Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2012 10:37:19 AM EDT
Has ayone compared the ATI and Taurus 92 clones against a Beretta? Are the clones worth the risk or should I just buy the Beretta?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has ayone compared the ATI and Taurus 92 clones against a Beretta? Are the clones worth the risk or should I just buy the Beretta?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I have a Taurus 99 that I bought new in about 1989 that is a fine pistol.  I like the frame mounted safety much better that the Beretta's slide mounted hammer drop.  That said, I unloaded a new Taurus slim after getting it replaced for a cracked frame.  It had already been serviced twice for FTE/FTF issues.  I have a new Taurus revolver that I have to send back, because the cylinder won't lock in place if you cock the hammer back.  I will never own another Taurus.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I wont even give it a chance
I would just buy the M9
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
get the real deal. I have a friend that just bought a used Taurus 92 clone and I wasn't impressed. The gun gave really nice groups at 15yds, but they were all 4" low and about 2" left of POA. Also, in the 200rds we put through the gun on the first outing, he had 3 or 4 malfunctions. Everyone praises the frame mounted safety, but I actually hated it. Yea, it was easier to manipulate, but I didn't like having it set up as a combo safety/decocker. If it was one or the other it would've been better.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
get the real deal. I have a friend that just bought a used Taurus 92 clone and I wasn't impressed. The gun gave really nice groups at 15yds, but they were all 4" low and about 2" left of POA. Also, in the 200rds we put through the gun on the first outing, he had 3 or 4 malfunctions. Everyone praises the frame mounted safety, but I actually hated it. Yea, it was easier to manipulate, but I didn't like having it set up as a combo safety/decocker. If it was one or the other it would've been better.

That's why I like mine.  Safety only.  I have a decocker built into my hand, which works perfectly.  My theory about Taurus is that they make so many different guns, they never get the bugs worked out of any of them.  I honestly don't think there is another company that has a bigger catalog.  I think the run them in batches, so they're constantly tearing down and setting up.  No consistency.   I have MANY thousands of rounds through my old Taurus, and it is perfectly reliable.  I would not trade it for two brand new ones.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the MKEK/Yavuz 16's.  Flawless gun.

Edit: That would make it an ATI import.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get the Beretta...the others are either shit or nearly so...

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#8]
ATI can no longer import their Beretta clones. The ones out there (on shelves now) are all that are left. I do not think ATI can provide any support for them as a result.

I'd just buy the real deal, if I were you
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The Taurus PT92 is built in an old Beretta factory on Beretta machines, so though it is a Taurus by name the quality is generally higher and more consistent than their other pistols.  That being said, unless you just have to have the frame mounted safety I would (and did) just get a Beretta 92/M9 as the quality is going to be even more consistent from pistol to pistol and I also believe that though the initial gun is more expensive, there is larger after-market support so parts and good mags will be cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 for the Beretta

I had a Taurus PT101 in .40S&W.  It was still practically brand new and I'd only put a few hundred rounds through it before it started having FTE's.  I asked my dealer to ship it back to Taurus.  It took them a few weeks but they sent it back to me and had replaced the slide.  The paperwork that came back to my dealer with the Taurus said that the slide was cracked.  I put a box of ammo through it to see if they'd fixed it, and they had.  At that point, I decided to trade it in on something else.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#11]
A couple hundred dollar difference seems like a lot when you are buying a gun but you never regret getting exactly what you really wanted.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]
How bad are the 92G's? The double action only model?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed.  

IMO, a Beretta 92 is one hell of a value at $550.00 or so.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Get the M9, and  do not look back.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Many of the Taurus models were made on older Beretta machinery (supposedly)

I have had zero problems with my early PT92AF.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ATI can no longer import their Beretta clones. The ones out there (on shelves now) are all that are left. I do not think ATI can provide any support for them as a result.

For the $299 they run you could just buy two then
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one 92FS will last longer than both of those wannabes.

CDNN has 92FSs for $500 right now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't have experience with them.

That said, with that, or any clone gun, chances are the original is worth it.

I have a 92FS Brigadier that I love. Never one malfunction in I guess 3000 rounds, and at least as accurate as I am capable of with any pistol.  I shoot that Beretta and I feel like it's cheating...
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I am sorry I didn't realize you had tested them more extensively than the Turkish military has.

Just because YOU have no idea what a product is, that doesn't mean it is crap or that something else will last longer than it (actually last longer than two of it)
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Taurus PT92 is built in an old Beretta factory on Beretta machines,.

They bought that plant in the 1970s. They aren't using Beretta equipment anymore, I'll bet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Taurus PT92 is built in an old Beretta factory on Beretta machines,.

They bought that plant in the 1970s. They aren't using Beretta equipment anymore, I'll bet.

