BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By T1NMAN:

Always fun helping other people spend money.

You're right...once I started looking... they're not many XD 357s out there.

I think I'll be happy with my one and only 357sig being a glock 27 conversion kit.
View Quote

That’s what I carried today. Gen2.5 Glock 27 with conversion barrel. The G22C with a 31C barrel is now sitting next to it on the night stand.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:
I am just as accurate with my G22 as my G17.  I am only very very slightly faster with the G17.  Splits are a gamer concept that is over emphasized in a self defense situation.  You are not going to shoot 5 targets, speed reload, and shoot 7 more targets.  It just doesn't happen.  No citizen has ever been caught on video doing a speed reload or tactical reload in a self defense situation.  

Stop thinking games apply to real life.  

I listed two rounds with the exact same penetration figures.  I'll take the one with more momentum because it hits harder.  Most of the time, a right cross hurts a fighter more than a jab.

P.S.  By the time the 9mm guys +P+ their load up for self defense, they are essentially shooting a .40 round with all the recoil and diminished "split times" that they thought they were gaining in the first place.
View Quote

What percentage of self defense shootings are caught on video?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Blain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3f0SXchTE

There have been a lot of replies since I last posted, and instead of addressing each one individually, I'm just going to make a few summations and overall observations.

It's interesting how fickle the gun community is.  You give one opinion that's contrary to the perceived "accepted" norm and you get instantly attacked!!

The amount of cope in gun community logic is also incredibly telling.  All pistol rounds suck just as equally, there is no noticeable difference between different calibers in terms of effectiveness and stopping power.  38 special stops just as well at 357 magnum in humans and game.  

Since all pistol rounds suck equally, 9mm is the best pistol round because its the most popular, and you can squeeze an extra round or two of capacity out of it.  

"If there was a "better" caliber / cartridge than X, the government would be using it."  - Gov switches from 5.56 to 277 Fury  "The Gov doesn't know WTF they're doing"

I remember hearing that same argument for 5.56 and greentip for years "the government uses it, so it's the best".  Meanwhile, the gov had been looking at developing more effective ammo options for decades and finally did adopt such with M855A1.

Again, gun community logic / thinking.  A LOT of cope involved. Any indication that their pet round may be insufficient, evidence / logic be damned, and they all jump on the attack bandwagon.  

38 special and 357 magnum use the exact same bullets.  They are exactly the same.  The can also appear, in a lot of cases, to have similar performance in gel (similar penetration, etc).  357 magnum is WELL documented in both humans and animals to be a much more effective stopper by an order of magnitude than 38 special. (although we do have ONE ARFcommer who thinks 357 Magnum is "small caliber" because of the diameter of the bullet )

What is the difference?  Velocity / energy!

As @03RN (and many others off this thread) have pointed out in their own first hand experiences, 38 special doesn't kill things nearly as well as 357 magnum.  Even though they use the exact same bullet design, so what' the difference?  Velocity / energy!

People love throwing pop phrases out like, "all handgun rounds suck".  Well, some handgun rounds suck a LOT less than others.  

Until the 9mm BPLE came out, 9mm had a horrible track record for stopping perps.  That extra velocity of the BPLE round was what made the difference between the 9mm being a poor stopper and not.  just another example of brute force / velocity increase alone (in a PISTOL) was enough to increase effectiveness WITHOUT advances in bullet design.  So for those who say that energy / velocity in pistols "doesn't matter", why did the velocity and energy increase in the old 9HP round make such a drastic difference in effectiveness?

Why does 357 magnum have such a drastic increase in performance in 2 and 4 legged critters over 38 special?

Lots of COPE here, as others have said.  Again, I am not even attacking any other calibers.  I said nothing to put 9mm, or any other rounds down at all.  I said nothing negative about them.  All I did was post how great of a self defense round 357 Sig is.  For some reason, that seems to rile up the trolls and the karens on this board.  

Since the gun community loves pop phrases, here is one for you.  You don't take flak unless you're over the target.

When people defensively attack you in reaction to something neutral that you're stating, it's because you touched a nerve and exposed a truth that they don't want revealed, because it threatens them!

