Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2014 5:30:07 PM EDT

Load Bearing Equipment:  Your Tool Belt for SHTF

When it comes to being a prepared citizen for a CONUS, civilian-centric SHTF situation you may very well need an ensemble to carry your essential equipment, I use the military term of load bearing equipment (LBE) which is generic for any number of styles that have come and gone over the years to include belt/harness combinations, load bearing vests, mesh gear vests, and finally all the rage thanks to all the pictures of cool dudes in the GWOT- the plate carrier.

The proclivity for a lot of us prepared folks is to mimic the latest and greatest tactical thing on the market and I certainly wished I opened up a plate carrier manufacturer a few years ago as I would a rich man now.  I am no stranger to military style tactical equipment having served in the Marine Corps for most of my adult life and deployed overseas.  However, you can have too much a good thing and you need to know WHY we may use something before swiping your credit card.

When it comes to LBE I have owned and tried almost all of the ones mentioned in the first paragraph and returned and sold most of them.  They each have their pros/cons but I'll tell you what I went with and why.

I currently use the MFR-10 split front chest rig from CPgear.com from Canada.  No need to look it up now as they are discontinued and I bought all the remaining stock for resale! ;) I bought them on closeout and they were less expensive than the next closest thing, the Tactical Tailor 2-Piece MAV.

Here are my reasons:

*Belts alone are compact and easy to hide but without any suspenders they will eventually fall with gravity after a day of running around especially with any weight over a pistol and a few magazines.

*Load bearing vests and mesh vests have a large load capacity but are harder to hide thus making them less desirable in the probable SHTF environment where discretion will be necessary.  A moderately loaded chest rig can be at least partially hidden with a large shirt or jacket.  That area in the center of your chest is the big giveaway.

*I considered going with pouches directly on my plate carrier like I and everyone else wore in Afghanistan but there are times when you need one and not the other, also it makes it a challenge to shoot from the prone as your magazine pouches are in the worst place when you are down on the ground. When conducting a reconnaissance you need just the rig and you can ditch your armor to be lighter and quieter.

*One piece chest rigs are harder to don/doff; for the prone position you are stuck with the same problem as the plate carrier unless you take it completely off which is tactically a no-no and takes precious time before and after.

Your equipment or gun belt is sometimes called your Line 1 gear.  We never used this "Line" term in the Corps but..it is the bare essentials to survive and defend yourself.

Your Second Line Equipment; your combat load!

On my right (strong) side I have only one rifle magazine pouch but is the location of the bulk of my tools.  I wasn't kidding about the tool belt part.  I have shears, seat belt cutters, flashlight and a Leatherman Wave which I have had since 2000.  If you scroll down you can see where I keep a USGI weapons cleaning brush and zip ties to detain people.

Once I throw on my chest rig I move my pistol mags to the chest rig for a better and faster fit.  Same goes for my Surefire 6Z.

This is everything secure.  Ready for patrol.  For a SHTF situation I would roll with a single rifle mag in each pouch for a total of three and then one more in the rifle.  If I felt I needed more then I could double this for a total of six in the rig.

Like I mentioned in the text, if I need to get in the prone I can disconnect the buckles and open up the rig in seconds.

The max capacity on my Camelbak is 100oz but I can reduce this if carrying a pack or if I need to hide the rig under a jacket or shirt.

For civilian, CONUS-centric SHTF the wearing of armor is more variable versus my time in the military.  There maybe times when you need it or not.  If you are soley on foot and you need speed, armor can be a dead weight and best be ditched.  With a two piece ensemble you have that option, with a one piece plate carrier with all 100 pouches mounted to it you are stuck.

It's all about the details. My CAT tourniquet is at the bottom of my first aid kit because here CONUS I am not afraid of IEDs or mines where the use of tourniquets would be optimum.  I have used the dressing and bandaids for students who got slide bit however.  USGI pressure bandage on top for the most common gunshot wounds.

