Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 71
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By INTrooper4255:
Does anyone know how much a Kings #201-A would go for?  I have a used blue one that is with the package that I am going to sell, but I don't know what they go for since they don't make them anymore?

Thanks!

pretty much what someone would pay for it..ive heard theyre not very good as far as ambi safeties go, but theyre what you need to build an accurate as possible clone...
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
MIM in the hardest running 1911's on the planet . . .
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MercuryHayze:
MIM in the hardest running 1911's on the planet . . .

which parts?
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Augee spoke to the Mag Catch being a standard SA MIM part on the version 6 pistol pictured.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Any parts that are MIM on the Pro would most likely be present, as would any MIM parts usually used by the Springfield Custom shop, don't have the exact components off top of my head, but I think there's little reason to believe that they'd be intentionally swapped out.  Certainly the FBI Pros seem to be doing well, even with some MIM in them.  

As for the King's safety, like others have said, it's worth whatever someone'll pay for them, I bought a couple not too long ago at $75 per set, IIRC.  The new Caspian thumb safety also looks similar, however, and could be a good substitute for someone wanting to build a clone.  The new Wilson Bulletproof, though not strictly looking similar, does use a very similar attachment method, as does the Kimber.  The dovetailed pin avoids the "walk out" problem that improperly fitted, or sometimes just plain "well loved" Swenson-stype ambis can sometimes have.  It also doesn't require special grips to use an ambi, and unlike the Colt-style safeties, the pin is neither exposed, nor do the pins have the same kind of asymmetric cut that can make the pin inherently weaker.

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Augee:
Any parts that are MIM on the Pro would most likely be present, as would any MIM parts usually used by the Springfield Custom shop, don't have the exact components off top of my head, but I think there's little reason to believe that they'd be intentionally swapped out.  Certainly the FBI Pros seem to be doing well, even with some MIM in them.  

As for the King's safety, like others have said, it's worth whatever someone'll pay for them, I bought a couple not too long ago at $75 per set, IIRC.  The new Caspian thumb safety also looks similar, however, and could be a good substitute for someone wanting to build a clone.  The new Wilson Bulletproof, though not strictly looking similar, does use a very similar attachment method, as does the Kimber.  The dovetailed pin avoids the "walk out" problem that improperly fitted, or sometimes just plain "well loved" Swenson-stype ambis can sometimes have.  It also doesn't require special grips to use an ambi, and unlike the Colt-style safeties, the pin is neither exposed, nor do the pins have the same kind of asymmetric cut that can make the pin inherently weaker.

~Augee

$70-75 sounds about right.
I bought a SS set for $70 directly from Kings a couple months ago, it was weird, I thought they were out of business. Probably NOS
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Can we get this thread 'stickied'?  I'm always looking for it - there's a lot of great info in here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Aint no SOC like a MEU SOC
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#9]
Wow, I thought by now these would be all but used up.  And I thought they would be moving on to something else.  I guess not!!!

Mine is a cop out.  If you take a Kimber Custom II and put some Pachmyrs on it, you get something similar looking on the outside as the ICQB pistol, sans the rail.  But I'm not sure if all of them had a rail or not.  But nevertheless, this is a very interesting thread and it's amazing that a pistol that is 100 years old is still soldiering on, even if it is in small numbers.  It's simply amazing.  

I do need a new MSH for this one and I would like to get one with a Lanyard Loop.  I'm not sure if I'll ever change the sights out or not, but I suppose it would make it closer like the real thing.  Although it will never be like the real thing.  I still like it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#10]
It's every bit as deadly as the real thing  
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JSGlock34:
Can we get this thread 'stickied'?  I'm always looking for it - there's a lot of great info in here.

It's now in your "Subscriptions" list.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MercuryHayze:
It's every bit as deadly as the real thing  

True.  Don't know if it would be as reliable though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Barrel W/link, pin & Bushing BAR-STO DBBL&P45

Does anyone know if this is the fitted "Match Target" barrel or the "Semi-drop in" Bar-Sto barrel?
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By INTrooper4255:
Does anyone know how much a Kings #201-A would go for?  I have a used blue one that is with the package that I am going to sell, but I don't know what they go for since they don't make them anymore?

Thanks!

Trying to send you an IM but you inbox is full.  Interested in buying if you still have it and want to sell it.  Could really use it on my build.  
Thanks

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone have anymore pics that they can share.  Love this pistol and building one right now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By USMC_Grunt:
Does anyone have anymore pics that they can share.  Love this pistol and building one right now.

This picture just does it for me.

I tracked down all the hard to find parts, and just bought a NM prefix Mil-spec to start my build.

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ugotbit:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/ugotbit/qyd1ue.jpg

This picture just does it for me.

