Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/11/2016 1:30:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Good write-up! I Love my FiveSeven. The main thing I would change in the design in the safety location; I wish they would have put it in the 1911 position.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it is ugly at all. I have wanted one of these for quite some time and now will hopefully have the chance in the next 4 years. They are good performers.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If they would make it a more standardized safety, I'd own one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Good carry gun simply due to how light and accurate it is, the fact that most jacklegs don't know how to work the safety, and how much ammo you have per magazine.

SS198LF is the only good factory round out there for defensive use; I consider the overpriced EA stuff to be boutique ammo, not really worth the extra expense considering the red box FNH stuff tests extremely well in gelatin, in actual shootings, and has proven to inconsistently penetrate 3A soft armor at close range. It's not the perfect pistol or round, but it is a great jack-of-all-trades combination.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Loved my PS90/FN57 combo when I owned them. Seriously considered making the FN57 my EDC but had difficulty finding spare mag holders (especially for my chest rig).
If it wasn't so pricey, I'd seriously consider purchasing another.

Tomac
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 4:19:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I would own one if they were not so ridiculously overpriced
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Can an RDS be mounted ?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one back in August and have only shot two mags through it. I really need to get it out more. For now its a safe queen.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can an RDS be mounted ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah this isn't helping my long term desire for one of these guns...
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the used gun market for one of these? I was looking at the pmr 30 but it does not appear to be a quarter of the gun at half the price.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]
The five seven I had is one of the guns I wish I held on to. For me it always surprised me how easy it was to make COM shots at 50 yards. I think for the most part this pistol makes the PCC obsolete...
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is a piece I wrote about the Five seveN as a carry gun:

TTAG Reader: What I Carry and Why – Harrishmasher’s FN Five-seveN
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:04:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would own one if they were not so ridiculously overpriced
View Quote

Likewise, I've loved it for a long time but hated the price.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  Now on the controversy surrounding the cartridge, this is from a posting by 2ndAmVA on another Forum in reference to the Shooting at Fort Hood by Hasan...

The FN 5.7 pistol is constantly maligned or underestimated in many gun forums and articles, often by people who have never experienced shooting the pistol. Subjective comparisons with the .22 magnum or categorization as a sub-par .223 round create confusion about the effectiveness of the FN 5

Using SS192 and SS197SR ammunition (common commercial 5.7x28 ammo), several 20-30 round magazines and an FN 5.7 (shooter also had a .357 revolver but did not use it), Hassan killed 13 and wounded 32

1. 11 people were shot center-of-mass (COM), one was shot in the stomach and one was shot in the head. All 13 died. All 11 victims who were shot COM did not survive.
2. 3 of the 13 people who died, tried to charge Hassan, but he stopped them with COM shots.
3. The 32 people who were wounded were hit in the arms, legs, hips and shoulders. None of the wounded survivors were shot COM.

The following conclusions can be drawn:
1. The FN 5.7 is a very lethal round CQB because all 11 victims who were shot COM died. No survivors for those hit COM.
2. The FN 5.7 is a real stopper, because 3 tried to charge Hassan at close range and were stopped by COM shots.
3. One of the fatalities was shot in the stomach, and died. The fragmentation of the SS197R round can create a hail of metal shards that can cause serious internal organ damage and bleeding in the stomach.
4. None of the 32 people who were hit in the extremities, hips and shoulders were able to muster a counter-attack because the FN 5.7 must have shattered or broken bones. The high rate of wounded vicitms to fatalities was the direct result of the shooting ability of Hassan (or lack thereof), and not because the 5.7x28 round is not lethal.
5. Sgt. Kimberly Munley (base civilian police), one of the first responders, was immediately disabled with 5.7x28 bullet shrapnels to her wrist and a second 5.7x28 bullet broke her femur. The light 5.7x28 commercial ammo showed that it can shatter large bones due to its velocity
6. According to medical personnel, there was so much blood in the room that it was difficult to get to the victims because the floor became very slippery. One can conclude that the commercial 5.7x28 rounds can fragment or tumble, causing immense blood loss.
7. It took five bullets (which I assume was a 9 mm) from Sgt Mark Todd to stop Hasan. And he survived his wounds (no available info on where he was hit, except that one of the bullets paralyzed Hasan).

