Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2011 5:41:07 AM EDT
I just got one of the FLC vests coming in..

The Mag pouches I ordered (all in Coyote Tan):

Double 762 Mag holder (holds 4 mags)

Triple 556 Mag holder (holds 6 mags)

Double 556 Open-Top holder (holds 2 mags.. using for my 20 round AR mags)

Double 9mm holder (holds 2 mags)

**Option A layout.. with 9mm holder up on chest and INVERTED..:

**Option B layout.. with the Open-Top Dbl 556 holder with two 20 round mags..:

Which layout should I go with???

oh, and Happy 4th..

Al
US Navy Vet  88-92..
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Assuming you are right handed, I would put as many of the mags as possible on the left (weak) side of the vest.

Other "stuff" (utility pouches, fist aid, etc.) is typically carried on the strong side of the vest.  Even the first pouch right of center is hard often hard to get at and you won't be able to get at it prone.

Rifle mags usually don't work so well mounted high due to the clearance required to withdraw them...so I would go with "A" if it were me.

You can also mount double pouches upside down with a single mag fairly far around the left side and still get at them should you need more space; right side up and you don't have the dexterity to pull them up/out behind your back.

That said, you will most likely have to do something to even out the load by putting something on the left side.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Why are you mixing 7.62 and m4 mag pouches?
I'll tell you right now, you may be able to jam m14 magazines into an m4 pouch, but 7.62 pouches don't hold m4 magazines well at all.

Are you going to have any sort of ifak/blowout kit?
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The 762 Pouches will be on my RIGHT just beyond the center zipper for my DPMS 308.. which is my LONGER RANGE beast w/scope..

DPMS 308..

Main rifle is the (lower rifle) 5.56/223 with T Dot..

I am Right Handed..

I figured A would work better also..

I will be ordering smaller pouches for medkit and such for the RIGHT side of the vest in the coming weeks..

I figure 80 rounds of 308/762 and 180 rounds of 193/855 mix should be a good starting load..

Figure the 2 rifles weigh 20Lbs. or so combined..

This is the start to my training and whatever happens rig..

Rear Butt-Pack (when I get it) will be on the rear part of the encompassing 'girdle'..

Al
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
i see you have two weapon options here...why do'nt you just buy two FLC's  and set one up for 7.62mm and the other for 5.56mm and your side arm...seems this would be a logical idea rather than having to carry three different types of ammo and mags on the same vest...the vests are cheap enough and the options to carry stuff are yours to make...vince g. 11B Inf...
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i see you have two weapon options here...why do'nt you just buy two FLC's  and set one up for 7.62mm and the other for 5.56mm and your side arm...seems this would be a logical idea rather than having to carry three different types of ammo and mags on the same vest...the vests are cheap enough and the options to carry stuff are yours to make...vince g. 11B Inf...

1st.. Thank You for your service..

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
Normally that would make sense..

But I usually take both rifles out for training/to the range and such..

This is also going to be my SHTF setup.. figure with mags for both 'at the ready' I don't need/want 2 vests..

Small pouches, hydration, & med-kit next on my list..

This is my DPMS 308 after I did some Desert Camo paint about a month back..

Al

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Almost this.  It won't be long before you give up the idea of carrying both weapons everywhere.  You'll probably be better served setting up the vest to service your M4 and pistol along with ancillary gear and just picking up a bandoleer for the 7.62 ammo.  That way, on those occasions you do need both, it's just a matter of slinging the bandoleer as opposed to hauling that extra weight as a general course of events.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks YWHIC for the comment....TheOTHERmaninblack has a very good idea which might just work for you and might be cheaper aswell...vince g. 11B Inf..
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I myself don't like them, but have you considered a buttstock mag pouch for the 7.62?
That's not what I'd consider a high-volume shooter, so you wouldn't need to tote more than one extra mag. I mean, since you say you'll be sporting both rifles, right?
Just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks..

at the moment though I have all the pouches ordered up.. and they will be in this week..

so I will try the 'rig' as Layout A and see how I like or don't like it..