As for me?  I'm very happy and confident with my new EDC round!  

View Quote

Post #6 in this thread seemed to be the first defensive attack, and it came from you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]

That's the one thing I don't like about his gel test videos, he gives measurements but not bullet weights.  What was your retained weight?  From the looks of it, your results match the others I've seen with Underwood's loading.  The bullet frags and sheds petals, much like the old Remington 357 Magnum SJHP which had a factory loading of 1,450 fps from a 4" barrel revolver.  Which is why I like this round so much, almost perfectly duplicates the performance of those legendary 96% one shot stop records in an auto pistol.  

It is NOT a load I would choose if expecting to shoot through barriers, but I imagine it would penetrate anyway through brute force alone.  Much like how the Remington 357 Magnum sjhp rounds would most likely muscle through most barriers due to sheer brute force alone.

In this video where he compares it with a 357 magnum, he shoots it through a wood barrier, and it actually penetrates more than the bare gel shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J3qOk_u3GM
View Quote

Dang, am I going to have to get a 357SIG bbl for my P226 or P229?!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:46:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NonTypical361] [#5]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

View Quote

Yes. Get both…😁
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's the one thing I don't like about his gel test videos, he gives measurements but not bullet weights.  What was your retained weight?  From the looks of it, your results match the others I've seen with Underwood's loading.  The bullet frags and sheds petals, much like the old Remington 357 Magnum SJHP which had a factory loading of 1,450 fps from a 4" barrel revolver.  Which is why I like this round so much, almost perfectly duplicates the performance of those legendary 96% one shot stop records in an auto pistol.  

It is NOT a load I would choose if expecting to shoot through barriers, but I imagine it would penetrate anyway through brute force alone.  Much like how the Remington 357 Magnum sjhp rounds would most likely muscle through most barriers due to sheer brute force alone.

In this video where he compares it with a 357 magnum, he shoots it through a wood barrier, and it actually penetrates more than the bare gel shot.

Had both preferred the 229 personally
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NonTypical361:

Yes. Get both…😁
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NonTypical361:

Yes. Get both…😁

What's better is that they are both in 40s&w.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

View All Quotes

I'm kind of swinging this way, too. The 226 has the E2 grip and it feels fantastic. The 229 is the DAK. I was pissed because I ordered the da/sa but SG sent this instead. It's in cherry condition so I decided to keep it. I ordered E2 grips for it on Monday should be here Friday.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#9]

I'm kind of swinging this way, too. The 226 has the E2 grip and it feels fantastic. The 229 is the DAK. I was pissed because I ordered the da/sa but SG sent this instead. It's in cherry condition so I decided to keep it. I ordered E2 grips for it on Monday should be here Friday.
View All Quotes

My favorite are the hogue G10
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:49:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#10]
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet:

Post #6 in this thread seemed to be the first defensive attack, and it came from you.
View All Quotes

There have been a lot of replies since I last posted, and instead of addressing each one individually, I'm just going to make a few summations and overall observations.

It's interesting how fickle the gun community is.  You give one opinion that's contrary to the perceived "accepted" norm and you get instantly attacked!!

The amount of cope in gun community logic is also incredibly telling.  All pistol rounds suck just as equally, there is no noticeable difference between different calibers in terms of effectiveness and stopping power.  38 special stops just as well at 357 magnum in humans and game.  

Since all pistol rounds suck equally, 9mm is the best pistol round because its the most popular, and you can squeeze an extra round or two of capacity out of it.  

"If there was a "better" caliber / cartridge than X, the government would be using it."  - Gov switches from 5.56 to 277 Fury  "The Gov doesn't know WTF they're doing"

I remember hearing that same argument for 5.56 and greentip for years "the government uses it, so it's the best".  Meanwhile, the gov had been looking at developing more effective ammo options for decades and finally did adopt such with M855A1.

Again, gun community logic / thinking.  A LOT of cope involved. Any indication that their pet round may be insufficient, evidence / logic be damned, and they all jump on the attack bandwagon.  

