BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
Has anyone passed in 2024 from concealment IWB?
View Quote

I think I'll shoot it on Sunday
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I had wrist surgery on Dec 26 so still can't shoot 2 handed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By evnash:

So over a year ago I started a pistol drill thread in GD. Right after Eli Dickens shooting. Every month I posted a new drill with videos, descriptions, etc. every kept up with a scoreboard. First month I had 20+ shooters post their results. By the 5th month there were around 7-8 and for the next year  we averaged around 5 people a month until I let it die

I even made a post here on handgun discussions and not a single person replied.

I’m convinced that 90% of members don’t even shoot their guns and of those 10% that do, they will never post any drill results
View Quote

I agree with ya, at that time I had 0 free time. Switched jobs and now I’m off Fridays and I shoot almost every week. But yes it sucks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]

So over a year ago I started a pistol drill thread in GD. Right after Eli Dickens shooting. Every month I posted a new drill with videos, descriptions, etc. every kept up with a scoreboard. First month I had 20+ shooters post their results. By the 5th month there were around 7-8 and for the next year  we averaged around 5 people a month until I let it die

I even made a post here on handgun discussions and not a single person replied.

I’m convinced that 90% of members don’t even shoot their guns and of those 10% that do, they will never post any drill results
View Quote

I’m sad you let that thread die, but I get it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 2:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fordtough25] [#5]
Shot this today, no pics. Shots we’re good, times were slow lol

All with my g17 in its duty holster.

Fun drill, challenging and can’t wait to try again. Will get pics next time

Edit: shots were good placement wise
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:
Shot this today, no pics. Shits we’re good, times were slow lol

All with my g17 in its duty holster.

Fun drill, challenging and can’t wait to try again. Will get pics next time
View Quote

I always find that is key to having a good range day.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:14:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2alpha-down0] [#7]
I passed, barely.  I'm kind of surprised that I did, given that I don't shoot that much these days.

All A zone hits on the second target.

CZ P07 (irons) in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
@evnash

Did you just shoot this again in 2024?  I'll add you to the 2024 list.

You shoot it concealed or no
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:33:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#9]
Man I missed a lot today. Not to mention the video somehow got jacked up. I wanted one continuous video but I'm not sure what happened.  It's a new phone too.

Shot completely cold. Not even a practice presentation. I purposely slowed my firstv2 draws down to ensure hits.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Man I missed a lot today. Not to mention the video somehow got jacked up. I wanted one continuous video but I'm not sure what happened.  It's a new phone too.

Shot completely cold. Not even a practice presentation. I purposely slowed my firstv2 draws down to ensure hits.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000345_jpg-3125714.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AglKNMEPsSA
View Quote
Very impressive as usual. Even more so with the cold weather and cold weather clothing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:22:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: evnash] [#11]
@evnash

Did you just shoot this again in 2024?  I'll add you to the 2024 list.

You shoot it concealed or no
View Quote

Yeah I shot  it again. Concealed
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Very impressive as usual. Even more so with the cold weather and cold weather clothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks. I'm disappointed in my accuracy.  I needed to slow down on a few more of the stages.

It was warm today. 40. No gloves, no jacket. The knee deep snow was the only problem.  I tried packing it down with my snowshoes which worked pretty good until it broke through lol
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Great thread. Will be going on a big range trip with 6-8 guys Saturday and I'll see how everyone does.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Humbling drill. I made all good hits but missed par time on several segments. Will review when I get home, suspect drawing from concealment and reloads were my sticking points.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Looked real good to me. Better than I could do shooting cold.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeDevola] [#16]
On a related training side note:

I searched the dimensions of the FBI-QIT-97 targets for the original drill and made some.  Shot some different drills on them yesterday.  Bill Drills, draws w/ doubles, reload pairs, draws and doubles on two targets, etc.

Holy crap those targets are small and unforgiving compared to what we're using here!  Bottom half of their A zone is only 4" wide, the A on the USPSA is 6" the whole way.

You've got to be a talented stud, or shooting 500 rounds a week to qual expert on the actual FAM with those targets.

I'm going to make more of these and incorporate them into training, just because they're harder to get good hits on.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:47:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#17]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
On a related training side note:

I searched the dimensions of the FBI-QIT-97 targets for the original drill and made some.  Shot some different drills on them yesterday.  Bill Drills, draws w/ doubles, reload pairs, draws and doubles on two targets, etc.

Holy crap those targets are small and unforgiving compared to what we're using here!  Bottom half of their A zone is only 4" wide, the A on the USPSA is 6" the whole way.

