Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 65 of 68)
Page / 68
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
As a side note we just got some new CF-1's in, I think in Woodland, MC, and RG.  And I'm pretty sure both Tiger Stripes are coming too but haven't seen them yet.  Same deal, an initial air shipment with the rest coming by sea.  

These assault packs have been completely re-vamped with the most requested features.  The helmet cave now zips completely off.  And it has ladder racks for our toggle pouches.  It now comes with one pouch which will rig onto either the helmet cave or the back of the back.  The harness has been re-designed with a propper yoke, just like the rest of our packs, instead of just hanging two straps on.  This was always the bane of the smaller assault packs, when you actually loaded them up.  We can also make some smaller 1" "tranny" straps for them to rig into a Diz rig, if required.  If there's enough interest, I'll do a small run for youse guys here until factory gets up to speed.  

Cowboy you ain't got no problem man.  You can't be skinny enough, fast enough, or have too much gear.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
SOTECH LISS System Dropdown

I Will leave the comments to you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ma_qUJSQs

View Quote

Just what I want: a bunch of hardware jammed between my pack and armor and squishy me.

Also that's a lot of stuff to fiddle fuck with when on the clock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Seems like if they just wore the belt kit at the waist, you wouldn’t need the buckles that will dig into your back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cap6888:

Seems like if they just wore the belt kit at the waist, you wouldn’t need the buckles that will dig into your back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cap6888:

Agreed. Not sure why you need/want the belt 4” higher if not wearing the pack.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

View Quote

It's helpful in steep terrain where your legs will jam into the bottom of low hanging forward facing pouches and also useful in dense terrain where anything mounted on the waist catches and hangs up on everything. That said, no way would I want the extra pinch points, complexity and unnecessary weight of that system.

A minimized belt system with just the bare essentials (magazines, grenades, radio, ifak) for winning the gun fight is all I want for moving through tough terrain. I also want a narrow pack that is less likely to catch and hang up on vegetation. Anything that doesn't help me win the gun fight, navigate or communicate goes in the pack so that I can drop it to manuver as soon as contact is made.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Combat_Leader:

It's helpful in steep terrain where your legs will jam into the bottom of low hanging forward facing pouches and also useful in dense terrain where anything mounted on the waist catches and hangs up on everything. That said, no way would I want the extra pinch points, complexity and unnecessary weight of that system.

A minimized belt system with just the bare essentials (magazines, grenades, radio, ifak) for winning the gun fight is all I want for moving through tough terrain. I also want a narrow pack that is less likely to catch and hang up on vegetation. Anything that doesn't help me win the gun fight, navigate or communicate goes in the pack so that I can drop it to manuver as soon as contact is made.
View All Quotes

That’s why properly set up belts keep the front entirely clear for mobility. Jacking it up won’t help if the brush is thick enough to make your belt a snag hazard, since your rifle is what will be catching on everything, and it also means the belt is no longer sized correctly for where it should be worn. You’d have to loosen/cinch it every time you change ride height.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

The bit about steep terrain and raising the kit to get front mounted pouches higher makes sense. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]

I think many things come from the way troops are trained and how experience gets passed down. Brits today have twin utility pouches and not a buttpack because in 1958 the "buttpack" was split into two smaller pouches because there was the Need for space to place the entrenching tool...It Is still that way even if the full size shovel is long gone.

Also, don't want to be the FMCO "we don't use zips" guy, but once on a particular occasion my vest became soaked in sweat and beach water and the zippered internal pockets got stuck.
Thankfully:
1- It wasnt an immediately needed items.
2- It was such a High quality item that i could get the zipper unstuck by pulling It open with both hands with the multitool pliers while keeping the vest under my feet without breaking anything. And It worked again.

