Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2011 11:50:21 AM EDT
What are your thoughts on this shotgun?
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Have heard they are an 870 copy? Would like to know if side saddles and mag extentions will fit?
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard the same, that they are a direct copy of the 870 and that almost everything that fits a 870 will fit the Pardner. I believe one of the things that isnt interchangable between the 870 and Pardner is the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Had 0 problems with mine, i heard the earlier models had issues.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think they are quite 100% interchangeable. I know the lifter is different, but I don't know if it's compatible.
I couldn't put a Remington wood forend on mine... it wouldn't fit over the action tube. They seem to be pretty
solid guns.

Sam
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Have heard they are an 870 copy? Would like to know if side saddles and mag extentions will fit?

Pardner is GTG.

Dont know about sidesaddles, but mag extension is not compatible IIRC.

There is a gunsmith that specializes in mod for them, incl. his own mag ext.

Try google, cannot remember who it is, right now.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just ordered a Mesa 4 shot side saddle, when it gets here I'll let you know if it fits or not
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you need to chop down the forearm so it doesnt bump the saddle on the down stroke, it does overlap the reciever a bit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The Pardner Protector is good to go.  It's an 870 clone, and everything but barrels is interchangeable between the two (something about the barrel lug being different).  That being said, some things might require some fitting.  I put a Hogue forend for an 870 on my Pardner and I had to file away some of the inside in order for it to fit.

If you read around, you'll see that you won't really find any negative reviews on the Pardner.  The only "negative" thing I've read is "But it's made in China!!".  It's heavier than an 870, though, if that matters to you.  But I guess that's what comes with something that's built like a tank.

Dicks Sporting Goods puts them on sale for $175ish sometimes.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pardner is GTG.
Dont know about sidesaddles, but mag extension is not compatible IIRC.

There is a gunsmith that specializes in mod for them, incl. his own mag ext.

Try google, cannot remember who it is, right now.

870 mag extensions are compatible.  They just don't sit flush on the barrel of a Pardner, like they would on an 870.  As for the guy making the custom, flush-fit mag extensions for the Pardner, his name is something like MAX100.  But, there's a lengthy thread on GlockTalk about how he's been taking people's money and not sending out the product.  If I can find it, I'll report back with a link.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Solid shotty for around 200 new.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Great guns, I shoot the piss out of mine and never clean it, never had a single problem out of it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Same gun as the Hawk982.
870 clone, only 870 parts that wont fit without modification is barrel due to the band being in a slightly different position, if you're willing to use a spacer then even 870 barrels can be made to fit.
I looked at both the pardner and the Hawk and settled on the Hawk due to the price and the fact that it comes with a decent ghost ring sight. Built like a tank, if somewhat heavy, action was a little stiff in the beginning but its smoothed out somewhat.
Its gone bang every time so far, about 300 shells through it.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/boggle23/th_100_1977.jpg
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Good gun.  As is the barrels are not interchangeable with the 870. Needs some mods.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think you need to chop down the forearm so it doesnt bump the saddle on the down stroke, it does overlap the reciever a bit.

I just got my Mesa sidesaddle today and installed it. No chopping needed but then again I did go with the 4 shot saddle, if I would have went with the 6 shot I would have needed to chop the forearm. Just an up date, I took the Pardner out today and shot about 150 rounds through it. I was quite surprised at the accuricy of un-rifled slugs at 50 yards with only a bead sight. All in all I'm very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#14]
What slugs did it like? mine shoots the Walmart value pac (remington?) about 8" left at 50yds.
It does like the Federal Personal Defense w/ flightcontrol wad 00buck.  All 9 pellets in the vitals (about 10" group) of man sized targets at 25 yds.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What slugs did it like? mine shoots the Walmart value pac (remington?) about 8" left at 50yds.
It does like the Federal Personal Defense w/ flightcontrol wad 00buck.  All 9 pellets in the vitals (about 10" group) of man sized targets at 25 yds.

Ill have to see if I can find some of the empty boxes... I think it was Remington though (Slugger I believe is what it was called).
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Gander Mountain is running these on sale again for 199 if you have one near you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I hadn't really heard of these until one of my adjunct instructors picked one up today. We'll be putting it through the paces later this week, and I'll bring back a range report.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#18]
My adjunct instructor, John, actually bought a 20 ga Pardner Compact with a synthetic stock, NOT a Protector. I cocked an eyebrow at it when he pulled it out of the case, I have to admit. It's pretty heavy, and even though it's an 870 clone it's not completely built like an 870 - I would have to guess based on the design that there's not a lot of interchangeable parts.

We started the day by checking zero with slugs at 50 yards. The Pardner did okay - not amazing but easily combat accurate. Then we moved on to some patterning with buckshot - the Pardner again did okay but not amazing. I would not take it to 25 yards if I had any potential collateral damage behind it, though, but that's also due to the load John was using - bigger shot and a higher quality load probably would be a better choice. All slugs and buckshot were Remington, and buckshot was 3" #2 buckshot.

Then we went into loading drills, movement, alternate positions, etc. We ran about 200 rounds, some of those very, very fast, and the Pardner didn't have any issues. Once during a loading drill there were some hiccups, but John thinks he was short stroking the slide, so I'll chalk that up to user error. Other than that, I was impressed by this little shotgun. And of course, my 870 ran like a champ, as always.

If you have a limited budget, I would recommend this shotgun - I think he paid $170 OTD.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My adjunct instructor, John, actually bought a 20 ga Pardner Compact with a synthetic stock, NOT a Protector. I cocked an eyebrow at it when he pulled it out of the case, I have to admit. It's pretty heavy, and even though it's an 870 clone it's not completely built like an 870 - I would have to guess based on the design that there's not a lot of interchangeable parts.

I've never handled one, but if it's anything like the Protector, everything but the barrel will interchange between it and an 870.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I took a parts from one of my 870 wingmasters and put them in my pardner. A lot of parts are interchangeable but as was said before, the barrel is not.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#21]
It looked like swapping a stock would be a problem since the trigger group set farther back, and I have read that the 870 mag extensions won't work on a Pardner. Unfortunately since this Pardner is a 20ga, we weren't able to test with my mag extension, but John ordered a Wilson mag extension to test out because the guy at Wilson had no idea if it would work or not. He also had to do some metal removal on an 870 GG&G single point sling plate to get it to work right. That's all we've discovered so far.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It looked like swapping a stock would be a problem since the trigger group set farther back, and I have read that the 870 mag extensions won't work on a Pardner. Unfortunately since this Pardner is a 20ga, we weren't able to test with my mag extension, but John ordered a Wilson mag extension to test out because the guy at Wilson had no idea if it would work or not. He also had to do some metal removal on an 870 GG&G single point sling plate to get it to work right. That's all we've discovered so far.

Mag extensions work, but they just don't fit flush to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent - thanks for the info. Some of the cheaper 870 mag extensions, like the TacStar, specifically stated that they didn't work. Once the Wilson comes in and John gets it put on, I'll post it up here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#24]
curious about the mag extensions
these are $150 I believe at walmart,I thought about getting one for my dad and for my brother.they are both pump gun challenged at the moment
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
curious about the mag extensions
these are $150 I believe at walmart,I thought about getting one for my dad and for my brother.they are both pump gun challenged at the moment

Mine was $160 at walmart, but it has the 28" barrel. $160 is a good deal for a shotgun built this well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
As, Rizzo has already said, I just picked one of these up. It was $173 OTD. The GG&G mount took a bit of work to make fit, but it is on there. If you are going to pick one at WalMart make sure that you do not get the Compact version. Mine is, and the length of pull is a little short for me.  I will try to a pic up on here soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top