Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2010 3:41:43 PM EDT
For concealed carry, I am debating between the new Ruger SR9c and a Smith & Wesson M&P 9c.  (I have shot the M&P but not the Ruger yet).

Who has experience with both of these guns and can provide a fair comparison?  

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of the two, the fit and finish is better on the M&P, but the sr9c is slimmer and has an ambi external safety. Both are pretty accurate. I never had a jam in either gun even in the break-in period. The M&P has the interchangable backstraps, whereas the sr9c only has that little strip thingy. One thing you might consider though is the beavertail on the sr9c, it will protect you from slidebite if you dont get a good grip during an altercation. For what its worth I carried the m&p9c until sr9c came and now I carry the ruger. Or you can just get both.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Out of the two, the fit and finish is better on the M&P, but the sr9c is slimmer and has an ambi external safety. Both are pretty accurate. I never had a jam in either gun even in the break-in period. The M&P has the interchangable backstraps, whereas the sr9c only has that little strip thingy. One thing you might consider though is the beavertail on the sr9c, it will protect you from slidebite if you dont get a good grip during an altercation. For what its worth I carried the m&p9c until sr9c came and now I carry the ruger. Or you can just get both.

What made you decide to carry the Ruger over the M&P?
I'm in the same boat as the OP, but I'm leaning towards the ruger because of the slimness, 17rnds, and lower cost.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are seriously considering both I'd go to the range and rent both to see what you shoot best.
Both have pros and cons.
Given the fact that the sr9c is a fairly new pistol I'd lay off purchasing it for awhile which gives you ample time to discover any issues that may arise from other owners.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a Glock 1911 guy and I am going to say the M&P hands down.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The M&P hands down.  The SR9c is brand new, and it's big brother has been very problematic to a lot of folks including myself.  I've put over a thousand rounds through my M&PC that I got after the new years and it has been flawless.  IMO the M&P is far superior to the SR9.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot the SR9 a lot, can't stand the trigger.  I'm making an assumption here but the SR9c will have the same trigger.

Go dry fire an M&P and then then SR9, you will feel what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've shot the SR9 a lot, can't stand the trigger.  I'm making an assumption here but the SR9c will have the same trigger.

thats what i thought at first but I found out that it has a much better/smoother trigger. I chose the sr9c because it has an external safety, not a big deal to some but it sealed the deal for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope, they changed the trigger design. I also read somewhere that the SR9 will now have the improved trigger as well. Everything I have read seems to indicate that the SR9c has an awesome trigger.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats what i thought at first but I found out that it has a much better/smoother trigger. I chose the sr9c because it has an external safety, not a big deal to some but it sealed the deal for me.

The M&P series is also available with an ambi safety.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My M&P 9 has ambi safeties.  It's a very reliable, accurate handgun with terrific ergos.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
thats what i thought at first but I found out that it has a much better/smoother trigger.

The compacts Ruger had at SHOT had much better triggers than the full-sizes I've played with. Night and day difference.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]
M&P...
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
M&P...

Convincing argument.

Honestly guys, I really hope the OP isn't deciding based on which one is more popular. If you are going to post something, explain your experience and what you like / don't like about the gun. After doing a lot of research, Arfcom seems to be about the only place where this is much of a bias towards the M&P. I'm curious to know what you guys like so much about it other than it is reliable. Either gun should be very reliable, and if not I'm sure S&W or Ruger will do anything to make it right. What is better about the M&P that makes it worth the extra money? Is it any more accurate or better built?

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
M&P...

Convincing argument.

Honestly guys, I really hope the OP isn't deciding based on which one is more popular. If you are going to post something, explain your experience and what you like / don't like about the gun. After doing a lot of research, Arfcom seems to be about the only place where this is much of a bias towards the M&P. I'm curious to know what you guys like so much about it other than it is reliable. Either gun should be very reliable, and if not I'm sure S&W or Ruger will do anything to make it right. What is better about the M&P that makes it worth the extra money? Is it any more accurate or better built?

The M&P is a known quantity with large amounts of available holsters and aftermarket support. It is ergonomic, easy to shoot well, has a good trigger with the PC or apex sear, and has several gunsmiths that can modify them to suit most needs. Think Glock with ergos more people find comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top