Based on this limited experience i am not sure i want zippers for certain pouches in certain environments.  
I have noticed that also hook and loop lose effevtiveness in some environments but It can be mitigated by using a lot of It
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0582/0291/4931/files/6230B517-CB4B-4FF2-81CC-E0D4755FFA17_1_105_c_600x600.jpg?v=1683577946
I think many things come from the way troops are trained and how experience gets passed down. Brits today have twin utility pouches and not a buttpack because in 1958 the "buttpack" was split into two smaller pouches because there was the Need for space to place the entrenching tool...It Is still that way even if the full size shovel is long gone.

Also, don't want to be the FMCO "we don't use zips" guy, but once on a particular occasion my vest became soaked in sweat and beach water and the zippered internal pockets got stuck.
Thankfully:
2- It was such a High quality item that i could get the zipper unstuck by pulling It open with both hands with the multitool pliers while keeping the vest under my feet without breaking anything. And It worked again.

Based on this limited experience i am not sure i want zippers for certain pouches in certain environments.  
I have noticed that also hook and loop lose effevtiveness in some environments but It can be mitigated by using a lot of It
View Quote

I heavily dislike zippers for almost anything.

At least Velcro has it's purposes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:20:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#12]
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0582/0291/4931/files/6230B517-CB4B-4FF2-81CC-E0D4755FFA17_1_105_c_600x600.jpg?v=1683577946

Thankfully:

View Quote
I have come to miss FMCO (AntiPersonnel).  He had some unusual and innovative ALICE-based designs, but he offered PALS attachment, if requested.  His Intellectual Property was for sale some time ago and may still be available.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:27:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#13]
For those contemplating on how to carry a pistol in conjunction with a "Jungle Rig", this setup might be of interest, at least as a point of departure.

Pistol Shoulder Harness

Note that drop-down and drop-down swivel attachments come with the kit (see pix).  The holster and mag carrier can be mounted independently of harness/drop-down extenders on any PALS surface.  Everything's ambidextrous, of course.  I bought one, and all items were brand new, and all marked as made by LBT.

HSGI makes 45 Deg and 90 Deg adaptors, and Tactical Tailor may still offer their version:  HSGI PALS Adaptors

Disclaimer: No financial interest.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By raf:
For those contemplating on how to carry a pistol in conjunction with a "Jungle Rig", this setup might be of interest, at least as a point of departure.

Pistol Shoulder Harness

Note that drop-down and drop-down swivel attachments come with the kit (see pix).  The holster and mag carrier can be mounted independently of harness/drop-down extenders on any PALS surface.  Everything's ambidextrous, of course.  I bought one, and all items were brand new, and all marked as made by LBT.

HSGI makes 45 Deg and 90 Deg adaptors, and Tactical Tailor may still offer their version:  HSGI PALS Adaptors

View Quote

I've thrown around the idea of doing a minimalist pistol holster built into the webbing, kinda like a shoulder holster rig.  And putting my big field knife on the other side.  Or doing the same as a shoulder holster in general.  But shoulder holsters tend to flop around a decent amount (i used to wear one a decent amount in the winter under a jacket when I was younger) so meh.  Maybe it would be less floppy if built into the harness system and tied into the belt itself with a mesh extension upwards from the belt, kinda like a mini-LBV, but just to run the pistol above the mag pouches with room to clear the mag pouch lids, and on your side, not front.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:37:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#15]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

I've thrown around the idea of doing a minimalist pistol holster built into the webbing, kinda like a shoulder holster rig.  And putting my big field knife on the other side.  Or doing the same as a shoulder holster in general.  But shoulder holsters tend to flop around a decent amount (i used to wear one a decent amount in the winter under a jacket when I was younger) so meh.  Maybe it would be less floppy if built into the harness system and tied into the belt itself with a mesh extension upwards from the belt, kinda like a mini-LBV, but just to run the pistol above the mag pouches with room to clear the mag pouch lids, and on your side, not front.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raf:

Pistol Shoulder Harness

I am also concerned about linked holsters and mag carriers "flopping around" if not adequately secured at lower sides of both items.

