Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:17:07 AM EDT
As the title suggests, I'm comparing the listed weapons in 9mm. I spend some time at the Indy 1500 this wekeend and excluded the HK P30 (to big) and Sig P250 (looks and feels like crummy quality). The P99 remained from my original shortlist, but I added the SigPro 2022 and HK P2000 SK.

What are the good, bad, ugly on the three?
(P99 - Make sure you get a german built version.)

I also liked the feel of the CZ 75, but there seem to be a lot or portruding items on that, exposed hammer etc and no accessory rail for a light.

The goal is home defense and CCW both by the wife and myself.

Any input is appreciated.

Okki
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#1]
CZP01 FTW!
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
CZP01 FTW!

How about substantiating that opinion? What are the Pro's Con's to this weapon. Why would I pick it over a P99 or SigPro 2022 or HK P2000SK?
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig polymer pistols don't have a good reputation.

I hear good things about P99s...but they aren't my cup of tea.

P2000SK is nice...but it is smaller than either the P99 or SP2022, so what exactly are you looking for?

Are you hung up on a polymer gun or something?

Edit:

Oh, and the CZ P01 has a light rail and is DA/SA, with a decocker, so the hammer would be down when you carry it. Good gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the P99 and looked at the CZ before I purchased.  Here are my observations...

1) I handled and/or shot several different guns before buying and the Walther clearly has the best ergonomics for me.  The grip design is the best of the dozen or so 9MM I looked at.  The length of pull on the CZ was a bit too long for me, IIRC.

2) The quality of the Walther build is exceptional.  I found it to be equal to the HK/Sigs that I examined and at ~$200-300 less.  It is clearly better than the S&W M&P9, SA XD, etc. IMO.

3) The trigger is perhaps a weakness on this gun but can be remedied (I have the QA trigger BTW.)  The QA has a heavy pull and is gritty out of the box.  There are a couple of threads on the Walther Forums that can give you some options on working out the kinks.  Dry firing will help smooth out the trigger and there are some other options for reducing the weight of pull if you want to do so.  I would look harder at the AS trigger if I was purchasing today.

4) Accessories for the P99 are hard to find.  You will not find a plethora of holster options and the right holster, to my way of thinking, is paramount for CCW.  I don't like Glocks but I get jealous when I see all the aftermarket options Glock users have for their platform.  I think you will find more options for the Sig and/or HK.

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a fan of the P99 sold my Glock for a second one in compact.

I am sorry to say I have little experience with the other two firearms on your list.

The P99 AS is an excellent choice.  

Pros

1. The rear sight is adjustable for windage, The front sight is easy to replace with 3 blade heights, and the 3 different size grip panels allow for easy personal fit.

2. The fit and finish are excellent.

3.  The latest gerneration of the P99 has Weaver front rails like XDs, H&Ks ect.  Making adding lights or lasers easy if that your cup of tea.

4.  The Decock button is high on the slide out of the way

5.  The AS trigger is excellent near target quality.

6.  the P99 will fit in XD holsters

Cons to the P99

1. High cap mags are expensive $40+

2. The front sight is held in with a screw in a recess so switching to Night sights is a B&*#ch

3. After you shoot it you will want the compact and the PPS to go with it.

Good luck get the AS version there are recent threads that the new production P99s have polished trigger internals and are very smooth out of the box.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Of those three, I'd get the HK.  The HKs tend to make it through training classes.  The Walther, not so much. Sig quality seems to be going downhill a bit recently.

I prefer Glocks but the HKs work too.

Link Posted: 8/25/2008 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got old Interarms P99s, They have trigger internals polished from the factory.

I've found that with a P99 firing 9mm 115 fmj I had to order a shorter front sight from Smith and wesson boefore my gun would hit where I was aiming.

I like the thin profile and small size of a p99.

I would not compare a p99 trigger to a match 1911 trigger, or an Old S&W M19, Not even close.  The trigger is great for what it is.

As posted Mags will cost you.
anoter con

the magazine release can be a bit longer. I see that on the newer models they made them much longer than what I have.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the SIG Pros, but I don't know that I would CC one. Never heard a whole lot about real reliability, probably due to the relatively low numer of SP owners compared to the alternatives. Also not exactly a small gun, though that doesn't preclude CC, just makes it less than ideal.

I am a very big fan of CZs. I was originally considering a P01 (or waiting for the P06) for carry, until I became absolutely addicted to 1911s.

The P2Ks seem like nice guns - had a friend with one, but I never shot it. But why the SK, when your other options are full-size pistols? Seems a bit out of place...

P99s are pretty good, but the only direct experience I have there is with a SW99, which was horribly unreliable. Good range gun - accurate, controllable, etc - but not good for serious use. The true Walthers are supposedly more reliable, so that should hopefully be a non-issue.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#10]
CZ P01's have probably the worst trigger imaginable on a DA/SA auto with a decocker.

Avoid it like the plague.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]
SW99 here, had problems in the beginning, sent back to SW, warrantied, got it back not one problem since.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I ended up selling my Sig SP2009 for my P2000sk.  The 2009 was a great first gun, and I recommended it to a best friend to get as his first gun.  But I truly felt like I upgraded when I got that P2000sk.

It just fit me so much better.  And since it was a much better concealed carry gun that also accepted higher capacity P2000/USPc and now P30 mags, it was simply more flexible than the others.  The P2000sk is what I would (and did) pick.

I skipped on the Walther P99 because it was still fairly new at the time, and seemed problematic from reviews I had read.

I love the LEM trigger on the sk as well.  The only thing I hate about my sk is the little wiggle it has on the right side slide release.  Try to find one that doesn't have that rattle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#13]
of your 3, HK hands down
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have the P99 and looked at the CZ before I purchased.  Here are my observations...