38 special and 357 magnum use the exact same bullets.  They are exactly the same.  The can also appear, in a lot of cases, to have similar performance in gel (similar penetration, etc).  357 magnum is WELL documented in both humans and animals to be a much more effective stopper by an order of magnitude than 38 special. (although we do have ONE ARFcommer who thinks 357 Magnum is "small caliber" because of the diameter of the bullet )

As @03RN (and many others off this thread) have pointed out in their own first hand experiences, 38 special doesn't kill things nearly as well as 357 magnum.  Even though they use the exact same bullet design, so what' the difference?  Velocity / energy!

People love throwing pop phrases out like, "all handgun rounds suck".  Well, some handgun rounds suck a LOT less than others.  

Until the 9mm BPLE came out, 9mm had a horrible track record for stopping perps.  That extra velocity of the BPLE round was what made the difference between the 9mm being a poor stopper and not.  just another example of brute force / velocity increase alone (in a PISTOL) was enough to increase effectiveness WITHOUT advances in bullet design.  So for those who say that energy / velocity in pistols "doesn't matter", why did the velocity and energy increase in the old 9HP round make such a drastic difference in effectiveness?

Why does 357 magnum have such a drastic increase in performance in 2 and 4 legged critters over 38 special?

Lots of COPE here, as others have said.  Again, I am not even attacking any other calibers.  I said nothing to put 9mm, or any other rounds down at all.  I said nothing negative about them.  All I did was post how great of a self defense round 357 Sig is.  For some reason, that seems to rile up the trolls and the karens on this board.  

Since the gun community loves pop phrases, here is one for you.  You don't take flak unless you're over the target.

When people defensively attack you in reaction to something neutral that you're stating, it's because you touched a nerve and exposed a truth that they don't want revealed, because it threatens them!

My response to the offensive attacks from posts 1, 3, and 5, which you conveniently chose to ignore, were not an "attack".  Funny how you chose to ignore those posts though.

Also, FYI, the mods chimed in and told everyone to drop the interpersonal stuff.  I'd advise that you do that and not to troll here.  IF you don't like 357 sig, just stay out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Every sig I have that can get them get the hogue wrap around grips. Their G10 grips go on everything else that they don’t have a wrap around on
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

Every sig I have that can get them get the hogue wrap around grips. Their G10 grips go on everything else that they don’t have a wrap around on
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

The wrap around are great other then the rubber catches shirts and isn’t great for little hands.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#13]

The wrap around are great other then the rubber catches shirts and isn’t great for little hands.
View Quote

Very true. The J frame wrap around now have a hard polymer base because the hang up was really bad on the Jframes.

As for the hands part. I recognize they aren’t for everyone. They are however great for large hands. Beretta 92 and P226/229 definitely get much larger in diameter with those grips. My Jericho doesn’t seem like it’s much bigger but it is a small amount.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I always thought .357 sig would be great in a PCC, especially one with a longer barrel
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#15]

View Quote

It doesn’t matter.  There have been such a large number of shootings captured that whatever lessons apply to the ones documented would apply to those not documented.  

I’m realizing our public education system has failed.  Critical thinking is non existent.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

I'll look them up. I like the E2 because it almost makes the gun feel like a Hi-Power or maybe a CZ75.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:
I always thought .357 sig would be great in a PCC, especially one with a longer barrel
View Quote

Agreed.  Kel Tec made a 40 Sub2000.  Would love to have one in 357 sig.  Imagine the underwood 68gr defenders out of a 16" barrel if they are doing ~2,100 - 2,200 fps from a 4.5"!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Didn’t Kriss chamber the 357 Sig?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got this back from Langdon Tactical. Just need to get the RMR mounted.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ToyCop:
Just got this back from Langdon Tactical. Just need to get the RMR mounted.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18568/IMG_1929-3164791.jpg

View Quote

Ohhhhhhh nice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#21]

My response to the offensive attacks from posts 1, 3, and 5, which you conveniently chose to ignore, were not an "attack".  Funny how you chose to ignore those posts though.

Also, FYI, the mods chimed in and told everyone to drop the interpersonal stuff.  I'd advise that you do that and not to troll here.  IF you don't like 357 sig, just stay out.
View All Quotes

3 and 5 were posts critical of the caliber explaining why it's not in use.

