User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:

I like this I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks

I had considered making this a more capable shotgun but it simply isn't worth the cost of having the work done when I have a decent pump gun to fill that role. This thing is a beater with a bad finish. I hadn't planned to do anything with it at all until I was inspired by this thread. Thanks for the reply
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

There are several kits out there that come with a tap/new bead. Just have to measure 3 times and drill straight but easy after that and like new!

Shotgun bead kit brownelled

I like this I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks

Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

Honestly, unless you just want it for short distances, I'd send it off to be chopped, crowned and threaded for choke tubes.  Mine was near worthless until I had it threaded; I keep an improved tube in it and it works well for shooting things from the tractor seat or rabbit hunting which are two of the main reasons I have it.  That said, depending on which type of front sight you buy, some of them index off the bead, some epoxy onto the bead or you silver solder or epoxy the sight on.  There are some styles that use a band/clamp style but I've never messed with any of them.

I had considered making this a more capable shotgun but it simply isn't worth the cost of having the work done when I have a decent pump gun to fill that role. This thing is a beater with a bad finish. I hadn't planned to do anything with it at all until I was inspired by this thread. Thanks for the reply

Changed your mind yet?

I didn't have any plans other than shortening mine up either but once I realized how handy it was I sent the barrel off and had it threaded (I think the guy was charging like $65 for forum members* and he had it back to me the same week).  Surprisingly, it quickly became one of my favorite guns just because of the light weight, how well it carries in the field, especially while rabbit hunting in tight brush, and the ability to handle various loads depending on what I'm doing, etc.  Even though it's "only" a 20ga, it still thumps pretty hard with 3" buck or slugs due to the light weight (I put Choate furniture on it to lighten it and the buttstock came with a buttpad and sling studs, it balances a little better and makes it a little more weather resistant; I also Duracoated it in some leftover HK Black I had- HK in the name had to double the value right? ).  I wish someone would make mini shells for the 20ga (and actually make them available); I really just need to buy a 20ga Lee Loader and roll my own.  I'll be the first to admit that I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.  

*Shotgunworld (Mike Orlen; no relation, just a satisfied customer) but Rose Action gives arfcom members a discount too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Now you are going to make me go drag my NEF Handi Rifle out of the closet and look at that slug barrel again. When I bought the rifle I sent it back for a .223 bull barrel and a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel with iron sights and chambered for 3-inch shells.  I put a box of birdshot through it and put it up. Might be an interesting project.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I kick myself for not buying at least one rifle and a handful of barrels when the barrels were like $50 from the factory- the .357 barrels for the shotguns are now apparently worth their weight in gold.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The Most Usable Shotgun In The World!!!!!........................ Maybe ??

Relevant to this topic!
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 4:05:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mick214] [#5]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6QhWZk01DU

Relevant to this topic!
View Quote

I’d have to agree with his assessment that the .38/.357 adapter is a good way to go. I’d also go with the rifled .410/.45 Colt as well.

We had a squirrel that was raiding our chicken coop a few weeks back…My .410 NEF shotgun took care of that little problem right quick!

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mick214:

I’d have to agree with his assessment that the .38/.357 adapter is a good way to go. I’d also go with the rifled .410/.45 Colt as well.

We had a squirrel that was raiding our chicken coop a few weeks back…My .410 NEF shotgun took care of that little problem right quick!

https://i.postimg.cc/d0BBsqWd/Chicken-marauder-is-DOA.jpg
View Quote

That's the two sets I have as well, very handy and useful!
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I had to break out the trio for an updated pic. Left to right, 12ga, 20ga and my .410:

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#8]
The budget breacher. Kept the barrel over 18" and OAL over 26" so I dont have to pay for a stamp that is twice the cost of the shotgun.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently picked up a Stevens model 94 in 16 gauge that I like a lot, But I'd like to find a chamber adapter from 16 to 28 gauge for it since 28 gauge ammo is always on the shelves here.

That particular adapter doesn't seem to be produced yet though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SmokeEater2:
I recently picked up a Stevens model 94 in 16 gauge that I like a lot, But I'd like to find a chamber adapter from 16 to 28 gauge for it since 28 gauge ammo is always on the shelves here.

That particular adapter doesn't seem to be produced yet though.
View Quote

@SmokeEater2

The only thing I could find
https://www.littleskeeters.com/product/16-to-28-gauge/
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 3:08:54 AM EDT
[#11]
One of my favorite guns. There was an older photo in the original thread. This is from a week ago.

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Since the other thread got archived- short video, the fun part starts about 1:40.  With a bit of practice you can can keep up a decent rate of fire as long as you have ammo on hand.  Protip- when using something like the H&R either cock your head or the gun to the side, they eject the shells with enough force to sting when they clock you in the forehead (the shells are bouncing off the brim of his hat in the video).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw
View Quote

That's THE best video Clint Smith ever made.
I won't give up the capacity of my 20" 590's because of my circumstances but i love this single shot shotgun thread. It's epic
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Brooklynite:
One of my favorite guns. There was an older photo in the original thread. This is from a week ago.
https://i.postimg.cc/02XbyVxD/03-EC290-A-1-D8-E-4583-A4-F0-66-B2-D8-DC5618.png

View Quote

That's ridiculously sexy
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes

https://i.postimg.cc/MTZZHxnP/yes-awesome-oldschool.gif

With that avatar, not surprising you’d like it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#18]

With that avatar, not surprising you’d like it.
https://i.postimg.cc/L6jK1KNM/7-B5-FA0-FD-526-E-4-DC5-A697-AE29858364-A3.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Powderfinger] [#19]
My sample in the old thread.
Stoeger breakdown 12 ga. with 3" chamber.
I cut it down for a planned wilderness excursion in British Columbia long ago. The minimum barrel length in Canada then was 18-1/2" so it's 18-3/4.
The stock is also shortened about an inch and a half.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Powderfinger:
I cut it down for a planned wilderness excursion in British Columbia long ago. The minimum barrel length in Canada then was 18-1/2" so it's 18-3/4.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74684/shorty_shotty_jpg-3028676.JPG
View Quote

That looks very cool!
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]

That looks very cool!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Powderfinger:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74684/shorty_shotty_jpg-3028676.JPG

That looks very cool!

Thanks!
I have the bead to replace but never did. How far you gonna shoot a cylinder bored 18"er.
I should do it though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I cut tree limbs off trees at our old house, 7 yards at least. I need to see how she handles a slug for knowledge.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#23]
The Shooters Box is having their black friday sale on their cartridge adapters

Black Friday Sale

Black Friday Sales Last All Weekend!

Happening right now, enjoy free domestic shipping or 10% off your entire order ALL WEEKEND!

Take a look at our new products and special items. We're a leader in chamber/caliber adapters.

I have one of their adapters for 9mm that lets me shoot 9mm out of my savage camper special.

Here is a shitty picture of a Wards Hercules (serial number dates it to the late 1930s) that I bought for $50 because it was missing a firing pin. I cut it to 19" and installed a big green front bead.  The firing pin was a crushing financial blow of about $10 dollars from Numrich Arms.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the chiappa m6 and love it. 6 inch fully rigid adapter for 38,9mm.40sw.44mag410.45acp. I can hit 6 inch gong at 100 yards all day with the 9mm and 45acp.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top