Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 45
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:19:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#1]
Got a little more range time in yesterday before the sun went down. Not my day. I missed the first round (15yards, 8in plate), even taking a little extra time. Follow up shot was a direct impact. Disappointing, but tried to focus on doing the drill again. When I pushed the speed, my accuracy degraded a bunch. It's still so much fun to go out and have fun. My hot wife joined me also. That's always fun when she takes interest in your hobbies. She's definitely a more consistent shot than I am. She takes a little longer to make that shot, but she nearly always hit it.

I've started planning to go back to Thunder Ranch, Oregon in 2021. I plan to attend Defensive Pistol with the TRS. I just gotta keep practicing what I suck at.

Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:
Got a little more range time in yesterday before the sun went down. Not my day. I missed the first round (15yards, 8in plate), even taking a little extra time. Follow up shot was a direct impact. Disappointing, but tried to focus on doing the drill again. When I pushed the speed, my accuracy degraded a bunch. It's still so much fun to go out and have fun. My hot wife joined me also. That's always fun when she takes interest in your hobbies. She's definitely a more consistent shot than I am. She takes a little longer to make that shot, but she nearly always hit it.

I've started planning to go back to Thunder Ranch, Oregon in 2021. I plan to attend Defensive Pistol with the TRS. I just gotta keep practicing what I suck at.

https://i.imgur.com/ukzlWf2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LyFaxRQ.jpg
View Quote
Your wife takes great pictures! It's a good time for sure we get to practice and enjoy the hobby, even better when the family joins. I wonder how many people go to Thunder Ranch with TR marked weapons?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#3]

https://i.imgur.com/ukzlWf2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LyFaxRQ.jpg
View Quote
When i posted a thread in GD about shooting 8" steel at 15 yards from concealment i had a ton of people scoffing at how easy it is. It really isnt a hard shot but none of those people posted videos showing how easy it is.

This was last week
8" steel at 15 yards from concealment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

When i posted a thread in GD about shooting 8" steel at 15 yards from concealment i had a ton of people scoffing at how easy it is. It really isnt a hard shot but none of those people posted videos showing how easy it is.

This was last week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjU40-RIs_A
View Quote
Great shooting man! 8" at 15 yards is not a difficult shot under normal range conditions. Under stress it continues to become more difficult. I don't pay attention to what most people claim about how good they shoot. People at work know I'm into long range shooting, they always come tell me how tight of a group they shot at 1000 yards. The old farts are as good of liars as kids. No one knows what their holdover or wind call was for whatever range they brag about. I always tell them congratulations, one guy didn't realize that his claim beat the world record at 1000 yards haha, he started back pedaling from there.

That being said, I appreciate that video. It's great practice. I need to do it more. I may try to post a video sometime. I'm sure it's a great way to critique your shooting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Great shooting man! 8" at 15 yards is not a difficult shot under normal range conditions. Under stress it continues to become more difficult. I don't pay attention to what most people claim about how good they shoot. People at work know I'm into long range shooting, they always come tell me how tight of a group they shot at 1000 yards. The old farts are as good of liars as kids. No one knows what their holdover or wind call was for whatever range they brag about. I always tell them congratulations, one guy didn't realize that his claim beat the world record at 1000 yards haha, he started back pedaling from there.

That being said, I appreciate that video. It's great practice. I need to do it more. I may try to post a video sometime. I'm sure it's a great way to critique your shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This was last week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjU40-RIs_A

Thats the whole reason i record my self. So i can analyze and try to become more efficient.

That video is with my M66-8 with magnums. Embarrassingly when i switched to my 1911 i did not do as well
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Thats the whole reason i record my self. So i can analyze and try to become more efficient.

