Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2013 6:06:47 AM EDT
Looking to buy 10mm pistol .
Looking for reliable pistol that will not crack, kaboom or jam.

Glock 20 went KABOOM in my friend's hand.
Witness - frames crack
Colt delta - jam

I just want a perfect hi-cap 10mm for under $3000  

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Witness - frames crack
Colt delta - jam

There's a 99.9% chance Gen3/4 Glock 20 won't kaboom with any non-handloaded round.  The chamber support is much better in the newer guns than when they came out.  They're the most reliable/durable 10mm currently on the market in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Witness - frames crack
Colt delta - jam

There's a 99.9% chance Gen3/4 Glock 20 won't kaboom with any non-handloaded round.  The chamber support is much better in the newer guns than when they came out.  They're the most reliable/durable 10mm currently on the market in my experience.

So it's .01% chance (I found this photo through a Google search)
http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/c571673a27ed53fdaea90b1a41b5e9f120ae8dac.pjpg
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Witness - frames crack
Colt delta - jam

So it's .01% chance
http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/c571673a27ed53fdaea90b1a41b5e9f120ae8dac.pjpg

Was that your injury?  Damn.  

Glad I still have my 1006!
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Reloads?????   Was the kboom from reloads?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have never had a problem with my 10mm full size Glock.

When I first got it I did a "controlled experiment" by loading the magazine with .40 S&W and later .357 SIG. (I used to be a range officer and armorer... my avatar is me at the range I ran) The purpose was to see what would happen if the wrong ammo was loaded accidentally. This could have been done since all three of those calibers were carried by the group I trained. It was definitely a DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME experiment!!

I have also acquired barrels chambered in .40 S&W and .357 SIG to be able to fire those rounds with a correct chamber.

If you are wondering... the .40 S&W chambered, fired, ejected, and held an acceptable group from the 10MM barrel. The .357 SIG was a different story... it fired as did the .40 S&W with both "headspacing" by the extractor. The .357 SIG fireformed and did not even cause the slide to move rearward a fraction.

Again... DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

ALSO... I am aware of a number of FBI issue S&W 1076 pistols working flawlessly with one exception. The early 1076 made for the FBI had a design problem where it was possible to have the trigger lock-up. The triggers were replaced with one of a different finish so it was easily recognized as the "upgrade".

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Witness - frames crack
Colt delta - jam

So it's .01% chance

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Reloads ???

If factory there needs to be another discussion other than, which pistol ??

dc.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My Glock 29 has been 100% reliable. That hand had to have been involved in more than a simple unsupported case failure. Nasty!
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock 20
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Witness - frames crack
Colt delta - jam

My Colt (completely stock/factory) runs perfect, on everything from cheap range ammo, up to the Buffalo Bore.  I bought it to avoid the Witness frame cracking and the Glockabooms and have not been disappointed so far.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm perfectly happy with my Delta Elite...I bought it new in 1988, it has eaten everything I've fed it, and never failed me....it is with me every day and night, its spent more time with me than my wife of twenty-five years.....    
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Any gun can blow up, chance you take.  Glock 20 is still the most durable/reliable 10mm on the market.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Glock 29 has been 100% reliable. That hand had to have been involved in more than a simple unsupported case failure. Nasty!

I also have shot a G29 for years.  Factory and reloads, no problems what so ever.  Nasty looking hand.  Makes me want to wear leather gloves when I shoot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm perfectly happy with my Delta Elite...I bought it new in 1988, it has eaten everything I've fed it, and never failed me....it is with me every day and night, its spent more time with me than my wife of twenty-five years.....    

I've also had a Delta Elite stainless for the past 10 years, no problems what so ever.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
You need to look for a good condition S&W 1006.  Those things are built to take the pressure of the 10mm and are based on the same from dimensions as their 4506 model.

DAMN nice gun!  Price is in line with the others, maybe just a little higher.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck finding a perfect pistol at any price. Glocks and 1911's are best for the 10mm, in my experience. Get an aftermarket barrel for the Glock if the chamber makes you nervous.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Though considered heavy and "outdated" the Smith 3rd gens that were chambered 10mm seem to be a favorite among their owners.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow I had a case head go firing my 1076 (hot reload) and all it cost me was a mag and some pride.

I don't hot rod that particular gun anymore.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Witness - frames crack
Colt delta - jam

So it's .01% chance

Kaboom or ND?

http://fbmg.yuku.com/topic/451

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#18]
The plot thickens........
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Witness - frames crack
Colt delta - jam

So it's .01% chance

Yeah, that guy shot himself in the hand when he forgot to clear the chamber and was going to strip his gun, no kaboom that I know of has caused that kind of damage.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd say there's a potential liability for whoever loaded fatal cartridge. Last guy in this forum with a catastrophic failure made claim and collected from ammunition maker.

