Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2012 2:50:05 PM EDT
I'm sure this has probably been asked before but I gotta ask....I'm really wanting a 22LR MP5 clone and after reading everything I can find on both of them I'm still not convinced which I want.  I'm leaning towards the HK version just because it says HK on it but if one is clearly better than the other I would go with that one.

Of you guys who have these guns what do you suggest?  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The HK gun, hands down.

Flat out a better built gun in every way.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The HK gun, hands down.

why?

not trying to ask a stupid question, but what makes it better?   I've been facing a similar dilemma.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The HK gun, hands down.

why?
not trying to ask a stupid question, but what makes it better?   I've been facing a similar dilemma.

The HK is engineered and made by Walther for starters, their reputation needs no further explaining. Compared to the GSG, the stock works better, it has push pins vs screws, the over all build quality is just better.

GSG lost a law suit filed by HK, forcing them to redesign their gun as to not infringe on HK's design patents. Consequently, the HK .22 is truer to the platform it's recreating, the MP5.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure HK is built by Umerex, not HK. I believe they just throw the HK name on it much like they do with the their colt version. Its pretty much a hk design but others manufacturing.

I own the gsg522sd and its a awsome plinker. ive been thinking about picking up the HK version to do a side by side comparison. but have yet to do so.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure HK is built by Umerex, not HK. I believe they just throw the HK name on it much like they do with the their colt version. Its pretty much a hk design but others manufacturing.

I own the gsg522sd and its a awsome plinker. ive been thinking about picking up the HK version to do a side by side comparison. but have yet to do so.

You are wrong. The HK 22s are built by Walther who is owned by Umarex and imported by Umarex made under license by HK.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a GSG-5 SD but sold it once I got the HK version.  I loved my GSG but the HK clone is much nicer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm leaning heavily towards the HK now but not sure which model. What's the difference between the two different models of the HK?  Is it just the fore grip with one being round and one being squarish or is there some other differences? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm leaning heavily towards the HK now but not sure which model. What's the difference between the two different models of the HK?  Is it just the fore grip with one being round and one being squarish or is there some other differences? Thanks

The HK's are the same guns.

One recreating the look of the HKMP5SD, while the other is a recreation of the MP5A1.

Just a matter of aesthetic appeal, not functionality or features....same guns inside.

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 4:20:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Umarex. The same company that destroyed Marlin? I will never buy from any company that those bean-counters took over and ruined.

[quote]Quoted:
Quoted:

You are wrong. The HK 22s are built by Walther who is owned by Umarex and imported by Umarex made under license by HK.[/quote]

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Umarex. The same company that destroyed Marlin? I will never buy from any company that those bean-counters took over and ruined.

[quote]Quoted:
Quoted:

You are wrong. The HK 22s are built by Walther who is owned by Umarex and imported by Umarex made under license by HK.

Actually you are wrong too.  Umarex and Wather are owned by the same parent company but Umarex does not own Walther.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/06/walther-goes-it-alone-ends-distribution-deal-with-sw/

[/quote]

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Good to know, thanks.

Quoted:
Quoted:

[quote]Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually you are wrong too.  Umarex and Wather are owned by the same parent company but Umarex does not own Walther.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/06/walther-goes-it-alone-ends-distribution-deal-with-sw/

[/quote]

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[quote]Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, I had one part wrong, a mere technicality.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
"The HK is engineered and made by Walther for starters, their reputation needs no further explaining."

In July I picked up my new Umarex-imported, Walther-manufactured, IWI -licensed Uzi 22...that was assembled without any extractor assembly (spring, plunger, extractor clip).  Kudos to Umarex for their prompt and courteous customer service in getting it fixed!  I sent a terse, professional email to Walther in Germany and either they couldn't translate it into German (as evidenced by some of their very poor/ confusing translations to English in the instruction manual) or they didn't care as I never got any acknowledgement.

The Walther that made my sweet post-WWII Manhurin PP doesn't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I handled one of the GSGs a while ago and was not impressed, I decided to wait for the HK and I'm glad I did.  2,500 rounds through my MP5SD so far, not one malfunction of any kind.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The HK gun, hands down.

This.

I love mine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

One recreating the look of the HKMP5SD, while the other is a recreation of the MP5A1.

Just a matter of aesthetic appeal, not functionality or features....same guns inside.

