Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 7:19:50 PM EDT
Out at the range this past weekend.

Slide locked back and wont budge.

Back to S&W/Walther for repair I guess.

I have less than 300 rds through it.

I have never used S&W repair before.  Will they issue a call tag and pay for shipping it back?

Update 11/3/09

They sent the shipping stuff within a few days of me calling.

Life got in the way and I was unable to send it in for a few weeks.

Finally gave it to the Fedex guy last Monday morning.

Arrived today, fixed.

Letter stated they replaced the slide stop and spring.

8 days roundtrip, cant complain about their timeliness.

Range this weekend to make sure it is 'really' fixed.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had prompt and friendly service with S&W. Had my gun back in about 10 days.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've had prompt and friendly service with S&W. Had my gun back in about 10 days.

thanks

that makes me feel better

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Every time I think about looking at a Walther PPS, I see another post like this, where the slide stop jams or something and causes the slide to be completely frozen back...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd sell it once you got it back. When did you buy it??? My dad had a POS Walther
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I like their idea with the PPS. Their execution, unfortunately, appears to be lacking.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My 9mm PPS has been golden. Accurate and reliable.

Send it back to Walther/S&W, they'll take care of it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Turn it into a hood ornament and focus on your BHP.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd sell it once you got it back. When did you buy it??? My dad had a POS Walther

And what would you recommend he replace it with?

You know you want to...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
SPoke with S&W this afternoon.

No questions asked, just wanted by address to send me the free shipping stuff.

So far, so good.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you want to...

With an AK of course!!!! duh!!!!

Seriously, either an HK, FN, XD, Sig, or even a Block ( ).
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you want to...

Don't flame me but I would get the new Taurus 709 Slim.  It holds the same amount of ammo as the PSS, has a safety, and only costs $350.

My buddy just bought one and after putting 150 rounds through his gun I can tell you it is a shooter.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I've sent a p22 back for service and they fixed it promptly - even paid for all the shipping.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My 9mm PPS has been golden. Accurate and reliable.

Send it back to Walther/S&W, they'll take care of it.

Mine has also been very good. Although I have noticed too many threads like this one about the PPS.  It is my main carry gun right now and needs to be the most reliable.  I am starting to think I should of gone with the P2000sk that I first intended to buy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Nobody ever gets subcompact autoloaders right the first time.

My policy is to let some other pioneer take the arrows on those for the first few years.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#17]
So far 200 rounds through my PPS and no problems so far.  I've had 1 FTF and that was due to me limp wristing it the first time I shot one handed with my non-dominant hand (i'm right handed, I was shooting left).  Other than that, everything is going great!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:04:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I have carried my PPS 40 over 6-8 mo now.  My round count is over 1000.  A mix of various defense rounds and ball with no problems.  

Being that the PPS action is 99% just like a Glock, there is not much to hang one up like you are talking.  Prob something in the captured recoil spring let go and hung it up.  

Smith will make it right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag to hear the outcome.  

My bet is S&W will make it right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#20]
my PPS .40 has been solid so far for 100 rounds, JHP and FMJ.  Only malfunction was a FTF shooting hot double tap rounds, too hot for serious use in this gun anyway.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
SPoke with S&W this afternoon.

No questions asked, just wanted by address to send me the free shipping stuff.

So far, so good.

Good to hear that. S&W will take care of you.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nobody ever gets subcompact autoloaders right the first time.

My policy is to let some other pioneer take the arrows on those for the first few years.

You are absolutely right. It can take years to get the bugs out of a design.

But this is what Walther did whilst studying the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Glocks before they put the PPS into production.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought mine used and had issues w/ the large backstrap. The previous owner had never used the large backstrap. I called S&W and the only question he asked me was what was my address. They sent me a new one immediately.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#24]
S&W lost my Dad's gun when he sent it back. After two months they refunded his money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I like the PPK better personally.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#26]
You'll be very pleased with S&W's customer service. It is top notch and should be noted by all. A very good American co. we all should support. If your pistol is not right they will make it so no matter how many trips it takes. I know it sucks having to send a new gun back for service. I had to with a M&P 9c. It's been perfect since the trip back to Smith however.