That video is with my M66-8 with magnums. Embarrassingly when i switched to my 1911 i did not do as well
View Quote
I have been practicing first shot hits at 15 yards from concealment and it's not that easy shew, I need more practice and less thinking!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#8]
1911s carry well and shoot great, it’s not hard to see why anyone would like them. I keep carry my DW (and more often than it, a .357 revolver) in spite of having more modern guns.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:
I have been practicing first shot hits at 15 yards from concealment and it's not that easy shew, I need more practice and less thinking!
View All Quotes

An 8" plate might as well be a 2" plate at fifteen yrds. Its tough!
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ban-hater:

An 8" plate might as well be a 2" plate at fifteen yrds. Its tough!
View Quote
Agree shew!!! Will have an el presidente setup soon with ar500 torso targets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the planning ahead for 2021 and training at Thunder Ranch.

It is not rocket science but one of my favorite drills is 1 mag, with 1 round.  Load weapon.  Spare full mag.  Shoot one round, slide lock, mag change, two additional rounds.  You can pick your target, distance etc.  You get two seperate "first shots" and can see how your grouping is when shooting 3 rounds in only a few seconds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Great thread, thanks for sharing your experience and including the pics!

Any recommendations on a good IWB holster for an Operator with a rail?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By @M4arc:
Great thread, thanks for sharing your experience and including the pics!
Any recommendations on a good IWB holster for an Operator with a rail?
View Quote
Thanks for the kind words.

An Operator with a half rail will fit the Milt Sparks SS2. I've tried it with a Springfield 10mm TRP w/ rail. It will not fit a M45A1 or other Colt Railguns. Springfield, Wilson, and Nighthawk both use a lower profile rail that fits perfectly fine in the SS2. It's the best leather holster I've owned. The internal steel stiffener is essential for any leather product in my opinion. Now, nothing is perfect. The Summer Special has two loops that are fairly narrow. This is a blessing and a curse. The width of the loops allows the holster to cant back and forth. As you sit, stand, and move around, the holster will 'fall' back closer to a straight cant. Typically, I like 20 degrees of cant. It's not that big of a deal. I can just push the beavertail of the gun forward over my shirt to readjust. I would prefer a good kydex holster that had big wide soft loops that would hold it at a fixed cant, but I don't see much of a need to have one made. I'm very picky with belts and even pickier with holsters. Most holsters I've tried are garbage and aren't made for people that are actually going to carry them from before the sun comes up to after the sun goes down. My local kydex guy just sold shop and I'm waiting patiently till the new guy gets good at making them.

All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Milt Sparks. If I ever need leather again, I'll be going straight to them. Sure, there's other guys out there, but I'd rather pay extra to know what I'm getting is good quality. The Summer Special 2 is an excellent holster. It's almost a perfect holster. But not quite. Even though I have small gripes with it, I'm not searching to have another holster made for this gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#14]
1911 are great guns, but I would never carry one. So many better options out there that have a higher capacity, and aren't SA only.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info on the Milt Sparks.  It's actually been in my thoughts for usage in place of my current setup.

I know you were thinking about possibly getting another 1911 or Stacatto product to train/use in addition to the Les Baer.  While I would personally just run the Thunder Ranch, buy more ammo, attend more training with the gun, I'm not in your shoes!

With all that said, have you seen the Stacatto R?  Single stack, lighter than normal 1911 in, full GOV size, with rail.  If you are looking for a second 1911 to carry/run/train with, that might be something to look into.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#16]
My Milt Sparks ss2 will not accept my mc operator. You can order them for a railed gun though.

I dont find the ss2 to move as much as RB. I do like that you can adjust it a tiny bit when sitting for comfort. Ive never had to adjust it while standing.

I ordered a Town and country 2 from Ryan Grizzle for my m19 and prefer this style. I find its a little easier to conceal and more comfortable with the belt loops not over the widest part of the gun.
Attachment Attached File

Going forward ill be staying with this style
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:03:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#17]
I'm almost always a fan of wider loops on a holster. I think it just stabilizes the holster and gun better. Also, as @03RN mentioned, it keeps the width down as well. That's a huge advantage also.

