Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2009 7:57:46 AM EDT
I just picked up a PF9 over the weekend and took it to the range after a thorough cleaning. Picked up a box of cheapo 9mm range ammo and a box of Remington Golden Saber to try out.

Had no problems at all with the cheap stuff. Tried two-handed, one-handed, limp wristed it and not a single malfunction

I then wanted to see how it liked the Saber's - it didn't. I tried three mags worth and all jammed at least once, one jammed twice. It doesn't seem to like the Golden Saber's.

So my question is have others had problems with the Golden Saber's feeding in their PF9's? Or does mine just need to be broken in a bit more?
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I found out from another thread that the heavier bullets can cause problems in small 9mm pistols. The Golden Sabers that I was using were 147 grain. I'll try them in the 124 grain and see if those feed any better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't speak to the PF9, but the 124gr Golden Sabers feed fine in my P11.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the PF-9, and I had 2 fail to feed in one clip (7 rounds) malfunction with the Remington Golden Saber 147g, I have shot 100 rounds of Winchester round nose, and 20 rounds of Magtech Guardian Gold 124g with no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My PF9 feeds them just fine.

Let it break in a little, then see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My PF9 feeds them just fine.

Let it break in a little, then see what happens.

Can you verify that they are the 147gr?
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My PF9 absolutely refused to feed 147gr Golden Sabres.  I would get a shot off, and then "click", the hammer would fall on a empty chamber.  I read somewhere that this was a problem due to the longer OAL of the 147gr round.  The slide wasn't moving back far enough to pick up the next round.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you polish your feedramp?
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
later model pf-9s have a modified feed ramp that aids in feeding 147gr bullets

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a problem with the 147 grain GS as well. I found that the bullets were undersized as I could slide the bullet into the muzzle all the way up to the mouth of the case! This caused the round to be horrible inaccurate in my PF9.

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm pretty sure I'm running the 147s but they could be the 124's...

They run great in my PF9 and I have the feed ramp style on the right.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a problem with the 147 grain GS as well. I found that the bullets were undersized as I could slide the bullet into the muzzle all the way up to the mouth of the case! This caused the round to be horrible inaccurate in my PF9.

I noticed that too, I found out that golden sabers are tapered down to aid with feeding.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I use 147 grain, Hornady FTX rounds and have had no problems at all, I was going to buy the golden sabers since that is what I use in my P3AT with out problems, but the owner of the store said he has seen problems with the PF-9 and golden sabers. The Hornady rounds have a very pointed nose, and rubber ball in the end to prevent hang, he said he has never seen or heard of a Hornady FTX failing to chamber. The other reasoning for the FTX is in all the test shots he has personally done with them, every one mushroomed perfectly, which is more than he can say for other HP rounds. So I took his suggestion and they work great. I have the new version of the feed ramp.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Today I tried several new brands. All but two fed flawlessly. I think the main issue with reliability is the 147 gr bullets. All below are 124 gr.

Speer Gold Dot 124gr GDHP 9mm: 15 rounds, no malfunctions

Speer Gold Dot 124gr GDHP 9mm +P Short Barrel: 20 rounds 3 double feeds

Federal Hydra Shock 124gr JHP 9mm: 15 rounds, no malfunctions < Noticeable improvement in accuracy over all the others.

Remington Golden Saber 124gr JHP 9mm: 8 rounds, no malfunctions.

I also shot some American Eagle 124 gr FMJ. 50 rounds and had 3 double feeds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top