Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2013 11:08:37 PM EDT
Looking for a knife for my belt.  I like the tanto style, and don't want anything too big.  Would prefer it comes with a kydex sheath, or has one that is readily available.  Would like to keep it under $100.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.rockynational.com/product/Ka-Bar/Knives/5054/Short-Black-Tanto-Plain-Edge-Hard-Sheath?gclid=CIP9zOnz7boCFYVZ7AodmGwAhA

eta I have a WWII-style USMC KaBar and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Esee Izula.

Still plenty big enough to poke people with, and if you need more reach, hit them with a rifle.
If you need a bigger knife for field craft, you can get one out of your pack.

I've gone through the whole 6" blade, 12" oal, knife on the war belt thing, and I keep going back to my little izula.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
An Esee 3 would be good too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Why does your war belt need a knife?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I would just like to have a fixed blade on my belt.  No other reason really.  I am still new to this whole hear thing, so would it be better to put on knife on my PC rather than my belt?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
esee 4
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would just like to have a fixed blade on my belt.  No other reason really.  I am still new to this whole hear thing, so would it be better to put on knife on my PC rather than my belt?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having a knife on you belt is fine. He's on some anti knife on belt kick and apparently jumping at every chance he gets to let his opinion be known
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea, if you don't want a knife don't carry one.
No need to go on a crusade about why you do or don't need one.
It's a freaking knife, to each their own.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys need to spend less time on the internet projecting, I asked a simple question.

Mission drives the gear.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You guys need to spend less time on the internet projecting, I asked a simple question.

Mission drives the gear.  
View Quote

Yes it does, but let's examine why one would wear a war belt.  Is the mission for a training rig only, worn in conjunction with a PC or similar chest rig?  Lots questions but in its basic form if I don't have anything else, dumped the pack and or for some reason the PC, what I have left is the belt mounted items.  I already carry folders in my pockets so at that point a belt mounted fixed blade isn't a bad thing.  I will add that many people go overboard with blade length here.  A decent small fixed blade will go a long way.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Knives are incredibly versatile tools and I will be putting one on my war belt once I get it built up. If you don't want one, then don't have one. If you do want one, then great! There is zero harm in it
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I think we have swung purses enough in this forum about this very subject...  Here ya go OP...

Cold Steel Recon Tanto

The ESEE knives are also hard to beat but I don't think they offer a Tanto?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

No but tantos suck and it was a subtle way to give a hint.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Hissatsu from crkt,  affordable and if Paul Howe has one , it can't be bad
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]

If that's how he wears a plate carrier, I won't be taking any gear advice from him, no matter who he is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
An Esee 3 would be good too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Ontario RAT3 instead of the esse.  It's part of my  get homebag.  I use to carry it  as a edc.  But I felt the micarta handles were on the heavy side.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If that's how he wears a plate carrier, I won't be taking any gear advice from him, no matter who he is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Doesn't even look like there is armor in them
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail either way.
If there are plates, they're 4" too low AT LEAST
If there aren't plates, fail for using a cumbersome system for something else
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fail either way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail either way.

I don't think that's a plate carrier....Just a chest rig...Look at the straps....there is no way those could hold the weight of plates...
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/PaulHowe.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2814/10936185016_f5d55a8031_b.jpg

View Quote

Really? Your argument is because Paul Howe does it, you should do it, too?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm really curious to know why people want a giant fixed blade on their belt. So far all I have hear is lame, half-assed excuses about opening their Twinkies and boxes of ammo.(which apparently you have to have a 8inch blade to do) Not to mention the dude jerking off to the thought of using it to take on two dudes.

If your reason is, "I think it looks cool, and I want it" thats fine. Just don't come up with some oddball circle jerk reason of why you MUST have it when everything you would use it for could be done with a pair of fucking nail clippers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/PaulHowe.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2814/10936185016_f5d55a8031_b.jpg

The knife is everything the the op asked for.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like it's plateless and he's just using it as a chest rig, possibly end of training day, relaxing.

BTW that man knows what's up, as far as the knife thing is concerned.  

BBTW that is one of the greatest warriors America has ever produced, he knows more about plate carriers than you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#27]
my war belt knife is my AK bayonet.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I just bought a Gerber LMF II and a Benchmade SOCP. I hope that they will fill my needs when they get here. I plan on trying them on my SOC-C belt and using what ever works best and the situation calls for. The only thing on the SOCP is that it is a combatives knife not a utility. The Gerber seems good to go, but I have heard reports that it's not ideal for batoning if youre not careful because of the insulation in the handle (apparently it can break if you wail on the handle).
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Personally how I do it is, run my fixed blade on my 2nd line as part of my layered offense/defense and carry a folder in my pocket for admin shit. That's just me though. I've ran my Esse 3 on my belt but for me running a fixed on my belt doesn't work with a 2nd line. I would recommend sticking around the 3"-4" length range though. It matters not to me how others run their kit as long as they know why they're doing it that way and are effective in it.

Also, Paul Howe has spent more time running kit and killing dirt bags than most have eaten fucking Cheerios. That said, it kills me the way he's always pictured wearing armor. However that should be the last thing we should be paying attention to regarding him.

OP, good luck and post you're setup when you figure it out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Looks like it's plateless and he's just using it as a chest rig, possibly end of training day, relaxing.

BBTW that is one of the greatest warriors America has ever produced, he knows more about plate carriers than you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably this. He knows how to properly use a plate carrier.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Doesn't sound like you want a small utility knife or a knife you would really use for field-craft; sounds more that you are looking for something with quick access to kindly tell someone to get the fuck off of you until you can go to your rifle or sidearm.

If this is the case, this doesn't really constitute as a traditional knife but will better serve that purpose:

http://spartanbladesusa.com/CQB-Tool

Personally, I just have a folder clipped in my pants pocket. A knife is versatile, but if you need something bigger than a folder and you are not out hunting or camping, you may be in the wrong place. If I were back to where people could come out from around corners or come out at you from a dark area that someone haphazardly called as clear, then I'd go with something like the CQB tool.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Doesn't sound like you want a small utility knife or a knife you would really use for field-craft; sounds more that you are looking for something with quick access to kindly tell someone to get the fuck off of you until you can go to your rifle or sidearm.

If this is the case, this doesn't really constitute as a traditional knife but will better serve that purpose:

http://spartanbladesusa.com/CQB-Tool

Personally, I just have a folder clipped in my pants pocket. A knife is versatile, but if you need something bigger than a folder and you are not out hunting or camping, you may be in the wrong place. If I were back to where people could come out from around corners or come out at you from a dark area that someone haphazardly called as clear, then I'd go with something like the CQB tool.
View Quote

The benchmade version can be found for like 90 bucks with the trainer. It also has a better sheath and the endorsement of the creator. I just bought one. Should be here any day.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#33]
sweet this topic again!

ESEE3

I like mine. It goes next to my Glock 17 I've never shot anyone with and my rifle I've never shot anyone with.

The things I've used to "neutralize threats" are never what I anticipated, laser pointer, 81mm mortar and a fucking HMMWV bumper were never on my belt. Crazy world we live in!
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
sweet this topic again!

ESEE3

I like mine. It goes next to my Glock 17 I've never shot anyone with and my rifle I've never shot anyone with.

The things I've used to "neutralize threats" are never what I anticipated, laser pointer, 81mm mortar and a fucking HMMWV bumper were never on my belt. Crazy world we live in!
View Quote

To be fair if it was feasible I think most of us would rather have the air support, mortars, and or a HMMWV to mow someone down with, but sadly those arent really options for us regular guys.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Kabar TDI.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha...
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I lost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top