I don't see how 4 mags of 20 rounds of 308 would outweigh the 6 mags of 5.56/.223

I understand the 'weight issue' would come into play..

but 80 rounds (or more) on a bandolier will be one extra thing to SNAG.. IMHO..
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I myself don't like them, but have you considered a buttstock mag pouch for the 7.62?
That's not what I'd consider a high-volume shooter, so you wouldn't need to tote more than one extra mag. I mean, since you say you'll be sporting both rifles, right?
Just thinking out loud.

This may become an option..

I gotta get the FLC carrier and pouches, and figure my max weight.. and then run around abit..
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
you could stack the 308 pouches over the open top 556 pouches (via option A)

I agree that carrying 308 &556 is a bit of over kill. bandoleer or grab bag for the 308
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats OK.. I just realized the open-top were for M14 type mags (aka 308)..

just cancelled them (hopefully)    ..

If that gets cleared up (tommorrow) I read that TT makes single 20 round open-top holders for $15.50 each..

IRT.. roguetrader..
I think a 4 mags of 308 stacked above 6 mags of 5.56/.223 might make me a little LET heavy.. IMHO..

What I'm gonna do is wait and see how this thing adjusts and goes together with the stuff I have inbound..

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#13]
The good news... Blackhawk makes a Double 20 Round AR/M4 Pouch with flaps for $29..

hopefully the other issue    noted above gets resolved B4 they ship..

Al
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Just grabbed an SDS brand SAW200 bag for $9 (Coyote Tan) and a Frag Gren. Pouch in DSU for $4.. (no shipping)

Think I got it balanced out now..  

Can't wait to get it together..  

Al
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thats OK.. I just realized the open-top were for M14 type mags (aka 308)..

just cancelled them (hopefully)    ..

If that gets cleared up (tommorrow) I read that TT makes single 20 round open-top holders for $15.50 each..

IRT.. roguetrader..
I think a 4 mags of 308 stacked above 6 mags of 5.56/.223 might make me a little LET heavy.. IMHO..

What I'm gonna do is wait and see how this thing adjusts and goes together with the stuff I have inbound..

not 4 over 6––––––––––––––––––––-4 308 mags in front of 2 556 mags (over as in layered not vertical the 556 and the 308 would share the same real estate
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately..

the mag pouches I elected to get do not have front webbing to accomplish this.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks..

at the moment though I have all the pouches ordered up.. and they will be in this week..

so I will try the 'rig' as Layout A and see how I like or don't like it..

I don't see how 4 mags of 20 rounds of 308 would outweigh the 6 mags of 5.56/.223

I understand the 'weight issue' would come into play..

but 80 rounds (or more) on a bandolier will be one extra thing to SNAG.. IMHO..

The 150 gn bullet of a mil-spec 7.62 NATO round––alone–– weighs more than an entire 55 gn  5,56 cartridge.

This weight thing has a way of creeping up on one.  We have all had it happen at one time or another, and you are not the first, by any means.

May as well let him try.  We've done our part, and without pain there is no lesson, as the man once said.

For myself, I've wandered out into the woods lugging two long guns (in my case, a rifle and shotgun) and a raft of pistols.  I was young and invincible and a little naive.  It got old pretty quick (like, before I got back to camp)  Not just the weight, but the ungainliness of having two long guns on board, let alone the paraphernalia for both, hindered my every movement until I may as well have been one of those wannabe commandos we laugh at in the propaganda films Hollywood passes as entertainment (okay, I may actually have been one of those at that point)  I'm saying this to point out that my replies to this thread aren't conjecture, but experience trying what the OP proposes.  Yes, I was rocking ALICE gear rather than MOLLE, but the attachment method wouldn't really have made the extra long gun any easier to tote or the extra weight easier to lug.