In conclusion:
1. The FN 5.7 is definitely a very lethal round. 100% fatality for COM shots.
2. The FN 5.7 is a man-stopper. Three military men tried to charge Hasan, and all three were stopped.
2. The FN 5.7 is a very incapacitating round, if extremities are hit, because it is powerful enough to break the femur (which is the largest bone in the body)
3. The fragmentation or tumbling effect of commercial ammo can cause a lot of blood loss.

The FN 5.7 is a very effective weapon. It is as effective as, or arguably more effective, than any military or civilian pistols in the market.

It is unfortunate that the jihadist Hassan used this weapon against U.S. soldiers.
View Quote

First, on the .22" Mag question.  It would seem 5.7x28mm out of a pistol has roughly similar ballistics to .22" Magnum out of a 16" rifle bbl.  The bullets, however, would seem to have a much higher BC.

On to some of the conclusions above that don't entirely make sense to me:

1 - lethality is not what we seek in a pistol cartridge.  Penetration & permanent wound cavity is.  If that kills the miscreant, so be it.  But we're looking to stop through blood pressure reduction.  It may be that 5.7x28mm does turn the temporary cavity permanent, but that doesn't seem conclusive yet.

2 - what is a "real stopper'?  Psychological stops?  Penetration to the spine?  Without knowing the wound mechanism, these 3 deaths are anecdotal evidence.

3 - pistol wounds, particularly when medical treatment is delayed, can often be fatal.  No surprise or advantage for the 5.7mm here.

4 - or if you've been shot, perhaps you don't particularly feel like mounting a counter-attack.  It's not clear how many broken bones occurred - this is not even anecdotal, it's pure speculation @ this point.

5 - Congrats.  It broke one bone.  We have a data point!

6 - Really?  46 people shot, there's blood on the floor, and that's supposed to convince us the bullet tumbles?

7 - So 9x19mm @ least, apparently penetrated to the spine, just like it's supposed to.

1 - we don't care, particularly when the data is coming from a scenario in which medical treatment was significantly delayed.

2 - anecdotal evidence, as we have no idea the reasoning or mechanism behind the failure to continue the attack.

2(sic) - one femur hit does not make an incapacitating round.  Don't aim for the extremities.

3(sic) - anecdotal.

In conclusion, I submit that 2ndAmVA's conclusions were drawn on a Belgian-made Etch-A-Sketch.

The 5.7x28mm may be the greatest pistol round since JMB (pbuh) invented .45" ACP.  And certainly if muzzle velocities are in excess of 2100 fps, we can expect some large permanent cavities.  However, given the privacy of the shooting victims in the Fort Hood attack, we are unlikely to know the detailed wound mechanisms and how 5.7x28mm actually performed.  IF we had that data, perhaps we could draw some conclusions from it.  We don't, so the data is anecdotal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  From Skokie, IL 8/28/2008

Sgt. Timothy Gramins now carries 145 rounds of ammunition, every day, without fail. Why? Because he was involved in a shootout where the bad guy just Would Not Stop, even though he was hit 17 times(!) with .45 ACP bullets(!) From a full-sized Glock 21! In general it would be hard to carry much more gun than a Glock 21. Now, part of the internet gun banter is that “.45 ACP won’t just kill a man, it’ll also kill his soul”… or, another is to say “.45: because why shoot twice?” But in Sgt. Gramins’ case, he had to fire magazine after magazine at this attacker, and he scored 17 hits, and at least six of those hits would have been fatal: the attacker was hit in the heart, both lungs, the liver, the diaphragm, and a kidney. You cannot fault Sgt. Gramins’ shot placement! And you can’t fault his choice of weapon or caliber; .45 ACP is about as good as it gets in handguns. But the simple fact of the matter is, the perpetrator simply Would Not Stop. All in all, Sgt. Gramins fired 33 rounds, hitting 17 times. The attacker fired a total of 21 rounds from two different handguns. Gramins finally took the attacker down with three shots to the head – but even then, the attacker was still alive when taken to the emergency room. He would (probably) have died from any of those six shots before the head shots, but the big question is: when? Certainly not immediately, and those shots didn’t take him out of the fight – he continued to fire at Sgt. Gramins, and could have potentially killed the officer, even though he would (likely) have eventually died from his injuries. Again, it’s not about killing, it’s about STOPPING, and in this case the perpetrator simply would not stop, even though he’d been hit with lots of big .45 ACP bullets.