The 45 Deg or 90 Deg "Interface Adaptors" (which can be easily constructed, if not bought outright) should allow attachment of the linked LBT holster and mag carrier to most PALS surfaces as found on either belts, PCs, and other torso-worn items which have PALS webbing; maybe to chest harness rig shoulder straps.

I just received this rig and have not played with it much.  Both holster and mag carrier have enough "attachment points" at their lower surfaces/edges to allow secure QD attachment to underlying platforms, or to an available waist belt.  Simple to make even "no-sew" securing straps.

Quality of items is what one would expect of typical LBT gear, although loose threads inside the holster required a BBQ lighter to remediate.  Small stuff.

It's not often that I suggest specific products, but this one of them.  What one makes of it is only dependent on one's imagination.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Got some dirt time with the DZ rig today, hiked about 4-5 miles round trip and climbed a 6800' ridge to take in the views and eat some lunch. The DZ rig might be the most comfortable rig I've used to date, no bouncing around while going over dead fall and no hotspots at the end of the day. Leaps and bounds better than my old Russian SMERSH rig.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:38:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#17]
Thanks mate but I gotta say, we didn't re-invent the wheel here.  If you combine CF's experience with packs and padded harnesses with the Brit belt kit, you get a very good execution of their basic concept.  

I remember back in the day, we tried every possible combo to get our belt kit comfortable.  It was like putting lipstick on a pig.  If you finally move the mag pouches around to the hips, they don't get in the way on steep terrain.  Not to mention taking a knee, or proning out.

Attachment Attached File

Here I am coming out of a steep creek bed.  This is very typical around here.  Note SR buckle in front of mag pouches.  That is a prototype "tranny" strap attachment point, before I folded it over and sewed it down.

Attachment Attached File

Modifed VelSys mag pouches and JJ's sustainments on another prototype Diz rig.

And yes, the Airframe will fit in the CF1 helmet cave.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
The First Spear Walt works well. I carried a 5" 1911 with a ruck for a week on the AT with a shirt over it.

I just took off the belt clip and replaced it with shock cord. Worked great. Hung a double mag pouch on the shoulder strap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
The First Spear Walt works well. I carried a 5" 1911 with a ruck for a week on the AT with a shirt over it.

I just took off the belt clip and replaced it with shock cord. Worked great. Hung a double mag pouch on the shoulder strap.
View Quote

Yea, I was kinda thinking about something like that, kinda a crossdraw, above the mag pouches, but that was designed into the belt kit system in the first place.  Though the idea of wearing it under the belt kit webbing might be worth approaching too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BlackHills:
Got some dirt time with the DZ rig today, hiked about 4-5 miles round trip and climbed a 6800' ridge to take in the views and eat some lunch. The DZ rig might be the most comfortable rig I've used to date, no bouncing around while going over dead fall and no hotspots at the end of the day. Leaps and bounds better than my old Russian SMERSH rig.

https://i.imgur.com/XWNEeFo.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/7VvgFnX.jpeg
View Quote

Gotta admit: M81 Woodland is hot. Looks like a great time.

If I wasn't awash in belt kit, I'd pick up a DZ Rig.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By lew:

Gotta admit: M81 Woodland is hot. Looks like a great time.

If I wasn't awash in belt kit, I'd pick up a DZ Rig.
View Quote

Same.  If I didn't make my own stuff, I'd probably pick up a DZ Rig and deal with the lack of a real buttpack.  

From everything I've seen - and I haven't handled one personally, but it's very similar in base design as what I do and the British stuff I've played with - it's the best readily available belt kit, especially for the money, on this side of the pond.  By a good bit.  There isn't anything else like it out there in the US or Canada that isn't custom made.  And the Crossfire stuff I DO have is real quality.  I've recommended to a few guys to get the DZ Rig because they wanted something off the shelf.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#24]
While it is in the open for illustrative purposes, also notice how the light and shade affect the camo pattern, even at this close range.  When under the tree cover, add in even more shadow affect.  I wish everyone talking about camo would notice this.  I have patrolled with Hawkeye down in his AO and we have done the tests I have described in the camo threads.  Just patrolling in at each other from 100m.   Of course terrain and lighting vary.  That's why you gotta do it in your terrain.  

