Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2012 11:09:38 AM EDT
So, like the title says, I'm looking for opinions on small .380 Auto pistols for the ole' lady to carry. I own a S&W Bodyguard 380 (w/ laser) and love it. Great gun, 400+ rounds and not a single problem. However, I think the trigger may be a little heavy for her comfort. Not sure if there is anything better out there. I bought my Bodyguard over the Ruger LCP based on reviews. I also looked at the Taurus TCP but too many negative problems reported. Any other suggestions? Wan't to try to stay under $400 and have something she can be confident in.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not let her shoot a bunch and figure it out? It's condescending to think she won't be able to find one she likes.

I like my S&W 380 bodyguard, but I pulled the batteries for the laser.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
In your price range I know of nothing with a better trigger.  

The P238 has a better trigger but a more complex manual of arms.

Perhaps a used Walther PPK variant would be a good choice but it's a blowback design and larger.

All carry guns are an exercise in compromise...
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In your price range I know of nothing with a better trigger.  

The P238 has a better trigger but a more complex manual of arms.

Perhaps a used Walther PPK variant would be a good choice but it's a blowback design and larger.

All carry guns are an exercise in compromise...

I own a P238 and have found it to be one of the softest shooting "pocket sized" .380s.  I've shot the LCP, P3AT, Taurus, and the S&W Bodyguard.  The Sig is by far the softest shooting one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I dunno. You're probably right that a heavily recoiling, tiny, difficult to shoot pistol is best. Last thing you'd want is for her to try lots of different guns in different calibers and decide for herself. Everyone knows that wimmin folk lack the sense to make any important decisions on their own.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I dunno. You're probably right that a heavily recoiling, tiny, difficult to shoot pistol is best. Last thing you'd want is for her to try lots of different guns in different calibers and decide for herself. Everyone knows that wimmin folk lack the sense to make any important decisions on their own.

I gotta say, the recoil on my 380 gets to me after a couple of mags.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotta say, the recoil on my 380 gets to me after a couple of mags.

I bet, I can shoot the P238 all day long, mag after mag.  All of the other .380s I've shot tend to get a little tiresome after about 20 rounds or so.  If I recall correctly, the P3AT was the least comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the above poster, let your wife should an assortment of pistols.  Find something that fits her hand and that she can handle, reload and shoot well.

BTW,  I'd forget about .380 and move up to 9mm –– a real military caliber that's easier to shoot than the snappy, weak  .380.

Good resource on Best Defense Ammo here:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Check out a Walther PPS, HK P2000 SK,  S&W M&P C, S&W Shield, et al.  

You may have to save a bit more money but the reliability, quality and accuracy are absolutely worth it IMO.  

Good luck, let us know what you buy.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the input guys. Money isn't an issue, she just wanted to stay on a budget of around $400. I think we are going to take a look at the Sig. If I could talk her into any price range, a Colt Mustang would have already been purchased. However, the P238 seems pretty comparable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
When my wife carried a .380, the Bersa Thunder was the ticket. Solid pistols with great control and lower recoil. She hated the firecracker .380's, like the Keltec, LCP, etc. The Bersa is a bit larger though, and my wife stepped up to an LC9 at about the same size.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Sig 238 or Kahr p380.  I chose the Kahr and couldn't be happier.  Great trigger, lightweight and compact, very comfortable to shoot, and zero malfunctions.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I posted a thread about a few of the smaller carry guns. There may be some more info for you here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/129150_.html&page=1

Couple of photo size comparisons are on there too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 3:02:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Sig P238

My GF is very small (5'4" @ 110lbs) and the only thing she can conceal on her person is a .380 without dressing around a gun

So this limits her to a .380 "pocket auto" for IWB carry, and after trying the LCP, BG380, and P238 the Sig wins hands down

The P238 gives the performance of a full size auto in a palm size package with the same Siglite NS as the P229/226 series, G10 grips, and a great SAO trigger

No other pocket .380 gives the same performance out of the box... period

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the input guys. Money isn't an issue, she just wanted to stay on a budget of around $400. I think we are going to take a look at the Sig. If I could talk her into any price range, a Colt Mustang would have already been purchased. However, the P238 seems pretty comparable.

The P238 is superior to the New Mustang anyway... Better grip selection, better finish, better tooling, better magazines, and MUCH better sites

The only thing the Colt brings to the table is a slightly better trigger and a pretty little pony on the side...

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When my wife carried a .380, the Bersa Thunder was the ticket. Solid pistols with great control and lower recoil. She hated the firecracker .380's, like the Keltec, LCP, etc. The Bersa is a bit larger though, and my wife stepped up to an LC9 at about the same size.

Mine too, bought her a 9mm she kinda likes now, but she still carries the Bersa daily, great little pistol I gotta say, I like it too, less than 300 bucks and 5 minutes of polishing the feed ramp and it's a little dynamo.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:02:49 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife loves her Bersa Thunder. We have never had any issues with it and brand new is just slightly over $300.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My wife loves her Bersa Thunder. We have never had any issues with it and brand new is just slightly over $300.

This is probably the best suggestion here so far.