Is that what you perceive as an attack?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#22]

It doesn’t matter.  There have been such a large number of shootings captured that whatever lessons apply to the ones documented would apply to those not documented.  

I’m realizing our public education system has failed.  Critical thinking is non existent.
View All Quotes

You're the one lacking critical thinking. Your logic is fallacious.

You can glean lessons from incidents, but to assume they apply universally doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:46:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#23]
I never claimed the lessons were universal.  I specifically said "most of the time".  Critical thinking.  Look it up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I never claimed the lessons were universal.  I specifically said "most of the time".  Critical thinking.  Look it up.
View Quote

You said "most of the time" in relation to a metaphor for power of the cartridge.

The thing I was posting about was

"No citizen has ever been caught on video doing a speed reload or tactical reload in a self defense situation."

Improve your reading comprehension.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
I got a couple of Glock 32's when they first came out. I bought into the energy hype, but soon figured out that there wasn't really any gain in terminal performance. Just an increase in blast and flash. Just about any agency that adopted it has moved away from it.
View Quote

Because of women and soyboys on the force.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:02:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#26]

You said "most of the time" in relation to a metaphor for power of the cartridge.

"No citizen has ever been caught on video doing a speed reload or tactical reload in a self defense situation."

View Quote

What a space cadet.  In 30,000 videos of armed violent encounters, no one has ever been witnessed by the ASP channel doing a speed or tactical reload that influenced the outcome of the fight.  You would have to be brain dead to think that does not mean reloads are not as important as what is taught in the gamer influenced Disneyland with guns schools.

Is pot still legal in CO?  You are making me wonder.  Say no to drugs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:38:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#27]

View All Quotes

So them stating their critiques aren't attacks, but me stating mine are?  Got it.

Again, the mods told everyone to drop it, why are you trying to troll by stirring the pot again against their directive?  

What a space cadet.  

He aptly named himself, didn't he?

Originally Posted By AKPILOT:

Exactly.  

Same thing happened with 10mm.  Honestly, 357 sig recoil isn't even that bad.  Not much more than 9mm +p and seems to recoil less than 40 IMHO.  10mm kicks way more.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:41:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#28]
Good points Blain.  

Here is why 9mm is adored by the masses ... gamer mentality.  Sure, 9mm will give people advantages in speed that can be easily measured.  But, games don't measure the terminal effectiveness of rounds on living breathing things.  I have been to matches where people even drastically download 9mm to get a speed advantage.  You might as well be shooting .22 long rifle!  

Common sense tells you hitting harder is better than hitting softer.  Hunters know this.  Boxers know this.  

Here is the irony ... by the time you +P+ up your 9mm self defense round, you are effectively shooting the .40 cal.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#29]
View Quote

Someone chambered an MP5 clone in 357 Sig.
https://www.hkpro.com/threads/357sig-mp5.76735/
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Agreed.  Kel Tec made a 40 Sub2000.  Would love to have one in 357 sig.  Imagine the underwood 68gr defenders out of a 16" barrel if they are doing ~2,100 - 2,200 fps from a 4.5"!
View Quote

Well, see what it would take to obtain a 9mm barrel for your 40 cal sub2000.
Have it reamed or you ream it to 357 sig.
I don't know whoes magazine has the best internal volume but, you don't need to stay with Glock mags.
Various makers catchs can be fit to take other brand mags.
For instance, mine has a M&P mag catch in it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By meistermash:

I don't know whoes magazine has the best internal volume but, you don't need to stay with Glock mags.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By meistermash:

I have a 9mm glock model.  Should take the same 40/357 glock mags as the mag catch is the same.  Who would ream out the barrel for it to take 357 sig?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#32]

I have a 9mm glock model.  Should take the same 40/357 glock mags as the mag catch is the same.  Who would ream out the barrel for it to take 357 sig?
View Quote

Start with a 40cal pistol. Buy the conversion barrel.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:  Good points Blain.  

Here is why 9mm is adored by the masses ... gamer mentality.  Sure, 9mm will give people advantages in speed that can be easily measured.  But, games don't measure the terminal effectiveness of rounds on living breathing things.  I have been to matches where people even drastically download 9mm to get a speed advantage.  You might as well be shooting .22 long rifle!  