1) I handled and/or shot several different guns before buying and the Walther clearly has the best ergonomics for me.  The grip design is the best of the dozen or so 9MM I looked at.  The length of pull on the CZ was a bit too long for me, IIRC.

OPer, this illustrates perfectly why you have to go try the guns yourself and do NOT base your decision strictly on what we say. These are all good weapons, however fit and usability is different for every individual. I can't stand the fit/feel of the Walther personally, but I have several friends that love it. I on the other hand prefer the Glock and S&W M&P models. The weapon is only half of the equation in making the system as a whole. The other half... you. You will never know how they work together until you try.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Nothing against polymer gun here. The P99 has a decent amount of plastic on it as well. the P250 just seems bad build quality. I tried two different ones at different vendors, and while holding the frame in one hand, i could move the slide sideways with my other hand. I thought the modularity of the gun was cool, but the tolerances just seem to wide for my taste.

All guns meantioned fit my hand well and seemed to sight up naturally when I acquired a target. The P2000 SK is the only compact in the list because it was the only P2000 I was able to handle at the gunshow this weekend. CCW is a consideration, but not a big one. It will mainly be for range-time, home defense and in-car road trips.

I have a CP99 which is the Co2 version of the P99 and I like how that handles, so that may predispose me towards the Walther. It cracks me up how picking out a handgun is so much harder then picking out my AR

Okki
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I love my P99. Have you researched this site?
Waltherforums

Edit: I have more time to type now.  The features that sold me the most on the P99 are the ergonomics and the clean profile.

It fits my hand better than any other handgun I have ever shot. It points very naturally for me.  I also like the fact that the decocker, slide release, and takedown controls are very flush and will not snag on anything while CCW.

The mag relaese is also very nice. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but after some practice I can now reload without coming of target.

It is also a hell of a lot more accurate than I am.

I have only found one thing I would change.  I have the AS trigger (DA/SA) and I I bult it I would have it break farther forward. When the trigger breaks it is right against the frame.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#18]
The Sig 2022 is a grat gun, extreemly under rated! I'd take it over the HK and P99. Here is a range report I did on the 2022.......
I also own the HK and at one time owned a P99 but sold it because of the poorly designed decocker.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=14&t=62067&page=1
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I also own the HK and at one time owned a P99 but sold it because of the poorly designed decocker.

What did you not like about the decocker?
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I dumped my Glocks in favor of the P99, one full size and one compact.  I think they are great and consider them the next evolution of the Glock-like design.

Link Posted: 8/26/2008 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that it's in the top of the slide where you cannot hit it by accident. but you have to use your weak hand to use it, or take the weapon off-target. either way should not be an issue when decocking the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Have a P99 QA (with the trigger mods) and I have 1200+ rounds through it without a hitch....I love it.

I like glocks, but I like to be different.  EVERYBODY has a glock.

My CCW is a Walther PPS 9mm and it's an accurate little sucker!

Have shot Sigs and HK's and they all have their good and bad points!
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Of those three...none. I'd get the HK P2000. The P2000 SK is a sub-compact. The P2000 is comparable in size to the P99 and the Sig.

The P99 is a good gun too, I guess get the one that feels the best and points the best for you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was so hard to use it was ridiculous! I never could find an effeciant way to get it depressed without changing the grip up. The Sig frame mounted decocker along with the slide mounted ones like on a Beretta or Smith and Wesson are easy and can be engaged using weak and strong hand without changing the position of the pistol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree.  The decocker on the P99 is retarded.  Up on top of the slide.  What were they thinking when they designed it?

The P2000 is good with the LEM trigger.  The one with the decocker has it as a button on the back of the slide.  Not that great if you ask me.

The Sig is the best one of the 3 the OP mentioned, in my opinion.  Their plastic pistols run just fine.  Alot of satisfied owners out there.  I'd recommend one in DAK, but their decockers on DA/SA are probably the best placed ones on any pistol of that type I've fired.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#26]
My dad just bought a 99 and really likes it.

At the same time, I have a CZ75 Compact and just bought a SP01 and love them.  I haven't shot a P01, but would suggest you take a look at i.t
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#27]
2022 is too big for CCW.  The 2000sk is perfect for CCW and you can get a larger capacity USPc mag for home defense swap.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I can only talk about the sig and the 99.

I have had both for 3 years or so, and have put about 3k through the sig (40cal). and about 1k through the Walther (9mm), reloads and factory.  I am very happy with both guns, and wouldn't sell them if I needed money (isn't that the best endorsement one can give on a board with an efficient EE!).

Out of 4k rounds, i have had only a handful of malfunctions with either gun.  I'm pretty sure the sig was because of a bad mag, got rid of the mag and it has run perfect since.  I'm not sure what the deal was with the Walther, but all malfunctions with it were in the first 300 rounds, so ill chalk it up to break in issues.  I don't like the trigger that much on the Walther, but its not a 1911 so its expected and no worse than a glock and its better than a ruger or SW auto.  The sig is much like my full size, non plastic sigs, only the pro gets carried a lot more when I am out because it is just as reliable, shots the same, but I spent much less on it so i don't care as much if it gets stolen or taken by the cops if I have to use it.  The Walther is just a fun gun to have in the safe.  Some folks on the first page said that the pro has a rep for reliability issues, this is news to me, and I have not had any more problems with it than any of my other guns.  

They only thing I have bad to say is that at one point I had the full size sw99 in 45, and I didn't care much for it and its reliability issues, so i sold it.  Its smaller Walther cousin has been much better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top