I shot the Glock 17 some this weekend. I was missing it some. It's so easy to shoot well. Now that I'm primarily shooting .45ACP. My 9mm stockpile has piled up quite a bit. The last 1000 rounds I have loaded doesn't fit in my last 9mm dedicated ammo can, so I need to catch up on my 9mm shooting.

I'm not making a decision on the next gun until the NRA convention. I'm considering just keeping what I got and getting another Dillon 750 or 1050. I've been considering getting a PVS-14 also. I know.... I'm loosing my mind, but I'm constantly bouncing around what to do next.

@BOSN1AC I don't necessarily disagree. I carried & practiced with Glock 19s and 17s for 10 years (since I turned 18). I think it's a great gun and I will always have a soft spot for them. I also have a soft spot for a good 1911. As stated before, capacity isn't everything to me. I nearly always carry spare mag. That's a difference between 17 rounds and 35 rounds (Glock 17 w/ extra mag). While 35 sure is a big number, so is 17 for a personal defensive scenario. Everyone has to draw their line in the sand somewhere.

@Winchester01 I have drooled over the Staccato R a lot. It's on my radar to check out at the NRA convention this year. My 'local' STI dealer is 2.5 hours away. Last week, they only had Gen1 'P's and 'C's. I'm really anxious to see the 2020 models.

Regarding training, I haven't done much this past week. Trying to focus on a few other aspects of my life. However, I got some time to practice. I'm currently saving for another class at Thunder Ranch next year and I may take a class closer to home this year. I don't shoot as much as I'd like, but I shoot about as often as I can. Practicing with the 1911 has helped a bunch, but I think a lightweight 1911 or a 2011 would be great as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#18]
After installing the sights and putting a little over 1200 rounds through it, it's nicely breaking in:
View Quote
which magazine base pads?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I carried my .45ACP HD Kimber most of the day Sunday.

The IWB Desantis with the leather backing is very comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#20]
@hrt4me   Those are 10-8 Performance magazine base pads. They're great. Kinda expensive and redundant, but cool none the less. It's always about looking cool.

Got some range time yesterday. Since I haven't posted a picture lately, here's two of my lovely ladies. We all know you guys just scroll through here and look at the pictures anyways. If anyone comes close to a Kahles optic, Stay Away From IT! You'll need one and realize whatever optic you're currently using is inferior haha.

Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
@hrt4me   Those are 10-8 Performance magazine base pads. They're great. Kinda expensive and redundant, but cool none the less. It's always about looking cool.

Got some range time yesterday. Since I haven't posted a picture lately, here's two of my lovely ladies. We all know you guys just scroll through here and look at the pictures anyways. If anyone comes close to a Kahles optic, Stay Away From IT! You'll need one and realize whatever optic you're currently using is inferior haha.

https://i.imgur.com/QZ3oqqF.jpg
View Quote
You shoot long guns lefty?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#22]
left-handed Defiance?
Deviant?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I actually come back for then shooting updates! The pictures don’t hurt though, I have the same time problem and with 3 kids my schedule is nuts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I actually come back for then shooting updates! The pictures don’t hurt though, I have the same time problem and with 3 kids my schedule is nuts.
View Quote
Ahhhh, good ole life!
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
My wife had my son up in nh visiting her sister last week. I shot 3 times while she was gone
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#26]
@civgunner Yes sir. I'm right handed, but left eye dominate. I shoot pistols right handed and long guns, especially shotguns left handed. I love shooting AKs, M1s, M1As, Mini14s because the manual of arms really appeals to left handed shooting. I'm fairly comfortable making shots weakside offhand with a rifle, but I really struggle when it's a moving target.

@hrt4me Yes sir. It's a lefty Deviant. It's an incredible rifle built by Issac Frank of Southern Indiana Precision. Chambered in 6x47 Lapua. I've seen nearly every type of action go down in matches (Surgeon, Curtis, Remington, Savage, Long Horn, Stiller), but the Defiance actions keep on trucking.