I'm torn on the two styles,  which do you guys prefer and why? I'm kind of thinking the A5 because it looks more like most of the MP5's I've seen but then then the SD does look really cool with the flush mounted compensator.....ack!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm leaning heavily towards the HK now but not sure which model. What's the difference between the two different models of the HK? Is it just the fore grip with one being round and one being squarish or is there some other differences? Thanks

I'm torn on the two styles, which do you guys prefer and why? I'm kind of thinking the A5 because it looks more like most of the MP5's I've seen but then then the SD does look really cool with the flush mounted compensator.....ack!!

I have the SD model, but both are pretty slick looking.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm getting the A5 because it's cheaper. I'm going to replace the barrel with the 416 pistol barrel and get a real suppressor for it. Gotta save money where I can.

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Are the 416 pistol barrels available yet?  I've already got my Form 1 back for my .22 MP5 but have been waiting for the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Umarex HK built very stout. High quality and is not picky about ammo. Of all the upgrades you do on the GSG you could have bought the HK. And it would still be more reliable and higher quality. The retractable stock alone is worth $300. It is identical to genuine HK mp5 stock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#21]
The HK MP5/22s will run straight out of the box and are closest to being a real MP and this is reflected in the price. GSGs are cheaper, but by the time you purchase all the extras to get it to the same level as the HK, you will have paid just as much if not more.

GSG mags are are a few dollars cheaper, there are more aftermarket products designed specifically for it, and there is more experience fitting airsoft products to it as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Which ever flavor you chose do yourself a favor and buy a fixed stock for it. I bought the H&K version and did not care for the collapsible stock due to it's short length when extended.

For me the fixed stock made the difference between keeping and getting rid of it. I got several Federal bulk packs through it now without a issue.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#23]
^^^ I actually prefer the collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Are the 416 pistol barrels available yet?  I've already got my Form 1 back for my .22 MP5 but have been waiting for the barrel.

Uh, yes they are available...
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, yes they are available...
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_5208.jpg

Please give us some details on where you purchased the 416 barrel from: cost and what was involved in the sbr conversion and a final shooting report.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For me it was simply a sighting type of thing having a lot to do with my old eyes not being able to see the irons properly with the shorter stock. You youngins should be fine with the shorter stock.

That said the collapsible stock was not near as solid feeling either. They are not the same mil-spec collapible stocks found on the real deal and they have a good deal of vertical play.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 4:39:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For me it was simply a sighting type of thing having a lot to do with my old eyes not being able to see the irons properly with the shorter stock. You youngins should be fine with the shorter stock.

That said the collapsible stock was not near as solid feeling either. They are not the same mil-spec collapible stocks found on the real deal andthey have a good deal of vertical play.

Understood.

Mine however doesn't have this vertical play you're referring to though.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Another issue with the collapsible stock comes into play with hearing protection.  Ear plugs are fine, but I have been having issues when using muffs.   I have been having an issue with breaking the seal on my right muff while looking down the sights.  I haven't had this issue with other rifles while wearing muffs.  I still intend to get the fixed stock and the tri-rail for my MP5 .22lr, I just need to finish up with the finally touches on my new 27'x18' patio, then I'll be able to put money into my firearms again.  My mother in law arrives next Tuesday morning, so it will be easier to get time to go to the range while she is with us for the next couple of months.  I plan to get a few more ammo types to run through the HK and will post results in my review thread.  

On a side note, I am so far behind on what I had hoped to do firearm wise this year.  I still need the rails and stock for the MP5, optics for my AR, barrel shroud and improved charging handle for the HiPoint 995, and I still need to run between 100 to 200 hollow points through the 1911 that replaced my Sigma SW40VE  and the Ruger LCR .357 (that I sold to buy the 1911) as my carry piece.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Looks great!  Did you order it from Umarex directly?

ETA:  Nevermind, I found your post on HKP.  I can't find the barrel on Umarex's website.  Did you just e-mail them directly and put it on order?
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Please tell us where you got the 416 barrel.  I'm trying to do the the easiest way possible but want to make sure I can source everything first.  Also how much was it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#31]
can you swap parts between the SD and A version ?Let's say you have the SD and want the A look. Can you just change the hand guard and fake suppressor ?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my HK MP5SD!

The Niece and brother with it in action!

