first time and he was surprised how easy it was to shoot.  I'm actually carrying it more now after my primary carry Colt Defender has been having a few failure to feeds lately.  As far as the being able to shoot it all day, I know some aren't fond of the aggressive checkering on the grip, but that can be dealt with in various ways.  I put on a Hogue Handall Jr. grip and am happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got to take my CW45 out to the range on Friday, still no problems with it.  Let me dad try it out for the first time and he was surprised how easy it was to shoot.  I'm actually carrying it more now after my primary carry Colt Defender has been having a few failure to feeds lately.  As far as the being able to shoot it all day, I know some aren't fond of the aggressive checkering on the grip, but that can be dealt with in various ways.  I put on a Hogue Handall Jr. grip and am happy with it.

I just wear a shooting glove on my right hand at the range with all my pistols. Probably not practical in a real self defense situation, but at that point a blister is probably the least of my worries.

Link Posted: 6/8/2010 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
CW45 owners....... what OWB holsters do you own?

I want a plastic / polymer holster for range use, but high enough quality to use it for OWB carry if I choose to.

I'm going to buy a good IWB holster, but like to have options.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 3:28:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to own a G36. My CW45 has it beat hands down. Slimmer, better fit to my hands, points better at least to me. I carry mine as a back up to my 1911.

Do what the manual says and shoot at least 200 rds. to break it in. More is better and you'll notice a difference as the round count increases. WWB or something along those lines for break in.  Clean and lube it well.

I'm using Cor Bon DPX 185gr.+P in mine for carry.

The mags fit perfectly in 1911 magazine pouches.

Dawson Precision has Trijicon Stake On Front Night Sights available. Mine cost me $56.25 including  shipping. They come with a stake on tool. If you can't follow the directions and install them, you shouldn't be carrying a gun. Really simple installation.

Hope this helps.

Send me an email regarding holsters if you want.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I ended up buying the Comp-Tac OWB holster with the 15degree forward tilt.  It should work well as a range holster, and in the winter I think it will conceal under a jacket easily.

ONE question for my fellow Kahr Owners:  Do you know what the reason is for the little piece of metal protruding from the trigger guard on the left side?

See it?  Right by the pin that holds the trigger group in place...

I'm curious.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one and love it. Had it for just over a year now, and mix it up in my carry line up if I want low rounds (7) but heavy hitting power. It was accurate right out of the box, but Initially had a some break in issues, and a smith had to re-ream the chamber, but since then, I would trust it with any ammo in nearly any environment.

Here are a couple pics from last year where I tested it with a couple dozen rounds consisting of 6 different brands of ammo. The mix was 185-230 grain, FMJ-JHP, and some were +P's as well. Mixed the rounds up in the mag, gun was dirty, and I was going to see if it would be reliable and accurate. Nothing scientific, just more like chaotic. I fired Slow, (1-2 seconds per shot) Semi fast, (approx 2 shots per second) and Fast (@ 3 shots per second) at a distance of 10 yards, with my buddy timing me.

I was happy with the results. The mixed ammo was definitely felt in differing recoil, and the gun never malfunctioned with all the different types of ammo and bullet configs. Accuracy was more than sufficient for SD needs. Especially firing faster than I am comfortable with for accuracy. But like I said, trying for a little chaos like it could be under the stress of a real situation.

The CW45 is outstanding!

"
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have one and love it. Had it for just over a year now, and mix it up in my carry line up if I want low rounds (7) but heavy hitting power. It was accurate right out of the box, but Initially had a some break in issues, and a smith had to re-ream the chamber, but since then, I would trust it with any ammo in nearly any environment.

Here are a couple pics from last year where I tested it with a couple dozen rounds consisting of 6 different brands of ammo. The mix was 185-230 grain, FMJ-JHP, and some were +P's as well. Mixed the rounds up in the mag, gun was dirty, and I was going to see if it would be reliable and accurate. Nothing scientific, just more like chaotic. I fired Slow, (1-2 seconds per shot) Semi fast, (approx 2 shots per second) and Fast (@ 3 shots per second) at a distance of 10 yards, with my buddy timing me.

I was happy with the results. The mixed ammo was definitely felt in differing recoil, and the gun never malfunctioned with all the different types of ammo and bullet configs. Accuracy was more than sufficient for SD needs. Especially firing faster than I am comfortable with for accuracy. But like I said, trying for a little chaos like it could be under the stress of a real situation.

The CW45 is outstanding!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/viper1357/Guns%20stuff/KAHR/kahrcw45_65.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/viper1357/Guns%20stuff/KAHR/kahrcw45_62.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/viper1357/Guns%20stuff/KAHR/kahrcw45_66.jpg

"

Ah, HA!  Yours has the little piece of metal protruding as well.  I wonder if it is just part of the design.  Have you noticed it?  What do you think?

AND, nice little write-up.  Mine is staying in the fold permanently.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2010 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I have several Kahr's, albeit they are PM's. They all have that little hole you are asking about. I looked in the manual and disassembled mine and from what I can see it looks like it may (?) be a tiny roll pin that serves as an anti-walk stop for the trigger pin. It doesn't show it in the manual though.

