Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2014 9:30:25 PM EDT
I've been a big fan of the Tokarev Round (7.62x25mm) for the last five years.  I bought a nice 1953 Polish one that was impressive but I was a horrible shot.  User error in this case.  

Well, I decided a while back to get one of the new production Zastava M57 Tokarevs with the longer grip (9 rounds in a magazine, not 8).  Well, I managed to figure out how to shoot her so I decided to invest in some upgrades.

After 5 1/2 months, here she is, with the magazine disconnect removed, a trigger job and tritium night sights added.

And the results of this weekends shooting :D

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Ahh, the rubber grip is killin' me!!!

That being said...if it shoots good....that's what's important!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]
That's such a hot round.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
You are jerking that trigger, yo.

Nice heater.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Is Trijicon making sights for the Tokarev or are they custom modified?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all of the questions.  Let me get to all of them.

As for the night sights, I think they had to custom mill the slide.  The gun was sent to Tooltech Gunsight, Inc in Oxford, Michigan for the installation.  Magnum Precision (Shooters World) did the gunsmith work.

I don't know exactly what they did on the trigger and the magazine disconnect, but it's a nice crisp trigger.  I just need to get better.

I actually bought this box at Harbor Freight and I want to get a holster, magazine pouches, maybe a cleaning kit, basically make a full load out case for it.  It will make for a fun project either way.  

Yeah, the grip sleeve isn't the greatest fit.  The back at the top doesn't actually stay flat against the gun, but it does increase the purchase.

Thanks for the heads up on the finger jerking.  I'm not a great shot to begin with and I do need to get better with the gun.

I was shooting at about 15 feet at an indoor range (C2 Tactical - side rant, I know some people are stupid and bring photos of their Exs to the range in order to shoot them, but banning all outside targets is just annoying.  No steel case ammo is a joke as well.  I rant about the policies there but I will say this, the sales people and Range Officers have all been very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.  I just don't like the policies.  I was just late in getting to the range on Saturday and couldn't get to the outdoor range at Rio Salado).

I did have some better shooting with the other guns I brought.  This is my white whale.  $700, and it's in rough condition but I just love the elegant lines.

This is my slightly upgraded GSG 1911 that has some replacement parts.  I added the new rosewood U.S. Grips for Christmas and I love the look.  The gun drove me nuts with failures to fire (had to pull the trigger back 2-3 times before I got ignition).  I also had live rounds jumping through the chamber when extracting the spent casing.  What I mean, is that as the spent casing was removed, one round would pop out of the chamber from the magazine and fly in the air, either getting caught by the slide as it returned to battery or drop free.  I think that the +4 followers I have that allow more rounds in the magazine without changing the springs is an issue.

I had a great day shooting my Rock Island 1911.  Only upgrades are the night sights and VZ G-10 Grips & Skateboard tape on the front.  I was very pleased with how well I shot.  I know, only 15 feet, but I'm happy :D

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I registered recently, and I figured my first post should be in a topic that somewhat connects with my country.

Nice purchase. Hope it serves you well.
Since I am from Serbia, and ex MP, I can tell you a lot about that gun, and others. :)
So if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Here, the price is around 250$ for a new one.
It is, lets say, iconic in Serbia in two ways.
Firstly, like anywhere in the world, as a comunist icon, and secondly, as an underground legend.

I personaly never liked to shoot with it, because I have big hands, and the grip is realy slim on it.
However, my friend got the full size rubber grip, similar to yours, and then it is another story.
Something like this.

It loses some "old flare", but it is way easier to control.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Zastava M57 and would like to know the number of the Trijicon iron sights that were installed on your Zastava M57.
Could you please let me know?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The most I can tell you from the documentation I received is some vague comments on the work tab.

"Front TT-DFW" and "Rear TT DRW(2)"

I believe they just put in the Tritium inserts.  Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

-Tim
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for adding to the discussion manda.

Are those aftermarket grips?  Any idea where I might be able to purchase those online?

-Tim
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#10]
These are aftermarket.
I think that Zastava used to put some on their Lux versions, not these I think.
As far as I know, there aren't any on Ebay or Amazon.

There are some here in Serbia, but this is local online shop, they are around 20 bucks.
https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/COMBAT-gumene-korice-NOVO-18238741-oglas.htm?filter_id=20530182
https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/gumene-korice-za-pistolje-tt-i-m88-18352202-oglas.htm?filter_id=38414

I think the first one goes over the stock ones, and second one is a two piece.
I can call them and ask about details.
I can also call Zastava arms and check with them.
If you can't find them elsewhere, I can check the shipping rates to USA.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These are aftermarket.
I think that Zastava used to put some on their Lux versions, not these I think.
As far as I know, there aren't any on Ebay or Amazon.

There are some here in Serbia, but this is local online shop, they are around 20 bucks.
https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/COMBAT-gumene-korice-NOVO-18238741-oglas.htm?filter_id=20530182
https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/gumene-korice-za-pistolje-tt-i-m88-18352202-oglas.htm?filter_id=38414

I think the first one goes over the stock ones, and second one is a two piece.
I can call them and ask about details.
I can also call Zastava arms and check with them.
If you can't find them elsewhere, I can check the shipping rates to USA.
View Quote

How are your gun laws over there? Civilians can own guns?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, we can own guns, and we do.
The gun law is not great atm, we should be getting a new one this year.

Before the wars in the 90's we could also cary guns, but due to the war, it was very hard for police to control everything, so they banned it.

Statistically, Serbia is in top 5 countries in the world when it come to gun/population ratio.

For example, handgun from this thread, the M57 was given away to almost every army and police officer and NCOs after they finished their career.
Now you can get, unused M57 for as little as 50 bucks, because of the WORST part of the law.
Gun tax ,payed yearly. It is round 35 bucks, but if you know that average salary is 500$/month, people are selling them very cheap, or giving them to police.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#13]
That grip

Nice pistol otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, we can own guns, and we do.
The gun law is not great atm, we should be getting a new one this year.

Before the wars in the 90's we could also cary guns, but due to the war, it was very hard for police to control everything, so they banned it.

Statistically, Serbia is in top 5 countries in the world when it come to gun/population ratio.

For example, handgun from this thread, the M57 was given away to almost every army and police officer and NCOs after they finished their career.
Now you can get, unused M57 for as little as 50 bucks, because of the WORST part of the law.
Gun tax ,payed yearly. It is round 35 bucks, but if you know that average salary is 500$/month, people are selling them very cheap, or giving them to police.
View Quote

What can you own? Machine guns?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What can you own? Machine guns?
View Quote

Lol no, I wish.
Standard things, pistols, hunting rifles, shotguns, all semi-auto.

Although, a lot of families here have atleast one M70 assault rifle, or even an M84 machine gun.
All left from previous wars. Illegal possession of course.

I think that, in Europe, you can have automatic rifles only in Switzerland.
After they finish serving in the army, they get SIG SG 550 that was issued to them.
They keep it at home, and have one mandatory training each year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top