I tracked down all the hard to find parts, and just bought a NM prefix Mil-spec to start my build.

i love this pic too...
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#19]
read that contract excerpt and something struck me funny- it lookled like those pistols were going to be around 1600 bucks each ! I would have thought the price to the usmc would have been a bit better!
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By captain127:

read that contract excerpt and something struck me funny- it lookled like those pistols were going to be around 1600 bucks each ! I would have thought the price to the usmc would have been a bit better!

The unit price likely also includes spares, tools, and some technical support/maintenance.

m

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:48:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warp_foo] [#21]
I've been reading this topic since the first post with a great deal of interest. I've been a 1911 collector for quite a while, and a MEU(SOC) clone was on my list.
Last fall I found a perfect base for Dave Berryhill to build on: A 1972 Colt MK IV Series 70 with a few bubba modifications.
Last fall,  my employer also sent me to work in the UK for one year. So, upon receiving the Colt, I contacted Dave and discussed what I was looking for. An 'Old Version' MEU(SOC) built on my pistol. It turned out to be good timing as well since some of the parts to build a true replica are no longer available.

Enjoy...
m

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#22]
VERY nice...thanks for sharing the pics...
Bill
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Anybody stamped their own parts?
I am thinking of doing it, but wanted to know where/what to buy for the numbers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By eternal24k:
I am thinking of doing it, but wanted to know where/what to buy for the numbers.

I know that the numbers are 1/16th.  Brownells, Midway USA should have some but I think that any hardware store might have some.  Id try on some scrap metal first before you actually do it to your gun.  Can be a little tricky if you havent done it so practice first.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By eternal24k:

I know that the numbers are 1/16th.  Brownells, Midway USA should have some but I think that any hardware store might have some.  Id try on some scrap metal first before you actually do it to your gun.  Can be a little tricky if you havent done it so practice first.

thanks,
the size is a good start. Definitely would not start on the goods without some practice
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Have any of the MEU(SOC)'s ever had the light rail on them?  I'm talking to a guy who does MEU(SOC) builds, but he won't build one with the light rails because the MEU(SOC)'s that he knows of do not have them.  I thought I saw some in this thread that had them.  If I'm wrong please tell me or if they do have the light rails, could you please point me to something official to show him so I could hopefully get one built with the rails.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 9:52:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSGlock34] [#28]
The Kimber ICQB used the Dawson rail and Surefire lights.  They are mentioned on page one.  They aren't MEUSOC pistols is the strictest sense, but are certainly a modern 1911 design used by the Det One Marines.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSGlock34] [#29]
I found a great deal on a NM serial numbered Springfield Armory Loaded PX9109L and have decided to slowly customize it into a MEUSOC style build...

So far I've added an Ed Brown GI recoil spring guide and plug, Wilson Combat Shok-Buff, Pachmayr Grips, flathead grip screws and substituted a Guncrafter Industries mainspring housing with an integral lanyard loop for the ILS (I know this isn't standard, but I had one in the parts bin and it seemed appropriate - for now).  I found the Loaded wouldn't lock back on an empty Wilson 47D with the SA slide stop (no such problem with CMC Powermags) - I've substituted an Ed Brown spare (though I may replace that with a Caspian unit).  Looks like that has solved the issue.

One note about the Pachmayr grips - page one indicates the part number is "Grips Pachmayer 692-545-145", but I found when I ordered this part from Brownells the grips came with a rubber 'foot' at the base of the grip.  The correct part is 692-545-245/Pachmayr part number 02921, a slight variation.

I plan to shoot it a bit and get a feel for the pistol before I make any major changes, but a trip to Bar-Sto to fit a match grade barrel may be in the future...
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Must be a day for MEUSOC news...

Marines Corps Times is reporting that the Colt Rail Gun and Springfield Armory MC Operator will compete for the M45 contract.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#31]
great post

tag for home
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Hmm...interesting picture in this thread over at 1911 Forum...

Note the bottom pistol - Springfield Armory with rail and magwell?
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anyone know where I can get the rear sight for the MEU(SOC) pistol.  I know that they were made in house at PWS.  I have the parts just not that one.  Hope some one can put me in the right direction with this one.  I really want this sight since I am wanting to build an older version.  I have talked with some guys on another forum and he doesnt have right now.  
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/ugotbit/qyd1ue.jpg

Link Posted: 2/4/2011 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#34]
How about Millet MKI rear sight? Very similar profile and SARCO still have some.
http://e-sarcoinc.com/451911combatsightsetmillet.aspx
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Berryhill Custom specializes in MEUSOC style pistols.  Might be worth contacting in regards to sights.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Berryhill Custom specializes in MEUSOC style pistols.  Might be worth contacting in regards to sights.