As a side note, I also own Glocks and they have been regulated to the nightstand/safe as the Kahr is a much more concealable handgun. For the guys that think they need to carry a box of ammo in their magazines.....well, I don't. If I can't hit what I'm shooting at in a couple of rounds I'll be in trouble. I sure am not one of those guys that anticipates a hoard of mutent Zombies arrising from the dead to attack me. LOL
WW

You'll love the Kahr......I hope.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have several Kahr's, albeit they are PM's. They all have that little hole you are asking about. I looked in the manual and disassembled mine and from what I can see it looks like it may (?) be a tiny roll pin that serves as an anti-walk stop for the trigger pin. It doesn't show it in the manual though.

As a side note, I also own Glocks and they have been regulated to the nightstand/safe as the Kahr is a much more concealable handgun. For the guys that think they need to carry a box of ammo in their magazines.....well, I don't. If I can't hit what I'm shooting at in a couple of rounds I'll be in trouble. I sure am not one of those guys that anticipates a hoard of mutent Zombies arrising from the dead to attack me. LOL

WW

Thanks.  I DO like the Kahr quite a bit.  It's a very slick little .45.

I'll shut up about the whole "pin thing" now...  

Link Posted: 7/1/2010 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

WW

Exactly. I am not LEO so I do not plan or hope to encounter a shootout like TV or movies would dictate. For SD purposes, I would hate to have to account for dozens of rounds that did not hit the BG or multiple BG's, so if I feel I need more than 7 rounds of .45 ACP, I carry my Kel-Tec P11 with 11 rounds of 9mm +p, and if either of those would not be enough, I 'also' carry my J frame S&W with 5 rounds of .38 +p rounds, for a NY reload. Anything more is just going to get me in more trouble than I need..  "Aim Small, Miss Small"  

"You'll love the Kahr" is seconded!  

Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have had mine for over a year traded from a G36 had a battery issue on the start but was repaired fast and sent back. I have aout 3500 down it now and have had no issue. Daily carry gun. here is how I have mine set up.

Holster:     Glock Combat Factory Poly
                 I used this for 3-4 years w/G36 and like it cheap easy to draw and comfy for me. You need to mod the holster for the Mag Release

Grip:          26" Mountain Bike Tube cut to fit
                 The dimples in the front and back can be painful for i the IWB carry and long range days this gives me a grip that does not slide and also saves my waist well in a sitting position

Ammo:      230 gr Federal Hydra-Shok

Mags:       2 Kahr CW45 Carried in a Kydex belt slide I got from some dude at the gunshow.

The tube works well for a the grip issue it can cause some pain after about 250 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I used a 26" Mountain bike tube I didn't patch worked great. The checkering is rough on the hand.

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I just shot two new pistols this weekend, my Glock 34 and my Kahr CW45. I was expecting the recoil on the CW45 to be worse than my 1911, it's a pretty manageable package with standard loads. I picked up Agrip grip wrap for both but hadn't had a chance to put them on yet, I know a lot of people complain about the 'bite' of the stippling, I didn't notice it at all for 100 rounds. of course, I was also shooting my Diamondback .380 which literally makes my right hand bleed from the slide bite & trigger guard after the first 25 rounds, so handling the Kahr was like petting a lamb. The CW45 is about the same size as my Taurus PT709, but I can get all my fingers on the CW45 grip. Only one round jammed out of the first clip (PMC Bronze) and the 2nd box of ammo was range reloads and never failed. The CW45 is the first compact carry gun I've owned that is fun to shoot and I plan on putting a lot of range time with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Just picked one up with 75 rounds through it for $350.
Are the mags really $44?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are the mags really $44?

No, you can find them for less, just have to shop around.  Dang, just looked and it seems they went up in price.  I'm pretty sure I got some at topgunsupply.com awhile back for like $26 and they are now $39.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Are the mags really $44?

There are a few good deals on the exchange... One guy is selling 3 for 99 bucks I think...  I don't have a link.  Search it!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Are the mags really $44?

There are a few good deals on the exchange... One guy is selling 3 for 99 bucks I think...  I don't have a link.  Search it!

Looking!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Are the mags really $44?

Looking!

May have been thegunsource.com where I once got them cheap.  They have the K625 model mags for $33.99 right now.  I must have caught them on sale or something.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=89&t=793542

This is the guy i was talking about.

I see you already found him..
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I like the vertical dot/line sight set-up. Is there a tritium version?

Failing that, are these the correct sights?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

These prices are not too bad:

Bud's Gun Shop

Ivanhoe Outlet
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bud's Gun Shop

Ivanhoe Outlet

That K725 on the Bud's site  is the 7 round mag for the TP45.  It will stick out in the CW45 and have a gap between the grip and the base plate of the mag.  From looking at Kahr's site, they have a new K725G that has a grip extension on it to fill that gap.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bud's Gun Shop

Ivanhoe Outlet

That K725 on the Bud's site  is the 7 round mag for the TP45.  It will stick out in the CW45 and have a gap between the grip and the base plate of the mag.  From looking at Kahr's site, they have a new K725G that has a grip extension on it to fill that gap.

Well, that figures. Kahr's website said the CW45 takes the K725 magazine, but there is no mention made of the gap. Of course, they do not carry the K725G at that price, or any other price for that matter.

DISREGARD: Found them.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top