If a reload, well you get where I'm going. Hope your a true friend and paying ER bill.

dc.

eta: seems we were deceived.

http://fbmg.yuku.com/topic/451

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the replays , please keep them coming .

I know Golck is very dangerous in this caliber , how about Barstow barrels for glocks, do they have fully supported chamber ?

How about SPHINX3000 in 10mm , does they make it ?

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I know Golck is very dangerous in this caliber , how about Barstow barrels for glocks, do they have fully supported chamber ?

I don't think you know what you think you know.
What gen was your friend's G20 that blew, and what ammo was he using?
I have my guesses.

I carry a G29 almost every day.  I don't shoot reloads or lead bullets in the stock barrel.  I've also got a Firedragon extended/ported barrel for if I want to shoot odd/hot loads.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Glocks are not "very dangerous" in any factory chambering. I see you edited in photo origin. No one appreciates misinformation, just saying.

If you want a double stack 2011 type design try STI, SVI or have a custom builder, build up a 2011 kit.

Gen 3 & 4 Glock barrels have adequate chamber support. Dropping in a Barsto barrel without being adequately fit and headspaced with intended ammunition by a professional ain't a good idea. Barsto reams to minimum chamber spec

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you want a double stack 2011 type design try STI, SVI or have a custom builder, build up a 2011 kit.

There's Fusion as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Glocks are no more dangerous in 10mm than any other caliber.  As mentioned, the pic you posted is a gun shot wound, not a KB.  Why would the damage be confined to the blade of the hand on a KB?  The web is closer to the explosion and where injury would be more likely to occur.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You need to look for a good condition S&W 1006.  Those things are built to take the pressure of the 10mm and are based on the same from dimensions as their 4506 model.

DAMN nice gun!  Price is in line with the others, maybe just a little higher.

+1

Link Posted: 3/5/2013 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Sphinx DOES make a 10mm, and it is a sessy sumbitch:

Now ask me if you can buy one in the US.

Personally, I think the "cracked slides" of the Witness 10mm is a bit overrated. If you get:

A: a "match" slide (not the scalloped wonderfinish slide)

B: Heavier recoil and hammer spring

C: One of the nice Hennings guide rods

You'll probably be OK with 10mm "Norma" loads.

However, I, like others in this thread, agree: If you want a 10mm and you don't mind an ugly gun then the correct answer is either:

A: Glock 20SF

or

B: S&W 10x6. I saw a 1026 for 550 the other day at the funshow and I am still kicking myself for not buying it. Kind of a grail gun for me but I didn't have the cash at the time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sphinx DOES make a 10mm, and it is a sessy sumbitch:

Now ask me if you can buy one in the US.

Personally, I think the "cracked slides" of the Witness 10mm is a bit overrated. If you get:
A: a "match" slide (not the scalloped wonderfinish slide)
B: Heavier recoil and hammer spring
C: One of the nice Hennings guide rods

You'll probably be OK with 10mm "Norma" loads.

However, I, like others in this thread, agree: If you want a 10mm and you don't mind an ugly gun then the correct answer is either:
A: Glock 20SF
or
B: S&W 10x6. I saw a 1026 for 550 the other day at the funshow and I am still kicking myself for not buying it. Kind of a grail gun for me but I didn't have the cash at the time.

I would love to buy Sphinx 3000 hi-cap in 10mm, .40 and .45

2 of each
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Few 10mm's are more reliable than a GLOCK shooting factory ammo.

1911 is a good design, if it's been tuned a bit.

The old S&W 3rd generation pistols are build like tanks and are super reliable.  1006, 1086, 1076, etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I know a guy who repeats a tale about how the rounds in a Delta Elite "bend" as they are being fed into the chamber, citing a slow-motion video of this event. I've never seen the video nor have I heard about this from anyone else except for his buddies. Has anyone here heard of such an event with a 10mm 1911? It sounds like 100% bullshit to me, but this guy is adamant that it happens due to the length of the cartridge or something like that.

I'd LOVE to have a Delta, as they are much better-looking than the G20, and since the Vltor Fortis is to remain an unfinished prototype.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't know about bending, brass is soft enough to flex. Full chamber support and 1911 control feed conflict sometimes. Reads as if case wall is flexing at chamber throat. Heavy recoil springs tend be used to force feed a cartridge.

dc.

Quoted:
I know a guy who repeats a tale about how the rounds in a Delta Elite "bend" as they are being fed into the chamber, citing a slow-motion video of this event. I've never seen the video nor have I heard about this from anyone else except for his buddies. Has anyone here heard of such an event with a 10mm 1911? It sounds like 100% bullshit to me, but this guy is adamant that it happens due to the length of the cartridge or something like that.

I'd LOVE to have a Delta, as they are much better-looking than the G20, and since the Vltor Fortis is to remain an unfinished prototype.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top