Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 64 of 68)
Page / 68
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

Thanks for the heads up on the hip pads.
View Quote
Glad to have helped!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

As happy as I am with my Varusteleka S rm  TST L4 Recon Smock even after ponying up $300+ after shipping,
I figure that whatever price Varusteleka is asking, the product will be worth it.

After using that smock and my DZ Rig, I have crazy respect for British Military type field gear now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:
Originally Posted By raf:
Interesting review of Savotta mag pouches sold by Varusteleka HERE  wherein our very own "Diz" is mentioned: REVIEW .

Not exactly cheap, but very well made:  I have some.

As happy as I am with my Varusteleka S rm  TST L4 Recon Smock even after ponying up $300+ after shipping,
I figure that whatever price Varusteleka is asking, the product will be worth it.

After using that smock and my DZ Rig, I have crazy respect for British Military type field gear now.
Varustleka can be a valuable resource.  Their product descriptions, both text and pic, are reliable.  Prices are what they are, but for some reason shipping from Finland seems less than shipping from much closer UK.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey guys just spent a few hours today helping to unload the latest shipment.  We have Diz rigs, of various colors and sizes, and some CF-2's, along with a few CF3's, and a bunch of new Mk7's.  Get you some of that.

Didn't get as many Ranger colored rigs so if you want one, pull the trigger now.  

Yeah I appreciate the props from Matt.  I always tried to mention the guys I drew inspiration from, so I appreciate it when others follow suit.  

On weight.  Well it doesn't sounds like much, but, it sure does get magnified after a long hump in your gear.   It's like running a long distance, where your muscles and connective tissues start breaking down and losing strength.  Those little trips that you would normally soak up become potential problems. Your energy is a finite resource.  Once you take too much out, you get a shortfall.  But you really have to push the envelope to experience what I'm talking about.  It may or may not apply to you.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Just snagged a M81 Rig!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:36:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joeviterbo] [#5]
https://news.yahoo.com/why-prototype-combat-rig-could-180741438.html

Hijacked from another post. Very different from what it's being shown here. Still very alice oriented. The Quick drop adjustment for wearing a ruck looks cool, but i still think that a day pack should be considered an integral part of the belt kit. I May understand that when carrying a ruck for routine field marches the rig could be unbuckled, but for combat Patrol definitely has to be integrated. The LT  needs to be squared away
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
https://news.yahoo.com/why-prototype-combat-rig-could-180741438.html

Hijacked from another post. Very different from what it's being shown here. Still very alice oriented. The Quick drop adjustment for wearing a ruck looks cool, but i still think that a day pack should be considered an integral part of the belt kit. I May understand that when carrying a ruck for routine field marches the rig could be unbuckled, but for combat Patrol definitely has to be integrated. The LT  needs to be squared away
View Quote

Yeah, the quick drop function was adapted from the Airborne TAPS chest rig, used there to allow for wearing TAPS with parachute harness. He's obviously using it and I am not, and he says he likes it, but here are a lay-person's concerns:

* Unlike a parachute harness, the grunt is always donning and doffing his ruck, and those clips don't look easy to reach on the regular.
* I don't like the idea of open side-release buckles getting between me and the ruck. Sounds potentially uncomfortable.

Like he says, a step in the right direction, but I think they'd be better off ditching the drop feature (unless retained for the same parachute-rigging reason as the TAPS), and spending more effort on a properly integrated belt/chest rig/ruck system (separate pieces).
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:52:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#7]
What are we looking for?  A way to quickly "raise" the belt rig up far enough to allow the wearing of a load bearing waistbelt of a large pack (temporarily making it a chest rig), and to quickly "drop" it into belt rig configuration once the pack (and waistbelt) is doffed?

Impossible if rear pouches on belt in way of ventral side of pack are not removed, but I think I have an idea.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I think  It Is the opposite.
The rig Is worn raised when worn alone, then it's dropped down to free space for the ruck waist belt.
It would be more in line with what happened with Alice at the time, maybe soldiers are still accustomed to that.