Common sense tells you hitting harder is better than hitting softer.  Hunters know this.  Boxers know this.  

Here is the irony ... by the time you +P+ up your 9mm self defense round, you are effectively shooting the .40 cal.
View Quote

9x19mm is significantly less expensive than .357 SIG.

A given size magazine can hold more rounds of 9x19mm than it can .357 SIG.

9x19mm +P comes close to .357 SIG factory ballistics, which induced numerous departments to move to 9x19mm +P.

There are far more 9x19mm firearms in the market, in the US or worldwide, than in .357 SIG.

Gamers are a small part of the market, and did not drive the shift away from .357 SIG or .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#34]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

9x19mm +P comes close to .357 SIG factory ballistics, which induced numerous departments to move to 9x19mm +P.

There are far more 9x19mm firearms in the market, in the US or worldwide, than in .357 SIG.

Gamers are a small part of the market, and did not drive the shift away from .357 SIG or .40 S&W.
View All Quotes

And a lot of gun games have power factors, which means more gamers using more powerful rounds like 38 super, 9mm Dillon, .40 S&W, etc. Gun games have kept some rounds alive that would otherwise be dead or damn near.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WILSON] [#35]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

And a lot of gun games have power factors, which means more gamers using more powerful rounds like 38 super, 9mm Dillon, .40 S&W, etc. Gun games have kept some rounds alive that would otherwise be dead or damn near.
View All Quotes

Thank the lord for gun games without them my favorite Super 38 likely would have died a sad lonely death but it was kept alive long enough to atleast gain some cult following.

9mm makes sense for the vast majority of users as the sensible choice. It is extremely close in performance in the proper loadings, it’s got far more availability in choices and in shear availability. It’s also cheaper to train with and stock in quantity. Which is also a factor for agencies purchasing it. That doesn’t mean it’s the only choice. Imo 357 Sig has a following in some circles and it offered a definite edge in some circumstances that also doesn’t make it the only good choice noir the only suitable option for those situation in 2024
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Thank the lord for gun games without them my favorite Super 38 likely would have died a sad lonely death but it was kept alive long enough to atleast gain some cult following.

9mm makes sense for the vast majority of users as the sensible choice. It is extremely close in performance in the proper loadings, it’s got far more availability in choices and in shear availability. It’s also cheaper to train with and stock in quantity. Which is also a factor for agencies purchasing it. That doesn’t mean it’s the only choice. Imo 357 Sig has a following in some circles and it offered a definite edge in some circumstances that also doesn’t make it the only good choice noir the only suitable option for those situation in 2024
View All Quotes

Oh, don't worry about .38 Super, I could sell all the 1911s in .38 Super I could get my hands on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:18:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#38]
Originally Posted By WILSON:
If somebody tried to be as fair as possible, how do the 9x19 vs 357 SIG numbers stack up anyway?
Say 110 or 125 grain magic projectiles?  
View Quote

In standard 9mm or are we allowing +p?
Speer Gold Dot
125 gr Speer factory gold dot is 1350
124 gr 9mm +p is  1220
Penetration numbers on the two loadings are
Heavy clothing 18.30 and 14.13
Hornady Critical Duty 135gr
9mm +p 1162 15”
Sig 1221 13.4”

ETA: the Critical Duty however gives better penetration in 357 Sig in every other barrier then the 9mm+P if that’s a goal and the trade offs are worth it to the person
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Oh, don't worry about .38 Super, I could sell all the 1911s in .38 Super I could get my hands on.
View All Quotes

Could probably sell more of them to me lol though I’ve been cheating and dabbling in 10mm lately.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:19:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#40]
Don't run .357 Sig, but I've always had a lot of respect for .357 magnum.  It's been a while, but last I looked, .357 Magnum performance difference as a defense round was pretty profoundly more effective than the 9/40/45 rounds.   Fitting that into a semi-auto with a comfortable grip always seemed like an intereting idea.  ANd I believe .357 sig was designed to give .357 mag performance, yes?