Even the vaunted .45 acp couldn't end the gunfight.

Article in Police Magazine on gunfight
View Quote

Not arguing that.  PIstol bullets suck.  That's why most of us hunt deer w/ rifles rather than our CC pieces.

However, the standard carry calibers - from .380" to 10mm - have a known wounding mechanism, it's well documented, the FBI has published standards, and it's clear which bullet does how much damage in gel relative to the other bullets.  This corresponds reasonably well w/ how those bullets have worked in real world shootings.

The new high-velocity screwdriver tip bullets don't have any correspondence yet to real world shootings, no matter how impressive in gel they are.  And 5.7x28mm has a single shooting incident - but b/c of the nature of the incident delaying medical care, and modern medical privacy practices, we don't know the exact location or mechanism of the wounds, other than they were shot w/ commercial 5.7x28mm.

It may be that 5.7x28mm out of a handgun is the magic wand we seek - one COM hit and the miscreant goes down - but there is insufficient data to draw that conclusion.  I get that YOU'RE convinced; you rely on it, you carry it, you stake your life on it.

But many of us are like Molon - in God we trust; all others must post data.  It will be interesting to see how .22" TCM competes w/ 5.7x28mm, given it's chambered in a more traditional platform.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Agreed, that is why a handgun should only be a reactive weapon....you use it to shoot your way to a primary weapon.

But, personally I DO trust the caliber, whether it's "just" SS198 or the much hotter Elite S4M or Elite T6B

I carry older (2 yrs old) Elite S4M in my FN Five-seveN. The newer loads (using Elite's brass instead of FN brass) isn't clocking as fast.

In addition, either S4M or T6B WILL penetrate Level IIIA body armor.

And as an FYI, I started out in Law Enforcement carrying a .357 Magnum, then a Colt .45 Gold Cup, then a Glock 17, then a Glock 22, then back to a Glock 17, finally an FN Five-seveN

The one I trusted the least?

The Glock 22 .40 and it was stoked with Cor-Bon 135 gr hollow points.
View Quote

Ever read Marshall & Sanow's work?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  Too many times!

I am a member of the light, fast bullet "camp".

But, I'm not a "Jello Junkie", I've never been attacked by a block of Jello.

I believe in real world bullet performance, the 9mm round I always carried was the Winchester 9mm 127 gr +P+

Jello tests don't rate it very high but its performance on the street is stellar.

As too street performance of the 5.7x28 round, they're out there, just not real easy to find. The Mexican Drug Cartels have killed quite a few people with the round.

I believe that considering the "total package" of the Five-seveN pistol it suits MY needs the best...

Concealable (using the fivesevenreddot Kydex holster)
LOW recoil
Very controllable
VERY FAST follow up shots
High capacity (21 rounds)
Damn accurate
Extremely reliable
I love the safety location (intuitive once you practice with it)
100 yard handgun (minor consideration)
Reasonably priced practice ammo ($17.99 box of 50 SS197 from PSA)
View Quote

Once you said you carried 135 grn in .40" S&W, I thought so.

Marshall and Sanow have been thoroughly debunked.  They were caught cooking the data - they made up their numbers.  If you are relying on them for "real world data", you are indulging in a fantasy in the same manner as Global Warming.