I did recognize the potential that I might need long range, heavy caliber help as well as CQB handiness.  Which is why I surrendered both the .308 and 5.56 compulsions and switched to the 6.5.  One rifle, one vest, one set of mags and spares.  Problem solved.

I think the moral of the story is to find a weapon that'll do what you need it to do and concentrate on that rather than trying to be Mad Max entering Bartertown.  If it's the M4, good, if it's the .308, great.  But both is asking for an aching back and a noisy walk.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]
here is the mag pouches that have come in thus far. $51 for the 3.. which IMHO isn't that bad..

(M4 pouches loaded with 20's I had laying around and boxes of ammo under them to show depth..)

The 308 pouches have 4 PMAGS Loaded with 308 ammo..

The thing I like about these Condor brand pouches is the ability on ALL OF THEM to remove the flaps..

The elastic is pretty good on here and the mags are staying VERY PUT..  

Here is a pic showing the FLAPS removed (totally) and the front tab tucked..

This may be an option for you SPEED GUYS whom don't like flaps.. but can have the option to remove them.. vs. tucking them behind the mags.. (which is another option on these as well).

raf..

I would appreciate any insight on how to load-out with both rifles as you offered above.. (my work does not allow gun sites so i could not logon all day     )

Al

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#21]
EXtreme over-consolidation with one vest catered to two rifle calibers...

I was about to say something but you guys already covered that.

...but then I saw Condor pouches

Guide and enlighten him, fellas.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
EXtreme over-consolidation with one vest catered to two rifle calibers...

I was about to say something but you guys already covered that.

...but then I saw Condor pouches

Guide and enlighten him, fellas.

I did order some SDS mil-spec pouches also yesterday..

Gonna 'grab' some simple double SDS mil-spec M4 pouches in the next day or so also..

As things wear out I will have some decent mil-spec stuff on hand..

Al
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I weighed the pouchs show in the pic.. when loaded out it comes in at about 8 lbs or so..

which isn't that bad.. IMHO..

$50 for one HSGI is rediculous.. I could by SDS (old GI gear) for $10 new on EB..

if you want to send me the $50 (or the item) I'll try/rock one..

but for range use shooting at paper and steel I don't see the advantages.

Al
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Why are you putting a rig together to shoot at paper and steel? I don't wear my rig at the range unless I'm doing reload or transition drills, but mine isn't cheap shit either.

The poster above was right. Buy once, cry once. You get what you pay for in this market of guns and all things related. Heed the advice given.

On a side note, I'm assuming you're new to this stuff. How old are you?
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
New to shooting.. no.. new to Tactical Gear.. yes..

Shooting since 8-12, then 18-22 (service), 25-32 (security/ep work), and now 36-41.

Mostly AK's and such.. now DPMS 308 and DPMS in 5.56.

I understand the concept of buying quality gear.. But I am in the process of trying to save $5-6K and still have some type of 'gear'..

and yes I mean shooting at paper and tac-reloads at my range with transitions and all..

nothing fancy or formal.. but getting muscle-memory is part of my self-training.

and yes I buy BRASS ammo for the 5.56..  , the 308 is a beast and will eat Tula-Hornady in the same mag..

If someone wants to send me some 'tacos' and other good stuff go for it.. but for me the mag pouch is just that.. a mag pouch..

I am not in a war-zone.. and if I start one I will upgrade my gear accordingly.

Al
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't worry about the Condor too much.  There's lots of animus directed at it, some even deserved.  It's generally not considered "downrange" quality, and doesn't come already "finished" (ie all of the threads are trimmed and burned, etc) and isn't always pretty (seams straight and even)  But it usually holds together well enough for duffers who don't spend every day humping it through the bush.

All of my other arguments stand, however.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, in short, you can do better (in both price and quality in the long run) than DPMS, a cheap wannabe ACOG clone, and surplus mag pouches/load bearing equipment.

