Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2013 12:28:42 PM EDT
I was interested in getting either a Eberlestock Phantom ,Halftrack Pack, or a  Kifaru (like the pointman or navigator). I like the concept behind the phantom that you can store a rifle in the pack but I am worried is how does this feel carrying it. I read on mulitiple sites that people dont like the fact that the pack sits further of there back which I dont think I'd like if I had some weight in the pack. . And I also have read that if you remove the scabbard just to use the pack there isn't alot of padding. I am looking for a good quality pack that can hold basic camping items and stuff that essential for a couple days in the field (stuff like us issue sleep system, food, Catoma Enhanced BedNet, poncho, etc). So far i have been leaning towards the halftrack. Just want to here if anyone has any input about these packs. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a eberlestock lo-drag and ive hiked with it and a full load. I didnt have any problems with balance(well no worse than what you get with a full frame pack). About the only real problem ive had with it is with a full pack my rifle is a little hard to draw. But other than that it gets my vote for any hiking now!
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
No personal experience with them but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgAIFpxg4Kg&list=UUbT5ssxEDZHNyz28N4Ov7Wg&index=4

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Gunslinger 2. Great pack! Been on 3 trips out and about with me. The only complaint I've ever had is a buckle broke.After an email to Eberlestock they sent me a whole bag of replacement buckles for free. Extremely comfortable to carry. You just need to make sure you don't overload it. Each pack has its own recommended max weight limit. The side zippers of the pack allow you to get in and grab things easily without having to take everything out.... I love em!
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#4]
The halftrack is not as big as you would think.  I can carry more gear in the lo-drag, once I removed the silly laptop carrier.  And the hydration system on the halftrack sucked in my opinion.  Sold my halftrack and kept the lo-drag if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
the Lo-drag seems to be pretty popular with that you're looking to do.  a buddy of mine has one and uses it for what you're describing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Gunslinger that I use for hunting. As far as carrying the rifle I personally don't notice any real issues. The weapon is held securely, is protected from bumps and what nots, and can be accessed in a reasonable amount of time.

In terms of balance a lot of that is going to depend on how you pack the bag; heavier items belong in the bottom of the pack and toward the centerline with lighter stuff on top and further away from the body. I've done my share of backpacking and I don't really notice a difference to be honest.

I cannot attest to the padding if you remove the scabbard because mine isn't removable. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The halftrack is not as big as you would think.  I can carry more gear in the lo-drag, once I removed the silly laptop carrier.  And the hydration system on the halftrack sucked in my opinion.  Sold my halftrack and kept the lo-drag if that tells you anything.

+1

The Halftrack is a good 3 day pack and that is all that it seems to be designed for.

I like mine only because it prevents me from over packing because if I have space in a bag I will start filling it with comfort gear/shit I don't need.  You basically can get enough water, food, ammo, and camping shit in there for 3 days max.  

The Half track also works well over a plate carrier in comparision to the Army issue shit I am used to dealing with.

Also the US issue sleep system is a BIG heavy bitch.  I would recommend taking the summer bag, bivvy cover and a poncho liner for anything above 30-40 degrees assuming you have a good ground pad.  Better yet buy a sleeping bag made for the temperatures you are expecting that is more compact/not as heavy.   The US sleep system was designed to be Soldier proof and durable not for light weight camping.  They are great to have around to throw in the BOV for a long term sleep system but for random hiking trips they are less than ideal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The gunslinger is awkward if the scabbard is empty but the pack is loaded.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a warhammer and don't have the issues of a gap when the scabbard is removed because it has an Alice frame built in.  My G4 was a little awkward without the scabbard.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#10]
X3 is aversatile pack:

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#13]
The pack was designed with military use in mind, for the ability to carry a second weapon

Civilian use includes hiking to a shooting spot without having an openly slung weapon, and it allows long guns to be carried in a position in the middle of the wearers back.  A pack without the firearm slot would have a longer gun sticking out a lot higher and it would shift around a lot

As far as shooting from the prone, if I need to go prone my pack is coming off.  Hitting the deck is one thing, but staying prone wih your pack on presents a huge silhouette.  Its also damn hard to get up and move in a hurry with a pack on, almost impossible if you are also wearing body armor and kit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Perhaps I'm stupid or uninformed, but I have never understood the concept of having a pack which had a seperate compartment for one's firearm.

What are the practical advantages for such an arrangement?  Obviously, in a tactical environment, such an arrangement is highly inadviseable, but tactical environment also includes possible animal attacks, does it not?

The most I can make of it is shielding the firearm from the elements during an approach to shooting area.  If the conditions are such, I, in mu admitted ignorance, figure that game hunting will be curtailed until conditions improve, at least for most hunters.

NOT knocking the quality of the packs, just asking just how useful such encased rifle capability [b]really[b/] is.

I suppose there are some other folks out there that will feel better if firearms are not openly displayed, and perhaps that is part of this pack mfr's philosophy.  OTOH, the size and configuration of the rifle case pretty much displays itself to those in the know.

Last, but not least, the extension of the rifle case above the user's shoulders, even if empty, might interfere with assuming a good prone shooting position.

Maybe I'm all wrong on this subject, so please educate me.

Extremely useful in a Recon platoon where you carry an m4 as primary and long gun in the pack.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Extremely useful in a Recon platoon where you carry an m4 as primary and long gun in the pack.

It's much easier to carry a 20-40lb weapon on your back with the convenience of an M4 in your hands than visa versa
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The Eberlestock can carry a 50BMG...I doubt you would want to haul a 50BMG without a pack.