You've got to be a talented stud, or shooting 500 rounds a week to qual expert on the actual FAM with those targets.

I'm going to make more of these and incorporate them into training, just because they're harder to get good hits on.
View Quote
Very true.  I know the IPSC target is more forgiving but it's still hard.

Most people are not going to have a FBI-QIT-97 laying around but IPSC cardboard targets are quite ubiquitous
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Guys, an old shot timer I wanted to use to shoot this qual drill with went t.u. yesterday. What are the makes/models you guys are using?

Looking for a recommendation. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
Guys, an old shot timer I wanted to use to shoot this qual drill with went t.u. yesterday. What are the makes/models you guys are using?

View Quote

I've got an old PACT timer I found for $20 in the random shit box at my LGS.  It's been working well for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

@Nick_Adams

The IPSC Shot Timer app is pretty good. I've been using it for a while. Should be available for both Apple and Android platforms.

I'm going to give this Qual a go at some point. Looks like fun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Failed it today, some segments I passed. The wind blowing my cover garment against my body during the draw stroke was less than helpful. I’m still learning the 2011 platform and new to RDS on handguns as well, the reload from slide lock definitely hurt my time. It humbled me so I stayed for a 400 round practice session afterwards.

No pix or vids as I went alone, I just wrote the times down as I went on a spare target I had brought.  

Staccato C2 w/Holosun 507 and TLR7
Blackpoint OWB holster
Trex Arms single mag pouch
Insulated flannel from Costco

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ruin:
Failed it today, some segments I passed. The wind blowing my cover garment against my body during the draw stroke was less than helpful. I'm still learning the 2011 platform and new to RDS on handguns as well, the reload from slide lock definitely hurt my time. It humbled me so I stayed for a 400 round practice session afterwards.

No pix or vids as I went alone, I just wrote the times down as I went on a spare target I had brought.  

Blackpoint OWB holster

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100831/IMG_9074_jpeg-3132431.JPG

View Quote

Pretty good, keep working at it. I am doing the same. FYI Stage 3 is only 1 string. No addition for second string.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

Pretty good, keep working at it. I am doing the same. FYI Stage 3 is only 1 string. No addition for second string.
View Quote

Thanks and good catch! It’s going to become my warm up every range session since you’re supposed to shoot it cold anyway.

Still had a damn good day at the range.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#24]
Originally Posted By Ruin:
Failed it today, some segments I passed. The wind blowing my cover garment against my body during the draw stroke was less than helpful. I’m still learning the 2011 platform and new to RDS on handguns as well, the reload from slide lock definitely hurt my time. It humbled me so I stayed for a 400 round practice session afterwards.

Blackpoint OWB holster

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100831/IMG_9074_jpeg-3132431.JPG

View Quote

Good job
Reload is not from slide lock fwiw

Oh, shit, just reread it. The second reload is from slide lock
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I’m using a pocket pro 2
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#26]
@Nick_Adams

I’m using a PACT Club III and I have one NIB as a spare, maybe we can work something out if interested.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

I use an app called "Splits", available free in the google play store.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I just picked up one of the new the Shooter's Global Go timers. The app has a feature that you can sync up your phone and use the app to interface with the timer. So it'll show all your times/splits on the phone screen and it's overlaid ONTO video as you're shooting it.
$150 and only a few months since it's been released.  I understand it's not as ruggedized as the OG Shooter's Global timer, but it's useful enough for the video feature alone that I don't mind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Dang that is a fun standard. Several of the guys I went with shot twice. The scores were good on points, but they largely passed the par times.
I ran it twice with 129 points and 130 points respectively, but all times under par across the board. It's definitely going to be going into the standard rotation of drills.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#30]

I’m using a pocket pro 2
View All Quotes

I’m using a pocket pro 2

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Yesterday I snagged a Pocket Pro 2 at one of the LGSs. Can’t wait to shoot this drill with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#31]
I was watching a video of the guys from tier one concealed running this qualification. They did it a second time once they found out the proper scoring. Link

Apparently the scoring for the official qualifier is the entire bottle (including the dotted line lower portion) is a +5 and any hits off bottle but on the paper are +2 (yes, you read that right)

That's a pretty big change to the scoring, much more generous. .

I marked out the FBI-QIT-99 dimensions on a IPSC target with a sharpie for reference. If the above scoring is true then that would equate to the full C zone being +5 and the D zone being +2.