That said, i was digging thru boxes in my collection and behold, the OG jungle rig
Sadly the tape Is dried and started peeling off. It was bought as you see and has been sitting in a box for 20 years. Looks like something you would see in Ranger school. I Remember i found atleast One Pic with these h suspenders, either commercial Nordac ones or modified from alice standard Y suspenders

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:38:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#9]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
I think  It Is the opposite.
The rig Is worn raised when worn alone, then it's dropped down to free space for the ruck waist belt.
It would be more in line with what happened with Alice at the time, maybe soldiers are still accustomed to that.

That said, i was digging thru boxes in my collection and behold, the OG jungle rig
Sadly the tape Is dried and started peeling off. It was bought as you see and has been sitting in a box for 20 years. Looks like something you would see in Ranger school. I Remember i found atleast One Pic with these h suspenders, either commercial Nordac ones or modified from alice standard Y suspenders

https://images2.imgbox.com/62/c6/lGzxqQbM_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/af/88/whRntYcP_o.jpg
View Quote
I was thinking along somewhat different lines, just to temporarily relocate the rig, if need be.  that certainly looks like a "drop-down: rig, though.

I understand about the tape residue.  What I do is to remove the tape and expose the residue.  Then I use a product called "Goo Gone" which is a light, volatile, smelly petroleum distillate (reminds me of Kerosene or very light Lamp Oil) to remove the remaining tape residue, using a toothbrush to dissolve the residue.  It works pretty well, but I don't make any claims whether or not the "Goo Gone" will dissolve any Polyurethane waterproofing on fabric.  The fabric may be darkened where the Goo Gone is applied.

Goo Gone  

Once the stuff has done its' job, you WILL want to wash, with oil-dissolving Dish Detergent/Shampoo, ALL areas the Goo Gone has touched--it has a way of "creeping" past the spots where it was originally applied.  You may need to repeat such washings multiple times till the smell is gone.  Maybe a final soaking in alcohol.

My recently bought Bundeswehr shoulder harness, formerly encrusted with OD tape, is now drying in the sun after such process described above.

It looks a lot better than before.

I understand that some collectors might not be willing to alter ancient items.  Personal judgement call.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I understand about the tape residue.  What I do is to remove the tape and expose the residue.  Then I use a product called "Goo Gone" which is a light, volatile, smelly petroleum distillate (reminds me of Kerosene or very light Lamp Oil) to remove the remaining tape residue, using a toothbrush to dissolve the residue.  It works pretty well, but I don't make any claims whether or not the "Goo Gone" will dissolve any Polyurethane waterproofing on fabric.  The fabric may be darkened where the Goo Gone is applied.
View Quote

Ordinary naptha (old fashioned Zippo lighter fluid) will also dissolve adhesive and may be milder than Goo Gone.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SCR556:

Ordinary naptha (old fashioned Zippo lighter fluid) will also dissolve adhesive and may be milder than Goo Gone.
View Quote
Would not be surprised.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#12]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:45:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#13]
ETA: I see this was posted via the Yahoo link above by Joe. I didn't see it at first. Here's the video via youtube for anyone that didn't catch it the first time.

Seems appropo to this thread. Posted 9 hours ago. Prototype "Jungle" rig that LT says can be used anywhere, but they have start sustaining themselves and can't rely on a FOB for consistent resupply and using chest rigs/PCs:

Why This Prototype Combat Rig Could Help Army Soldiers Fight A Possible War With China | Loadout
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting for sure. Personally, not sure about trying to find all 6 SR buckles in the heat of the moment. But an interesting concept
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I'm just glad Jim is thinking in this direction, instead of just blindly following the herd.  I'll have to get my hands on one before I can really comment, but yeah that does seem a bit fiddly on first blush.  

I spent some time in jungles, and forests, and even pretty arid landscapes.  I never saw the need for quick adjustment features.  In fact, my shit was taped down, as Joe and Raf have been discussing.  Now I know, that was back when a squad hid in a wooden horse and sacked a city, but still n all, I would lean in towards simplicity vs added complexity.  

I gotta say I like this here LT; he seems pretty switch on for a zero.   But I found it amusing he gave his canned speech about how they weren't operating from FOBs anymore with chest rigs/pc's, but out in the bush, where you needed to carry your kit on the belt line.  But then I didn't see any "sustainment", such as water, food, or fold up stove.  His mini buttpack was essentially a cmdr's pouch.  Also funny he was running 4 x 3-mag ammo, which he said he was just handing out as required.  Which is cool, but if he ran a cmdr's pouch with his admin stuff, and an IFAK out of one mag pouch, he'd have room for at least 2 x sustainments.  

