BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
So did I make out on this one?  Interweb says made 1945.  
Inside looks news and shot very little.  Has a couple storage/carry dings on the outside.  

https://i.ibb.co/TPFQMgw/IMG-2266.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/fXKf2zL/IMG-2264.jpg
View Quote

Looks great, what grade? Service?
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else having issues with the CMP Forums?
I'm having a hard time to even get it to open.
Trying to keep up with the RGN's being called to figure out
an approximate timeframe for getting the call.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By pasquale91:
View Quote

It's been down for about a week.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By METT-T:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By METT-T:

Which might be a good reason for folks to be polite on here, and clue us in on their RGN when posting the pics of the gun they just got.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pasquale91] [#5]
Forum was up and running this evening.
Last contact report post, 43127 was contacted this afternoon . All grades except range available.

I have about 870 to go..
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I never got an RGN but got the call two weeks ago. Unfortunately I told them that I'd have to pass. I'm still dealing with the aftermath of a storm from July.

Hopefully they open it up for a 5th round .
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks great, what grade? Service?
View Quote

That was in 2019, I don't remember!  It was the highest grade of whatever they said was available when they called.  

I have a theory that if you use military ID to mail order a gun from CMP you will often get a better than average gun.  
I included a note in my paperwork with a sad-sack story about how I missed round 1 because I was deployed and couldn't get my signature notarized and that if I was lucky enough to get one (in round 2) I'd love to have a matching colt frame/slide.  
So I got a matching colt that is basically brand new!  

I'm still undecided if I want a second - sounds like I've got a couple months to sleep on it as my number this time is 47138.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 5:27:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Middlelength] [#8]
Anyone have any luck discussing what the options are with them when you get the call? I.e. looking for complete Colt, or complete Rem, or USMC pistol, etc?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I asked in round 2 when they called if they knew even what manufacturer it would be, the ladies on the phone don’t see the guns.  They were very adamant when the 1911 thing started that it was random and you have no say other than picking a grade.  

See my post above, I wrote a note on the xerox of my military ID to the effect of “frame/slide from same manufacturer in any condition if possible please” and got what I asked for.  Correlation vs causation?  That could’ve been a coincidence though.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By glenn_r:
Rack grade received about 10 days ago.  Colt slide & frame, not sure about barrel.  Sights are banged up, finish is worn, but I'm happy.  I'm not a 1911 guy--what are the signs it's actually a Colt frame?
View Quote

Update: received my FOIA.  Am I reading this correctly, it was sent to CMP/Anniston from the NSWC/Crane?  If so, I wonder what it was doing there, and what it did before that.  Any way to find out more?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By glenn_r:

Update: received my FOIA.  Am I reading this correctly, it was sent to CMP/Anniston from the NSWC/Crane?  If so, I wonder what it was doing there, and what it did before that.  Any way to find out more?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31164/Colt_1911A1_FOIA_png-3080478.JPG
View Quote

Looks like your 1911 came from the Navy. Submit a FOIA request there. Heads up though, it takes 3/4 months.

[email protected]

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kfs35] [#12]
I got the call for Round 4 yesterday. RGN 43227

I was offered Service, Field or Range grade. I picked Field this time, got a Service in round 1.

ETA
Round one service grade pics.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#13]
43,331 called yesterday afternoon over on the forum.
Hopefully within 2-3 weeks for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MCFC:
Looks like your 1911 came from the Navy. Submit a FOIA request there. Heads up though, it takes 3/4 months.

[email protected]
View Quote

Submitted last week, thank you!
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked up my round 4 Field Grade today.

It’s a Remington Rand frame and slide. Anniston rebuild, with some finish wear on the frame, which is what I assume put it field grade.

It was dry as a bone, so I gave it a quick wipe with some CLP, and took these pictures. I’m happy with it!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:44:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pasquale91] [#16]
Originally Posted By kfs35:

It’s a Remington Rand frame and slide. Anniston rebuild, with some finish wear on the frame, which is what I assume put it field grade.

It was dry as a bone, so I gave it a quick wipe with some CLP, and took these pictures. I’m happy with it!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262156/IMG_2187_jpeg-3091867.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262156/IMG_2188_jpeg-3091868.JPG
View Quote

Nice!
Hoping to get the call in the next 2-3 weeks at the rate they're going.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By kfs35:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262156/IMG_2187_jpeg-3091867.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262156/IMG_2188_jpeg-3091868.JPG
View Quote

Rebuilt twice,once at rock island then later at Anniston. You can see the small RIA stamp behind the Anniston stamp
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
43509 contacted today.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Getting close!

My FOIA request on my Round 2 pistol is over 2 months. How long do these take?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:
Getting close!

View Quote

Army or Navy request? My Army FOIA request for my round 4 took 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JohnRippert:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnRippert:
Getting close!

Yep, Navy takes longer.  I'm a little over a month and a half on my Navy request.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Is there any word on how many calls go out a week? I'm just trying to figure out how much longer I have.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Getting close!