This Saturday I'll be going out to do some more shooting with a group called Brothers for Veterans. I'll post pictures of some more 1911 action.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#27]

My wife had my son up in nh visiting her sister last week. I shot 3 times while she was gone
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By ban-hater:

Ahhhh, good ole life!
Amen!

For sure, I do the same as long as I get home from work before dark shew!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#28]
@Fordtough25 I'm considering a PVS14 for that very reason! haha
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#29]
@Fordtough25 I'm considering a PVS14 for that very reason! haha
View Quote
Right on man! I would like some myself as I shot coyotes quite often at night. I use a red light currently that works very well but night vision would be amazing in so many ways, goals!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#30]
@civgunner Yes sir. I'm right handed, but left eye dominate. I shoot pistols right handed and long guns, especially shotguns left handed. I love shooting AKs, M1s, M1As, Mini14s because the manual of arms really appeals to left handed shooting. I'm fairly comfortable making shots weakside offhand with a rifle, but I really struggle when it's a moving target.

@hrt4me Yes sir. It's a lefty Deviant. It's an incredible rifle built by Issac Frank of Southern Indiana Precision. Chambered in 6x47 Lapua. I've seen nearly every type of action go down in matches (Surgeon, Curtis, Remington, Savage, Long Horn, Stiller), but the Defiance actions keep on trucking.
View Quote
I have Rem700, Defiance Deviant, Surgeon 591 and Curtis Axiom actions

which trigger do you like? I use Jewell and now TriggerTech...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By @hrt4me:

I have Rem700, Defiance Deviant, Surgeon 591 and Curtis Axiom actions

which trigger do you like? I use Jewell and now TriggerTech...
View Quote
I'm using a Jewell. I had one in my Stiller before I sold it. Pretty incredible trigger, they're just expensive. I've never tried a TriggerTech, but I've heard great things. Timney has never impressed me, but they're much stronger than the Jewells. I've broke 4 Jewells. Three were my fault, one was a heat treat issue. I did a micro-hardness study on it and they replaced it. I always carry a spare trigger with me when I shoot a PRS match. An over-pressured cartridge will blow back and destroy the trigger pretty easily. But the fragility is worth that perfect trigger pull.

I really wanted a Curtis action, but after seeing two of them break, I stuck with Defiance. I LOVE how quick the Curtis is. The Defiance is very close, but the Curtis is very impressive.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I had carried a Colt Combat Commander, New Agent, or various full sized 1911's since 1981. About 3 years ago I started messing with Glocks. I trained, competed, carried, and shot them HARD. I wanted to like them. But I gave up. They run, they work, but they don't fit my hand. Glocks are a great tool,but not for me. I have also fallen away from the 9 mm cartridge, after using my carry ammo on coyotes on our trapline.

Last week I sold them all, along with accesories. A literal Box Of Glocks.

I semi-retired my Combat Commander, and replaced it with a Springfield Champion Operator LW. I am still breaking it in, so it isn't cleared for carry yet, but I am back to LOVING my carry gun. Carrying a full sized Ruger 1911 until the Springfield proves itself.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve carried one flavor or another of 1911 for almost 30 years, and while I swap out for other pistols from time to time, somehow I always keep coming back.

Colt CCG, one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
I’ve carried one flavor or another of 1911 for almost 30 years, and while I swap out for other pistols from time to time, somehow I always keep coming back.

https://i.imgur.com/kddJSr0.jpg
View Quote
yes sir
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#35]

https://i.imgur.com/kddJSr0.jpg
View Quote
@doubleclaw Like your Colt swag! What model is that sir?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:13:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#36]
Originally Posted By JLS81:

@doubleclaw Like your Colt swag! What model is that sir?
View Quote
@JLS81 That is the TALO Concealed Carry Government Model, which came out in limited numbers several years ago, 2012, I believe.