But for sure we have been cussing and discussing belt kits for a long time, and his input has been invaluable.  That's a custom prototype Diz rig he has on there.  He ran around in that thing for a long time and gave valuable feedback.  His buddy got a factory model and has been wringing it out as well.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Getting the new rig ready for it’s first outing. Wears very nice with my Eberlestock rucksack (dont recall name, built around an Alice frame)

Will be at a 48hr FTX in the coming weeks to really stretch it’s legs.

Attachment Attached File

I know, I should be a professional photographer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I would like to ready a content list on those rigs shown in this Page, as by chatting with a friend Yesterday It occurred to me that there May be very different expectations about "British" belt kits and what to carry in It.
It would be cool to list:
-content
-duration of Op/ftx/hikes/Hunt/whatever
-whether or not It Is mated with a ruck/day pack (listing ruck content would be a plus)

Not as a suggestion for others, Just to confront ideas.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#27]
Perhaps a full gear dump can be done at some point, however, I will show you the most important thing.

You can put bug spray in little aluminum bottles that wont get smashed and leak everywhere. You can wrap it in camo tape if you are OCD.

This and a bug net for my head go everywhere,

Attachment Attached File

Bros with 13 magazines always looking for my bug spray and sun screen.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I would like to ready a content list on those rigs shown in this Page, as by chatting with a friend Yesterday It occurred to me that there May be very different expectations about "British" belt kits and what to carry in It.
It would be cool to list:
-content
-duration of Op/ftx/hikes/Hunt/whatever
-whether or not It Is mated with a ruck/day pack (listing ruck content would be a plus)

Not as a suggestion for others, Just to confront ideas.
View Quote

Personally?  Basically the same stuff I carried in my old ALICE setup, slightly modernized.

6 x AR magazines
Pistol + an extra magazine  (I can swap this out for another 3 magazines if I need to)
IFAK+Tourniquet  (I can move this to a waistpouch that I keep around if I need to carry ANOTHER 3 magazines)
2 x Nalgene bottles, at least 1 of them steel
Titanium pot w/ lid that fits around one of the nalgene bottles, usually a folding titanium mini stove
Fixed blade knife w/ sheath
Poncho, Poncho liner, pair of socks, cleaning kit, Minimalist emergency food for 24 hours, water purification tablets, mini-brew kit, lighter, paracord, mini 1st aid kit, mostly blister stuff and a tiny bottle of foot powder.

I can also throw on a USGI MOLLE II buttpack on top of my regular buttpack, I can carry an actual rain jacket and a day's regular rations, or whatever.  Grid L2 top maybe.  

My idea is that if I get stuck somewhere without my ruck, I have the bare bones I need to get by for another 24 hours - 48 hours if I have the MOLLE II buttpack added.  Food, water, shelter.  

I have a Crossfire DG3 pack, it's kinda my do-it-all ruck.  It's a bit small for a cold weather ruck, a bit big for a 3 day pack, but I can deal with it if I have to, either way.  I've put a decent amount of effort into keeping my gear as compact as possible.    

I usually have a Hill People Gear Tarahumara pack docked on it - it's a minimalist 'assault pack' sized pack that works well with belt kit.  I keep 2 x canteens and an array of basic support equipment in it - rain jacket, L2 top, basic stuff like bug spray, suntan lotion, gloves, beanie, etc.  I can transfer alot of this into that MOLLE II buttpack, and load this up with a couple days rations or whatever.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:24:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#29]
I did this earlier, but I can put it up again if it helps others think about their stuff. As a reminder, I set mine up for recon 2-gun matches, where everything for the day must be carried on your body and on the clock. The exposed mags up front left are done with that in mind. If I was patrolling in a contested environment, I'd swap out the rifle TACO/2xpistol mag pouch with an enclosed 3x rifle pouch and maybe lose the pistol on the right side for more rifle mags.