I have talked with Dave Berryhill about it and he doesnt have any right now.  I like the Millett reatr sight, its close but not quite.  Im the kind that has to have the original but that might have to do until I can get one made.  Im still going to look and if anyone has one or know where I can get one please let me know.

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#37]

I have talked with Dave Berryhill about it and he doesnt have any right now.  I like the Millett reatr sight, its close but not quite.  Im the kind that has to have the original but that might have to do until I can get one made.  Im still going to look and if anyone has one or know where I can get one please let me know.

Did you try Sams Custom Gunworks
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ugotbit:

Did you try Sams Custom Gunworks

I already tried David Sams, I wrote him and he hasnt wrote back.  I think that I might need to call him instead.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#39]
This needs a bump.

The # R42FBL is a good Caspian number, for the serrated flat MSH. I recived mine yesterday and will get pics up asap. I was $37 shipped.

I also orderd the Millett combat sight set from Sarco, mostly for the rear sight as it has a similar profile as the in house PWS sights. I'm hoping it will work with one of the Millett stake on front's I have now.

I believe I have all the parts except for a Bar-sto and a fresh set of Pachmayr's. Need to find a smith to build this franken gun now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:05:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thumbtack] [#40]
God I want a MEU-SOC bad.  I have been bitten by the 1911 bug bad...  I now look at most pistols and say doesn't feel as good as a 1911.  Bad I tell ya, bad.

ETA:  Had to edit for spelling... had about a half a 5th of buffalo trace... little difficult to spell right now...
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 2:13:50 AM EDT
[#42]

great pic!
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By warp_foo:
I've been reading this topic since the first post with a great deal of interest. I've been a 1911 collector for quite a while, and a MEU(SOC) clone was on my list.

Last fall I found a perfect base for Dave Berryhill to build on: A 1972 Colt MK IV Series 70 with a few bubba modifications.

Last fall,  my employer also sent me to work in the UK for one year. So, upon receiving the Colt, I contacted Dave and discussed what I was looking for. An 'Old Version' MEU(SOC) built on my pistol. It turned out to be good timing as well since some of the parts to build a true replica are no longer available.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_SAvN2H_a_jI/TTTg6R4w5LI/AAAAAAAAAbI/ZNi8rDUF0JY/s800/_1000217.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_SAvN2H_a_jI/TTThAuB72AI/AAAAAAAAAbM/EFvwcxVDFPQ/s800/_1000218.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SAvN2H_a_jI/TTThI4ctd_I/AAAAAAAAAbQ/pJ8DyD7uT70/s800/_1000219.JPG

Enjoy...

m

That's a good looking gun. I love the classic serrations. I would love to have one almost just like that, even better if I make it myself.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:34:16 AM EDT
[#46]
I swear... one of these days I'll finish writing this!  

I've started "working" on a NM serialed Loaded as a "Variant 4" clone.  

Right now it's got an S&A checkered flat MSH with lanyard loop, GI recoil system, blackened barrel hood/tip and bushing, and King's 201-A safety.  And of course the requisite Pachmayr grips.  Probably not going to replace the barrel, at this point, and undecided about the beavertail.  An Ed Brown won't fit without leaving a gap due to the way SA cuts their tangs.  As it stands, it's pretty close to the SA built pistol from the photos I posted earlier, except that it has the "Loaded" style serrations, rather than the "Classic" serrations.  Will probably leave it more or less alone, except for maybe finding a checkered mag catch and slide stop.  Fitting a beavertail and changing the ignition parts for this one seems a little overboard, as there's nothing "wrong" with the stock parts for the moment; and there's precedent for SA parts being used.  

Trying to get much closer with my Variant 3 clone using a Milspec slide and Sistema frame, however that project is on hold for the moment.  

Would like to build an ICQB clone as well if I can stumble on a good deal on a Kimber Classic Custom.  Already have the Simonich-style coyote Gunner Grips, which other than the Surefire IMPL; seem to be the hardest parts to get for that project.  Will probably not bother with the IMPL unless I can find one at a reasonable price (fat chance!); and go with the X300 with Dawson adapter so I can be practical as well.    

If I could have whatever I wanted, I'd think about getting a Colt Rail Gun and having it Cerakoted like the recent trail pistol, too; but I think I've got enough irons on the fire in the "M45" category already.

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#47]
How many of these pistols are seen with the grip safety taped down?

There's one on the first page, but how many others are there?
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Probably far less now that they're using grip safeties with the speed humps on them.  The original Clarks didn't have that and would be more prone to not activating with some shooters.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#49]
not my ad but heads up on a kings 201a ambi safety for sale over at www.calguns.net   sorry but i can't post a link to save my life, just type kings 201a in the search box
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Bump to keep current.

~Augee
Page / 71
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top