View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:
Originally Posted By mech4matsnova:
For the Old Heads

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349748/1000010327_jpg-3311528.JPG

Lots of memories!!!!

Is it setup correctly for a infantry/cav mount?  How would a medic/corpsman be set up?  I've been wearing it around thr house, it feels nice compared to a plate carrier(with the obvious drawback)
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Is it setup correctly for a infantry/cav mount?  How would a medic/corpsman be set up?  I've been wearing it around thr house, it feels nice compared to a plate carrier(with the obvious drawback)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:
For the Old Heads

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349748/1000010327_jpg-3311528.JPG

Lots of memories!!!!

You’re pretty close with it

Attachment Attached File

Only changes I have made from how it was set up when I was in is the pistol holster on the right. I had another mag pouch there I used as a GP pouch but could also flex up to 9 mags carried if I needed to. Some guys had them on both side to be able to carry up to 12.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I love seeing these rigs. It's a perfectly functional solution to the problem.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 7:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#5]
Originally Posted By wsix:
I love seeing these rigs. It's a perfectly functional solution to the problem.
View Quote

There is nothing wrong with a well set up set of ALICE gear if that's what you got.  It's what I started playing with as a kid.  Sure, there are (alot) of things that can be improved on it, but if you can get them dialed in, they work fine.

The two biggest improvements would be swap in a 6 point surplus PLCE harness and do a mod with a padded inner belt pad, either an older surplus one - US or British surplus, which are out there still - or a simple DIY version.  These can be done cheap and easy.

My biggest beef currently with the ALICE gear is that it's getting expensive to piece together a full set in good condition unless you run across someone selling or giving a set away cheap.  And alot of the pouches are pretty worn out - even the 'NIB' ammo pouches, the plastic tabs are starting to get brittle on alot of them, being 40 or so years old and old-tech plastic.  For the money you will spend on a full set of ALICE gear, you can get a full set of PLCE that just does it better.  If you could still find them super cheap - I pieced mine together as a kid, rummaging through bins of pouches and such at our local military surplus store over a few months every time I got some cash - I'd be far more inclined to suggest ALICE to people.  Heck I've still got a couple sets sitting around.

I'd like to see some hybrid ALICE / British PLCE gear setups.  I wonder if you can make the British utility pouches work on the USGI belts, or the ALICE ammo / buttpack work on the British belts?
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I've rebuilt all my gear with ALICE Y suspenders and molle for the rest. I never had an issue with the Y ones.. I actually just bought two new ones. The first new ones I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've rebuilt all my gear with ALICE Y suspenders and molle for the rest. I never had an issue with the Y ones.. I actually just bought two new ones. The first new ones I've ever seen.
View Quote

I don't know if we can be friends any longer wsix.  

Seriously though, I've got a few Y harnesses and an older H harness sitting around, trying to figure out what I'm going to do with them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

I don't know if we can be friends any longer wsix.  

Seriously though, I've got a few Y harnesses and an older H harness sitting around, trying to figure out what I'm going to do with them.
View Quote

Some people still carry 1911's.

I have so much gear laying around. Should I sell some...?
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

BUT IT'S AN EARLY GWOT EAGLE DROP LEG BERETTA 92 NYLON THIGH HOLSTER.
View Quote

I am not one of the collector crowd. I don't understand their motivations. Most of my stuff is just leftovers from my quest to get usable cheap gear. The fact I've spent enough over the years to buy a DZ rig seems irrelevant to my subconscious.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't get collectors either.

I mean, I KINDA do?  But not the expense and such they go to.

Most of my extra gear is stuff I've upgraded from over the years, or stuff I tried out and didn't like as much and it wasn't worth selling.  I give some of it away on occasion to guys getting into guns who don't have any gear to get them up and running.  Occasionally trade off something to a bro.  I do OCCASIONALLY pick up something interesting - got a new FLC for like $8 a few year ago.  I had a bunch of extra mag pouches, figured put them to use and it is an interesting piece.  Stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 11:19:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DChimichanga] [#12]
I'm a collector.  I collect (buy) stuff so I can try it, then once every few years I get a table at a gun show, or flea market, to sell all the stuff I either didn't like, or no longer have a use for.  In fact, I'm doing it again this weekend.  I'll probably spend more buying even more shit that I probably won't like/use, than what I sell of shit I don't like/use.    

I probably could be getting this shit for free by doing gear videos and reviews all these years, well, yeah, call me a boomer, an idiot...hell I eat crayons.  It's not that I don't have the tech skills, hell, I'm one of the guys who helped AlGore invent the internet.   I'm just not photogenic, not well-spoken verbally, and can't take a picture to save my ass, let alone shoot video.  The biggest reason tho, is that I just don't have the time.  I like to spend my precious "spare" time doing shit with the stuff I "collect".
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:38:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DChimichanga:
I'm a collector. .
View Quote

It doesn't sound like you are the kind of collector I was referring to.

Some folks collect very specific gear that represents an exact battle or some shit. They will pay $400 for a small pouch if it was the same pouch that was issued at a certain time and carried on a specific operation.

If it has SeAL blood on it, that doubles the value to these folks. I only know about it from searching for surplus gear on Ebay.

You sound like you are just one of us that has too much gear.

Collections are on display. Gear hoarders have closets filled with shit.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#14]

It doesn't sound like you are the kind of collector I was referring to.

Some folks collect very specific gear that represents an exact battle or some shit. They will pay $400 for a small pouch if it was the same pouch that was issued at a certain time and carried on a specific operation.

If it has SeAL blood on it, that doubles the value to these folks. I only know about it from searching for surplus gear on Ebay.

You sound like you are just one of us that has too much gear.

Collections are on display. Gear hoarders have closets filled with shit.
View Quote

I was trying to be non-self-loathing and not call myself a gear ho.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#15]
The one thing I do actively collect is camouflage patterns.  While I prefer actual uniforms, I'll settle for even a simple sample swatch of an interesting camo.  That's probably the easiest way to collect them actually.
Page / 23
Next Page Arrow Left
ALICE Gear Setups (Page 23 of 23)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top