Much better.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread has been going in circles. I think what everyone is trying to do is find a nice way to say "run some quality pouches on the vest, and scuttle the idea of carrying both ammo types simultaneously."

Seriously, the idea that you'll be carrying BOTH an m4-type carbine AND an LR308, with a 9mm sidearm, is at the very least unreasonable. You're purchasing gear left and right, THEN asking if this or that is a good idea.  I don't know of you even want the advice we're giving.

One last thing before I get off my soapbox, I can totally relate to the sentiment of scoffing at paying $30 for a single piece of kit. In fact when I decided to build my first rig I started with.... Wait for it.... A surplus FLC. I tried to cheap out & bought Condor pouches, thinking I was ahead of the game.
In the end, I wound up with gear I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with and didn't even necessarily trust to hold up to any real use. So after toiling and overthinking the issue for entirely too long, I went and bought some quality gear ( TT, HSGI, etc the usual suspects) which I should have in the first place. I would have saved alot of money by getting that shit in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
but for range use shooting at paper and steel I don't see the advantages.

You had also said SHTF... So I found you the most versatile pouch for the money that fit in the smallest form factor.

What exactly are your priorities here?

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This thread has been going in circles. I think what everyone is trying to do is find a nice way to say "run some quality pouches on the vest, and scuttle the idea of carrying both ammo types simultaneously."

Pretty much what he said.

You said you're not in a war zone.

Buy your gear like you'd be going into one. That's the point.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 3:16:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I did buy ALREADY some Specialty Defense (SDS) pouches and also plan on buying more of them to replace the 'Condor' as needed.. I figure if the military uses it, it should be GTG..

I am buying a single layer triple M4 mag holder and 1 double M4 mag holder both by SDS.. and the 308 mags will end up riding on my waist on the rear MOLLE webs..

I can't see how 10-12 lbs of gear on a Load Bearing Vest can beat a decently healthy 40 year old person to badly.. even the 2 rifles at 7 & 9 lbs each is not that bad folks..  one of which would be slung over the back 80% of the time..

If I had to bug-out for SHTF, both rifles are coming with folks..hence BOTH the ammo needs.. I do agree on the bandoleer, which I will look into shortly..

My war zone would be W Texas where I have property 12 miles (literally) from the Rio.. my make-shift shooting range.. and where my house is going to be built next year..

If any of you folks would like to help me defend it from " " then feel free.. but most of you would probably RUN..

Again, I will be pondering my options and such, so you folks made your points.

Al

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
wow

you just refuse to listen

I would love to see you walk around all day carrying all that then tell us how  easy it is.

I love the little jab at  how we all are cowards that would run   I bet you got a shit ton of friends
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
wow

I would love to see you walk around all day carrying all that then tell us how  easy it is.

I love the little jab at  how we all are cowards that would run   I bet you got a shit ton of friends

I don't think he wants to be helped. I think he wants to be vindicated.

And for the record, if I was going to run anywhere, it'd be to TX, not away from it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
wow

I don't refuse to listen.. I just said if I had to 'bug-out' I am taking BOTH rifles with me..

I also said that I bought some mil-spec SDS gear.. I dunno what else you folks want..

I have property in TX hence the defense situation should it arise.. and the jab was intentional..

While quality gets the job done 99% of the time.. the 1% is the persons skills.. IMHO..

I'm currently in PA/NJ so yes I too am running TO Texas even if down the line it ends in the crapper like AZ and NM is currently..
(which I HIGHLY doubt)..

I have 1 friend, my ex-wife, and my best buddy.. my son  

I have nothing but time while stuck in PA/NJ to train abit before I move out to TX..

I also have ADHD so when I get bored I tend to sell my rifles and such.. I am not settled when my Saiga/AK74 only shoots 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards.. so I sold it.. and another and bought the AR in 308. which is nice and tight at 200 yards with 1 5/8" 10 shot groups..