My training website is at www.stcrispian.com and you can email, befriend and follow on me on Facebook under [email protected]

For this and many more articles concerning firearms, equipment and training please join my proboard at http://www.stcrispian.proboards.com/index.cgi
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
"Ranger Pace Counting Beads" LOLZ
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a joke? Serious question.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Starting from the very first picture, why not just get a holster that can hold the pistol with the light already attached? Like a Safariland, or G-Code, or any one of a number of much better holsters (IMO/IME) than a Serpa.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, highspeed trainers should know that TQs aren't just for IEDs and it appears that the pressure bandage is one of those older shitty ones not an ETB. TQ should be accessible. IAW TC3 that's gonna be the first thing you do for a GSW to an extremity.

Pistol light off the gun? So you're gonna not use your rifle, take your pistol out, then attach your light, then go on the prowl? Failing to see any logic behind that.

Gears a little dicked up for advertising your training company.

Not trying to be a douche, just seems odd.

ETA: okay read it again. What the fuck is getting detained, Christmas lights? Tiny zip ties do not function like zip cuffs.

Face paint? Really?

Ok.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, highspeed trainers should know that TQs aren't just for IEDs and it appears that the pressure bandage is one of those older shitty ones not an ETB. TQ should be accessible. IAW TC3 that's gonna be the first thing you do for a GSW to an extremity.

Pistol light off the gun? So you're gonna not use your rifle, take your pistol out, then attach your light, then go on the prowl? Failing to see any logic behind that.

Gears a little dicked up for advertising your training company.

Not trying to be a douche, just seems odd.

ETA: okay read it again. What the fuck is getting detained, Christmas lights? Tiny zip ties do not function like zip cuffs.

Face paint? Really?

Ok.
View Quote

Bro, he's got to camo that face to balance out the yellow mags
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude. Stop. Delete your post. Have this locked. Don't train anyone. Read this forum completely. Rename your company. Try again.

This is not going to go the way you think it will. I'm not trying to be an ass. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The mags I use for classes are all yellow taped since I loan them and can get them back easier I may have some that are plain.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Cleaning kit on a chest rig?
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#10]
trololololol
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
In on one.

OP, I at least thank you for your time and effort here.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In on one.

OP, I at least thank you for your time and effort here.

View Quote
also in on one. This one got potential.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol at this thread. The whole thing.

ETA: BUT, lets not keep this in the tech forum please. If yall want to do this move it to GD.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay now that I expressed all legitimate concerns that could've been taken as a "roger, good idea, I'll think about it and unfuck it" moment, and the only response is about the yellow mags... I'm gonna go ahead and clear myself hot on the tactical tooth brush. Loved that part. Labeling the cleaning brush.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Okay now that I expressed all legitimate concerns that could've been taken as a "roger, good idea, I'll think about it and unfuck it" moment, and the only response is about the yellow mags... I'm gonna go ahead and clear myself hot on the tactical tooth brush. Loved that part. Labeling the cleaning brush.
View Quote

Technically I beat you to it. But I was some what vague on it so I'll share.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets just declare twinners!
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Five bucks says OP was a waterdog.

eta: lol never mind. Has to be fucking with you guys.

eta2: OP, you really shouldn't be wearing captain rank...
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

His website has documents, graduation certificates, and pictures from his service.

Added a link, Clicky
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
No thanks OP. I have enough experience to know I enjoy my plate carrier and ruck.

The last thing I want to do in a SHTF situation is downgrade my gear when I might need it later. Better to have it and not need it than be dead without it. In SHTF there is no redo to go back and fix what you fuck up. Chances are if you fuck up you're dead.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

His website has documents, graduation certificates, and pictures from his service.

Added a link, Clicky
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Added a link, Clicky

Meh. I still think I'm right. Just might be in a different context now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:16:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Added a link, Clicky

BULK FUEL!
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#22]
What happened to the pictures?  I want to see too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What happened to the pictures?  I want to see too.
View Quote

I spend one night with the wife, off of arfcom, and I miss something?

fuckers
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#24]
When you need a TQ, you need it RIGHT THE FUCK NOW. Maybe you should have secondary bug bites and bandaids kit separate from your main trauma kit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Linking to your sites cross the line into advertising.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top