Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2012 7:00:13 PM EDT

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Just watched your review and have been a fan of your work for a while, please keep up the excellent work. Speaking of work is this your full time gig now or do you still have a real job?

How's the rpd review(s) coming
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy the reviews.

It's a hobby for me, I still have a day job.  I just enjoy making videos, it's therapeutic for me.

I hope to shoot the RPD video next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm about halfway through, and it's a good review as always.

You forgot to mention the knurled backstrap/frontstrap on the M9A1 vs serrated on the M9!

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah man, your reviews are great. Great stuff.

Do you buy all those pistols or do the companies send them to you to review?
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the review! Informative and interesting without being 35 minutes full of "philosophy of use" discussions.

Have you handled the 92A1? Would you recommend one over the other for HD /range use?
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 4:03:40 AM EDT
[#6]
What gloves are you wearing?
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Great job as usual.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah man, your reviews are great. Great stuff.

Do you buy all those pistols or do the companies send them to you to review?

I buy them.  I only review firearms I have a personal interest in.  At any given time I have 1 or 2 handguns on layaway at my local shop.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm about halfway through, and it's a good review as always.

You forgot to mention the knurled backstrap/frontstrap on the M9A1 vs serrated on the M9!

Thanks, I did forget to mention that.  There's always something I miss it seems.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
The M9A1 is still pretty rare in the FMF.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thank you for the review! Informative and interesting without being 35 minutes full of "philosophy of use" discussions.

Have you handled the 92A1? Would you recommend one over the other for HD /range use?

I don't I won't sit through a 40 minute review, so I try to keep my videos to a length I would watch and talk about things that I would want to hear.

I have handled the 92A1 and thought long and hard about buying it over the M9A1.  I ultimately went with the M9A1 for its military pedigree.  However, I do believe the dovetailed front sight is useful for a self defense and range gun if you would like to swap the sights out for something better than the OEM sights.  Otherwise they're nearly identical.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The M9A1 is still pretty rare in the FMF.

I know, it's strange.  They didn't order enough of them to spread them around.  I've never been able to get the story on that.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#13]
MARADMIN  378/07  got rid of most pistols on TO/Es

"THE NEW ASSIGNMENT POLICY ASSIGNS THE CARBINE TO MARINE LT THROUGH, LTCOL, WO/CWO, SNCOS, NAVY E5 AND BELOW, AND LIMITED EQUIPMENT, VEHICLE OPERATORS.'

prior to that M9s was their TO/E weapons (the new term for TO/E is UTR), now its a carbine; so the number of guns in the inventory required went down significantly.  A case point a firing battery went from having 30 pistols to 10.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the review.

I've always kept my distance from the Berettas because I am not really a fan of the open top design and I think that there are much better pistols that the military should have chosen over the Beretta.  That said I am now thinking of getting one as it does appeal to the collector side of me.

After all this time I just hit the subscribe button as well, for the reasons you mention about your videos.

The only longish video reviews I watch are Hickock45's, and it's because his are casual, it's like you are just hanging out in his back yard having fun with guns, and he is very good at presenting info, as are you.

It would be fun to see you two do a review together.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for sharing an in-depth, thorough review FAC.   Well done.      

I've been a fan of the 92FS  since I bought my first one in 1989.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice review.  One upside to the open top slide is possibly fewer stovepipes, as well as lighter slide weight; a downside is lower strength, which in addition to the reliefs for the barrel lock, bit them in the rear when the 1st M9s were issued and a few slides broke.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#17]
As far as guns that are ambidextrious go, the Beretta is one of the better ones.

Left handers, like myself, use our left index fingers to manipulate everything on the left side of the gun.
That includes the slide release and mag release.

Also note the mag release is reversible on the 92/M9. Very simple to do too.
Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiU4I-4L0p8

Slide releases on the Sig P series guns are too far back on the frame for a lefty to manipulate.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#18]
The M9A1, and 92A1 are, in my opine, off spins of the short lived Vertec.
The Vertec is essentially that handgun, with a flush fitting barrel, and straighter grip.  The Vertec, like the 92A1, offers the user the opportunity to replace the front sight.  It employs the polymer trigger, and safety switch, and I believe that Beretta had offered a short trigger retro-fit, for women and others with smaller hands.  Other than that, it is EXACTLY the same as the m9/92 A1 series.

I've owned a Vertec since they were intro'd, and have ZERO issues in it's life with me.  Thousands of rounds!

Awesome video fella, very informative review.

Here's a web pic of the Vertec, notice the grip angle of the Vertec is close to, but not the same as a 1911.
Still uses the 92/M9 series mags tho.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thanks for the review.

I've always kept my distance from the Berettas because I am not really a fan of the open top design and I think that there are much better pistols that the military should have chosen over the Beretta.  That said I am now thinking of getting one as it does appeal to the collector side of me.

After all this time I just hit the subscribe button as well, for the reasons you mention about your videos.

The only longish video reviews I watch are Hickock45's, and it's because his are casual, it's like you are just hanging out in his back yard having fun with guns, and he is very good at presenting info, as are you.

It would be fun to see you two do a review together.

I'm friends with Hickok45, he's one of the best YouTube personalities.  He's just like the guy you see on the channel in real life. By that I mean his personality you see in his videos is real - he's a very genuine guy.

We did make a goofy video together at the NRA show a few weeks ago.  We might do something collaborative down the road sometime.  We'll see.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]
unfortunately, Beretta no longer makes the better variants of the basic 92 platform.

the 92G, 92G Compact, 92G Vertec, Elite II, and 92G-SD were all  better than the standard M9/92FS.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

"THE NEW ASSIGNMENT POLICY ASSIGNS THE CARBINE TO MARINE LT THROUGH, LTCOL, WO/CWO, SNCOS, NAVY E5 AND BELOW, AND LIMITED EQUIPMENT, VEHICLE OPERATORS.'

prior to that M9s was their TO/E weapons (the new term for TO/E is UTR), now its a carbine; so the number of guns in the inventory required went down significantly.  A case point a firing battery went from having 30 pistols to 10.

My nephew is a FMF Corpsman assigned to a Jump Platoon out of Okinawa currently serving somewhere unmentionable ATM. He is issued both a M4 and a M9 for his combat load.

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 3:21:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My nephew is a FMF Corpsman assigned to a Jump Platoon out of Okinawa currently serving somewhere unmentionable ATM. He is issued both a M4 and a M9 for his combat load.

Dual Arming is a command decision; it is up to the commander to allocate his M9s as he sees fit.  You never actually see it on TO/Es to include MARSOC and Recon battalions
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to have this gun and wish I still did.  I do have the 92A1 which is a very nice piece, however.

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm friends with Hickok45, he's one of the best YouTube personalities.  He's just like the guy you see on the channel in real life. By that I mean his personality you see in his videos is real - he's a very genuine guy.

We did make a goofy video together at the NRA show a few weeks ago.  We might do something collaborative down the road sometime.  We'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2IrgXPzr0E

That's great!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, the slide markings (Mod 92FS) are the same on both civilian and military M9A1s.

Mine -

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Very nice shot of your M9A1.

Here is my Vertec 92FS.  A keeper, never to be sold.

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#28]
M9A1s are nice guns!

I got night sights installed in 1 of mine last year...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top