Shabo
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#27]
bump for update

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#28]
It's good they fixed it, but from other reports, S&W can be finicky when it comes to fixing Walther series weapons. They fix it for free, though, so just keep sending it in till it's good to go. That is, if it isn't already.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Doing my internet research prior to buying, I was not able to find a comparable gun that did not have issues.  Kahr (really like those), Kel-Tec, Taurus, etc.  The Glock would probably be a more sure bet but it is not really comparable (thick as they come).  I would say stick to 9mm in these weapons.  I love my .40s but when looking at PPStalk.com you see that the vast majority of the issues with these guns come along with the 40.  The PPS is also on its 3rd minor revision.  The PPS's with serial #s starting with AB were the first run and are the most problematic.  From what I read they made some subtle changes in the second and third runs to address some of the reported problems (particularly the slide problems) but I can't remember specifically what they were.  When I bought mine I made sure it was an AD...

Buying a concealable gun will usually be a compromise.  You have to know your options ahead of time and make an educated purchase.  That said I am well over 1000 rds thru my PPS9 and the thing flat out rocks.  Can't believe how well I'm able to shoot that thing, it hangs right in there (almost) with my USP40 at the range.  The build quality is top notch.  It actually has a metal frame laid into the polymer frame.  Over built.  Thats all good but we all know you can build it to be the best gun in the world, but it still has to be reliable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone that wants a superbly reliable, single stack auto need look no further than the 3rd gen S&W autos.  And they come in just about every size, caliber and manual of arms there is.  Beats the crap out of me why they stopped selling them although they are still listed in S&W's LE catalog.  They're one of the best deals on the used gun market.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone that wants a superbly reliable, single stack auto need look no further than the 3rd gen S&W autos.  And they come in just about every size, caliber and manual of arms there is.  Beats the crap out of me why they stopped selling them although they are still listed in S&W's LE catalog.  They're one of the best deals on the used gun market.

+1
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:42:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know which is more troubling, the fact that the slide stop and\or spring broke after only 300 rds or the fact those those parts breaking turned the gun into a paper weight?

Hell with it's size and weight, it wouldn't even be all that great of a paper weight!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:16:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Out at the range this past weekend.

Slide locked back and wont budge.

Back to S&W/Walther for repair I guess.

I have less than 300 rds through it.

I have never used S&W repair before.  Will they issue a call tag and pay for shipping it back?

Update 11/3/09

They sent the shipping stuff within a few days of me calling.

Life got in the way and I was unable to send it in for a few weeks.

Finally gave it to the Fedex guy last Monday morning.

Arrived today, fixed.

Letter stated they replaced the slide stop and spring.

8 days roundtrip, cant complain about their timeliness.

Range this weekend to make sure it is 'really' fixed.

Update us after your range trip, hope it goes well.

Link Posted: 11/8/2009 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Range trip today

80 or so rounds, no trouble.

After looking at the slide a bit closer, S&W added a few rub marks when they had it.

Link Posted: 11/8/2009 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Range trip today

80 or so rounds, no trouble.

After looking at the slide a bit closer, S&W added a few rub marks when they had it.

They just added some 'character.' Nice to hear they did a good job (at least so far. 80 rounds isn't that many).
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 4:54:34 AM EDT
[#36]
That is good to hear.  If it is your CCW gun, it will end up with a lot of "rub" marks.  I put a big ding in the back of mine when I dropped it on the ceramic floor.  Never try to catch a loaded gun.

Anyway, this is another lesson in buying from a top tier manufacturer.  They will make it right.

Link Posted: 11/9/2009 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#37]
My GF's 9mm PPS has been pretty reliable so far only a few stove pipes.

But yesterday we tried shooting some of the "Range Safe" ammo by Sellier & Bellot the copper coated steel case stuff,

and it did not like that ammo. It would not eject the stuff ,spent cases were getting stuck in the chamber.

Not sure if its just garbage ammo or the gun just doesn't like steel cased stuff.
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They just added some 'character.' Nice to hear they did a good job (at least so far. 80 rounds isn't that many).

Yeah, it didnt really bother me, but wanted others to draw their own conclusions.

80 rounds isnt that much.  Gotta warm up the Dillon this weekend.  Didn't realize I was so low on range rounds.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top