Site Notices
Machine Sewing Question (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

Ya man, your machine has that cool blue color going for it.  Mine is kinda blah plain beige.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
Originally Posted By raf:
This will have to do as far as pix of my Brother machine go:  HERE

Ya man, your machine has that cool blue color going for it.  Mine is kinda blah plain beige.
We "cognoscenti" call it "Turquoise".     Some "La-Di-Da" types call it "Aquamarine".
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
We "cognoscenti" call it "Turquoise".     Some "La-Di-Da" types call it "Aquamarine".
View Quote

And the ladies call it  'CUTE!'.....

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my many personal goals, once I have learned how to operate my sewing machine is to make "Action Covers" for certain rifles which require them.

See this, posted elsewhere:
"M-16/AR-15 owes a great deal of its reliability to the Ejection Port cover, and its easy use.  Without such EP cover, or user failing to secure it, the AR platform suffers.

Both Germans and Brits during WW I (and afterwards) had cloth action covers for their bolt action rifles.  Japs had a clanky, noisy metal cover for some of their bolt action rifles, which is seldom seen as many were discarded.

The Main Point of preventing crud ingress into the rifle's action is still quite valid, no matter the rifle used.  Owners of M1, M-14, M1A, Mini 14/30 rifles may benefit from securing a small piece of tape over the open portion of the receiver where crud ingress is possible.  Such tape can be "blown-off" with the first shot and replaced.  Kinda like a plastic muzzle cap.  Much more bother than the AR's EP cover, but can be done.

I've seen the "mud tests" of various rifles, including the M-14/M1A/M1 rifles.  A small 2" long bit of even common masking tape would have gone a long way towards preventing crud ingress, and likely significantly changing results of the "mud tests".  Granted that users would need to have such tape available and be damn well trained in applying it.  Once troops understand that such measures may mean their life or death, I reckon most troops will do the right thing."

I'm hoping to be able to construct cloth "Action Covers" which will self-remove at first shot by a semi-auto rifle, or initial manipulation and rear movement the bolt on a bolt-action rifle, and which Action Covers are easily installed/removed by the user, at their will.  Retained by simple GI "Accessory cord" and of scant weight.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#4]
Goal is to bind edges inside various GI MOLLE pouches, after searing edges of fabric.

Need to learn how to machine-sew GrosGrain "binding" tape on unbound edges of nylon fabric.  90% of the time, fabric will be typical GI (200D?) fabric, 2 layers plus grosgrain binder.  Mostly about 1/2" down to 1/4" width of fabric available for binding.  Is there a way to hold the grosgrain ribbon in place prior to stitching?

Have a "decent" all-metal home sewing machine--no fancy features-- and plan to have an actual seamstress give me some lessons using it.

Will also need advice on proper thread and appropriate needles.  Grosgrain probably from Rockywoods.

I'm a total Newb when it comes to machine sewing, but hopefully some lessons will take the curse off most of that.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

No expert but there is a doo dad for that that feeds the tape and folds it over the top of the cloth edge.  I forget if it attaches to the foot or gets affixed to the plate.

A double folding edge banding foot is what I was thinking of.

My ancient singer 99 I don’t have any of those accessories that would be handy.  In lieu of an edge band foot that guides your folded edge I have thick refrigerator magnet I position to the right of the foot as a guide.  Rude and crude but it works.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That's actually a really good idea, depending on terrain and your association with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

No expert but there is a doo dad for that that feeds the tape and folds it over the top of the cloth edge.  I forget if it attaches to the foot or gets affixed to the plate.

My ancient singer 99 I don't have any of those accessories that would be handy.  In lieu of an edge band foot that guides your folded edge I have thick refrigerator magnet I position to the right of the foot as a guide.  Rude and crude but it works.
View Quote
You might be surprised, after a bit of looking, what is available for your particular machine.

As for myself, with "low-shank" Brother machine, I've found some decent, all-metal pressor feet with 1/4" Guide which seem to comport well with sewing-on grosgrain ribbon onto existing raw edges of fabric.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Diz:
That's actually a really good idea, depending on terrain and your association with it.
View Quote
?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#8]

My ancient singer 99 I don't have any of those accessories that would be handy.  In lieu of an edge band foot that guides your folded edge I have thick refrigerator magnet I position to the right of the foot as a guide.  Rude and crude but it works.
View Quote
Would something like THIS be an improvement?

@SteelonSteel
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:44:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#9]
Would something like THIS be an improvement?

@SteelonSteel
View Quote

Hugely, thank you sir!    I can retire the Golden Girls refrigerator magnet my friend bought me to bust my balls when I retired.  That is now in my Amazon cart.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are dedicated tools that fit the 1950 or later singer I use but that is a useful easy button buy to pick up!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#10]
?
View Quote

I am thinking he is referring to your modern action covers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, the depth and breadth of knowledge here is absolutely astounding !!!

Arfcom SME's continue to spread the info, regardless of topic.!!

As I've mentioned a few times, I spent many years on ocean-racing sailboats, traveling to many parts of this semi-flooded rock.
One of the many tasks on older sailboats was constant repair to the sails, especially under racing conditions, where too-big sails were left up, for a little more speed.
Or sometimes, a lot more speed, with occasional spin-outs, broaches, and the like.