I was encouraged to see that Masterpiece arms rifle in 5.7x28mm takes your FN 5.7 mags.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
First, on the .22" Mag question.  It would seem 5.7x28mm out of a pistol has roughly similar ballistics to .22" Magnum out of a 16" rifle bbl.  The bullets, however, would seem to have a much higher BC.

1 - lethality is not what we seek in a pistol cartridge.  Penetration & permanent wound cavity is.  If that kills the miscreant, so be it.  But we're looking to stop through blood pressure reduction.  It may be that 5.7x28mm does turn the temporary cavity permanent, but that doesn't seem conclusive yet.

2 - what is a "real stopper'?  Psychological stops?  Penetration to the spine?  Without knowing the wound mechanism, these 3 deaths are anecdotal evidence.

3 - pistol wounds, particularly when medical treatment is delayed, can often be fatal.  No surprise or advantage for the 5.7mm here.

4 - or if you've been shot, perhaps you don't particularly feel like mounting a counter-attack.  It's not clear how many broken bones occurred - this is not even anecdotal, it's pure speculation @ this point.

6 - Really?  46 people shot, there's blood on the floor, and that's supposed to convince us the bullet tumbles?

7 - So 9x19mm @ least, apparently penetrated to the spine, just like it's supposed to.

1 - we don't care, particularly when the data is coming from a scenario in which medical treatment was significantly delayed.

2 - anecdotal evidence, as we have no idea the reasoning or mechanism behind the failure to continue the attack.

2(sic) - one femur hit does not make an incapacitating round.  Don't aim for the extremities.

3(sic) - anecdotal.

In conclusion, I submit that 2ndAmVA's conclusions were drawn on a Belgian-made Etch-A-Sketch.

The 5.7x28mm may be the greatest pistol round since JMB (pbuh) invented .45" ACP.  And certainly if muzzle velocities are in excess of 2100 fps, we can expect some large permanent cavities.  However, given the privacy of the shooting victims in the Fort Hood attack, we are unlikely to know the detailed wound mechanisms and how 5.7x28mm actually performed.  IF we had that data, perhaps we could draw some conclusions from it.  We don't, so the data is anecdotal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  Now on the controversy surrounding the cartridge, this is from a posting by 2ndAmVA on another Forum in reference to the Shooting at Fort Hood by Hasan...

The FN 5.7 pistol is constantly maligned or underestimated in many gun forums and articles, often by people who have never experienced shooting the pistol. Subjective comparisons with the .22 magnum or categorization as a sub-par .223 round create confusion about the effectiveness of the FN 5

Using SS192 and SS197SR ammunition (common commercial 5.7x28 ammo), several 20-30 round magazines and an FN 5.7 (shooter also had a .357 revolver but did not use it), Hassan killed 13 and wounded 32

1. 11 people were shot center-of-mass (COM), one was shot in the stomach and one was shot in the head. All 13 died. All 11 victims who were shot COM did not survive.

2. 3 of the 13 people who died, tried to charge Hassan, but he stopped them with COM shots.

3. The 32 people who were wounded were hit in the arms, legs, hips and shoulders. None of the wounded survivors were shot COM.

The following conclusions can be drawn:

1. The FN 5.7 is a very lethal round CQB because all 11 victims who were shot COM died. No survivors for those hit COM.

2. The FN 5.7 is a real stopper, because 3 tried to charge Hassan at close range and were stopped by COM shots.

3. One of the fatalities was shot in the stomach, and died. The fragmentation of the SS197R round can create a hail of metal shards that can cause serious internal organ damage and bleeding in the stomach.

4. None of the 32 people who were hit in the extremities, hips and shoulders were able to muster a counter-attack because the FN 5.7 must have shattered or broken bones. The high rate of wounded vicitms to fatalities was the direct result of the shooting ability of Hassan (or lack thereof), and not because the 5.7x28 round is not lethal.

