Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2008 6:08:39 PM EDT
I am getting ready to start a Benelli M4 SBS project and I have a few questions.  But first this is what I want the end product to look like:

Who is the best choice to have the barrel cut down?

Where do I get the steel rod for the butt that will let me to fully collapse the stock?

What is the quality of the Mesa Tactical shell saddle?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I built one of those.

Mine runs on everything shell type I've fed it.

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
This style be a little easier to make and still keep a decent round count in the magazine tube. It would eliminate cutting and threading the tube as it uses the original tube minus the fake extension.

I think we got the same picture but you photo shopped yours into a really short SBS!!!

14" Benelli M4 CQB
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
WOW  

I gotta get me a 14" with C-More Railway Red Dot.

I wonder how she would fair at 50yds with some 12g slugs?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I can see its usefulness from a room clearing aspect.

However, I wish I had left mine stock. Probably going to sell mine soon.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats damn cool 220lgop!

As for the Mesa Tactical Shell carrier.

MAKE SURE YOU GET SOME GOOD QUALITY SCREWS TO REPLACE THE MESA ONES!

The actual shell carrier itself is VERY well made, and has a good fit and finish. But they provide very "soft" screws that may deform. I would say get one, but make sure to replace the screws (like 15 or 25 cents each)

The screws that you will need are: M4 x 0.7mm Metric flathead, 10mm length. Get some "unbreakable" carbon steel (hardened carbon steel) or a good quality stainless steel screw.
Even though they are harder than the allumnum they are threading into, the hardness will ensure they do NOT deform and keep the proper thread profile.

You can try going to your local hardware store, or you might try an online specialty nut & bolt house.

There was a thread where a guy had his fly off his Benelli M4, and pretty much all the thread holes had been ripped out.

As far as I can tell, Mesa has all but ignored the issue, so you'll have to get some good quality screws. I got some stainless steel ones from the hardware store, and they have been 100% even with one of the threaded holes in the reciever partially damaged.

As for the buffer tube, from what i hear its pretty hard to remove them from the type of thread locker they use, so it might be easier to get a machinist to mill the 2 "cutouts" into the buffer tube, and then put some cold blue or something on it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:31:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Guys,
Thanks for the input.  How do I contact Randall Behning and Joe Brincat?  Are they members, machinists, gunsmiths?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#7]

IIRC the mag tube needs 3.23" removed from it, then the cut end needs to be rethreaded for the mag nut.

The barrel needs to be cut down quite a bit.  Sit the mag tube nut on the forearm hanger and measure to see how short you need it.  You want the barrel to be even with the mag tube nut or slightly ahead.

You will have to remove some coils from your mag tube spring.  It will hold four 2 3/4" shells in the tube if you do it correctly.

I use a black o-ring that fits over the threaded portion of the mag tube, which the mag nut cinches down on and is held snug.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
boomfab,
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Tactical_T:

I would imagine the Benelli would have great slug accuracy at 50 yards.  My 14" Remmy 870 will knock down steel poppers at 100 yards with slugs first time every time.  I have a Trijicon ReflexII mounted on mine.

MadDog
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
*snip*

IIRC the mag tube needs 3.23" removed from it, then the cut end needs to be rethreaded for the mag nut.

The barrel needs to be cut down quite a bit.  Sit the mag tube nut on the forearm hanger and measure to see how short you need it.  You want the barrel to be even with the mag tube nut or slightly ahead.

You will have to remove some coils from your mag tube spring.  It will hold four 2 3/4" shells in the tube if you do it correctly.

I use a black o-ring that fits over the threaded portion of the mag tube, which the mag nut cinches down on and is held snug.

www.boomslang.us/images/2107.JPG

Boomfab, you're making me want to spend a lot of money

That is arguably the coolest shotgun i have ever seen!

Edited to remove contact info.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I LOVE SBS Benellis.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to love mine in about 2 months
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I just received an email from Randall and unfortunately he isn't doing anymore SBS Benellis; any other recommendations on who might do the mods?

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#14]
deleted
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thats damn cool 220lgop!

As for the Mesa Tactical Shell carrier.

MAKE SURE YOU GET SOME GOOD QUALITY SCREWS TO REPLACE THE MESA ONES!

The actual shell carrier itself is VERY well made, and has a good fit and finish. But they provide very "soft" screws that may deform. I would say get one, but make sure to replace the screws (like 15 or 25 cents each)

The screws that you will need are: M4 x 0.7mm Metric flathead, 10mm length. Get some "unbreakable" carbon steel (hardened carbon steel) or a good quality stainless steel screw.
Even though they are harder than the allumnum they are threading into, the hardness will ensure they do NOT deform and keep the proper thread profile.

You can try going to your local hardware store, or you might try an online specialty nut & bolt house.

There was a thread where a guy had his fly off his Benelli M4, and pretty much all the thread holes had been ripped out.

As far as I can tell, Mesa has all but ignored the issue, so you'll have to get some good quality screws. I got some stainless steel ones from the hardware store, and they have been 100% even with one of the threaded holes in the reciever partially damaged.

As for the buffer tube, from what i hear its pretty hard to remove them from the type of thread locker they use, so it might be easier to get a machinist to mill the 2 "cutouts" into the buffer tube, and then put some cold blue or something on it.

use allen head screws and custom grind the outer OD of the heads to fit the wells

throw some blue locktite under the rail and on the threads.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#16]
deleted
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]
FYI to anyone reading this post.  WARPED - AKA Randall B., screwed me and another AR15.com member out of alot of money with his shoddy benelli work.  He promised the Mods he would refund my money.  He never did.  Do not use this quack for any type of work.  He is 100% dishonest.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#18]
SBS an M4 is going to be a challenge, but it can be done. This certainly isn't going to be as easy as sawing a barrel. Let us know how it turns out with some pics. Getting a stock for the M4 right now may be tough they go for about $600 on gunbroker. I have seen the tube sell for $200 on gunbroker before too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#19]
That Benelli looks awesome im jealous.
To bad we cant SBS in Michigan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top