But all n all just glad to see troops running around in belt kits again.  And props to SOTech for getting them out to the grunts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:45:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#16]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Well, I'm just glad Jim is thinking in this direction, instead of just blindly following the herd.  I'll have to get my hands on one before I can really comment, but yeah that does seem a bit fiddly on first blush.

I spent some time in jungles, and forests, and even pretty arid landscapes.  I never saw the need for quick adjustment features.  In fact, my shit was taped down, as Joe and Raf have been discussing.  Now I know, that was back when a squad hid in a wooden horse and sacked a city, but still n all, I would lean in towards simplicity vs added complexity.

I gotta say I like this here LT; he seems pretty switch on for a zero.   But I found it amusing he gave his canned speech about how they weren't operating from FOBs anymore with chest rigs/pc's, but out in the bush, where you needed to carry your kit on the belt line.  But then I didn't see any "sustainment", such as water, food, or fold up stove.  His mini buttpack was essentially a cmdr's pouch.  Also funny he was running 4 x 3-mag ammo, which he said he was just handing out as required.  Which is cool, but if he ran a cmdr's pouch with his admin stuff, and an IFAK out of one mag pouch, he'd have room for at least 2 x sustainments.

But all n all just glad to see troops running around in belt kits again.  And props to SOTech for getting them out to the grunts.
View Quote
Man it'd be interesting to get that LT's thoughts on your rig or a Jay Jay's. Would be awesome if someone could get his contact info and send him one for T&E. Hell I'd send him my Multicam Jay Jay's.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

Man it'd be interesting to get that LT's thoughts on your rig or a Jay Jay's. Would be awesome if someone could get his contact info and send him one for T&E. Hell I'd send him my Multicam Jay Jay's.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

Remember to include instructions on proper wear, lol. Dude looks like a soup sandwich in the video, and I guarantee a bunch of guys would end up wearing them stupidly high.

What I don’t get is why they’re trying some goofy custom setup rather than looking at the other western nations that use belt kits, and using those as a starting point.

Quick adjust just seems pointless to me, I’d think it would be an annoyance that would slip on its own and require fiddling with throughout the day. Same for the goofy SR buckles all over the place, getting in the way. The Diz solution of a “tranny strap” and a properly sized ruck/day pack that sits on the rear pouches seems like such a better solution.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By rb889:

What I don’t get is why they’re trying some goofy custom setup rather than looking at the other western nations that use belt kits, and using those as a starting point.
View Quote

Maybe we should be marketing belt kit as some 'new super high speed super-duper special forces secret experimental do-hicky gear'  and that might get people on board.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

Maybe we should be marketing belt kit as some 'new super high speed super-duper special forces secret experimental do-hicky gear'  and that might get people on board.
View Quote
It's likely that "customary" mfrs/vendors will have the "inside track" on such items, no matter how well-made alternative items are designed/made.  Berry compliance is mandatory.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#20]
Ok, so here's something a bit unique.  A new belt kit set, by Black Hills Designs.  This belt kit both have a few unique design features (interesting back panel for instance) but it is also set up and designed specifically for drone operators.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5yjLHaLX4G/
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#21]
I am going to assume that antenna is not used like that.

ETA; BNC stripped coax antenna cut for high band VHF, before cat tail antenna was a thing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#22]
It's likely that "customary" mfrs/vendors will have the "inside track" on such items, no matter how well-made alternative items are designed/made.  Berry compliance is mandatory.
View All Quotes

Makes sense to have domestic manufacturing after something gets adopted. But for T&E, I’d expect to see them try out some existing options to see what works and what needs to be adapted to what our military is doing.

Think they mentioned using lightweight materials, and the molle on that belt looked like the newer laminated stuff. Be interesting to see how that stuff holds up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forsaken_ID] [#23]
Esstac makes  a medium and large version of a harness now too:    https://esstac.com/shooters-harness-large/  just need to add  your own choice in pouches.