Al
Navy Vet 88-92

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I have ARs in both 5.56 and .308. If SHTF, they're both coming with me. But I will not carry them both at once. Each has its own rig and purpose, and each rig and corresponding rifle will be selected as necessary/needed, depending on the task at hand.

Not some half assed two in one stroke of pseudo genius composed of hand me down surplus. That's What we're trying to tell you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
wow

I don't refuse to listen.. I just said if I had to 'bug-out' I am taking BOTH rifles with me..

I also said that I bought some mil-spec SDS gear.. I dunno what else you folks want..

I have property in TX hence the defense situation should it arise.. and the jab was intentional..

While quality gets the job done 99% of the time.. the 1% is the persons skills.. IMHO..

I'm currently in PA/NJ so yes I too am running TO Texas even if down the line it ends in the crapper like AZ and NM is currently..
(which I HIGHLY doubt)..

I have 1 friend, my ex-wife, and my best buddy.. my son  

I have nothing but time while stuck in PA/NJ to train abit before I move out to TX..

I also have ADHD so when I get bored I tend to sell my rifles and such.. I am not settled when my Saiga/AK74 only shoots 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards.. so I sold it.. and another and bought the AR in 308. which is nice and tight at 200 yards with 1 5/8" 10 shot groups..

Al
Navy Vet 88-92

wow you  are awesome
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#39]
For those that are saying his rig would be way too heavy... what is on the vest is not any heavier than a load for just one rifle and a pistol with armor. The second rifle adds most of the weight but t is totally possible for someone to carry that amount. IIf someone can carry an M240 and a full combat load someone can carry two ARs, a pistol, and ammo.  I did have to carry an M4 with 6 5.56 mags, M203 with 15+ 40mm, and an M14 6 7.62 mags one day and it was extremely heavy.
That said, I would never carry the amount that the OP wants to in a SHTF scenario. If I were going to carry both rifles I would leave the pistol and stick to maybe 4-6 5.56 mags and 2-4 precision mags. Each 7.62 mag weighs about 2 lbs each which adds alot of weight.
Dustin
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I can't see how 10-12 lbs of gear on a Load Bearing Vest can beat a decently healthy 40 year old person to badly.. even the 2 rifles at 7 & 9 lbs each is not that bad folks..  one of which would be slung over the back 80% of the time..

@ pezboytate.. Thanks..

Thats what I was trying to make known to the others.. lets say 11 # of mags/ammo (it is what it is) and then 9 # on a sling across my back (308 rifle).. and a 7# rifle (223/5.56) on a sling in 'low-ready' walking..  (total of 27 Lbs..) I don't think this is too much weight for 5-10 mile treks... for SHTF its not always how fast you move or how far.. its that you move discreetly sometimes... imho.

I'm 5' 8" and 185.. and 'back in the day' circa 1991 I could run the 1 mile in just under 8 mins flat in boots and BDU's..

I could probably break in under 10 mins at my now doubled age of 41..

Al

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Too much stuff on one vest.

Put all your 5.56 stuff on the vest, put all your 7.62 stuff in a range bag/ small pack that can double as a rest.

Mixed mags on the vest is a great way to introduce training scars.

All those pouches will eat up room on the vest quick as it is.  

Anything inverted will shit whatever you put in it on the ground when you don't want it to.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much what he said.

You said you're not in a war zone.

Buy your gear like you'd be going into one. That's the point.

Lot of condor (as well as other cheap brands) stuff goes overseas because it's what guys can afford.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#43]
The FLC is coming in today..

I will mix and match the load and see what works for me..

this weekend I will wear to my local range and see how it does for 2 hours of some simple drills/testing..

while holding the AR (5.56)..

I will also then run the same set of drills with the 308 in my hands..

Keeping the 308 on my back while testing can't happen at the range.. (they don't like firearms on your back)..

I'll have to walk around the house for the day with it on my back I guess..  

