Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2010 3:44:01 PM EDT
I've been thinking about replacing the MIM parts in my TRP and I was wondering which of them would have drop-in replacements.  As I understand the following parts are MIM: Hammer, sear, disconnector, slide stop, thumb safety, magazine release, firing pin stop, extractor, and ejector.

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotta ask, is it broke? I've shot a lot through mine and no issues with broken parts.

Having said that, hard to beat Ed Brown parts. Brownells has them in stock.

Hammer, Sear, Disconnector, and Thumb safety would all need to be fitted together and should be close if you get them all from the same mfg, in  my experience.

I don't know that anything will be a true drop in though, tolerances stack etc.

If you're going to do it yourself, and have never fitted 1911 stuff, I'd get the Ed Brown shop manual.

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
No way would I do it myself.  I'm not using my $1,300 gun as a learning experience.  That's why I wanna stick with parts (for now, anyway) that are drop-in.  But if that isn't possible I guess I'll have to settle for just an S&A magwell for the time being.

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure even "drop-in" parts for a 1911 have to be fitted by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.  It's not like an AR.

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about replacing the MIM parts in my TRP and I was wondering which of them would have drop-in replacements.  As I understand the following parts are MIM: Hammer, sear, disconnector, slide stop, thumb safety, magazine release, firing pin stop, extractor, and ejector.

I do not believe all those parts are MIM.
I think if memory serves me correct
Hammer, disconnector, sear, slide stop, and extractor are MIM

All hose parts need fitting or gunsmith instaled except the slide stop.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No way would I do it myself.  I'm not using my $1,300 gun as a learning experience.  That's why I wanna stick with parts (for now, anyway) that are drop-in.  But if that isn't possible I guess I'll have to settle for just an S&A magwell for the time being.  

You should already have known your TRP had MIM in it when you bought it.  Why go through the extra expense to replace parts that aren't broken?

Shoot it, and replace parts after they break.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You should already have known your TRP had MIM in it when you bought it.  Why go through the extra expense to replace parts that aren't broken?

^this^

Unless this is a  duty weapon I wouldn't bother. MIM parts can break, but it happens so infrequently that your chances of getting hit by a car on the way to your mailbox to pick up said replacement parts are likely higher....
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

^this^

Unless this is a  duty weapon I wouldn't bother. MIM parts can break, but it happens so infrequently that your chances of getting hit by a car on the way to your mailbox to pick up said replacement parts are likely higher....

My cousin was hit by a car when he was walking to the mailbox by his mom on her cellphone that is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure even "drop-in" parts for a 1911 have to be fitted by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.  It's not like an AR.  

Mostly true. cylinder and slide make pre-fitted sears and hammer kits.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't worry about it.

If you really want to de-MIM, I'd focus on the slide stop, thumb safety, hammer/sear/disconnector, and magazine release.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Springfield's MIM parts have a good reputation.  I have MIM in 4 of my 1911's and have not had a failure.  One of them has close to 10K rounds through it, I just maintain it well and keep good springs in it.

When you get close to 10K rounds in yours then I would think about having a gunsmith check it out and seeing if anything needs replaced until that time just shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I asked SA what parts are MIM in my Lightweight Commander and got no answer. Was told it would only use quality parts; MIM or not.  Not too many rounds through it but no problems. Wish I could send it to SA and spend a few bucks to have the MIM replaced. But, if it isn't broke...............

Nice grab with the TRP. Those are very sweet!
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly true. cylinder and slide make pre-fitted sears and hammer kits.

mostly true, but they only work if the holes in your frame are placed 100% correctly......
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 1:52:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way would I do it myself. I'm not using my $1,300 gun as a learning experience. That's why I wanna stick with parts (for now, anyway) that are drop-in. But if that isn't possible I guess I'll have to settle for just an S&A magwell for the time being.

You should already have known your TRP had MIM in it when you bought it. Why go through the extra expense to replace parts that aren't broken?

Because he absolutely can not stand having money in his bank account..... it mocks him and begs him to spend it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Many gunsmiths won't bother doing a trigger job on the Springfield MIM sear and hammer.   While the parts may be good enough for a mediocre trigger, or a good trigger that won't last too many rounds, most will recommend that you upgrade the sear and hammer if you want a great trigger that will last.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
No way would I do it myself. I'm not using my $1,300 gun as a learning experience. That's why I wanna stick with parts (for now, anyway) that are drop-in. But if that isn't possible I guess I'll have to settle for just an S&A magwell for the time being.

You should already have known your TRP had MIM in it when you bought it. Why go through the extra expense to replace parts that aren't broken?

Because he absolutely can not stand having money in his bank account..... it mocks him and begs him to spend it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I have replaced the Slide Stop and Extractor which are the most commonly broken MIM parts, with Wilson Bullet Proof parts.

They pretty much dropped in, and I have put 400 or so rounds through the gun since replacement.

These Wilson parts are expensive, but machined from bar stock, and are fantastically finished.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#18]
[

Quoted:
I asked SA what parts are MIM in my Lightweight Commander and got noanswer.

Springfield Armory doesn't make a Lightweight Commander.

[/quote]

Sorry all I mispoke. I'm sure most figured out what I meant. I have the Lightweight Champion. Springfield's "Champion" is a 4in. Not a 4.25in which is considered a "Commander".  The point of my post was to add that I contacted SA and asked about MIM parts.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Well see, here's the thing.  If this was something I was comfortable with doing myself I think it would be worth it to replace the parts.  But since almost all of them require fitting it probably wouldn't be worth it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top