Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2012 1:25:31 PM EDT
Been looking at purchasing a small CC pistol (not that I'd ever have that opportunity in IL, but still...its the next acquisition).  I like the PPS for its trigger guard mag release (same as my PPQ), and it fits pretty well in hand.  Dryfiring felt like a decent trigger overall.  I've been eyeballing the new M&P Shield online the past couple days upon its release, but no one has the Shield in stock locally.  I know the Shield is new, but anyone have experience with both or better yet able to compare them with pics?  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The PPS seems to be one of the most respected and trusted small handguns on the market today.  

I've had one (9mm) for several years and it eats anything it's fed, is accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Very easy to take down and clean too.

It's a proven sidearm at this point.  Walther really did their homework with this one IMO.

I'd never trade it for a new "flavor of the month" handgun. I like the M&P and own one but they've had some  problems...

Good luck with your search OP.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess the real question is, is the Walther PPS $140 odd dollars better than the Shield?

When you look at it that way, it may be a tougher call.

Or not, I'm torn here as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I guess the real question is, is the Walther PPS $140 odd dollars better than the Shield?

When you look at it that way, it may be a tougher call.

Or not, I'm torn here as well.

magazines for the PPS cost a lot more also.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Walthers have had reported issues especially when they were new.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
There isn't a pistol made, from Bear, to Brown, to Glock, to HK, to an M&P that has not had "issues".

These are machines made by human beings, not gifts from the Gods.  They will break and they will have problems, all of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
It appears that they are rather equivalent when it comes to size and weight.  One obvious differences are the mandatory thumb safety on the Shield, where the PPS is not burdened with one.  S&W should have made the safety optional like they do on the M&P's.  Another obvious difference is the price.  The Wather is going to cost you more.  

My PPS has been flawless.  No malfunctions with a variety of ammo, and it is very accurate.  The trigger is great too.  These are known quantities with the PPS.  The Shield is brand new, so it will take some time to make any meaningful comparisions.  If I had to choose between the two today, I would still spend a bit more and go with the PPS, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
i love the M&Ps too but Walther makes a higher quality and more accurate weapon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I was about to purchase a PPS when the Shield became available.  The Shield is around $100-150 cheaper than the PPS and magazines are less expensive too.

I don't think a person can go wrong with either weapon.  Buy what feels best in your hand and shoot it until you are proficient with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i love the M&Ps too but Walther makes a higher quality and more accurate weapon.

I do not see that as true.  I have a Walther PPS and two M&P's and Walther is owned by S&W the shield if probably built on the PPS platform in a lot of aspects.
Both are top quality and both are accurate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not see that as true.  I have a Walther PPS and two M&P's and Walther is owned by S&W the shield if probably built on the PPS platform in a lot of aspects.

Not true.  S&W is the US importer of Walther but has nothing do at all with owning them, have even heard they may not be the importer for much longer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

True.  There were issues with the PPS chambered in .40 S&W.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.  S&W is the US importer of Walther but has nothing do at all with owning them, have even heard they may not be the importer for much longer.

My mistake .... but quality is no less with S&W vs Walther.  I own both.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem, it's a common mistake especially when you see that big old S&W on the side of Walther's.

I do agree that the build quality is the same or equal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I was able to handle a Shield at the NRA shaow this past weekend and I own and carry a PPS. The PPS has a far superior trigger, worth the extra money in that area alone. I have an M&P and the trigger is terrible. I love my PPS and would not give it up.  If I was buying new tomorrow it would be the PPS no doubt.  The Shield swould serve you well, but if you already have a PPQ, stay with the Walther trigger.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was able to handle a Shield at the NRA shaow this past weekend and I own and carry a PPS. The PPS has a far superior trigger, worth the extra money in that area alone. I have an M&P and the trigger is terrible. I love my PPS and would not give it up.  If I was buying new tomorrow it would be the PPS no doubt.  The Shield swould serve you well, but if you already have a PPQ, stay with the Walther trigger.

I agree you are well served with the PPS.

But for the same price you could buy a Shield and put an Apex kit in it(available soon).
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Weird. A youtuber should the complete opposite. Just goes to show you differences in people's preferences and/or how the same make of gun can have one that has a nice trigger and one that has a not so nice trigger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice comparison.  I'm not sure now he can be that enthused about the trigger.  I had a chance to get my hands on a Shield this afternoon, and the trigger was just ok.  I much prefer the PPS trigger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nice comparison.  I'm not sure now he can be that enthused about the trigger.  I had a chance to get my hands on a Shield this afternoon, and the trigger was just ok.  I much prefer the PPS trigger.

I agree, but throw a Apex sear in there and it becomes very nice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem, it's a common mistake especially when you see that big old S&W on the side of Walther's.

I do agree that the build quality is the same or equal.

I was told that the slides were machined by S&W for Walther here stateside.  I never looked into the validity of that statement, I just know that my PPS has been flawless so far.  It's staying with me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#23]
My PPS has proof marks on the barrel, slide and frame. Meaning all three were made in Germany, by Walther. I've not added the Apex parts to my M&P yet, hopefully it will correct the trigger.  I will give Smith credit, it has sold a ton of M&P's even though the trigger is sub par.  The Shield will be huge seller whether I like the trigger or not.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#24]

He referred to the trigger as "awesome."  Awesome is a 1911 trigger in my mind.  To each their own I guess.  I would gladly take the green framed PPS off of him too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't know how this is relevant to the OP's question, nor do I think it is true.  I have one of the "First Edition" PPS pistols in 9mm and it has been a real joy to carry and shoot.  The little pistol is extremely accurate.  The Shield may be a fine firearm, but the PPS by now has a solid track record and I am sticking with what I believe to be the ultimate carry pistol.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#26]
the PPS has been around a while now and is proven,some issues with first generation pistols cannot be held against it. hell Glock has been having a few issues here and there since they came out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had a PPS 9mm twice. I kept a PM9. Got a Shield last Friday. Bought another on Tuesday. I much prefer it to the PPS and I am still holding on to the PM9.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Welp...I couldn't resist.  I bought the Shield.  After fondling one at the store yesterday, I thought all day and night about it and ran back to put down a deposit on the one they have coming in tomorrow.  Traded in some miscellaneous "garbage" Chinese knives I had lying around for $60 towards the value, and going to be taking it home (damn you 3 day waiting!) Monday for $341 out the door after trade deposit.  PPS lost out due to cost and the ergonomics just imo weren't as good as Shield.  XDs loses out as it's two months late.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top