Attachment Attached File

Let to right

Single AR mag pouch with a double pistol pouch; 3 x AR mag pouch; dump pouch MOLLE’d to the left sustainment pouch; sus pouch with metal cup/canteen/plastic cup; sus pouch with poncho folded around a trash bag and 10’ of gutted 550 and an IFAK; sus pouch with cleaning kit, pen flare launcher (fire and just kinda goofing around), 24 fire tabs and waterproof matches in a sandwich bag, tan pouch has Tylenol, bandaids, chap stick, flashlight, iodine tablets, and a magnesium fire stick; sus pouch with stove/canteen/plastic cup; radio pouch MOLLE’d to the right sustainment pouch; knife; RTI hanger for holster.

The sus pouches each have another 2-3” of vertical room that I like to use for some sort of calories. I could probably also move some things from the center right sus pouch to the left one with the IFAK/poncho if larger food items would need more of a dedicated pouch. Could also move the fire starting kit to go under the stove/canteen/cup combo. I've also added ~2400cal of hiking bars to the sustainment pouches as emergency fuel.

And a better look of the pouches on the front/sides. I've since moved the knife to the right side to make room for a collapsible dump pouch to hang off the far-left sustainment pouch, as seen in the pic above.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
Perhaps a full gear dump can be done at some point, however, I will show you the most important thing.

You can put bug spray in little aluminum bottles that wont get smashed and leak everywhere. You can wrap it in camo tape if you are OCD.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/IMG_0037_jpeg-3198461.JPG

View Quote

ABSOLUTELY on the bug net.  That stays in my pocket usually.

Luckily I live in the mountains and not many bugs   :-D  

Good tip on the aluminum bottle though.  Where do you get them?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#31]
As always context is everything.  Not only what the mission type/duration is, but also what is your support structure (aka "logistics train").  I try and keep my frame of reference for someone who is an armed civilian in a WROL-type scenario, where support is very limited, if at all.   My "bottom dollar" so to speak is carrying enough stuff for at least 24 hrs, which can be stretched to 48-72 hrs if necessary.  Even if it's just a 4-hour patrol.  My area of operations is rural, woodland country.  My mission will be 99% rural reconnaissance or surveillance.  This is what the Diz rig is optimized for.  

Typical load out might include:
-Diz rig , M/L
-9 x 30-rd 5.56 NATO mags, in 2 x mag pouches
-1 x metal canteen and cup, in sustainment pouch
-fold up stove, heat tabs, and food for 24+ hrs, in sustainment pouch
-Binos, PVS-14, and/or FLIR Breach, in sustainment pouch (spare batts?)
-Gunshot Wound Kit w/TQ in insert, in mag pouch
-1 x smoke or distraction device, in mag pouch

To this I might add:
-rucksack, sized to mission
-2-3L water bladder
-radio, PTT, Ear bud (spare batts?)
-Basha
-sleep roll/bag
-food bag w/stove/fuel
-clothes bag
-smock/windshirt
-mission essential gear (optics, cameras, etc.)
-admin kit
-boo-boo kit
(all this stuff also sized to season and mission)

Pocket stuff:
-compass, "ranger beads" (left chest)
-notebook, pen, small green LED light (right chest)
-map kit (left cargo)
-E&E kit (left shoulder)
-Med kit (right shoulder)
-leatherman tool, and/or folding knife (on/in right cargo)
-Gummy Bears (right cargo)

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#32]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/IMG_0037_jpeg-3198461.JPG

Hippie women sell them at the farmers market with hippie bug spray. I refill them with real bug spray. I am sure they wholesale buy them on amazon or somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#33]
Originally Posted By Diz:
As always context is everything.  Not only what the mission type/duration is, but also what is your support structure (aka "logistics train").  I try and keep my frame of reference for someone who is an armed civilian in a WROL-type scenario, where support is very limited, if at all.   My "bottom dollar" so to speak is carrying enough stuff for at least 24 hrs, which can be stretched to 48-72 hrs if necessary.  Even if it's just a 4-hour patrol.  My area of operations is rural, woodland country.  My mission will be 99% rural reconnaissance or surveillance.  This is what the Diz rig is optimized for.  

