Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2011 4:47:51 PM EDT
I want a pistol for front pocket carry.

This would be my "have a gun" weapon, for when something bigger is not desired.

It seems there are a few decent loads out there (Hornady CD, Winchester PDX1, CORBON 90 gr JHP)

Tell me of your P380 experiences.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Placed in a simple DeSantis Nemesis holster, and front-pocket carry is fine.  Occasionally check your magazine's seating though.

My wife has one with the CTC laser on it.  She is tiny and very bony in some places.  The P380 hides easily on her.  She has an ankle rig, pocket holster, OWB, and one that goes between her knockers.

It is much easier to shoot well than an LCP/P3AT/Seecamp/etc.  Trigger is like a tuned S&W revolver in double action. For best results, pull the trigger smoothly and constantly all the way through.  Don't stage the trigger.

We don't use hollow points.  I don't think that .380 JHP gets up enough steam coming out of that short barrel to effect meaningful expansion while ensuring penetration.  Preference is to use hotter european-derived .380ACP FMJ to maximize penetration and reliability.

Nice little gun.  She shoots it very well.  It ran flawlessly for several hundred rounds, but recently started locking the slide back on a partial mag.  I talked to Kahr and they think they know what the problem is (slide release lever spring).  The upside of this is that she is becoming a pro with running failure drills, and cross applied the skills to our other handguns.

They do take a few hundred rounds to fully break in.  ~200-300 rounds.  The hotter, the better.  Still, it goes with out saying.  Any gun in this size class is a "carry often, shoot seldom" type.  She carries my G19 or my Hk as clothing and situation permits.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Placed in a simple DeSantis Nemesis holster, and front-pocket carry is fine.  Occasionally check your magazine's seating though.

My wife has one with the CTC laser on it.  She is tiny and very bony in some places.  The P380 hides easily on her.  She has an ankle rig, pocket holster, OWB, and one that goes between her knockers.

It is much easier to shoot well than an LCP/P3AT/Seecamp/etc.  Trigger is like a tuned S&W revolver in double action. For best results, pull the trigger smoothly and constantly all the way through.  Don't stage the trigger.

We don't use hollow points.  I don't think that .380 JHP gets up enough steam coming out of that short barrel to effect meaningful expansion while ensuring penetration.  Preference is to use hotter european-derived .380ACP FMJ to maximize penetration and reliability.

Nice little gun.  She shoots it very well.  It ran flawlessly for several hundred rounds, but recently started locking the slide back on a partial mag.  I talked to Kahr and they think they know what the problem is (slide release lever spring).  The upside of this is that she is becoming a pro with running failure drills, and cross applied the skills to our other handguns.

They do take a few hundred rounds to fully break in.  ~200-300 rounds.  The hotter, the better.  Still, it goes with out saying.  Any gun in this size class is a "carry often, shoot seldom" type.  She carries my G19 or my Hk as clothing and situation permits.

Thanks for communicating your experiences.

I also have a G19 + VM2 holster for when I need a larger class of gun.  It has been flawless so far.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I've put a couple hundred rounds through mine ( bought it used ).   It runs fine with everything except steel-cased stuff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
It just depends where you draw your line in the sand when it comes to pocket guns, it's a very subjective term I'm finding out.

IMO, if you want to give up some size and weight to have a more friendly gun to shoot then you're on the right track.
For me I like my pocket guns small as possible with as much punch that can fit in that package but as you know I give some things up in other areas.

I thought the LCP/P3AT in .380 was that gun but I've had my eye on the diamondback DB9 in 9mm as of late.
GL
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
google

kahr+reliability
or
kahr+problems

look,you just saved yourself a bunch of money and headache
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If your really want to have a reason not to buy a Kahr, it is owned by the Tongil Group. Tongil is Korean for "unification."  Tongil Group is supposed to be a fund raising (tax free?) arm of the Unification Church aka the Moonies.

If you don't want to be talked out of it, if you google <insert manufacturer> problems/reliability you'll find problems. Any pistol manufacturer is going to have some pistols that have problems.  Most people seem to be pretty happy with Kahr, but I still won't contribute to a cult.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If your really want to have a reason not to buy a Kahr, it is owned by the Tongil Group. Tongil is Korean for "unification."  Tongil Group is supposed to be a fund raising (tax free?) arm of the Unification Church aka the Moonies.

If you don't want to be talked out of it, if you google <insert manufacturer> problems/reliability you'll find problems. Any pistol manufacturer is going to have some pistols that have problems.  Most people seem to be pretty happy with Kahr, but I still won't contribute to a cult.

Tech forum.  Tech forum. Tech forum.  Get this BS out of here.  

Corporations pay taxes.  They also make products, and give people good jobs in the USA.  Being a moonie, mormon, catholic, buddhist, etc is not a job requirement for anyone working for Kahr or subsidiaries.