I bought the .22 mainly for the younger kids in the family to be able to shoot and to bring them up to the larger caliber guns.  But after shooting the HK...  Damn if this thing isnt fun as hell to shoot.  And alot cheaper than the 6920!

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Update:  I got the HK SD and really glad I did.  There's just something cool about the suppressor looking barrel.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it out to shoot yet but I tricked it out with a Vortex Strike fire red/green dot sight.  There's very little play in the collapsible stock so that was something I had worried about.  I was pleasantly surprised how heavy and well made the gun was.  I'm itching to get some trigger time heh heh.  Oh, and there's no need for the super expensive HK rail for the top, you can buy a smaller one on Amazon for around $20 and it's rock solid.  I can't remember the brand name but if you do a search for them and check the reviews you'll know which it is.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
can you swap parts between the SD and A version ?Let's say you have the SD and want the A look. Can you just change the hand guard and fake suppressor ?

I would assume you could. If someone posts up a picture of their SD sans handguard and suppresor I'm sure we could figure it out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Update:  I got the HK SD and really glad I did.  There's just something cool about the suppressor looking barrel.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it out to shoot yet but I tricked it out with a Vortex Strike fire red/green dot sight.  There's very little play in the collapsible stock so that was something I had worried about.  I was pleasantly surprised how heavy and well made the gun was.  I'm itching to get some trigger time heh heh.  Oh, and there's no need for the super expensive HK rail for the top, you can buy a smaller one on Amazon for around $20 and it's rock solid.  I can't remember the brand name but if you do a search for them and check the reviews you'll know which it is.

Thats great!!!  Enjoy it!  I love my SD model.

As for the rail, there is another thread on here about the MP5A1 review that has some really good details on the rails and which ones work, work well, work with mod and dont work worth a damn.  One thing I noticed about the different rails I bought, is that the picatinny cuts seem to be hit or miss as far as spec on some of the cheaper models.

The one I have in that picture with the chicom t1 clone is the walther marked model (not the $100 model).  I think it was like $20 or 30.  But it is the most solid one I have.

Congrats again!  Post the pics!!!

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would assume you could. If someone posts up a picture of their SD sans handguard and suppresor I'm sure we could figure it out.

I havent pulled the handguard off mine yet, but I have read from several threads on here and hk forums that no, they are NOT interchangeable.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I havent pulled the handguard off mine yet, but I have read from several threads on here and hk forums that no, they are NOT interchangeable.

Hmm, wonder what's different between the two.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm, wonder what's different between the two.

Dunno.  If I get some time this weekend, I'll see if I can disassemble the hand guard and get some pic up.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#39]
that would be great. thanks ! I'm buying one next week ;)
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#40]
It is a shame that you are unable to take the HK MP5 22lr and mod it to a 9mm.

I must say though, I have the SD model from HK and love it. It is a lot of fun to plink around!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#41]
just picked up the HK MP5 SD6 from my FFL..

now to order some more mags....just in case...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As for the rail, there is another thread on here about the MP5A1 review that has some really good details on the rails and which ones work, work well, work with mod and dont work worth a damn.  One thing I noticed about the different rails I bought, is that the picatinny cuts seem to be hit or miss as far as spec on some of the cheaper models.

The one I have in that picture with the chicom t1 clone is the walther marked model (not the $100 model).  I think it was like $20 or 30.  But it is the most solid one I have.

The rail is a "Soft Air Rail Mount for MP5 Style Rifles" sold on Amazon (currently out of stock).  I think it was around $25 and made out of metal.  It fit great and seems pretty strong.  Soooo glad I didn't spend $100+ on the HK version.  I'll post pics once I get a chance to finally shoot it lol.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The rail is a "Soft Air Rail Mount for MP5 Style Rifles" sold on Amazon (currently out of stock).  I think it was around $25 and made out of metal.  It fit great and seems pretty strong.  Soooo glad I didn't spend $100+ on the HK version.  I'll post pics once I get a chance to finally shoot it lol.

EEEEEEEK! Double post!  Mods please delete this one
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Yea there are several variants of mounts that will work.  Some require a little "fitting" and others will drop right in.  All are airsoft quality and about the $10-$30 range.  I have several of them that I bought to test out.  One of them is actually made for the GSG which apparently has a thinner upper receiver width as it will not even come close to seating.

I'll try to get some pics of the different ones I have this week since I am off after Weds.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top