"Friends don't let friends buy Tauruses." - SGB

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#18]
IMO before you consider getting her into a SAO gun, make sure she is comfortable and trained in it's battery of arms
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IMO before you consider getting her into a SAO gun, make sure she is comfortable and trained in it's battery of arms

She has been carrying an old Raven MP-25. A lot of people had problems with them, but this little thing has never failed or had issues. I just want something with more power and reliability. She has also shot plenty of 1911's and the Beretta M9.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Alright as long as sweeping off a safety while drawing is second nature, this is a non-issue then.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why not let her shoot a bunch and figure it out? It's condescending to think she won't be able to find one she likes.

\.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

\.

I have to agree.

But, I can easily recommend she try a full sized .380... like the bersa mentioned, or Sig's full sized model ( not the mini 1911 style ), and the Beretta .380's.

I have the Beretta 85BB .380.  That's the single stack model and the grip is as thick as my M&P 9c.

The M&P 9c and the Beretta 85BB .380 shoot equally soft...  Just throwing that out there because 13rds of 9mm is more betta than a few .380's.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I would suggest trying a Bersa .380 CC (Conceal Carry). Small, easy to control, low recoil and is specifically designed with low profile sights, and trigger to keep from being caught on anything when you need to pull it out.  Well made and is both DA/SA trigger action.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#24]
My wife has almost entirely given up on all other calibers other than the 9mm. She has a M&P9FS for her bedside gun, and is trying to make up her mind between an M&P9c or M&P9Shield for a carry gun. She is also considering just carrying her FS and looking at quality holsters and finding the right carry position and manner of dressing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#25]
She would be better off with a 9x19 that she can conceal and likes.

Less recoil in a more powerful cartridge, mainly due to the blowback operation of many "pocket" 380s.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Less recoil in a more powerful cartridge, mainly due to the blowback operation of many "pocket" 380s.

That's the problem, some smaller women cannot conceal anything bigger than a .380

My GF could not even conceal a S&W Shield IWB if she had too, without completely dressing around the gun

The P238 I got her is just right with a Desantis Nemesis IWB at 3:00

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't know if anyone said to get a trigger job done on your bodyguard .380, and sorry if they did. I am fixing up my colt mustang for my wife too btw.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the problem, some smaller women cannot conceal anything bigger than a .380

My GF could not even conceal a S&W Shield IWB if she had too, without completely dressing around the gun

I agree, and why do people think a .380 is weak with todays ammo they penetrate 10 plus inches with good expansion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, and why do people think a .380 is weak with todays ammo they penetrate 10 plus inches with good expansion.

I'm not an expert on the topic, but the issue with .380 is that in order to achieve maximum penetration AND maximum internal ballistic damage, the round has to be designed to both hold together long enough to travel through tissue to a depth of 12" or more while travelling at a relatively low velocity as well as expand reliably at that low velocity. It doesn't necessarily have physics on its side. Manufacturers can get around this issue by loading hotter/faster rounds, but that in turn increases the recoil beyond what would be considered comfortable and controllable.

I would be willing to bet that just about anybody on earth could conceal an M&P Shield AIWB with just a bare minimum of attention paid to how they dress, particularly, a slightly looser shirt in the belt-line area. I'm not talking moomoo, I'm talking moderately loose bottom on a polo shirt, or even a standard fit T-shirt. Women's clothing styles tend to be moving more toward snug chest, flowy bottom tops anyway, as long as they aren't showing their stomach or in a bathing suit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#30]
If you can conceal mustang you can conceal a pm9

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But can she shot a pm9, cause the mustang i have is the heavy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not an expert on the topic, but the issue with .380 is that in order to achieve maximum penetration AND maximum internal ballistic damage, the round has to be designed to both hold together long enough to travel through tissue to a depth of 12" or more while travelling at a relatively low velocity as well as expand reliably at that low velocity. It doesn't necessarily have physics on its side. Manufacturers can get around this issue by loading hotter/faster rounds, but that in turn increases the recoil beyond what would be considered comfortable and controllable.

I would be willing to bet that just about anybody on earth could conceal an M&P Shield AIWB with just a bare minimum of attention paid to how they dress, particularly, a slightly looser shirt in the belt-line area. I'm not talking moomoo, I'm talking moderately loose bottom on a polo shirt, or even a standard fit T-shirt. Women's clothing styles tend to be moving more toward snug chest, flowy bottom tops anyway, as long as they aren't showing their stomach or in a bathing suit.

yea i understand what your saying about the .380, but i think you got it wrong about womens clothing at least where i am from. its tight shirts, tight jackets, tight jeans, and tight asses in them jeans. lol
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That may be true, but I would take a mustang over a PM9 any day of the week

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#34]
if you dont need a pocket gun, i would say try a cz-53 (i think its 53) theyre solidly made and double stack mags.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Beretta 84?
I wish I had bought the 85.
I will be gifting the 84 to our daughter soon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Hands down the P230/232 is one of the best 380's ever made. Buffalo Bore Gold Dots perform better than 38 special Hydrashoks, so don't let the " you don't have a gun if the caliber don't begin with a 4 " crowd get to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top