Where do you get this BS From?

Would the same apply to a handgun made by IMI that supports the Jewish state of Israel?
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Overpriced "mouse gun". Consider a PM9 instead.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#9]
The price is hefty BUT there is no other readily available .380 on the market that is as accurate and locks back on the last round.

I have one and have not had any issues out of it.  Occasionally the slide will not lock back but I attribute that to plinking ammo more than anything.  On defensive HP loads it locks back every time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The price is hefty BUT there is no other readily available .380 on the market that is as accurate and locks back on the last round.

I have one and have not had any issues out of it.  Occasionally the slide will not lock back but I attribute that to plinking ammo more than anything.  On defensive HP loads it locks back every time.

Except for the Sig P238!!!!!

I carry mine in a Looper Brand Pocket BUG holster.  It is leather with a Kydex insert on the outside to hide the profile and then it is moulded to the gun on the inside.  Looper probably makes one for the Kahr also.

Also, look at the Kimber SOLO.  Same dimensions except for width of all the "mouse gun" .380's.  I have no idea of the reliability, but the package looks great!

Link Posted: 8/15/2011 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corporations pay taxes.  They also make products, and give people good jobs in the USA.  Being a moonie, mormon, catholic, buddhist, etc is not a job requirement for anyone working for Kahr or subsidiaries.

Would the same apply to a handgun made by IMI that supports the Jewish state of Israel?

Here comes the internet police.  Since you asked a question, I'll answer it, even though it will probably make you angry and cause thread drift.

"Technically" I get this "BS" from researching the companies I choose to spend my money with, perhaps you could look at Tongil Group's Website.  You can also find the subsidiary Saeilo, and look at their website listing Kahr here.  If you choose not to, or have differing opinions about where you will spend your money, that's great.  It's your money.  I was simply informing the OP of a potential reason not to buy a Kahr, if he was, indeed, trying to be talked out of it.  No, there is no requirement (I presume) to be a member of the Unification Church in order to work for Kahr.  It doesn't change the fact that profits from those pistol sales are going to the church.  If that's okay with you, then buy a Kahr.  I choose not to.  I have friends that bought Kahrs.  None of them were aware of the connection.  Some don't care, some say they wish they knew before buying.  None of them got rid of their Kahr because of it.

And yes, IMI is a state owned company.  If you don't want to spend money there because ultimately Israel is getting it, I wouldn't have a problem with that.  That reason wouldn't stop me personally because I support Israel, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who felt different.  I know a guy that won't touch, much less buy an AK because of the platform was designed to kill Americans (and has, and still is).  Know what?  I don't necessarily agree with his position (but don't disagree completely either), but I won't hold it against him.  It's his choice.  I don't think people need to think the same way I do.  

So back to the OP:  My buddies that have Kahrs like them.  Any firearm manufacturer will have incidents of pistols that have failures; and people that have failures are going to make a lot more noise than the ones that run great.  If you really wanted to be talked out of it, I gave you an excuse.  If you want one anyway, I recommend trying to find one to rent and if it lives up to your expectations, buy one.  I have not known anyone personally who had problems.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Decide if it's a tool or something you want to be nice/valuable.

There are ends of the spectrum - a basic tool of a gun you wouldn't miss if dropped overboard and isn't going to rust might be a LCP.  Just a cheap tool, still a .380.

On the other hand, there are some nice .380's like the Sig 238 that costs more and you'd miss if you lost it - still a .380.

Then there are a bunch in between.

I suggest you think about whether this pocket carry is just a tool or a collectible - then spend accordingly.  To me a .380 isn't a plinker or target gun - it's strictly survival.  That said, I have a couple - a S&W Bodyguard (tool) and a PPK/S (collectible - sort of).  I use the tool (Bodyguard), and leave the more expensive, heavy, pretty gun in the safe.  Buy what you'll use, get good mileage from, etc over something you'll put wear on/degrade by carrying - it's just a .380 here we're talking about.

Or get both.

Link Posted: 8/15/2011 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a LCP and sold it because of the lack of sights. Bought a P380 and really like the gun. Then I got to thinking about the PM9, so I got one too.

Over all the LCP sucked, the P380 is a true pocket gun, and the PM9 is a tight fit in the pocket and better carried IWB. All the Kahrs have been 100% with about 1000 rounds between them.

Most of the time I carry a Glock 26, but I have no problem carrying the PM9 IWB, with the P380 as a bug in my front pocket. If you go with a pocket pistol be sure to practice your draw.

Link Posted: 8/15/2011 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
i"m looking at a used one with supposedly 300 rounds through it for 450, is that a good price?
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Skip the P380 and go right for the PM9!!