The life expectancy of a modern machine tool in constant use is about ten years.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#22]
The PT92 that I shot was a clunker, for lack of a better term.  Extremely poor machining, rough edges.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Beretta had a military contract with Brazil for 92 with the frame mounted safety.  After the completion of the contract they sold the factory to Taurus.  Later Beretta moved the safety to the slide and moved the magazine release from the bottom of the grip to behind the trigger.  So the Taurus is just an early Beretta design but not a current one.  Handled an ATI compact recently and slide is shorter then a 92 slide.  Both would work I'm sure but most aftermarket parts would be for the Beretta.

CD
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#24]
i have owned 2 Taurus 92.  An older model stainless model that worked flawlessly I put over 5000 rds thru it before selling it and the friend i sold it to has at least 5000 more thru it without any problems still functions great. I also had a newer model black 92 with rail. I bought it used from a friend who hit a rough patch for $250. I put probably 1000 rds thru it then the extractor went out i replaced it and sold it. i also had a model 85 revolver that was junk. you could not fire more than 2 rds thru it double action because it would actually skip rounds. the older ones are great guns but newer ones are hit or miss. ATI are junk as well. If you are set on this look for a gun then get the Beretta but in my opinion for the $$$$ you can do a lot better for over $100 less by getting a Glock or MP.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

How bad are the 92G's? The double action only model?

The 92G is DA/SA. The difference between it and the 92FS is the fact that the safety is a decocker only on the G. The advantage is that it is possible to accidentally put the 92FS on safe when racking the slide. Not so much with the G.

I just bought a 92G from Summit Gun Broker for $395 on Friday- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1303608_.html&page=1&anc=33030409#i33030409

There's plenty of used Berettas floating around in the low $400 range. I see no need to take a chance and buy a knock-off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:34:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  

IMO, a Beretta 92 is one hell of a value at $550.00 or so.

Both quotes above.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I honestly don't think there is another company that has a bigger catalog.

Smith and Wesson with their Semi-Auto "flavor of the month" crap?
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I honestly don't think there is another company that has a bigger catalog.

Smith and Wesson with their Semi-Auto "flavor of the month" crap?

Yeah, them too.  I just don't get it.  It's not even like they're all available when you want to buy one.  Only the one they happen to be building.  Sorry, but if I'm ready to buy something and nobody has it, I'm going to buy something else.  If you want me to buy your stuff, it better be ready when I am.  Stupid business model.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I am sorry I didn't realize you had tested them more extensively than the Turkish military has.

Just because YOU have no idea what a product is, that doesn't mean it is crap or that something else will last longer than it (actually last longer than two of it)

Go buy one then and let me know when you've got 12.5k through it like I have through my personal 92FS... thousands of those rounds without cleaning or lube.  Put your money where you mouth is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I had the Taurus for a while it was a good gun. I would buy the Berreta, the other ones are just copies.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#31]
My first Beretta was a used police 96D (.40cal) Centurion for $300. Never gave me any problems but I later traded it in on a new 9mm 90-two and got every dollar i paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Buy the Beretta, but look for a used 92fs Vertec.

All the goodies for a 92FS, with the grip angle of a 1911.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Buy the Beretta, but look for a used 92fs Vertec.

All the goodies for a 92FS, with the grip angle of a 1911.

I keep seeing this posted on various forums but it seems odd to me.

I've owned quite a few different firearms throughout the years, but my favorite is a 1911 with a flat MSH. When I got my first Beretta (92 Elite), the sights came up perfectly in-line when brought up to eye level just like on any one of my dozen 1911s with flat MSHs. If I put an arched MSH on a 1911, the front sight points high. Grant it, other guns point naturally for me too like a CZ-82, P89, PX4 and even a G19, but the Vertec 92 I handled had the front sight point low. Either somethings amiss or the Vertec and flat MSH on a 1911 is not really the same grip angle.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Not EXACTLY the same, but darn close...

Vertec:

1911a1:

92FS:
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Thanks for the comparison pics. Looking at all 3, it seems the standard 92 and 1911 look much closer then the Vertec though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I'v had my PT92 from Taurus for about 8 years now. Have about 7500-8k rounds thru it. I must be a lucky SOB since it eats good brass, all cheap russian ammo. Have only has 1 problem with mine, and it was at about the 3k mark. Slide release latch broke. Shipped it back to Taurus. Had it back to me within 3 weeks, and they included a fresh new mag as well in the box.

I agree, their other model's have a less than good rating to most here. Even the Taurus boards here get a lot of hate for their model's. But mine has run like a champ. Ive cut up 92fs mag's as well to run in my Tarus, and they work great too. Mag release needs to be opened up a bit is the difference between the two mags. But once you get them right, they work all day.

Have used mine in a couple of weekend courses and never had problems with it. Mainly its a range toy now since getting into 1911's. But when I do take it out, she runs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go buy one then and let me know when you've got 12.5k through it like I have through my personal 92FS... thousands of those rounds without cleaning or lube.  Put your money where you mouth is.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/123353_Beretta_92_clone_question_.html&page=1#i1284844

My money is where my mouth is   Is the data where your mouth is? Where are your actual usage statistics that a Beretta 92 will last longer than a pair of Yavuz 16's on average as you have claimed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top