Slim profile rosewood grips, Novak’s fiber optic front sight and extended thumb safety were the notable features on it, and I really wish they had made it a regular catalog item. It carries real nice, and it’s a hoot to play around with.

I added the Smith & Alexander arched checkered MSH, because I hate the flat plastic ones that everyone is putting on 1911s now.

My goal is to replace that checkered part with an arched grooved style MSH, because I like that retro look that it gives the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:26:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#37]
I switched over to the O-4091U Stainless Commander after a while, and I still carry it just about every day in a Comp-Tac MTAC. I’m currently casting about for a Milt Sparks VM2 in brown, to match my leather two mag pouch.

Added a Caspian stainless arched MSH, which matched the finish very nicely, and gave the pistol that classic 1911 look that just makes it feel so right in the hand.

The O1918 WWI re-issue was my first 1911 after about five years of carrying a Beretta 92FS Inox. It’s still one of my favorites, and shoots a lot better than the tiny sights would suggest.

Colt Rail Gun in black Cerakote. One of the early ones before the M45 frame, this pistol has been my match gun since around 2011, and I honestly don’t know how many rounds I’ve put through it. It’s a lot. I added a Smith & Alexander stainless arched magwell and finished it in Brownell’s Alumahyde black. The grips are box elder burl made by a guy on the old 1911 Forum, and they’re surprisingly grippy for having a smooth finish.

I carried this megachonk of a pistol for a while in an IWB, but the non-railed 1911 is a lot easier to live with, so I relegated this one back to my match shooting and swapped a set of VZ Operators onto it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#38]

@JLS81 That is the TALO Concealed Carry Government Model, which came out in limited numbers several years ago, 2012, I believe.

Slim profile rosewood grips, Novak’s fiber optic front sight and extended thumb safety were the notable features on it, and I really wish they had made it a regular catalog item. It carries real nice, and it’s a hoot to play around with.

I added the Smith & Alexander arched checkered MSH, because I hate the flat plastic ones that everyone is putting on 1911s now.

My goal is to replace that checkered part with an arched grooved style MSH, because I like that retro look that it gives the pistol.
View Quote
@doubleclaw She's a dandy! thanks for the info sir!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#39]
@doubleclaw I dig that Rail Gun! I've been considering one for a while. I've been disappointed in all the rail guns I've picked up. For some reason, I still want one (It's just a TRP with the features I actually want i.e. barrel bushing, fixed rear novak sight).

I shot some this weekend. I put about 300 rounds through my 1911s and about 500 rounds through my RMRed Glock 17. My conclusion of the weekend... I REALLY want a 1911/2011 with an RMR. I keep leaning more and more toward the 2020 STI Staccato P. I like the 4.40" barrel as opposed to the previous 4.15". Anxious to see them at the NRA convention. I'm in the middle with red dots. I see how they help, but it's a cost that really doesn't help me that much. For shooting past 25 yards, it's nice to know exactly where you're aiming, but it does not make up for a proper grip. The problem is that you don't need a good grip on the gun for you to shoot a red dot well. I think it could teach bad habits very quickly. Maybe I’m old school here, but I think all new shooters need to start using iron sights on both rifle and pistol. We see technology moving more and more towards dots on everything. While red dots help significantly, they can mask to make up for good marksmanship. While it is difficult to explain while pistol shooting. I think riflemanship should be taught with irons. Once irons are understood, then move on to an optic. Just my $0.02.

I will mention this… dots are everything for moving targets. I really suck shooting moving or on the move with irons.

Most of the range time was 15 - 25 yards on my 8in steel plate. Working from the holster. Focusing on a quick presentation and slowing down to make the shot. I get so excited, I just want to squeeze off a shot as soon as I get on target. I'm trying to focus on hits and not allowing myself to miss. It's easy to add speed. It's hard to add accuracy.