They make good stuff so I may pick one of these up in the future to try out against my British pcle, my British style sewn on, and my bastardized british/Danish pouch hsgi belt thing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By rb889:Makes sense to have domestic manufacturing after something gets adopted. But for T&E, I’d expect to see them try out some existing options to see what works and what needs to be adapted to what our military is doing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rb889:Makes sense to have domestic manufacturing after something gets adopted. But for T&E, I’d expect to see them try out some existing options to see what works and what needs to be adapted to what our military is doing.

The government will end up contracting their own design with a bunch of corners cut.  Just like they did with ACU camo as an example.  Now apply that to belt kit.  

Originally Posted By rb889:Think they mentioned using lightweight materials, and the molle on that belt looked like the newer laminated stuff. Be interesting to see how that stuff holds up.

It won't hold up.  MAYBE for the mag pouches, but especially for the rear pouches, where the ruck sits on top of the pouches, it absolutely won't.

Velocity System's stuff is already splitting in those areas in multiple reports.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#25]
Originally Posted By Forsaken_ID:
Esstac makes  a medium and large version of a harness now too:    https://esstac.com/shooters-harness-large/  just need to add  your own choice in pouches.

They make good stuff so I may pick one of these up in the future to try out against my British pcle, my British style sewn on, and my bastardized british/Danish pouch hsgi belt thing.
View Quote

Like I said above, the laminated stuff won't last, especially for the rear pouches.

Now, that harness does show some promise.  However, it needs two more straps on the rear, the 2 outer ones.  But the rest of it is interesting.

Oh.  And the belt needs another row of MOLLE.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Forsaken_ID:

View Quote

I wouldn't trust that open attachment between the front straps and belt to not get bent or just slip out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, the jury is still out on that there laminated stuff.  If it's splitting at the seams I'd suspect their sewing techniques vs the material, but we shall see.  What gets me is some folks just can't seem to get past the newer styling that we saw in placards n pouches.  Like some commenters earlier on, if it isn't "cutting edge" then some just dismiss it as old bullshit.  What they fail to realize is if you throw everything out, including some sound design concepts (such as a continuous, one-piece support structure) you are flirting with failure.  

As to why the .gov is experimenting with a domestic one-off design instead of looking at tried and true allied designs.  Because they are loathe to admit someone did it better than them, and for sure Berry enters the picture.  

Yeah you would think someone in the chain might discover JJ's, Dixies, or CF stuff and test it out.  Sad but true; most guys in this thread are more squared away than your average grunt active duty these days.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Last I saw Army jungle operations training was still using Alice. It would seem like those would be the people to get product to, as a renewing focus on SE Asia will see relevancy for both jungle and sustainment systems.

On the civilian side, places like One Shepherd never stopped light infantry training with classic east block opfor. A time capsule looping us back into the future.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Last I saw Army jungle operations training was still using Alice. It would seem like those would be the people to get product to, as a renewing focus on SE Asia will see relevancy for both jungle and sustainment systems.

On the civilian side, places like One Shepherd never stopped light infantry training with classic east block opfor. A time capsule looping us back into the future.
View Quote

Makes sense that the 25th would be used as a test bed unit for jungle warfare and gear for the Army. I wonder what, if anything, will come from this apparent trial.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, the jury is still out on that there laminated stuff.  If it's splitting at the seams I'd suspect their sewing techniques vs the material, but we shall see.
View Quote

From what I can tell, there are two issues.

1.  It eventually delaminates.  Sooner rather than later, especially under real use.  Though some seem to be better than others.

2.  Most of the ripping happens at two places - at the seams and where the molle straps wave through laser cut molle slots.  This sounds like two different issues, but I think they are the same if you look closely.

The stitching isn't the stitching breaking - it's the fabric giving way under pressure while the stitching itself stays sound.  I've seen bartacks, single, and multiple stitch lines all failing like this at stress points - the big one that made me notice it was Velocity systems utility and buttpacks failing at the stitching along the stressed seam from the pack resting on top of the pouches.  

There are tons of laminated, laser cut slots failing, stretching, early delaminating, etc. failing as it gets used, even when not heavily.  The molle straps going through them just beat the crap out of the laminated slots.  Again, some seem to do better than others.  

