Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2013 6:46:38 PM EDT
I've been wanting a Walther PPS in 9mm for quite some time now... went down to the gun store and the salesman showed me the Springfield XDS 9mm. I've never owned anything Springfield before, but it felt so similar to the PPS! So far it's more of a toss up where I'm leaning towards the Walther due to the magazine release and the more proven track record. Thoughts? Recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I own 2 PPSs (one is wife's ) and they have been 100% after over 500 rounds of ball and 100+ of hollow points.

The guns have run flawlessly. The mag catch isn't my favorite but it is far less likely to getting accidentally bumped than a traditional US style.

I figure I'm not running through multiple mags in a defensive situation so the gun + 1 spare mag should be fine.

Accurate and reliable... Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#2]
PPS fan all the way. Reliable and accurate.
Carry mine in Mitch Rosen UPL-EXP.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't like grip safeties.
The trigger on the PPS is a bit stiff. And they seem to have occasional issues (see some of the newish PPS threads in the Walther subforum).
We went with the Walther P99c AS.

Compact, but wider than the PPS.
Much nicer trigger.
Takes full size magazines if you want.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Any type of firearm will have some samples that have occasional issues.  I've not heard any widespread issues with the PPS.  There are Navy Seals using them for goodness sake.

I love mine and would highly recommend one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my 9mm PPS. Bought it 4 yrs. ago and have put about 1800 rds of assorted fmj/jhp ammo through it with zero problems.

It's a  fine pistol.  I think you'll be very pleased with one.

Keep us updated on your decision.

Eta.

To be so small,  the PPS is very easy to shoot well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I own an XDS 9mm and .45.  Love them both.  I don't have any experience with the PPS, so I can't comment there.  But the XDS line is great.  I don't think you would be disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Can anything be done to lighten up the PPS trigger?  Was the only factor in me deciding not to purchase it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had a PPS "First Edition" for years.  Highly reliable and surprisingly accurate for that size gun, beautifully concealable.  You'll be happy you bought it and the trigger will become a non-issue.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#9]
XDS 9mm is in my opinion a near perfect combination of small size and a good weight. Shoots like a champ. Safer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
XDS 9mm is in my opinion a near perfect combination of small size and a good weight. Shoots like a champ. Safer.

Safer how? Safer due to a grip safety? A grip safety that if you fail to engage during a real-life fight won't allow the gun to fire making you decidedly less safer?
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 4:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Walther PPS is on my hip everyday. Hundreds of rounds through it and no problems.

Keep it loaded with Ranger-T ammo and go about my day as usual.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I own 2 PPSs (one is wife's ) and they have been 100% after over 500 rounds of ball and 100+ of hollow points.

The guns have run flawlessly. The mag catch isn't my favorite but it is far less likely to getting accidentally bumped than a traditional US style.

I figure I'm not running through multiple mags in a defensive situation so the gun + 1 spare mag should be fine.

Accurate and reliable... Buy with confidence.

I own one, and his comments are my thoughts on the gun.

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#13]
PPS owner here. Love mine . Not a fan of the mg release (different than other pistols) or the price of mags. I is really a accurate pistol to shoot though and great to carry.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safer how? Safer due to a grip safety? A grip safety that if you fail to engage during a real-life fight won't allow the gun to fire making you decidedly less safer?

Try to fire the gun without  depressing the grip safety. Thats why 1911's suck right and people EVER have issues with not being able to fire them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try to fire the gun without  depressing the grip safety. Thats why 1911's suck right and people EVER have issues with not being able to fire them.

The grip safety on the Springfield is not the same as the grip safety on the 1911.  Not a real good comparison.

If its safer we're after, then why not carry with a trigger lock.  Just because it is "safer," doesn't always make it smarter.

If they got rid of the grip safety, I think a lot more folks would be willing to give the Springfield's a try.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The grip safety on the Springfield is not the same as the grip safety on the 1911.  Not a real good comparison.
<snip>
If they got rid of the grip safety, I think a lot more folks would be willing to give the Springfield's a try.

The grip is the same as far as, if you can't push it in properly because your hand is damaged, the gun won't fire.

I was doing some reading, and they can't get rid of the grip safety without changing the firing mechanism. The grip safety is basically integral to the drop/mechanical safety of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#17]
It probably get them a bunch of import points as well.

Remember, it's not made here.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It probably get them a bunch of import points as well.

Remember, it's not made here.

And yet is costs $150-200 more than a Shield which is made here
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

The grip is the same as far as, if you can't push it in properly because your hand is damaged, the gun won't fire.

I was doing some reading, and they can't get rid of the grip safety without changing the firing mechanism. The grip safety is basically integral to the drop/mechanical safety of the gun.

How is it even possible for you to hold the gun without holding the backstrap.

I dont understand. How could your hand be so damaged as to not have the ability to grip the firearm at all while still being able to pull the trigger?
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 4:58:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

How is it even possible for you to hold the gun without holding the backstrap.

I dont understand. How could your hand be so damaged as to not have the ability to grip the firearm at all while still being able to pull the trigger?

Check the GD discussion with the member who was in a shootout. It happened to him in real life (1911).

For me, I have very high grip with very large hands, so on an XD or 1911, I end up pushing up rather than in, failing to deactivate the safety.

ETA: BTW, I don't really expect to change your mind. This is just one of those things, like the Smith & Wesson keylock or adjustable sights on a defensive gun that people either have accept or don't. I'm just giving the reasons why I chose the way I did.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the input guys! Ended up going with the Walther PPS!!

Told myself not to be stupid... I've been wanting this gun for 2 years or so now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top