View Quote

My Army FOIA's were just a few weeks.  The Navy FOIA's took a few months.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Can someone post the army foia email so I can send it to them? Looks like I sent it to the Navy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Got the call today! Requested field grade. RGN 43,663.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:12:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeBud] [#26]
Can someone post the army foia email so I can send it to them? Looks like I sent it to the Navy.
View Quote

Here is some info on that. There is a form they would like you to use. Their email is at the bottom.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

43668. Also requested field grade
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Field grade arrived today. Remington Rand frame and Colt slide. Despite how bad the slide is worn the frame to slide fit is pretty tight. I really wanted a range grade but am happy with what I got. If given the chance to buy another I would without hesitationAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my call today, but it is to late to ship out today.  I selected a range grade.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By inmyshadow:
I got my call today, but it is to late to ship out today.  I selected a range grade.
View Quote

Lucky
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Your pistol looks good.  As for luck,  we well see next week just how lucky I am.

Originally Posted By UsernameUnknown:

Lucky
View All Quotes

Lucky

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the call last week,  Picked up today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Green?  Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Lucky
View Quote

Your pistol looks good.  As for luck,  we well see next week just how lucky I am.

View Quote

Nice

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#35]
43756 was called on the 7th.  I'm still a couple thousand away.  Processing on this round seems a bit slower.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Fascinating. It would be interesting to see what the FOIA report says.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:32:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ege] [#37]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
43756 was called on the 7th.  I'm still a couple thousand away.  Processing on this round seems a bit slower.
View Quote

I don’t know if it was always like this for all rounds, but anecdotally it seems like a lot of 1911s might be getting returned as undeliverable, which could slow things down. Apparently the contract CMP has with FedEx says that they can only make one delivery attempt to the FFL, then it goes back to Anniston. Post-Covid, a lot of FFLs still have reduced hours and CMP does stipulate Tuesday-Friday, 9-5 business hours.

One of the FFLs around here said the local FedEx hub held a CMP 1911 overnight (FFL was closed) and when the driver scanned it to make the handoff the next day, the system wouldn’t let him. Gun ended up going back to CMP after being in the FFL’s hands.

The other thing is that CMP doesn’t give out the tracking number anymore, so even a conscientious FFL might have difficulty snagging it if they have reduced business hours.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ege:

I don’t know if it was always like this for all rounds, but anecdotally it seems like a lot of 1911s might be getting returned as undeliverable, which could slow things down. Apparently the contract CMP has with FedEx says that they can only make one delivery attempt to the FFL, then it goes back to Anniston. Post-Covid, a lot of FFLs still have reduced hours and CMP does stipulate Tuesday-Friday, 9-5 business hours.

One of the FFLs around here said the local FedEx hub held a CMP 1911 overnight (FFL was closed) and when the driver scanned it to make the handoff the next day, the system wouldn’t let him. Gun ended up going back to CMP after being in the FFL’s hands.

The other thing is that CMP doesn’t give out the tracking number anymore, so even a conscientious FFL might have difficulty snagging it if they have reduced business hours.
View Quote

I understand that CMP has strict rules about their delivery, but it's a bit overzealous.

If the FFL happens to be out at lunch, then the pistol gets sent back to CMP.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sf46:

Green?  Interesting.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sf46:

Green?  Interesting.

Sure is.  Worth a FOIA request.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Suppo:

I understand that CMP has strict rules about their delivery, but it's a bit overzealous.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Suppo:

Practically speaking, I suspect the problem is mitigated by FedEx drivers and FFLs generally having good communications.

It’s also worth saying that I don’t know if the one-shot-at-delivery thing is at the prompting of CMP or FedEx. If I had to guess it’s FedEx? But then again, if a CMP pistol ended up stolen and used in a crime that could have strong negative implications for the whole program.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Practically speaking, I suspect the problem is mitigated by FedEx drivers and FFLs generally having good communications.

It’s also worth saying that I don’t know if the one-shot-at-delivery thing is at the prompting of CMP or FedEx. If I had to guess it’s FedEx? But then again, if a CMP pistol ended up stolen and used in a crime that could have strong negative implications for the whole program.
View Quote

It's CMP.

I have a decent (enough) relationship with Fedex, and when CMP sends a pistol to us, I stay in nearly constant contact with the driver until they deliver the package.

It's crazy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: inmyshadow] [#42]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Well dang, it doesn’t look like the FOIA provided any insights unless there’s something I’m missing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Agreed

Well dang, it doesn’t look like the FOIA provided any insights unless there’s something I’m missing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

There are a lot of info on that FOIA for that pistol. You just gotta decoded it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Do they still offer a Range Grade?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Do they still offer a Range Grade?
View Quote

Yes, but it depends on what’s available the day you get the call.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Hopefully there is some data to be gleamed from my range grades FOIA.  There is a 13yr period with the pistol at Rock Island.  Maybe something happened there.

I'm waiting on my approval to the CMP forum so I can post over there.

Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:

There are a lot of info on that FOIA for that pistol. You just gotta decoded it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:08:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#49]
View Quote

I was finally able to pick it up. I love it!! Colt slide, RR frame, Flannery barrel. Does not look like it has ever been refiinished. ☆18 and ☆19 Keyes grips. Looks very original. 1945 dated frame. Ramped front sight, no sn under firing pin stop

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolomite] [#50]
1969GTX: WOW!

I 'should' be getting the call from Area Code 256 next week-ish.  (RGN 44267)

My preferences will be-
  1. Range
  2. Field
  3. Service
  4. Rack (which is what I received in Round 2)

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top