This goes back to what I have said about the laminated stuff - it has it's place, if smartly used.  Non-stressed parts than need waterproofing, lightweight, little labor intensive production.  For instance, the lid of a buttpack would probably be a pretty decent thing to make out of the stuff, depending on how it's attached.  I have a laminated cinch-down panel on one of my hill people gear packs that they make that is great too.  It does have laser cut molle slots on it, but most people don't use that feature, or if they do, it's a small light admin pouch or something.  But it makes sense for that specific use.  I could also possibly see if for the BOTTOM panel of certain canteen / water bottle pouches.  You can laser cut drain holes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:59:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#31]

View Quote

I've seen the Jungle ops guys using british webgear too.  Same as some of the one shepherd guys, though their gear is a weird weird random mis-match of everything from ALICE to gucci modern setups.  Though belt kit seems pretty normal there, especially for alot of the main cadre.  Which says something - those guys get more actual in-field time than alot of military units.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Ordered a DZ rig today. Looking forward to doing some trainings with it this year.

Will probably clean up my various PLCE stuff and pass it along to another guy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#33]
This is the funny thing; you have these cutting edge designs, which the majority of the peeps are wearing but it would appear that they don't hold up well in hard field use.  So if you insist on making a "jungle kit" out of it, you run the risk of a higher failure rate.  But as we have seen over the years, some folks would rather be in style than use what optimal, if not old fashioned.  

I think there is a place for it, but I think you have to be smart about how it's used.  I think if you use traditional sewing techniques such as the Brits did with their double-wall stuff, it won't de-lam.  Which sorta defeats the purpose of laminating in the first place.   Or like I prefer, use webbing as reinforcement, and keep the seams thinner.  

It will be interesting to see how the new kit fares in the field testing.  If I recall, I think the new hot weather cammies were tested out there as well, so there might be some hope here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Some things are constant.

The jungle eats everything, eventually.

The only question is "how long is 'eventually'?", in any given case.

I really want to grab one of these kits but, in my current situation, hard to justify. But I like what you're doing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
Some things are constant.

The jungle eats everything, eventually.

View Quote

This was an interesting read on just that topic.  IIRC, he talks about bacteria eating the glass on compasses.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

This was an interesting read on just that topic.  IIRC, he talks about bacteria eating the glass on compasses.

www.amazon.com/dp/1884067107
View Quote

Good book.  Alot of it is dated or the problems have already been solved, but the CONCEPTS behind it and the brute theme of it is absolutely spot on, and it shows how institutional PRACTICAL knowledge is ignored, then accepted, then canceled, then forgotten, and has to be re-invented again, even though it's been known all along.

And some of the specific stuff in the book is work looking at and re-considering.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#37]
Double-tap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#38]
MAJ Kearney was a full-fledged Genius, who spared no effort in personally testing and refining his proposed gear.  Mostly, the Mil substituted fabrics/material and deleted some features which resulted in the "dumbed-down and so much cheaper to make" gear that was ultimately issued back when.  Sound familiar?

His book "Nuclear War Survival Skills" is free HERE  

Main Kearney web site, where some books can be downloaded free, including "Jungle Snafus..." is HERE

I confess that I have been greatly remiss in not mentioning MAJ Kearney previously.  My mistake.  IMHO, anyone designing/making/using field gear for any purpose will GREATLY benefit from reading Kearney's works.  He was a Genius, and personally tested all his gear.

Yes, some of MAJ Kearney's earlier projects are dated, mostly because we have vastly improved materials nowadays.  However, MAJ Kearney's methodology and testing procedures are still very much valid today.

Similarly, Mel Tappan's book "Survival Guns" is also dated, but again, Tappan's methodology and testing procedures are as valid today as back then.  Survival Guns

"Tappan On Survival" HERE

@diz
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Absolutely Raf.  It's well worth the read.

Also, his nuclear war book is worth having a physical copy of.  There is a new, updated version that simply updates a few things for new tech sake that came out a couple years ago that's worth buying.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#40]
Absolutely Raf.  It's well worth the read.

Also, his nuclear war book is worth having a physical copy of.  There is a new, updated version that simply updates a few things for new tech sake that came out a couple years ago that's worth buying.
View Quote
PLS provide link to updated book.

