Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2011 6:24:58 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I have a Benelli M4 on the way and I have to say I am bloody excited!!
Anyways, I'm somewhat strapped for cash atm but I would still like to buy some upgrades. I am either going to go with an Aimpoint T1 or a few accessories like sling, shell holder, charging handle, etc. What would you guys suggest? Optic or a few accessories first? What other upgrades would be good for the M4?

Cheers
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/CaPpedDoG/DSC_5504.jpg
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is what I did to mine, and so these are my recommendations.

Dump the out of spec rail on top.  Replace it with the Mesa Tactical shell side saddle with integrated rail.  
Goto carrier comp online and get the full length titanium tube (if legal for you)  and knurled  charging handle.  

For optic, the Aimpoint T1 Micro is great on this shotgun.

I think that is a good start.  Light mount and light and perhaps a new forward railed hand guard will probably be a later desire.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here is what I did to mine, and so these are my recommendations.

Dump the out of spec rail on top.  Replace it with the Mesa Tactical shell side saddle with integrated rail.  
Goto carrier comp online and get the full length titanium tube (if legal for you)  and knurled  charging handle.  

For optic, the Aimpoint T1 Micro is great on this shotgun.

I think that is a good start.  Light mount and light and perhaps a new forward railed hand guard will probably be a later desire.

I would disagree on the Mesa Tactical unit.  They have been notorious for stripping the screw holes in the receiver.  The supplied screws do not mate well with the Benelli threads. Under recoil with shells mounted in the Mesa, the weight will strip the threads. You'll notice when the Mesa Tactical shell holder starts to wobble or falls off entirely.

However, the factory top rail is out of spec. Carrier Comp makes a great replacement rail.

Be wary of the oversized charging handles as well.  While they work and fit for the most part, the additional weight of a steel unit will slow the action down noticeably. Titanium is best material to seek as long as it is the same weight or lighter than factory.  Another issue with the oversized handles is a little too much grip surface and texture. They are easily ripped out of the carrier altogether under stress. This is true of all the oversized handles I've seen and used.

I would get your M4 into 922r compliance first.  Buy a Freedom Fighter Tactical foregrip and mag follower, then a US-made full length tube and a Geissele US-made hammer. This will legalize the full-length tube and get you close to legalizing the collapsible stock. Now noticing you live above the 922r smog in Canada...

Full length mag tube and Carrier comp replacement top rail, then lots of ammo. You don't need an optic.

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. What do you guys mean the rail is out of spec? It isn't mil-spec? Will I have problems mounting an optic in the future?

Unfortunately the law up here in Canada prevents me from getting a full length tube. I'm stuck with 5+1. Ugh!

I was looking into GG&G charging handles. I'll take a look at others too.

Are there any other good shell holders for this shotgun?
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. What do you guys mean the rail is out of spec? It isn't mil-spec? Will I have problems mounting an optic in the future?

Unfortunately the law up here in Canada prevents me from getting a full length tube. I'm stuck with 5+1. Ugh!

Yes, the factory top rail is NOT MIL-STD-1913 rail or picatinny spec. Some optic mounts work okay, others do not.  Carrier comp is within spec and GTG.

The GG&G handle is one of the heavier units and definitely slows down the cycle. If you feel you need one, go with titanium and confirm it is made to factory weight.

Not terribly fond of on-board shell holders, so cannot recco any.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]

The only top rail that is worth a shit is the carriercomp direct replacement unit. All of the others raise the rail higher than the factory height. This includes the SideArmor and the Mesa top rail. If you're dead set on a shell carrier, look at the 3gunner nylon style unit. I wasn't a fan of the Mesa one. The SideArmor was well made, but it is very heavy. The Tacstar is utter trash. You do not want to mount a lot of weight to the top rail. The five holes are threaded through relatively thin aluminum. They have a tendency to strip out when heavy optics or shell carriers are attached.

For optics, I've had good luck with the Aimpoint T1 on a LaRue low mount. This is only a viable option on the replacement top rail. If you mount this pair to the factory rail, it will destroy the LaRue mount within a few rounds.

While you're at carriercomp, do yourself the favor and order the following parts;
1. US Made Hammer
2. US Made Titanium full length magazine tube
3. US Made follower
4. Wolff magazine tube Spring
5. Titanium bolt handle
6. Replacement top rail

Ask yourself if you want/need a rail system on the forend for a light. If not, opt for the Freedom Fighter Tactical US reproduction handguards. If you want/need a light, opt for the Surefire M80 rail system. This in concord with the previous mentioned US Made parts will bring you into 922 compliance when using the factory collapsible stock. If you plan on mounting a light, do not use the 3, 6 or 9 o'clock positions to mount the device. This will interfere with your hand placement on the forearm. The only way I've found viable to circumvent this issue is to use the offset GearSector mounts to raise the mounted device above the grip plain. This also pulls the mounted item in close to the center-line of the weapon.

Other accessories that I like are the DMW oversized safety and the GG&G oversized bolt release. Meprolights makes a nice set of tritium night sights for the M4.

Nevermind the 922 compliance crap. Just realized you're in Canada. Leaving it for other readers though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

3 Gun Gear makes a good velcro side saddle. The cool think about velcro side saddles is that you can bring several strips of shells with you. Esstac makes these shotgun cards that will fit into standard AR-15 mag pouches.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top