My mother was an avid seamstress, constantly making clothes for her 4 kids, and teaching all of us how to sew. I po-po'ed it at the time, but when I left home to sail the world, my sewing skills got put to good use. Since I quit sailing, my sewing needs have diminished, but I still have an extensive sewing kit that I cherish greatly.

Thanks, MOM!!!

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Hugely, thank you sir!    I can retire the Golden Girls refrigerator magnet my friend bought me to bust my balls when I retired.  That is now in my Amazon cart.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are dedicated tools that fit the 1950 or later singer I use but that is a useful easy button buy to pick up!
View Quote
IDK if you are interested in obtaining accessories for your Singer, but I'll quote this helpful article which might save you some time and hassle HERE

@SteelonSteel
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, very interesting and I certainly am no expert.   I get by hemming new trousers and have reworked the seat of really heavy horse blanket wool uniform pants that a retiring guy turned in.  They were way warmer than the polyester wool crap they bought in my time.  

I modify my hunting clothes and make a few small pouches.

No packs or gear.  

I do see there are better tooling for perfect hemming than what was doing.

My machine is older than I am but for sure they made all sorts of attachments way back them too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:37:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#14]
Thanks, very interesting and I certainly am no expert.   I get by hemming new trousers and have reworked the seat of really heavy horse blanket wool uniform pants that a retiring guy turned in.  They were way warmer than the polyester wool crap they bought in my time.  

I modify my hunting clothes and make a few small pouches.

No packs or gear.  

I do see there are better tooling for perfect hemming than what was doing.

My machine is older than I am but for sure they made all sorts of attachments way back them too.
View Quote
Please LMK if I can be of assistance.  As you likely know, Diz and marnsdorff are actual experts; I'm just an amateur.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By us-kiwi:
Wow, the depth and breadth of knowledge here is absolutely astounding !!!

Arfcom SME's continue to spread the info, regardless of topic.!!

As I've mentioned a few times, I spent many years on ocean-racing sailboats, traveling to many parts of this semi-flooded rock.
One of the many tasks on older sailboats was constant repair to the sails, especially under racing conditions, where too-big sails were left up, for a little more speed.
Or sometimes, a lot more speed, with occasional spin-outs, broaches, and the like.

My mother was an avid seamstress, constantly making clothes for her 4 kids, and teaching all of us how to sew. I po-po'ed it at the time, but when I left home to sail the world, my sewing skills got put to good use. Since I quit sailing, my sewing needs have diminished, but I still have an extensive sewing kit that I cherish greatly.

Thanks, MOM!!!

View Quote

lol, I wasn't into learning to sew from my mother, though she forced me to learn the basics of both hand sewing and machine sewing as a kid.  I've always used it for random stuff, even did a few 'craft' type projects (viking reenactment gear anyone?)  and dabbled in leather working, which uses a variation of hand sewing.  Always repairing little things and replacing buttons for people.  

But in the end, the basics she taught me + a cheapo thrift store sewing machine has led me to what I do now.  Which is awesome.

And want to know the funny thing?  I moved my mother in with me after my father passed away.  (which is weird on it's own) but she recently retired from nursing, and is starting to work with me on the side, learning to sew tactical gear from me.  Which is super weird.  What is that quote from Star Wars?  "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner; now I am the master!"  -  which I am totally going to tell her next time she's working with me.  Which is definitely going to get me smacked.  Because she knows alot of stuff I don't about other sewing things, especially apparel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#16]

View Quote

My first machine was made when my mother was still a child.  Those older domestic machines are generally better than the modern domestic machines.  I picked mine up for like $15 at a thrift store, and after a few cheap upgrades and tweaks - maybe $100 into it? - it's a dang good little machine that will even do light tactical gear.

Don't discount those older machines.  And those older industrial machines will still bang out serious gear.

Also realize those older domestic machines?  They were made during a time when ALOT of people's clothing were either made at home or touched up / modified / tailored at home.  My mother was modifying most of her clothing in the 60's and early 70's.  My grandmother was making half of her clothing and touching up the rest before that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Please LMK if I can be of assistance.  As you likely know, Diz and marnsdorff are actual experts; I'm just an amateur.
View Quote

I am FAR from an expert.  

What I am is someone who knew the basics, got a cheap machine, did a crash course into sewing tactical gear and learned alot as I went.  And can pass on the entry level basics that I went to great length to learn.  I can tell you how to get up and running and put out decent looking stuff.  And I'm pretty good at being able to put together gear designs and turn them into finished products.  But I am just now learning the real little tricks and tips and such.  

But yea, if you have any questions, ask away, I can probably at least point you in the right direction.  And then Diz and a few others that poke around here who know more can stomp on my dick and tell you the RIGHT way to do it.   :-D
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:14:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#18]
I consider diz and marnsdorff to be "posting" experts here, along with a few others.  All useful info from them, and Zero BS.

I got "lucky" and had a friend who educated me on how to run my $14.99 (Thrift Store) all-metal 1958 Brother sewing machine; My good luck, but others may have similar luck if they ask around.

Many folks here with far more advanced skills than mine.

Listen to them all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I consider diz and marnsdorff to be "posting" experts here, along with a few others.  All useful info from them, and Zero BS.

I got "lucky" and had a friend who educated me on how to run my $14.99 (Thrift Store) all-metal 1958 Brother sewing machine; My good luck, but others may have similar luck if they ask around.

Many folks here with far more advanced skills than mine.

Listen to them all.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Machine Sewing Question (Page 2 of 2)
Top Top