User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:15:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -GuNuT-:

That's what you call a training scar. Don't practice putting yourself in a position that puts your at a disadvantage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
I also practice the Mozambique drill from surrender position (wrists above shoulders) against a timer.  

That's what you call a training scar. Don't practice putting yourself in a position that puts your at a disadvantage.

Noop.  Not a training scar at all  ….

Our instructor referred to it as, “engaging at your first opportunity from a disadvantaged position”  - essentially, taking your opponent by surprise. He stresses practicing this drill against a timer, among doing other drills.

https://www.facebook.com/practicaldefensetactics/videos/the-man-who-started-it-all-jim-zubiena-appendix-draw-delivering-3-shots-in-a-cla/1659979644262104/

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll watch later. I've never shot off reset I just do the full range boogie. All the way forward all the way back. I started that way with revolvers and just shoot everythuing that way. They used to tease me at USPSA for shooting my 2011 like that. Slappomatic style. I used to have a video of Leatham or Miculek talking about how they do it sometimes and would send people that link so they knew I was clearly using high level techniques
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Our instructor referred to it as, “engaging at your first opportunity from a disadvantaged position”  - essentially, taking your opponent by surprise. He stresses practicing this drill against a timer, among doing other drills.

https://www.facebook.com/practicaldefensetactics/videos/the-man-who-started-it-all-jim-zubiena-appendix-draw-delivering-3-shots-in-a-cla/1659979644262104/

You can thank me later.
View Quote

I get what you’re doing. My point is you’re building in a disadvantage. If you were to encounter this in a real life scenario, you will be more inclined to voluntarily enter a surrender position (because that’s how you train), rather than keeping your hands closer to your weapon, where you can draw faster with less of a visible signature.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#4]

I get what you’re doing. My point is you’re building in a disadvantage. If you were to encounter this in a real life scenario, you will be more inclined to voluntarily enter a surrender position (because that’s how you train), rather than keeping your hands closer to your weapon, where you can draw faster with less of a visible signature.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You can thank me later.

Okay, fair point.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

The only context where training to draw from the "hands up" position is a disadvantage would be sport competition.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By adversor:

The only context where training to draw from the "hands up" position is a disadvantage would be sport competition.
View Quote

Easy solution.

If you walk around the world with your hands only in the surrender position, then just train that.  

If you walk around the world and think that you'll never be caught off guard and always have your hand next to your holster, then just train that.

If you are merely a human being and can't predict what the day will bring you, train accordingly.  To me, that means training for both.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I do with one pistol. A S&W Bodyguard 380. Longest damn trigger pull of any pistol I own. I've gotten used to staging the trigger to about the point of fire on the first round also. I do okay with it at ten yards which is what it's about good for and it serves as a tiny pocket pistol. Terrible for rapid fire as occasionally I'll miss a beat and have to pull again but it will go bang as its a DA.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Riding the reset is the pistol equivalent of shooting an AR with your nose to the charging handle.  A poor technique used for training basic entry level shooters to pass slow fire quals. If you don't understand why either is bad, you need to go out and seek some training!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Slack out, sight picture, PRessssssss

I find the wall again during recoil.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
Slack out, sight picture, PRessssssss

I find the wall again during recoil.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MHowski:
I’ve never heard that term before.
View Quote

'Reset'? Me neither. Some shooters will ride the thumb safety on a 1911 so they don't engage it by accident. I do not know, and really don't care what some dweebs on here think a 're-set' is on a gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

I usually do not call them out I try not to do it with my friends I shoot with.  I usually use a different tactic and get them to notice it themselves.  Some of my shooting buddies has to much pride to admit or have someone notice they are not a tier 1 ninja.  I am the complete opposite I know I am not an elite shooter and always work hard to improve my flaws and that has done more to improve my shooting than anything else.  If you can accept you make mistake and that you will miss if you are pushing yourself you can easily improve.  If you think you are perfect and have no room to improve well we all know those types,
View Quote

Oh man. I saw this and laughed a little at how different people are. Amongst my group of friends when someone gets caught doing something wrong or just stupid, you will get called on it and then get ragged for about 5min straight. We all agree it helps keep egos in check

As far as riding the reset, I’ll do it on occasion just messing around but have never considered making it a habit. I think it’s a bad thing to get in a habit of, especially when talk8mg self defense. I have noticed with my p320, it kinda has a false reset and when I get it wrong, I find myself doing a kind of weird flinch/dip that I don’t seem to do if I’m not real focused on the reset
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]
If riding the reset is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PRYDE:
Riding the reset is the pistol equivalent of shooting an AR with your nose to the charging handle.  A poor technique used for training basic entry level shooters to pass slow fire quals. If you don't understand why either is bad, you need to go out and seek some training!
View Quote

There's nothing wrong with nose to charging handle if that's where you head fits comfortably
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Been shooting a long time but mostly a 1911 and recently got a Canik tp9. Like the Canik trigger but I prefer to ride the reset while shooting steel.

I can shoot it faster and accurate that way and my preferred way. I will stick what works for me and will advise any others stick to what works for you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
Been shooting a long time but mostly a 1911 and recently got a Canik tp9. Like the Canik trigger but I prefer to ride the reset while shooting steel.

I can shoot it faster and accurate that way and my preferred way. I will stick what works for me and will advise any others stick to what works for you.
View Quote

That's because it has a striker fired trigger and no safety.  So manufacturers make them have a longer pull.  If you ride the reset it makes them closer to a single action pistol.  Before strikers not many worried about reset because revolvers don't have one and a 1911 is such a short stroke that you don't need to ride the reset.  But riding the reset can cause trouble you can't hear the reset when firing and in a self defense situation your fine motor skill deteriorate.  I think often we worry to much about accuracy for normal self defense situations a pie plate at 5 yards is the maximum needed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Still pinning the trigger then waiting for the reset? Here's why you are wasting your time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PRYDE] [#18]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

There's nothing wrong with nose to charging handle if that's where you head fits comfortably
View Quote

Unless you have a giraffe neck, it is impossible to get straight back aligned behind the rifle and have your nose on the charging handle while maintaining proper length of pull.
NTCH is a trash strategy that was taught for a time when people were still shooting with the rifle canted on their shoulder while prone.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top