FWIW, listening to Traffic's "Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys" and moving on to some Steely Dan. Maybe some Jeff Beck.  All best wishes!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Not sure if mentioned already, but Esstac has their own variation of the belt now up on their website. No specific pouches, but the makes for user discretion.
https://esstac.com/shooters-harness-large/
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Not sure if mentioned already, but Esstac has their own variation of the belt now up on their website. No specific pouches, but the makes for user discretion.
https://esstac.com/shooters-harness-large/
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-4z9lxo7ou8/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/558/1514/LBE_FRONT__02550.1712278032.jpg?c=1
View Quote

Velocity Jungle Rig meets BFG Belt Minus
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFS1589] [#43]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

Velocity Jungle Rig meets BFG Belt Minus
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I do not prefer the use of the open ended hooks on the shoulder harness, they always seem to unhook on me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MFS1589:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

I do not prefer the use of the open ended hooks on the shoulder harness, they always seem to unhook on me.
View Quote

Agreed. You'll find a way to unhook one 2sec after you just put a heavy ass ruck on
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Agreed. You'll find a way to unhook one 2sec after you just put a heavy ass ruck on
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

There’s an easy fix, you just wrap the hook in duct or electrical tape to enclose it. They sit nice and flat while being quick/easy to adjust, kinda wish more manufacturers used them.

Went through the pictures and looked over the construction, it’s definitely interesting, Esstac comes out with some cool shit. There’s a lot of adjustment you can make on that thing to get it where you want. Construction’s very piecemeal, like most of the newer designs, so it’s nowhere near as stable as a full belt in a hippo pad.

I’d consider it a lightweight patrol rig rather than a true belt kit, it’s obviously not made for heavy loads, (Hur, hurr) but it can carry more weight, and more comfortably, than a chest rig. I think it’ll shine in that niche, as a hot weather replacement for lightweight-midweight chest rigs with just a few essentials, ammo, comms, medical, water. Might want to have a camelback rather than a canteen, but I’m Not seeing any provision to integrate one into that harness, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#46]
My DZ rig arrived today, I'm Excited to get it set up and get into the woods this weekend

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:33:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFS1589] [#47]

There’s an easy fix, you just wrap the hook in duct or electrical tape to enclose it. They sit nice and flat while being quick/easy to adjust, kinda wish more manufacturers used them.

View Quote

Pure honest question to you for a Learning curve on my part, sure you can fix it but why use them?  Why would I want a semi quick unhook front, and a slower to disconnect back panel in order to make a belt only version? They sit flat sure but how much less than a tri-glide? And you do not quick adjust the hook, just the webbing past the hook just like a normal slide bar adjuster.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:33:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#49]

View Quote
I believe the "open-ended" hooks pictured and to which you refer are called "G-Hooks".  In my limited experience with them, there have been instances where such "G-Hooks" can become detached.  If constant tension is always maintained, they are OK within their load limits.  OTOH, if tension on the "G-Hook" varies, there is the possibility for the webbing to eventually "work its way out" of the "G-Hook".

It may be possible that there are different generations of "G-Hooks"; presumably latest generation addressing prior issues.  If so, strongly suggest latest iterations of "G-Hooks".  IDK.

IMHO, a very specialized use item, and not suitable as a QD attach/detach item for most field gear.  

I have some, and I have yet to find a good use for them.  YMMV.

Maybe the Chicoms have stolen the concept, and "improved" on it: HERE   Interesting rip-off, but not exactly a "quick disconnect" with gloved hands, to say the least.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Pure honest question to you for a Learning curve on my part, sure you can fix it but why use them?  Why would I want a semi quick unhook front, and a slower to disconnect back panel in order to make a belt only version? They sit flat sure but how much less than a tri-glide? And you do not quick adjust the hook, just the webbing past the hook just like a normal slide bar adjuster.

What am I missing?
View All Quotes

What am I missing?

They’re quick adjust/detach in different applications.

Seen how Esstac uses them for their cummerbunds? Using them in slots for attachment/adjustment makes them fast, easy, and simple on things that require frequent adjusting.

The front of the belt isn’t the best use of them, but it works with a very simple modification to make it semi-permanent.
Page / 68
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 64 of 68)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top