So  I've personally viewed its usage and application sort of similar to what .357 magnum was, where it was a high-recoil gun with limited ammo that would stop an assailant RFN, with just one shot.  Which to me is a different handgun philosophy than a high-cap combat gun.  Where accurate delivey of that first shot was higher priority than rapid follow-up.  And so high capacity high-speed seems less of a factor than a gun that was controllable and each shot was intended to the be the final shot.  Putting it into a common polymer .40 cal high-cap spray and pray gun never felt like the right pairing to me, and that's what most offereings were - were .40 cal compromise round that people realized they didn't like, that were 9mm guns stretched to fit .40 cal; and then converted to .357 sig - vs a ground-up philosophy of how do we do a proper .357 magnum design approach into a semi-auto.  To me, that round makes more sense in more of a single-stack target style configuration gun.  Just my own thought - probably just me.  Something like a P210 in .357 Sig, would be quite the pairing (do they do that?)

In any event, for my needs, I'm satisifed with 9mm; but I can't actually talk shit about .357 Sig - it's a bigger round, that gives bigger performance.  If I really wanted a power-dog to end a gun-fight one shot at a time, a single-stack (for better fit and control) .357 sig would probably be an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:23:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#41]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Don't run .357 Sig, but I've always had a lot of respect for .357 magnum.  It's been a while, but last I looked, .357 Magnum performance difference as a defense round was pretty profoundly more effective than the 9/40/45 rounds.   Fitting that into a semi-auto with a comfortable grip always seemed like an intereting idea.  ANd I believe .357 sig was designed to give .357 mag performance, yes?

So  I've personally viewed its usage and application sort of similar to what .357 magnum was, where it was a high-recoil gun with limited ammo that would stop an assailant RFN, with just one shot.  Which to me is a different handgun philosophy than a high-cap combat gun.  Where accurate delivey of that first shot was higher priority than rapid follow-up.  And so high capacity high-speed seems less of a factor than a gun that was controllable and each shot was intended to the be the final shot.  Putting it into a common polymer .40 cal high-cap spray and pray gun never felt like the right pairing to me, and that's what most offereings were - were .40 cal compromise round that people realized they didn't like, that were 9mm guns stretched to fit .40 cal; and then converted to .357 sig - vs a ground-up philosophy of how do we do a proper .357 magnum design approach into a semi-auto.  To me, that round makes more sense in more of a single-stack target style configuration gun.  Just my own thought - probably just me.  Something like a P210 in .357 Sig, would be quite the pairing (do they do that?)

In any event, for my needs, I'm satisifed with 9mm; but I can't actually talk shit about .357 Sig - it's a bigger round, that gives bigger performance.  If I really wanted a power-dog to end a gun-fight one shot at a time, a single-stack (for better fit and control) .357 sig would probably be an excellent choice.
View Quote

If you really want to end a fight with single shot “power-dog”, why not look at .460 Rowland? .44 Mag ballistics from a .45 sized firearm. Drop in the barrel on an FNX45 (currently being blown out by LockedandLoaded, you have to email them for price) and you have 18+1 (once you mod the baseplate on the FN545 mags) rounds of a cartridge that is ballistically equivalent to a .44 Mag.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#42]

View Quote

If you want 357 Sig in a single stack that question was answered in 1929. I’m running 147s at 1225, 124gr at 1375, and 115gr at 1475 could probably add some juice to the 115s and can go more on the 124s but no need.

ETA: Ive ran 124s as high as 1425 in a colt barrel
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#44]
+P because I suspect the 357SIG is already running barrels closer to the failing point at 40,000 PSI anyway (compared to 9x19's 35,000PSI).  

I have a 229 in 357 SIG, but I didn't realize it was it was all that much hotter than my plain old 9mm's.
Until this thread.

https://d1w4q6ldc8l0qo.cloudfront.net/media/AN/images/ballistic-gel.jpeg

View All Quotes

In standard 9mm or are we allowing +p?
Speer Gold Dot
125 gr Speer factory gold dot is 1350
124 gr 9mm +p is  1220
Penetration numbers on the two loadings are
Heavy clothing 18.30 and 14.13
Hornady Critical Duty 135gr
9mm +p 1162 15"
Sig 1221 13.4"

ETA: the Critical Duty however gives better penetration in 357 Sig in every other barrier then the 9mm+P if that's a goal and the trade offs are worth it to the person
+P because I suspect the 357SIG is already running barrels closer to the failing point at 40,000 PSI anyway (compared to 9x19's 35,000PSI).  