5. Sgt. Kimberly Munley (base civilian police), one of the first responders, was immediately disabled with 5.7x28 bullet shrapnels to her wrist and a second 5.7x28 bullet broke her femur. The light 5.7x28 commercial ammo showed that it can shatter large bones due to its velocity

6. According to medical personnel, there was so much blood in the room that it was difficult to get to the victims because the floor became very slippery. One can conclude that the commercial 5.7x28 rounds can fragment or tumble, causing immense blood loss.

7. It took five bullets (which I assume was a 9 mm) from Sgt Mark Todd to stop Hasan. And he survived his wounds (no available info on where he was hit, except that one of the bullets paralyzed Hasan).

In conclusion:

1. The FN 5.7 is definitely a very lethal round. 100% fatality for COM shots.

2. The FN 5.7 is a man-stopper. Three military men tried to charge Hasan, and all three were stopped.

2. The FN 5.7 is a very incapacitating round, if extremities are hit, because it is powerful enough to break the femur (which is the largest bone in the body)

3. The fragmentation or tumbling effect of commercial ammo can cause a lot of blood loss.

The FN 5.7 is a very effective weapon. It is as effective as, or arguably more effective, than any military or civilian pistols in the market.

It is unfortunate that the jihadist Hassan used this weapon against U.S. soldiers.

3(sic) - anecdotal.

Most .22 mag bullets however are thin jacketed lead bullets :) the 5.7 definitely has the advantage there in bullet composition/design.

1. I would agree/disagree. Most of the 5.7 loads worth carrying are 2000 fps or faster at desired pistol self defense ranges. But without hard factual two legged incidents, we're playing with theories.

As mentioned, more data needs to be made available on shootings involving it. I see no reason as of now not to think it's an equal to other service calibers, the question always usually ends up with, what can it do better for it's cost that the 9mm can't already do equally. That's when I leave it up to someone's personal preference and their ability to train with their desired firearm :D
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#28]
THE most accurate pistol I've ever fired.

I really regret not picking up an original years ago at a gun show for $800 (IIRC)

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Ive been thinking about trading one of my premium AK'S for one. Now Im thinking about it more.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought mine simply because it's cool, and it pisses off liberals.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  Most .22 mag bullets however are thin jacketed lead bullets :) the 5.7 definitely has the advantage there in bullet composition/design.

1. I would agree/disagree. Most of the 5.7 loads worth carrying are 2000 fps or faster at desired pistol self defense ranges. But without hard factual two legged incidents, we're playing with theories.

As mentioned, more data needs to be made available on shootings involving it. I see no reason as of now not to think it's an equal to other service calibers, the question always usually ends up with, what can it do better for it's cost that the 9mm can't already do equally. That's when I leave it up to someone's personal preference and their ability to train with their desired firearm :D
View Quote

No argument on the .22" WMR.  5.7x28mm definitely is the more modern cartridge.

Saw one of these @ the Tulsa gun show:

Was told it takes FN 5.7 mags, which could make a handy companion, and possibly less expensive than the PS90.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://masterpiecearms.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2016-MPA5700DMG-Black.jpg

Was told it takes FN 5.7 mags, which could make a handy companion, and possibly less expensive than the PS90.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  Most .22 mag bullets however are thin jacketed lead bullets :) the 5.7 definitely has the advantage there in bullet composition/design.

Yeah I need to read up on how reliable they are/aren't
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  No argument on the .22" WMR.  5.7x28mm definitely is the more modern cartridge.

The good thing is it's MAC-10 based, which means they've already done all the 5.7x28mm conversion engineering for you to build your own.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]
After doing considerable amount of research on the ammunition available, I have concluded that this is pretty much the ideal pistol I have been looking for for my wife. Shes carries in a CCW designed purse (I know not ideal, but it is what it is) with a pistol pocket that is quickly accessible, and I think it can handle a gun this size. The weight increase of a fully loaded 5.7 should be negligible compared to the Smith 642 with over-sized hogue grips and 5 shots of 135gr ammo she carries now, but with the huge advantage of 4X the firepower. There are a couple of boutique ammo companies, including Desert Ammo Supply which is in my state, that makes serious ammo, and gel testing reveals that properly loaded defensive ammo (bullet type and velocity) makes a pretty substantial wound channel.  Couple that with the low recoil and high capacity, I think it makes a superior choice for her, especially given these crazy times of assholes rioting in the streets.