Typical load out might include:
-Diz rig , M/L
-9 x 30-rd 5.56 NATO mags, in 2 x mag pouches
-1 x metal canteen and cup, in sustainment pouch
-fold up stove, heat tabs, and food for 24+ hrs, in sustainment pouch
-Binos, PVS-14, and/or FLIR Breach, in sustainment pouch (spare batts?)
-Gunshot Wound Kit w/TQ in insert, in mag pouch
-1 x smoke or distraction device, in mag pouch

To this I might add:
-rucksack, sized to mission
-2-3L water bladder
-radio, PTT, Ear bud (spare batts?)
-Basha
-sleep roll/bag
-food bag w/stove/fuel
-clothes bag
-smock/windshirt
-mission essential gear (optics, cameras, etc.)
-admin kit
-boo-boo kit
(all this stuff also sized to season and mission)

Pocket stuff:
-compass, "ranger beads" (left chest)
-notebook, pen, small green LED light (right chest)
-map kit (left cargo)
-E&E kit (left shoulder)
-Med kit (right shoulder)
-leatherman tool, and/or folding knife (on/in right cargo)
-Gummy Bears (right cargo)

View Quote

I forgot my pocket stuff and a few misc.  Very similar to Diz's actually.

Compass dummy corded to pocket, Ranger beads, mosquito netting, pocket knife, bic lighter, notebook, pen, red mini-mag LED light, map, mini-E&E pocket kit, swiss army knife dummy-corded to pocket, handful of atomic fireball jawbreakers in a baggie, and a few random E&E and emergency survival bits spread here and there.  If I'm rocking a full on smock, especially in winter, I have some more survival stuff stashed in there.  

I'm also playing around with a stripped down, minimalist, much smaller version of a quasi-drop leg E&E pouch to run on the pants belt, dropping just below the belt kit.  But not the big, bulky ones that are out there (which I have).  It'll be smaller and thinner, but longer horizontally.  Think rolled up dump pouch that will hang just below your belt kit, but attached to your pants belt.  

I also have a couple empty frag pouches and a couple empty smoke grenade pouches I have to throw onto the belt kit (molle pouches)

And I do have a radio pouch on there too, currently sized for a baofeng, but I have pouches sized for the bigger military radios too.

And I have a small padded molle pouch attached to the side of the buttpack for a PVS-14.

And I have a leatherman in a pouch between two of my mag pouches on the belt kit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#34]

Hippie women sell them at the farmers market with hippie bug spray. I refill them with real bug spray. I am sure they wholesale buy them on amazon or somewhere.
View Quote

Hippie women ftw!

I found them on amazon, 6 pack for like $12 shipped?  I might get a set.  Though I prefer bug lotion rather than spray......

Also.  Permethrin all the things.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I have had really good luck with the following.  Lasts approx 48 hrs.  Start with GI bug juice (or best equivalent).  Make sure you get it next to skin, around waist, ankles, and cuffs.  Neck optional but recommended.  DO NOT get above eyebrows, or don't say I didn't warn ya.  Now put on cammies, boots, and gloves.  Give yourself a good spray down with Deep Woods OFF.  Buddy team works best here.  Close eyes and hold breath.  Go forth and do good things.  