I did some drills up close 3 yards on full size targets. This is where I really find that I like a 1911 .45acp. Who cares if it has more muzzle rise. It points naturally enough to shoot without the sights and to run it as fast as possible.

I did some 50 yard slow shooting. I was surprised how bad I was handling the Glock trigger. I had quite a few bad trigger squeezes even when I was trying to pay attention. Again, my natural point of aim between the Glock and 1911 didn't change at all. Point and shoot. I am constantly surprised how easy the 1911 is at shooting a full size target at 50 yards. It's actually very doable. I struggle at 100 yards, but once I get my hold. I can do it fairly repeatable.

I got some good transition drills and work done with the AR as well. It's been a while since I really worked with an AR. I need to get back in the swing of working that safety. I'm used to that huge meat lever on AKs. I missed my AR. Especially behind a can.

Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I agree 1000% about learning on iron sights, accuracy is so much more of a tangible thing!! Also agree on 45 acp in a 1911 being fantastic on quick shooting close, such a superb platform!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:30:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#41]
So all this talk about 1911s and I've only got two of them. Funny that they're pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum. My Taurus and a Les Baer.

I got the Taurus the first year the PT1911 was released. I still remember the ad for it in the American Rifleman magazine. It was advertised as a $2000 custom pistol for $500. While I think that was a stretch. At the time, it had a lot of the features in a 1911 I liked. I wanted the replaceable sights, front strap checkering, ambi safety, front cocking serrations, good grip safety, beavertail, and overall I thought it was a great looking pistol. I got it when I was young and shot a ton of rounds through it. It’s been super reliable, but it really is not a refined pistol. It’s not super tight, it’s trigger is mushy, the factory guns had a HUGE billboard on the side of them. However, for the money they’re great guns. I think I got it brand new for under $500 with night sights. Hard to beat it, especially since it malfunctions as often as my Glocks.

Over the years I’ve cerakoted it a few different colors. When the Colt M45A1 was adopted. I really wanted one, but couldn’t afford one when I was in college. So, instead I cerakoted my Taurus to match the peanut butter M45A1s. I swapped the series 80 parts to series 70. I changed out the sights. I filed the side of the slide down with a whetstone to get rid of the billboard. And of course, new grips. I like it a lot, but I do wish it had a rail.

The worst thing I did was pick up a Les Baer after shooting the Taurus for so long. I’ve always liked the Springfields and Kimbers at the local gun store, but they never had anything on par with a Baer. Now that I own the Baer, I nearly feel repulsed just picking up the Taurus. It’s not a bad thing, but it’s the equivalent of hoping in a 1970s pickup after driving a brand new F250. There’s things you still like about it, many things are nearly identical, but there’s just some refinement that you kinda miss.

Either way, I picked up the Taurus and first round hit a full size IPSC target at 50 yards. I was pleased with that. I started to wonder why I even bothered owning a Baer. Then I shot the Baer and lost my train of thought haha.

By the way I love the looks of a well used 1911. Don't bother posting a pic saying it's your every day carry when there's no holster wear! Let's see those well used tools!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

Ive been pleasantly surprised at how rugged the parkerizing is. Countless draws from kydex have only shined up a few edges.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG1440_JPG-1108079_jpeg-1262653.JPG
Ive been pleasantly surprised at how rugged the parkerizing is. Countless draws from kydex have only shined up a few edges.
View Quote
Same with my SA Mil-Spec. Not countless draws but I am able to return it to the same original condition by scrubbing the shiny spots with a nylon brush and a little oil. I think the holster is actually rubbing off on the slide.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#44]
@x_red_beard_x

Thanks, man! I’ve heard good and bad things from various places about the CRG, but I can only speak from experience with mine, and it has been an absolute blast to own, carry and shoot.

I’ve dragged mine through thick mud, shot it in rain, dust and with all sorts of ammo from match grade to WWII ball ammo I found in a shed. She hasn’t skipped a beat.