What do you guys think, should I update the drill sheet (c zone is + 5) or leave as is (much more challenging)?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I was watching a video of the guys from tier one concealed running this qualification. They did it a second time once they found out the proper scoring. Link

Apparently the scoring for the official qualifier is the entire bottle (including the dotted line lower portion) is a +5 and any hits off bottle but on the paper are +2 (yes, you read that right)

I marked out the FBI-QIT-99 dimensions on a IPSC target with a sharpie for reference. If the above scoring is true then that would equate to the full C zone being +5 and the D zone being +2.

What do you guys think, should I update the drill sheet (c zone is + 5) or leave as is (much more challenging)?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/IMG_9889_jpeg-3133151.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/IMG_9885_jpeg-3133147.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/IMG_9890_jpeg-3133156.JPG
View Quote

That's roughly how we did it on pistol-forum back in the day.  A/B/C was +5, D was +2.  Line breaks counted for the lower score.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9499-Week-79-Original-Air-Marshal-Pistol-Qual
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

That target would raise my scores from last year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Well that's like cheating
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#35]
Originally Posted By 2alpha-down0:

That's roughly how we did it on pistol-forum back in the day.  A/B/C was +5, D was +2.  Line breaks counted for the lower score.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9499-Week-79-Original-Air-Marshal-Pistol-Qual
View Quote
Interesting that's how PF did it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#36]

Well that's like cheating
View Quote
For you. You can keep shooting A zones only

I thought it seemed pretty hard for a government qualification, but if that's how they do it, that's how they do it.

I hope to try this later today, however, I am coming off a wrist surgery so my hopes are not that high
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I prefer the harder standard.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#38]
I'll let some more opinions roll in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll let some more opinions roll in.
View Quote

Update the sheet and leave both posted. People can try it both ways.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#40]
Good drill always thought so. Another good one is the Bakersfield PD qual. Didn’t see this tell now suppose I’ll give it a go next trip to the range. Think last years pass was with a super commander but not 100% sure.

ETA: I’m of the opinion any shots off target are a DQ imo it’s never acceptable to train to miss. If your throwing rounds slow down I’d rather see a person fail time than miss.

ETA2: not saying that’s what we need to do but I’d say harder scoring of the two
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#41]
So in that case...I definitely passed twice with the official standard and nearly passed twice with the drastically harder standard.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Couple more runs today. First was with my Lcp max. Draws were from my pocket holster. While I didn’t pass it I’m very pleased with my scores and times.

118 pts with only 2 strings under par

Attachment Attached File

Second run was with my 375xl work owb concealed. Same target as the Lcp hence the holes. I barely missed time on one string. I’ll try again and ace it this week

148 pts, 1 string over par

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Couple more runs today. First was with my Lcp max. Draws were from my pocket holster. While I didn't pass it I'm very pleased with my scores and times.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222048/IMG_5590_jpeg-3134806.JPG

Second run was with my 375xl work owb concealed. Same target as the Lcp hence the holes. I barely missed time on one string. I'll try again and ace it this week

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222048/IMG_5588_jpeg-3134807.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222048/IMG_5589_jpeg-3134808.JPG
View Quote
Legit man.

I went to shoot it yesterday and brought two target stands, but only one piece of cardboard. Doh. So I ended up just practicing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Couple more runs today. First was with my Lcp max. Draws were from my pocket holster. While I didn’t pass it I’m very pleased with my scores and times.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222048/IMG_5590_jpeg-3134806.JPG

Second run was with my 375xl work owb concealed. Same target as the Lcp hence the holes. I barely missed time on one string. I’ll try again and ace it this week

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222048/IMG_5588_jpeg-3134807.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222048/IMG_5589_jpeg-3134808.JPG
View Quote

Solid runs!
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIZZO_ARAKM14] [#45]
I saw the FAM qual on YouTube a few months back and the dude ran everything like it was one string with the listed par times and it looked like cake. I had no idea it was 2 strings in that par time.

If/when I get to the range again, I'll have to try it since it actually looks hard.  Not that that's saying much with my average skills and lack of range time from being a little hard up
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Just wanted to confirm with everyone that your mags for the reloads  need to be from concealment as well. Agreed?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Legit man.

I went to shoot it yesterday and brought two target stands, but only one piece of cardboard. Doh. So I ended up just practicing.
View Quote

This sounds very much like something I would do.  Couple weeks ago I went to the range and remembered I moved my ammo I was going to use out of the truck for some reason. I was able to scrounge enough ammo from another bag to salvage the trip, but it was a little disappointing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Just wanted to confirm with everyone that your mags for the reloads  need to be from concealment as well. Agreed?
View Quote

I believe the course is intended to be shot from concealment therefore both gun and reload should be inconspicuous.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
100%
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

I say stick to the A zone. But you you could also say Failed, Pass FAMQ, Pass Practical Shooter
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top