Medical kit:
-small gauze rolls
-4 x 4's
-Steri strips
-stretch bandage tape
-misc bandaids
-AB ointment
-no.11 x-acto knife blades
-Pills (Tylenol, Aleve, Imodium, pepto, Benadryl, and multi-spectrum A-B, and stronger pain relief, if available)
-Mole Skin

E&E kit:
-duct tape
-para cord
-snare wire
-fish hooks
-Matches
-Lighter
-small multitool
-Small LED light
-money
-other kit to suit terrain and situation

Admin Crap (usually in ruck top flap):
-face paint and bug juice
-spare batts as required
-rifle cleaning and tool kit (could also be on belt kit)
-Extra maps sheets as required
-GPS when not in use
-Wallet, keys, and phone (for training)
-toilet art kit, wash cloth, and towel
-TP and poop bags (if no trace is desirable)
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Diz:
I have had really good luck with the following.  Lasts approx 48 hrs.  Start with GI bug juice (or best equivalent).  Make sure you get it next to skin, around waist, ankles, and cuffs.  Neck optional but recommended.  DO NOT get above eyebrows, or don't say I didn't warn ya.  Now put on cammies, boots, and gloves.  Give yourself a good spray down with Deep Woods OFF.  Buddy team works best here.  Close eyes and hold breath.  Go forth and do good things.  

View Quote

Just another reminder why I moved back to the mountains and don't plan to leave.  I don't need to go this hardcore.  Basically I just have to worry about ticks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#37]
@marnsdorff hooked me up with four SVD/20rd PMAG pouches.

Got some quick and dirty pics before folks came over for a firepit/dinner evening.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

These pouches are overbuilt to all get out, but I can’t wait to run them in a DMR match.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#38]
@marnsdorff hooked me up with four SVD/20rd PMAG pouches.

Got some quick and dirty pics before folks came over for a firepit/dinner evening.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5818_jpeg-3199894.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5817_jpeg-3199895.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5819_jpeg-3199897.JPG

These pouches are overbuilt to all get out, but I can’t wait to run them in a DMR match.
View Quote

Took me forever to figure out the correct order to put them all together with the webbing in there too.  (they're lined with webbing)

I think next time we can do without the webbing though.

I tried my best to balance security and being able to run 20 round .308 Pmags in there.  It's doable.  I don't think they will fall out or anything, but they aren't optimized for the pmags.  However, it wouldn't be hard to modify it specifically for the pmags.  It would still run SVD mags, they would just be too deep in the mag pouches to work right.

But yea,  Those should serve you well.  I put extra effort into making sure things are well built.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#39]
I like his style.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Ben:
So I just received four of these shortly after being told I'm deploying as a foreign advisor again.

Stitching seems fine, I got two sets in 500D Cordura that is OD green, and two sets as pictured below in 1000D Cordura.

I'm thinking the pouches definitely need to be sewn directly to the belts. Also, the larger mag pouches are oddly sized, and can take two aluminum M4 magazines comfortably, but not PMAGs. The smaller pouches seem to be designed for the Vietnam Era 20 round magazines, though I'm going to check later today and see if an L1A1 mag will fit.

No markings on these whatsoever. Without me digging through thr thread again, any suggestions on a pouch that will integrate nicely and hold the old 1 quart aluminum canteens?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/1000000324-3200294.jpg
Ben
View Quote

How do the pouches attach to the belt?

It kinda looks like a SMERSH SVD rig.  What weapons platform are you going to be running?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#42]
Yea, I'm 99% sure that's a knockoff of a Russian SMERSH rig with pouches for SVD Dragunov magazines.  Though it COULD have pouches for VSS magazines, though those would be far more rare.

The big pouches are designed to hold 2 x SVD magazines each, the little ones are actually frag pouches.

Do the ammo pouches attach directly to the hard webbing belt?  Or are they attached via MOLLE?  They make them both ways.

Most SMERSH rigs I've seen with canteen pouches use MOLLE attachment versions of a 'flask pouch' that very much looks like an oldschool US canteen pouch, but with molle instead of alice clips.  Like in the following picture.

SMERSH rigs aren't bad for what they are.  Yea, you would do good to get the pouches permanently sewn on once you get it dialed in how you like it.  You can also move the back pack down to run it like a buttpack.  You technically can swap out the mag pouches for bigger ones, usually AK pouches.  Though they would be hard to get these days, as Russian stuff is hard to get now.