If you decide to grab one, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. It’s a helluva nice gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

Ive been carrying her more often since this thread started. Shot a couple hundred this morning. I pretty much only shoot from concealment doing moving, drawing, reloading drill anymore.

Wish i recorded some of it. I nailed my 8" steel one handed running full out to cover at 12 yards.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#46]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20200205_100400_jpg-1264392.JPG

Ive been carrying her more often since this thread started. Shot a couple hundred this morning. I pretty much only shoot from concealment doing moving, drawing, reloading drill anymore.

Wish i recorded some of it. I nailed my 8" steel one handed running full out to cover at 12 yards.
View Quote
Nice! I need to record myself shooting, scared to see it but it'll be worthwhile I know.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#47]
I posted some of this elsewhere, but this seems like a good place to repeat myself.

I was always a 1911 guy. Issued one in 1981 as a 95B, and loved them ever since. I owned several, and carried a Combat Commander for years.

A few years back I started taking training seriously, and also IDPA (less seriously). Being an open minded, non know-it-all, I tried Glocks, and ended up with 3 of them. They worked. Never jammed, easy to maintain. But I never really liked them.

A few weeks ago I sold all my Glocks. A box of Glocks. Gone. Great tools. But not for me.

I had been back to training/IDPA'ing with my 1911's again for awhile, so carrying one again was awesome.

I ordered a Springfield Champion Operator....LW with a rail...for my new carry gun. I have just recently run enough rounds through it to call it "carry qualified" (about 400, I think).

Interestingly, my son came to me and wanted to talk about handguns. He doesn't train/compete, although he will. He is more of the "50 rounds at the farm on Saturday" shooter. I had bought him a Glock in .40 for his 21st birthday. He came to me and said "I really don't like shooting this Glock, I really enjoy shooting your 1911's more". So I gifted him my old Combat Commander.

A good friend and I are gobbling up 1911 info as if we had never heard of them before...and we are both experienced shooters. I have literally had a 1911 around for 39 years....and every time I study something about them I realize how uninformed I am/was.

I think they take a little more thought to assure their reliability, but that thought/learning is pretty valuable. Glocks FOR ME (not judging) created a lazy complacency....they work, so I didn't "learn them".

I never say never..and in the words of Clint Smith, we should be students of weapons....so being able to run a Glock is valuable.....but I think I am done with them in favor of the good old 1911.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#48]
@TradWoodsman That’s great advice. I have a soft spot in my heart for Glocks. I probably always will since I grew up with them. However, I was getting bored and wanted to learn something new. My father and I have both started carrying our 1911s more. I always enjoy shooting with my father. That's great you get to shoot with your son!

@ I have struggled to get my trigger finger working well when shooting on the move with the 1911. I LOVE the mushy long travel of the Glock trigger when trying to move and shoot. However, I think it's an obstacle that training will get me over.

Another evening carrying the Baer. It's raining here in Indiana. Gloomy days are great to spend time with the wife and get some reloading done. I'm planning on upgrading my Dillon 550 to a 750 shortly. I've loaded over 10,000 rounds in the last 5 months on the 550. I'm really ready to get a case feeder haha

More pictures to come!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I’m not the hero like other guys in this thread. I carried a 1911 for all of 3 months before I switched to the much lighter and thinner M9A3 Type G
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#50]
@NoDakWolfPack I've owned a lot of different pistols over the years, but I've never owned a Beretta. I've always liked the looks of the M9, especially after watching Die Hard. Maybe, I'll own one some day. I really hate the DA/SA triggers. I have a hard enough time with one or the other, I never could get used to having both. I just haven't practiced enough. I sold my P226 and SP-01 before I ever got used to the DA/SA. I'd love to have one just to have as a range gun, but it's hard for me to own a pistol that I don't carry.

Maybe I'll try to carry a M9A3 for next years test haha
Page / 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top