I front pocket carry a Kahr PM9 in a DeSantis Nemesis everyday with no issues. I find myself touching my pocket several times a day to make sure the gun is still there... it's that unnoticeable.  I'm 5'10 and weigh 150lbs, so I'm not a huge guy either.

ETA my Kahr has been extremely reliable for me and very accurate
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a P380 for my wife.

Used PMC FMJ to break it in.  Damn it's accurate, and reliable, and super light weight.

Put about 500 rounds through, including two boxes of Speer Gold Dots.  Never had a malfunction.

You won't regret the purchase.
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i"m looking at a used one with supposedly 300 rounds through it for 450, is that a good price?

Yes.  These are not cheap guns.  NIB they are selling for $650-$750 around here for the basic gun (no night sights or lasers)

Our P380 was $550 used with the CTC laser, one mag, and no box.  Not a great deal at all, but the least expensive P380 we could find.
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#18]
no reason in hell to carry a 380........get a good snubby  i suggest the 340/360PD  load it with some corbon 110+p DPX  or 135 speer gold dots......carry in front pocket with an uncle mikes numer 3 holster or a desantis nemesis and your set
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here comes the internet police.  Since you asked a question, I'll answer it, even though it will probably make you angry and cause thread drift.

"Technically" I get this "BS" from researching the companies I choose to spend my money with, perhaps you could look at Tongil Group's Website.  You can also find the subsidiary Saeilo, and look at their website listing Kahr here.  If you choose not to, or have differing opinions about where you will spend your money, that's great.  It's your money.  I was simply informing the OP of a potential reason not to buy a Kahr, if he was, indeed, trying to be talked out of it.  No, there is no requirement (I presume) to be a member of the Unification Church in order to work for Kahr.  It doesn't change the fact that profits from those pistol sales are going to the church.  If that's okay with you, then buy a Kahr.  I choose not to.  I have friends that bought Kahrs.  None of them were aware of the connection.  Some don't care, some say they wish they knew before buying.  None of them got rid of their Kahr because of it.

And yes, IMI is a state owned company.  If you don't want to spend money there because ultimately Israel is getting it, I wouldn't have a problem with that.  That reason wouldn't stop me personally because I support Israel, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who felt different.  I know a guy that won't touch, much less buy an AK because of the platform was designed to kill Americans (and has, and still is).  Know what?  I don't necessarily agree with his position (but don't disagree completely either), but I won't hold it against him.  It's his choice.  I don't think people need to think the same way I do.  

So back to the OP:  My buddies that have Kahrs like them.  Any firearm manufacturer will have incidents of pistols that have failures; and people that have failures are going to make a lot more noise than the ones that run great.  If you really wanted to be talked out of it, I gave you an excuse.  If you want one anyway, I recommend trying to find one to rent and if it lives up to your expectations, buy one.  I have not known anyone personally who had problems.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't care who you worship or who you self identify with on religious or economic ethos.  I won't knock you for your beliefs as it is your God given right to think what you want.  But it has no place in this discussion.  If you opened the books on investors, principals, stakeholders, and customers on every major arms company, you would be ideologically forced to throw them all in the river.  The Arms industry only sees green.

Kahr makes innovative and quality American Made products to protect American individuals.  Bottom line, end of story.  They are owned by the moons, not Al Qaeda.

Is is the best you can contribute?  An incomplete and partially informed opinion of the ownership group and an even worse understanding of finance?   Common.  This isn't GD.

Apologies to the OP for the derail.
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
no reason in hell to carry a 380........get a good snubby  i suggest the 340/360PD  load it with some corbon 110+p DPX  or 135 speer gold dots......carry in front pocket with an uncle mikes numer 3 holster or a desantis nemesis and your set

My wife is hot and wears nice clothes.  The snub is too fat so she is relegated to carrying it in her purse.  I want to get the Kahr and find a way for her to carry it on her person. So in this case, yes, there is a reason.
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't care who you worship or who you self identify with on religious or economic ethos.  I won't knock you for your beliefs as it is your God given right to think what you want.  But it has no place in this discussion.  If you opened the books on investors, principals, stakeholders, and customers on every major arms company, you would be ideologically forced to throw them all in the river.  The Arms industry only sees green.

Kahr makes innovative and quality American Made products to protect American individuals.  Bottom line, end of story.  They are owned by the moons, not Al Qaeda.

Is is the best you can contribute?  An incomplete and partially informed opinion of the ownership group and an even worse understanding of finance?   Common.  This isn't GD.

Apologies to the OP for the derail.

Well Dan, the OP asked to have the forum “talk [him] out of a Kahr P380.”  Whether the OP was being facetious, I don’t know.  I am simply providing him a potential reason not to buy one.  The reason I am providing may or may not matter to him, and whether it does or not matters nothing to me.  Whether or not it has a “place in this discussion” really is up to the OP now, isn’t it?