For those interested in proper ammo, just start youtubing it. The available FN ammo (even 198LF) are not the best performing rounds. I think (because I was one) a lot of people misjudge this cartridge based on older/commercial ammo; noting that these rounds typically only penetrate 8-9". With proper ammo, the 12" penetration mark can be achieved easily while still exhibiting either tumbling, expansion/fragmentation depending on the bullet choice.

The only downside I see, is the grip size and training her on the safety.  I don't see the Short Reach Trigger available anymore, which sucks.. that would've helped.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Elite has a "short reach trigger" for $43.99
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see the Short Reach Trigger available anymore, which sucks.. that would've helped.

Elite has a "short reach trigger" for $43.99

I must have missed it on their site,I'll look again. How difficult is it to change?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The FN Five-seveN MKII
View Quote

What's the differences between the first version?  Any reason to upgrade?z
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#39]
FN's site doesn't say much regarding dimensions. I need to know the pistol's total height and width. Can you measure that please? Thanks

I want to make sure the integral holster in her purse can fit it and still be easy to draw; for reference a G21 snags a bit on the draw because of the width and square profile of the slide.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Height - 5 5/8"

Length - 8 1/8"
View Quote

Thanks. What about slide width? That was of my main concerns.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Great, now I want one. How come no other major manufacturers have used this cartridge for a handgun yet?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:  Great, now I want one. How come no other major manufacturers have used this cartridge for a handgun yet?
View Quote

Ammo is only available from a few manufacturers.
It's associated w/ the Fort Hood attack.
Out of a decent length bbl, even "non-armor" piercing ammo can penetrate Level 3A vests, bringing controversy to the manufacturer, and running the risk that the ammo might be legislatively banned from use in pistols, negating the investment in development.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Out of a decent length bbl, even "non-armor" piercing ammo can penetrate Level 3A vests, bringing controversy to the manufacturer, and running the risk that the ammo might be legislatively banned from use in pistols, negating the investment in development.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Great, now I want one. How come no other major manufacturers have used this cartridge for a handgun yet?

I dont't think those are the reasons... I think it's simply an issue of practicality. It would require a purpose handgun, not just a modification to a current design, so that's a major investment.  The demand for a pistol in this caliber is hard to gauge because the FN is the only game in town and it has a high barrier to entry. If Glock made a 5.7 pistol, people would be lined up to get one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:  All that being said....

There is a report that a yet as unnamed MAJOR manufacturer is progressing with a new 5.7x28 polymer framed pistol in both a hammer fired and striker fired version.

That is all that I know at this time.
View Quote

Competition is always good news.  Perhaps it will bring FN's prices down - or inspire them to make a compact model.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Jay of Elite Ammunition states that FN cannot produce a "compact model" because of functioning issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:  All that being said....

There is a report that a yet as unnamed MAJOR manufacturer is progressing with a new 5.7x28 polymer framed pistol in both a hammer fired and striker fired version.

That is all that I know at this time.

Competition is always good news.  Perhaps it will bring FN's prices down - or inspire them to make a compact model.

Jay of Elite Ammunition states that FN cannot produce a "compact model" because of functioning issues.

Yeah and velocity loss. Excel Arms (another "EA") makes some 5.7x28mm firearms, but they have poor customer service, and their guns sometimes don't do the banging right.. There's the MPA line, but as mentioned FN is it, for now :) FN was the sole provider or virgin brass. Now there's EA.

S&B/Magtech has stated they will be doing 5.7x28mm ammo, but the CEO couldn't tell me if it was FN brass, or their own.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top