I hope this helps?  Got any more questions, let 'em rip.

Edit:  Link to Russian SMERSH SVD rig for comparison.

https://kula-tactical.com/smersh-svd
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#43]

It kinda looks like a SMERSH SVD rig.  What weapons platform are you going to be running?
View All Quotes
So I just received four of these shortly after being told I'm deploying as a foreign advisor again.

Stitching seems fine, I got two sets in 500D Cordura that is OD green, and two sets as pictured below in 1000D Cordura.

I'm thinking the pouches definitely need to be sewn directly to the belts. Also, the larger mag pouches are oddly sized, and can take two aluminum M4 magazines comfortably, but not PMAGs. The smaller pouches seem to be designed for the Vietnam Era 20 round magazines, though I'm going to check later today and see if an L1A1 mag will fit.

No markings on these whatsoever. Without me digging through thr thread again, any suggestions on a pouch that will integrate nicely and hold the old 1 quart aluminum canteens?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/1000000324-3200294.jpg
Ben

Agreed. I’m almost certain it’s a Russian SVD rig.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Smersh rigs are unavailable those days, only copies from AliExpress or similar sites are available and the used ones pass hands for very High prices, even the most modern ones that werent collectible.

A friend these days was selling his recent SSO One for 100€ and would go down to 80€ for friends, i suggested to put It in some telegram group and in a few hours people were fighting for It shooting private higher offers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Smersh rigs are unavailable those days, only copies from AliExpress or similar sites are available and the used ones pass hands for very High prices, even the most modern ones that werent collectible.

A friend these days was selling his recent SSO One for 100€ and would go down to 80€ for friends, i suggested to put It in some telegram group and in a few hours people were fighting for It shooting private higher offers.
View Quote

Arktis has a new production version they are making that comes out fall of 2024.  Western made SMERSH.  Who'da thought?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

That’s crazy! They’re about as far from optimal load bearing equipment as one can get these days compared to new offerings in the West. Save for an old Soviet-era belt pouch for your 4x AKM or SVD mags, that is.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:58:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#47]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#48]

They are attached via flimsy MOLLE type...but the belt has no MOLLE, so they just kinda slide around. I'll probably have a Mk18 or M4.

I'm going wolf hunting in Idaho for the next week,  so I'll try and wear this and see what is most comfortable before sewing stuff on.
View Quote

Are those SMERSH rigs for your overseas gig or for non-overseas stuff?  If you're taking them into spicy zones or whatever, you might be better off swapping out those pouches, especially the smaller ones, for some actual mag pouches designed for your gun.  Some of those cheap British surplus DPM PLCE mag pouches would probably fit the belt (I think it's a regular web belt size?)  You can still get the British mag pouches cheap.

Those SMERSH rigs aren't horrible (like said above, they aren't nearly as nice as the newer western stuff) but they work fine and have a certain aesthetic to them.  There's definitely nothing WRONG with them as long as they are made well.  The biggest complaints I've heard were that the fabric was flimsy (alot of the Russian ones are 300d fabric) and that the russian metal buckles quickly rust.  

As for canteen pouches, you could throw some oldschool USGI alice canteen pouches on it, or whatever molle canteen pouches.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Any tips for adjusting a DZ Rig (or other 6pt belt kit)?  I just tried it out, and it's definitely more comfortable than most options, but I did have some bounce while jogging and feel like a good portion of the weight is still on my shoulders.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#50]
Originally Posted By raimius:
Any tips for adjusting a DZ Rig (or other 6pt belt kit)?  I just tried it out, and it's definitely more comfortable than most options, but I did have some bounce while jogging and feel like a good portion of the weight is still on my shoulders.
View Quote

Did you have loaded mags in the mag pouches and what was in the sus pouches?

Add 60-240rds of 5.56, 2-3qts of water, and other 24hr kit and the rig stays down when hustlin'
Page / 68
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 65 of 68)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top