I have a GSII and it's been an amazing pack.  If I get another pack it would be the Kifaru since Kifaru offers it in the Kryptek Highlander pattern.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Gunslinger and it's been through two rounds in Afghanistan with little to no wear to show for it.

They hold up incredibly well, but for backpack hunting/camping I'll probably stick with my MR CrewCab.

If "made in the USA" matters to you, know that Eberlestock isn't.  But considering how much they'd cost if they were, and the fact they're still DAMN high quality packs, it's not a huge issue for me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#18]
The X3 Lo-Drag holds less than you think it will. Check LoneWolfUSMC's mail call monday on the pack. It's an excellent pack, my favorite for hunting, just be aware that if you fill the water bladders you lose a substantial amount of space. I generally carry my PLRF, spotting scope, couple of mags, and my data book along with snivel gear. With a full tank of water it doesn't fit a whole lot more than that. With an empty tank, it's a lot more versatile. Because it's fairly small the pack sitting away from your back isn't too distracting, and I haven't had too much trouble getting my rifle out unless it's packed full.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Perhaps I'm stupid or uninformed, but I have never understood the concept of having a pack which had a seperate compartment for one's firearm.

What are the practical advantages for such an arrangement?  Obviously, in a tactical environment, such an arrangement is highly inadviseable, but tactical environment also includes possible animal attacks, does it not?

The most I can make of it is shielding the firearm from the elements during an approach to shooting area.  If the conditions are such, I, in mu admitted ignorance, figure that game hunting will be curtailed until conditions improve, at least for most hunters.

NOT knocking the quality of the packs, just asking just how useful such encased rifle capability [b]really[b/] is.

I suppose there are some other folks out there that will feel better if firearms are not openly displayed, and perhaps that is part of this pack mfr's philosophy.  OTOH, the size and configuration of the rifle case pretty much displays itself to those in the know.

Last, but not least, the extension of the rifle case above the user's shoulders, even if empty, might interfere with assuming a good prone shooting position.

Maybe I'm all wrong on this subject, so please educate me.

It’s a niche pack.  Many have used them to carry that second, mission-specific rifle (or shotgun).  Being an avid backpacker, I’m leery about having a heavily-weighted pack standing an extra 3-4 inches off my back; but I haven’t had that issue with a moderately heavy Eberlestock pack (GSII or Operator).  

For me, I like the option to somewhat conceal a rifle.  As a bug-home-bag where the worse case is to depart your vehicle where the situation doesn’t lend itself to open-carry, it’s nice to have the option of packing your rifle in a pretty accessible fashion without drawing attention.  I would agree these aren’t for everyone or every situation; it’s another option for those that feel the need or have the requirement.

I wouldn’t consider packing my rifle in the scabbard if I felt the immediate need of a long rifle.  I would still have quick access to my sidearm (concealed inside my HPG Kit Bag or IWB CCW), but even with easy access to the rifle, it wouldn’t be a consideration for packing “at the ready”.  I’ve simulated it, but never did it for real however you could quickly “store” your rifle in the back-scabbard, leaving your hands free from minor climbing or traversing terrain needing both hands.  Of course a quality sling could still be used for that, but as mentioned, it’s just another option.  Of course options are aplenty and a much less expensive and very effective “hands-free” storage of your rifle is the Kifaru Gun-Bearer.  Although this is an open-carry method, it is extremely effective along with still being fast to put your rifle back into action.

The only way I would go prone with a pack is if I’m being shot at.  If your pack has any significant amount of weight, you’re going to struggle in the prone and your ability to move would be hindered greatly.  

What’s an integrated scabbard-pack good for:

Carry a second long gun
“Concealed Carry” of a long gun (which is debatable to some)
A very expensive rifle bag with plenty of storage

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the halftrack and the operator packs. The half track does NOT have the weapon slot. If you want that size pack with the weapon slot, its the phantom you want. The half track is a great 3 or 4 day pack. I have used mine for a lot of travel in the past couple years and it wears comfortable, hold enough and is well made and well layed out.

The operator is a larger pack with the weapon slot. If you arent carrying a rifle in the slot you can always put other stuff in there. If you leave it empty you have to really cinch down the straps to keep the pack from flopping around on your back.

Both are great packs, but the halftrack isn't a rifle pack. Not sure what you're looking for, but the operator will hold more gear and a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I appericate everyone's input so far. To clear up some questions some people had not having  the rifle scabbard isn't a deal breaker for me.  I was just interested in how these felt and the concept. I 'm used to extrenal frame us issue molle and alice rucks, I was just looking for input on what packs do you recommend and to upgrade. And for the us issue sleep system I  use the bivy cover and incorporate what other pieces I may need depending on weather conditions. I'm just looking for a fairly good pack that can hold the essentials I had listed plus maybe some cold weather gear (polypro's, maybe a fleece), extra t shirts, underwear, socks, extra uniform. I am currently reaching the conclusion that the halftrack may be too small, as many of you pointed out to me. I look forward to hear what many of you have to say and your experiences with certain packs. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Secret Weapon, and Terminator with the weapons carrier.  They both function and carry extremely well.  It beats having to carry a 17lb bolt gun by hand.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I wanna get the F4M/Terminator after seeing one in person from a guy that was issued it by the Army. I was extremely impressed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the F4 terminator ,the gunslinger II and the x3. I sold the x3, didn't work out for me. Too small for my use and I ended up with too many pouches on it to make it unbalanced. The gunslinger G2 is the perfect size for a day or 2 hiking in the mountains with the rifle. The F4 is perfect for longer trips and has a better frame system. The dark earth color from eberlestock is great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top