I have a 229 in 357 SIG, but I didn't realize it was it was all that much hotter than my plain old 9mm's.
Until this thread.

https://d1w4q6ldc8l0qo.cloudfront.net/media/AN/images/ballistic-gel.jpeg

229 in 357 with a Grey Guns adjustable trigger, Short reset trigger kit, and there duty rated springs makes for a excellent combo. But my m11A1 is set up about the same and 9mm is cheaper so I run it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:39:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erichard] [#45]
new 68gr Underwood defender has over 700fpe with a velocity at over 2,200 fps with a massive permanent wound channel!  That's rifle like ballistics!
View Quote

What I have in my Glocks too. Unlike .357 mag, it will penetrate Level IIIa armor.

I also use the same 68gr Extreme Defender bullet in 9mm in my p365 for carry, since the gun is so much more concealable than the Glocks. I have retired the Glocks to home defense duty, for which they are king of pistols IMHO. Also have 40cal USP and some double stack 1911's, all of which are too big to carry but powerful guns, and easy to shoot guns.

People tend to overemphasize the study that showed no difference in outcome amongst pistol calibers. Physics doesn't lie. More energy = more damage and more penetration. If you watch steel being hit by 9mm vs 40 or .357 sig or 357 Mag, it's a noticeable difference in ringing loudness and movement of the steel. It's clearly harder hitting.

Agencies pick ammo for reasons unrelated to what's best. Ammo that is cheaper and easier to get and easier on recoil, with cheaper guns seems to be guiding policy now. They are catering to the lowest common denominator for what people can handle. 9mm is definitely easier to shoot, cheaper, yada yada, but not better terminally.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Where is the data that indicates .357 Mag is a one shot stop round?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:06:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erichard] [#47]

Where is the data that indicates .357 Mag is a one shot stop round?
View Quote

I didn't make the original quote, but there is data that suggests there are more one shot stops with that caliber than any other pistol caliber (as I recall, .380 did well for some reason too). It was a fairly large study. The problem is, because people generally have a lot of rounds in their Glock 19 or 17, they tend to lay down a string of fire without hesitation, knowing they have plenty to spare. This means they never gave 9 a chance for just one shot. For 357 Magnum, they are shot out of 6 shot revolvers generally speaking, so people in the old days used to conserve ammo more, and maybe pause after one shot. This gives it a chance to be the one shot stopper of all time even though it may or may not be better (although likely better per bullet in any case.)

Hard to draw conclusions of causality in most if not nearly all studies unless they are blind random controlled prospective studies, not retrospective ones. Prospective studies are rarely done for this type of thing (if ever).
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#48]

What a space cadet.  In 30,000 videos of armed violent encounters, no one has ever been witnessed by the ASP channel doing a speed or tactical reload that influenced the outcome of the fight.  You would have to be brain dead to think that does not mean reloads are not as important as what is taught in the gamer influenced Disneyland with guns schools.

View All Quotes

Yes, reloads aren't very common in self defense shootings. That doesn't mean they never happen, as you claimed.

Having fast and accurate follow up shots isn't gamer nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#49]

So them stating their critiques aren't attacks, but me stating mine are?  Got it.

Again, the mods told everyone to drop it, why are you trying to troll by stirring the pot again against their directive?  

Exactly.  

Same thing happened with 10mm.  Honestly, 357 sig recoil isn't even that bad.  Not much more than 9mm +p and seems to recoil less than 40 IMHO.  10mm kicks way more.

View All Quotes

What a space cadet.  

Originally Posted By AKPILOT:

Exactly.  

You're still being the same emotionally immature and condescending poster. So are the other people who attach their identity to a caliber in this thread.

If you can't tell the difference between civil discussion and condescending/attacking people, it's no wonder you keep getting threads locked.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

I want a 357 Sig setup for my UMP.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top