The fact is, it matters to some people, even though you apparently don’t think it should.  The difference between us is that I’m supplying facts and letting people make up their own minds, while you are simply trying to talk loudly and detract from the facts I present.  I don’t know why you are so defensive about this, and why you are making such statements about me as having “[a]n incomplete and partially informed opinion of the ownership group and an even worse understanding of finance.”  I would expect someone making such a claim against me (frankly it sounds like you are trying to be insulting), to back up such a claim with examples of where I am incorrect.

I happen to be fairly confident in all the facts I have provided.  Before you go on another tirade about what I don’t know about the Tongil Group, let me provide you with more information about my understanding of the ownership group and finances.  The Tongil Group is owned by the Tongil Foundation.  The Tongil Foundation is a non-profit supporting the church.  The profits from the Group go to the Foundation, which in turn goes to the church.  

If you don’t trust my understanding of the corporate structure and finance, you can read what Kook-Jin "Justin" Moon, the Chairman/CEO of the Tongil Group and the founder of Kahr, has to say in an interview found on the Tongil Group’s website:

Q: The Tongil Foundation cannot be separated from the Unification Church.
A: Tongil Foundation is a non-profit organization. Its certificate of incorporation clearly states that the foundation supports the Unification Church. Our for-profit investments involve about four industries. We run the businesses and make a profit and give the profit to the Unification Church, and sometimes invest that money in the businesses. It is not that difficult to separate religion and financial management. The Tongil Group aims to make a profit, and the foundation owns the stock of the Tongil Group, so it receives a dividend. The mission of the Tongil Foundation is to support the Unification Church.

Q: When Rev. Sun Myung Moon steps down, who will take charge of the Tongil Group and the Tongil Foundation?
A: I will stay in the position of the Chairman of the Tongil Foundation. As long as I am in that position, the purpose of the Tongil Foundation will continue to be to support the Unification Church. When the assets of the Tongil Group are managed to make profit, the profit goes into supporting the development of the church. My younger brother Hyung Jin is in charge of the church. He is responsible for the religious aspect, and my older brother Hyun Jin is in charge of overseas NGO activities. Even when my father steps down, we will continue to bear our share of responsibility and manage the Unification Church and the Foundation.

Now, if you don’t have any specifics about where anything I have said is incorrect or “incomplete and partially informed,” why don’t you just say, “that’s all well and good but it doesn’t matter to me.  If it matters to you, I feel sorry that you are neglecting yourself from owning such a fine pistol as a Kahr,” instead of trying to tell me I’m wrong.  I don’t have any issue with you coming to different decisions than I do about whether or not to buy a Kahr.  I do take issue with you making unsupported disparaging remarks towards me.

I have said it before and I’ll say it again.  I don’t care what purchasing decisions people make.  But the OP asked for information, which I provided.  I did not provide an unsupported opinion, but rather facts.  Whether those facts influence his decision, I don’t care.  He can at least make a more informed decision.

And to the OP, consider going to the 9mm PM9 as Snowolf suggested.  It’s only ½ inch longer and less than a ¼ inch wider.  Then you can shoot a greater range of (cheaper) ammunition.  Depending on how you dress, the difference really shouldn’t prevent you from pocket carrying.  Same magazine capacity.  It will be heavier though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I too am interested in the Kahr P380 for pocket carry, I just can't find any around me to play with. Those of you who have the P380 and the PM9, would you mind posting comparison pics of the two? Curious as to just how much smaller it is.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I was one of the unlucky ones that had issues with 2 Kel-tecs so I got the P380. No problems with it and I carry it every day.

It is pricey, but worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd suggest you shoot an HK P2000 SK or a Walther PPS.

Forget the cheap Kahr product.  

BTW,  this thread keeps on  rolling and we've not heard from you since 8/14.  Three weeks ago.  

You solicited opinions and gotten them from  knowledgeable members who took some time to respond to your OP.

How about doing us the courtesy of an update?   What did you buy?
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd suggest you shoot an HK P2000 SK or a Walther PPS.

Forget the cheap Kahr product.  

BTW,  this thread keeps on  rolling and we've not heard from you since 8/14.  Three weeks ago.  

You solicited opinions and gotten them from  knowledgeable members who took some time to respond to your OP.

How about doing us the courtesy of an update?   What did you buy?

I appreciate the responses.  The reason I did not follow up is that I still have not bought a pocket pistol.

Also, this thread had been dormant since 8/17 before today.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Had the LCP, sold it for the Diamondback .380 had to send it back to factory twice, traded for the Kahr P380 . Gun shoots great easy to handle and has night sights best .380 I've shot to date. Also have the PM9 and that is to large for me for front pocket carry. The Kahr comes with 2 6 round mags and I found digest all that I have put through it. Currently carry the Hornady Critical Defense load and functions well. You will not be disappointed with the Kahr. Good luck with your search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top