The main ORIGINAL question was load-out for the VEST and opinions on layout A or B..

not if I could lift my rifles and run with them AND the gear..

the odds of me confusing a 308 mag (thick and plastic) with AR mags (metal and small) are almost nill.. IMHO..

the AR mags will be on the weak side.. the 308 mags will be on my strong side.. (which in my mind the 308 is my 'sniper/long-range' rifle) and I should not even be reaching on that side of the vest AT ALL..

I agree on the 9mm pouches.. they will NOT be mounted inverted as originally discussed..

Al
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd definitely go with Option A, hands down.

I rock an FLC for my High Drag Low Speed vest.  one thing i had to do was put the buttpack on and throw two 1qt canteens at the 5 and 7 o'clock, that way the vest isn't so front heavy.  I have it with two 3 mag shingles on either side, then two more 2 mag pouches on either side, set up to hold 6/8/10/14 Mags depending on requirements for what i'm doing.  With 14 mags, it is basically a car vest and i cannot see any time i would need 14 mags short of zombies, and it is WAY too heavy to walk around for any amount of time.  I usually only do 6 mags in the shingles and leave the others empty, but the option is there to do 10 mags if need be.  I'll snap some pictures here in a bit.

With what you have set up it may be uncomfortable with that much weight in the front.  When i am carrying anymore than 4 mags in the front, i need something on the rear to balance it out.  That includes on the left and right sides, too much weight on either side will bug the crap out of you when rucking your gear
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is the setup.. Adjustment was easy as the last guy must have been about my size..  

I have 'MagPuls' on the way for the 6- 20 round 5.56/223 mags I got shoved in the one side..

the other side is 4- 20 round PMags for the 308..

Rig weighs 12 lbs with ALL mags loaded up..

The SAW200 pouch is currently empty but will carry ALOT of stuff or more boxed ammo..

Thinking a med-kit, small 8x8 tarp, & whatever..

The little 'grenade' pouch currently has just some 550 cord in it..

I too was thinking I can always half-load the mag pouches for lighter training sessions..

Overall HAPPY    

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#46]
be careful

too much stuff on the right side and it will be hard to draw your handgun  very fast.  try to keep it slick    with enough room  for your draw to clear pouches
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks.. yeah I agree..

I will end up with the SAW pouch on the rear 'belt' more than likely..

With 6 AR mags loaded to 15 rounds, and 4 (308) mags loaded to 15 rounds.. and 2- 9mm mags..  

& additional 100 rounds of 556/223 and 60 rounds of 308 in boxes, in the SAW pouch..

I got 16 Lbs. on the house scale..

This would be about my TOTAL.. SHTF load I think..

anymore weight and I'd by be HARD PRESSED to lug it for toooo long..

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Were you planning on carrying anything beyond the armament and ammo when SHTF?  You can only carry so much in a dump pouch, so most of us plan for a ruck of some sort over the top of the vest to lug the majority of our shit from point A to point B.  While 16 pounds from the truck to the range isn't a serious deal, 16 pounds added to the 35-40 pounds or more of a BOB/ruck starts to get tedious.

To that end, if you simply MUST carry a second rifle, you might look into some way to affix it to your ruck rather than simply relying on slinging it.

Remember to post pics of you out in the sun in full regalia, we love that sort of shit
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Were you planning on carrying anything beyond the armament and ammo when SHTF?

I was about to say, what about a med kit pouch, a utility pouch or two, hydration, etc?

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The SAW200 pouch is currently empty but will carry ALOT of stuff or more boxed ammo..

Thinking a med-kit, small 8x8 tarp, & whatever..

The little 'grenade' pouch currently has just some 550 cord in it..

I mentioned this earlier.. ^^ ^^ ^^

Thinking an IFAK with some extras in it..

Only thinking maybe a Mil Style backpack with some clothes and super essentials.. either CAN-goods or MRE's (yuk)..

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top